Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If anything, wouldn't these rulings make the conservative base get more riled up and hit the polls in retaliation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Useless Shotgun posted:

I feel like the Republicans are running on just pure spite now.

"now"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

site posted:

If anything, wouldn't these rulings make the conservative base get more riled up and hit the polls in retaliation?

Sure, since the elections are in (Checks watch) 16 months

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

site posted:

There is a point of diminishing returns on that though. They might equally feel simply too defeated to be arsed to care. This is especially likely if the Republicans nominate someone who still has some tattered remnant of his sanity (Jeb! or Rubio).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Mordiceius posted:

My roommate and I were talking about it and it just really feels like there is no way for conservative running to salvage their candidacies.

Yeap, a lot of people were like "how can there even BE a Republican Party now?" in 2008. Holy poo poo they were wrong. Democrats need to do more than just high-five each other when victories happen.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Yeap, a lot of people were like "how can there even BE a Republican Party now?" in 2008. Holy poo poo they were wrong. Democrats need to do more than just high-five each other when victories happen.

Why would Democrats (as in, the establishment party) do that? They need wedge issues as much as Republicans do, because otherwise it's harder to hide the fact that they both get on their knees for the wealthy. Each of these serves as the other's Goldstein for the farcical two minutes hate we call "election day."

That's why it will be a cold day in hell before either party takes meaningful action on their respective social issues at the national level. Tinkering around the edges, rearranging the deck chairs, whatever you want to call it, is fine. But it took a (conservative) SCOTUS to make marriage equality a thing, and only then after the movement had reached enough critical mass in spite of the party apparatus.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Woah. Bernie just called for a constitutional amendment in response to the Supreme Court decision.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

site posted:

Right, because they haven't been at maximum frothy outrage for 7 years already.

At some point, the law of diminishing returns takes effect, and you can't gin up any more outrage than already exists. And hell--if the Freep thread is any indication, some of them are just throwing up their hands and going "welp, America died today".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hey gays, congrats on your human rights. Buy some poo poo.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bernie is doing better in Hew Hampshire than Obama was at the same period in 2007:

quote:

The poll has Sanders receiving the support of 35% of likely Democratic voters while Clinton is at 43%. Vice-president Joe Biden, who has not indicated that he will mount a presidential bid, is at 8% and the former Maryland governor Martin O’Malley is at 2%.

The poll has Clinton with a far slimmer lead than she possessed at this time eight years ago. In June 2007 a CNN/WMUR poll gave Clinton a 36%-22% lead over Barack Obama in New Hampshire.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/25/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-new-hampshire-democrats-poll?CMP=fb_us

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Joementum posted:

Hey gays, congrats on your human rights. Buy some poo poo.

Eh, that's just boilerplate lovely merch. I find this to be a lot stupider:

"Non-working"

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Yay Madison, WI gets to feel the Bern next Wednesday! It will be nice for someone running or thinking of running for president to pay attention to us.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Anyone see Obama's eulogy for Clementa Pinckney? Incredibly moving.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

MH Knights posted:

Yay Madison, WI gets to feel the Bern next Wednesday! It will be nice for someone running or thinking of running for president to pay attention to us.

Your governor sure as hell isn't (or what attention he's paying, it isn't good).

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

This was added afterwards:

quote:

Shortly after publication of this item, a Univision spokesperson told the On Media blog that the following directive had been sent to all employees: "As part of this decision, [Univision Communications Inc.] employees should not stay at Trump properties while on company business or hold events/activities there."

Trump should start more feuds, imo

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

mandatory lesbian posted:

im pretty sure lindsey graham said that "we should respect the judges decision" but i might be hallucinating

Yeah but it's Lindsey Graham, c'mon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

2008 was a 3-way race at this point in time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Skwirl posted:

2008 was a 3-way race at this point in time.

With Lincoln Chafee, it's a 3.28084 way foot race this year.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Joementum posted:

Who?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

I love you joementum, never change.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
According to John Stewart, now Bobby Jindal, Gov. of Louisiana, has thrown his hat into the ring. Certainly a candidate that will get far, no doubt about it.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Bernie is doing better in Hew Hampshire than Obama was at the same period in 2007:

Bernie's actually doing very well, f.ex way better than almost all of the GOP candidates

it's just that Hillary's doing unbelievably, stratospherically, outrageously well

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

UberJew posted:

Bernie's actually doing very well, f.ex way better than almost all of the GOP candidates

it's just that Hillary's doing unbelievably, stratospherically, outrageously well

it is pretty easy to beat a GOP candidate since there are so many of them to split how well they are doing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Trump's website has a surprisingly scant level of concrete information. Would anyone know if he'll be doing any speeches or events on the 4th of July in New York? I'd like to maybe go people watching and bask in the atmosphere of screaming out whichever illogical, angry stance one can muster up in the moment. And the $50 would help defray my streetfood expenses on the day.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Trump's website has a surprisingly scant level of concrete information. Would anyone know if he'll be doing any speeches or events on the 4th of July in New York? I'd like to maybe go people watching and bask in the atmosphere of screaming out whichever illogical, angry stance one can muster up in the moment. And the $50 would help defray my streetfood expenses on the day.

He doesnt have a platform. He will just go up to the podium and vomit up whatever the gop base wants to hear. He is egotical petty assclown, The only reasons he is running is so he can remane relevent.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

it is pretty easy to beat a GOP candidate since there are so many of them to split how well they are doing.

Let us also remember that when the time comes the Republican Party really will grimace and eat their vegetables with whatever inedible candidate they actually end up with. It probably isn't enough for them to win but we can only bask in this glorious party infighting until they crown their king.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Feather posted:

Why would Democrats (as in, the establishment party) do that? They need wedge issues as much as Republicans do, because otherwise it's harder to hide the fact that they both get on their knees for the wealthy. Each of these serves as the other's Goldstein for the farcical two minutes hate we call "election day."

For real people in the real world, it really matters that the two supreme court justices appointed by Obama were Sotomayor and Kagan, and not another Aliota and another Roberts.

That you'd use the Supreme Court as an example of their being no difference between the parties is kinda baffling. Calling fundamental rights that are absolutely important to millions of people rearranging the chairs is also odd.

Do you think your hyperfocus on a single issue might be blinding you to what's important to others?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Somebody on my twitter feed keeps pointing out that until Bobby Jindal breaks 1.9%, he has to refer to his poll "number".

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Every recent poll shows that a large, and still growing, majority of Americans are in favor of same-sex marriage. What exactly is the GOP's endgame for bravely standing against this ruling? Do they think that going against the will of the general public will somehow help in the general election, or are they just saying this poo poo now to hopefully get through the primaries and then whoever is chosen as the candidate is gonna drop the issue entirely or what?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cubey posted:

are they just saying this poo poo now to hopefully get through the primaries and then whoever is chosen as the candidate is gonna drop the issue entirely?

Considering only the candidates that have a chance of winning the nomination: yes

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Cubey posted:

Every recent poll shows that a large, and still growing, majority of Americans are in favor of same-sex marriage. What exactly is the GOP's endgame for bravely standing against this ruling? Do they think that going against the will of the general public will somehow help in the general election, or are they just saying this poo poo now to hopefully get through the primaries and then whoever is chosen as the candidate is gonna drop the issue entirely or what?

Their electoral strategy is to feed the white-hot ball of incoherent rage that is their base enough hate to get their butts into the polls in an outsized percentage than their demographics would suggest. It worked amazingly well for them over the last 6 years; the only place they've not made huge gains-is the Presidency. Everywhere else--from state legislatures and governors to the US House and Senate--has been a big pickup bonanza for them.

Now, how sustainable is this? Who can say. But it's worked so far.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

Obdicut posted:

For real people in the real world, it really matters that the two supreme court justices appointed by Obama were Sotomayor and Kagan, and not another Aliota and another Roberts.

That you'd use the Supreme Court as an example of their being no difference between the parties is kinda baffling. Calling fundamental rights that are absolutely important to millions of people rearranging the chairs is also odd.
SCOTUS today is a conservative court. They ruled correctly. It is independent of whether the two parties are otherwise engaged in a perpetual wedge-issue "fight." Edit: and further, I wasn't using the decision as an example of rearranging deck chairs, but as a means to highlight the fact that this wedge issue was resolved by a movement of people circumventing both parties. Your interpretation is either accidentally wildly off target or laughably intellectually dishonest.

quote:

Do you think your hyperfocus on a single issue might be blinding you to what's important to others?

Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Feather fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 27, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Cubey posted:

If there is any serious planning being done I'd imagine it will be quietly dripped once a certain threshold of currently living elderly die off. So if there is a massive medical breakthrough in heart disease prevention and stroke reduction the issue will linger as indefinitely as they do.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

mandatory lesbian posted:

im pretty sure lindsey graham said that "we should respect the judges decision" but i might be hallucinating

Yeah, Graham's reaction had few tears. Which is probably one of the many reasons he'll never get the nomination.

Cubey posted:

Well, you know, when you get the nomination you get to kind of erase what came before. Like an Etch-A-Sketch.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Feather posted:

SCOTUS today is a conservative court.

Whatever you mean by this, it appears to have no point in assertion.

quote:

They ruled correctly. It is independent of whether the two parties are otherwise engaged in a perpetual wedge-issue "fight." Edit: and further, I wasn't using the decision as an example of rearranging deck chairs, but as a means to highlight the fact that this wedge issue was resolved by a movement of people circumventing both parties. Your interpretation is either accidentally wildly off target or laughably intellectually dishonest.

But the people aren't circumventing both parties. If another Roberts and another Alioto were on there, the decision would have gone against gay marriage. The reason that they are not on there, and Kagan and Sotomayor are instead, is because Obama, a Democrat, was elected and not McCain, a Republican. Therefore, electing Obama vs. McCain was not rearranging deck chairs.

Is there anything about this that's not clear?

Feather posted:

Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

I've never beaten my wife.

You, however, appear to only post from a single-issue perspective, that of class divide and wealth inequality. Again, I am completely and absolutely in agreement that wealth inequality and the problems of capitalism are hugely deleterious to our society and our democracy. However, I think that other issues are very important too.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 27, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.theonion.com/graphic/candidate-profile-bobby-jindal-50756

quote:

Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal declared Wednesday his candidacy for the 2016 presidential nomination, although the Rhodes Scholar and one-time Republican rising star faces difficult odds in a jam-packed primary field. Here’s what you need to know about Jindal:

Read at the link, formatting is better there.

quote:

Will Most Likely Be Remembered For: Endorsing Jeb Bush after Iowa caucus

But that one deserves special attention. :mmmhmm:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary is speaking at the Democratic Party's Jefferson-Jackson dinner in Virginia tonight and is referring to "a Republican candidate" when quoting Donald Trump.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Hillary is speaking at the Democratic Party's Jefferson-Jackson dinner in Virginia tonight and is referring to "a Republican candidate" when quoting Donald Trump.

Jefferson-Jackson? As in Thomas "I raped my slaves and only freed my slave children after my death" Jefferson and Andrew "Trail of Tears" Jackson? :psyduck:

I feel like John Oliver needs to have a "Why is this still a thing?" segment about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Jefferson-Jackson? As in Thomas "I raped my slaves and only freed my slave children after my death" Jefferson and Andrew "Trail of Tears" Jackson? :psyduck:

I feel like John Oliver needs to have a "Why is this still a thing?" segment about this.

Yeah, the founders of the Democratic party would probably not vote for its current candidates.

• Locked thread