Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The Markus' main strong points are that it's relatively cheap and has a ten year warranty. It's not the most ergonomic of chairs out there, but it's good enough and available worldwide. It does suffer from a lack of customization options, so you should definitely go to Ikea and sit in it before making your decision.

The DX Racer seems like it might be OK at that price, since they offer a lifetime warranty on the frame (but not the rest of the chair, check to see if the padding will hold up over time). The Maxonomic is more expensive and only has a flat 2 year warranty, so I'd pass on that. I don't know how good the ergonomics on either chair is, but at least I don't recall them ever being described as outright bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Out of the following options:

Ikea Markus - € 150
DX Racer F - € 200
Maxnomic Dominator - € 300

Most people here would recommend going with the Markus, I take it? I've skimmed the thread but admittedly have not read it page for page.

The Markus has the better warranty and will probably be just as comfortable as those other two, you really need to bump up to fully ergonomic chairs to see a big increase in quality but that also means spending a lot more.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks, I'll go to my local Ikea tomorrow to check out the Markus in person. Is the cover just personal preference? I noticed that the black, fake leathery stuff is 20 bucks more in the US http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90289172/#/00103102, is it actually more durable?

isndl
May 2, 2012
The material is mostly personal preference. Some people like the look of black leather and it ages differently than fabric, but it's also a little more sensitive to poor treatment/maintenance.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Out of the following options:

Ikea Markus - € 150
DX Racer F - € 200
Maxnomic Dominator - € 300

Most people here would recommend going with the Markus, I take it? I've skimmed the thread but admittedly have not read it page for page.

I haven't had any experience with the Markus, but I have a Dominator and my wife has a DXRacer F, and they're both pretty fantastic. The Dominator is a lot firmer than the F, but also rocks back a whole lot easier, if that's your thing. The end result is that I find the F to be more comfortable for short periods of time, and the Dominator more comfortable for long periods. Also know that the F is a fairly small chair; it fits my 5'0" wife very well, but my 5'9" is probably getting to about as tall as is comfortable. Also a bit narrow; if you're a 250lbs behemoth, get something bigger. Height-adjustable armrests might seem a bit gimmicky on paper, but I really like them. Same with the little lumbar/neck pillows--easy to laugh off on paper, and I expected to basically ignore them, but the lumbar one in particular is loving nice to have. I'm sure you could get something similar and attach it to a Markus though, if you wanted.

The Markus' mesh back would probably be nice if you live somewhere hot--you don't get a lot of airflow through the backs of the others, obviously.

The warranty bit is virtually worthless--all of the warranties only cover the frame and "moving parts" (the gas tube, etc), which quite frankly are not going to be what fail from normal use and cause you to replace a chair. I don't know if Ikea uses better materials, but the $200-$250 chairs I've gotten from Office Max/Depot/Staples/whatever in the past have never had the padding last more than a few years, after which I could start to feel the bolts and whatnot when I sat in certain ways. Both the Dominator and the F use much nicer materials and last considerably longer on that front.

The fake leather surfaces are certainly easier to clean, and they won't absorb smells and whatnot as easily as fabric will. The downside is if you don't use the correct treatments on them every now and then, they'll eventually crack or flake off, which not only looks ugly, but can be uncomfortable (since the first bits to crack are usually the bits you sit on the most).

DrDork fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 26, 2015

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I ended going with the Markus after finding it to be pretty comfortable when trying it in my local Ikea.

isndl
May 2, 2012

DrDork posted:

The warranty bit is virtually worthless--all of the warranties only cover the frame and "moving parts" (the gas tube, etc), which quite frankly are not going to be what fail from normal use and cause you to replace a chair. I don't know if Ikea uses better materials, but the $200-$250 chairs I've gotten from Office Max/Depot/Staples/whatever in the past have never had the padding last more than a few years, after which I could start to feel the bolts and whatnot when I sat in certain ways. Both the Dominator and the F use much nicer materials and last considerably longer on that front.

The frame and moving parts are the most important parts to warranty, really. It sucks if the padding starts to go, but at worst you can buy a small cushion to sit on. If say the tilt breaks or something, you're pretty much screwed and have to buy a new chair. A long warranty isn't just insurance in the event of that happening, it's also the manufacturer standing by the quality of their product because they're losing money every time they have to replace a chair.

The Markus does seem to use adequate materials for the fabric/cushioning, as there haven't been any complaints about those that I've seen and it's been recommended as the budget option in this thread for a while now.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

isndl posted:

The frame and moving parts are the most important parts to warranty, really. It sucks if the padding starts to go, but at worst you can buy a small cushion to sit on. If say the tilt breaks or something, you're pretty much screwed and have to buy a new chair. A long warranty isn't just insurance in the event of that happening, it's also the manufacturer standing by the quality of their product because they're losing money every time they have to replace a chair.
While I agree with you in theory, I've just never seen any halfway decent chair actually fail on one of those parts without having been subject to some sort of excessive abuse. Unlike the soft parts and fabric, which 9 times out of 10 (outside physically breaking the chair from abuse) is why people replace chairs. It's also really easy to offer a long warranty on a part that very rarely breaks, and when it does you require the original receipt in order to service it. Not precisely a big risk factor there.

I don't know, maybe my sample size is simply small and there are groups of people out there regularly having the gas tube on $200+ chairs blow out on them under normal use. If so, I guess I've just not met them yet.

isndl
May 2, 2012

DrDork posted:

While I agree with you in theory, I've just never seen any halfway decent chair actually fail on one of those parts without having been subject to some sort of excessive abuse. Unlike the soft parts and fabric, which 9 times out of 10 (outside physically breaking the chair from abuse) is why people replace chairs. It's also really easy to offer a long warranty on a part that very rarely breaks, and when it does you require the original receipt in order to service it. Not precisely a big risk factor there.

I don't know, maybe my sample size is simply small and there are groups of people out there regularly having the gas tube on $200+ chairs blow out on them under normal use. If so, I guess I've just not met them yet.

There's been cases popping up in this thread every now and then, last one I think being a Steelcase where the gas tube was sinking too low to the ground? It's rare but it happens, and that $200 chair with the longer warranty will have saved a significant chunk of cash over that shorter warranty $400 chair you now have to replace. The big name brands (Steelcase, Herman Miller, etc.) often won't even ask for the proof of purchase.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I just replaced the gas tube for my DXRacer. It worked, but I think had a small leak or something because given enough time even a small child would sink it to the bottom (I put some dumbbells on there when I went to sleep).
It was just annoying if you were sitting there as it slowly fell down.

Had a replacement at my door 3 business days later.

(it also started happening like a day after I posted it was a functioning chair :tinfoil: )

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Gas tube on my 10 year old Steelcase Criterion is failing and I'm just replacing the chair with a Embody rather than worrying about it. It's got other goofy issues like the arm rests don't work properly anymore.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
With my current experience of the 'fake leather' style upholstery I'd say never buy it, after 9 months it had cracked in stress areas and revealed the fabric beneath. I'm at 15 months in this chair and it looks like hell despite functioning perfectly.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Budgie posted:

With my current experience of the 'fake leather' style upholstery I'd say never buy it, after 9 months it had cracked in stress areas and revealed the fabric beneath. I'm at 15 months in this chair and it looks like hell despite functioning perfectly.
It really depends on the quality of 'fake leather' used. I've had a few chairs from big-box office stores that have gone more or less like that (I found that some black duct-tape over the stress areas basically fixed it, but it looked ghetto as hell), but some of the higher-end ones have lasted for years with minimal issue--some of them use what's basically the same grade material that's used in the 'fake leather' for cars, and that stuff can literally last decades if not abused. Certainly look at user reviews and such, but it's not always a bad option.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I love my Aeron but was wondering if there's any other competitive options out there that I should be considering. My lumbar pad is broken/torn and there doesn't seem to be an upgraded version that doesn't break after a year.

What are my options for chairs of equal or better quality to an Aeron? Or do I shell out ~$80 for another back pad?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I love my Aeron but was wondering if there's any other competitive options out there that I should be considering. My lumbar pad is broken/torn and there doesn't seem to be an upgraded version that doesn't break after a year.

What are my options for chairs of equal or better quality to an Aeron? Or do I shell out ~$80 for another back pad?

There is an aftermarket pad you can buy that aims to fix the problems the OEM versions had.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161561054133

Alternatively, you could step up to the Posture Fit support for $100.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Zorilla posted:

There is an aftermarket pad you can buy that aims to fix the problems the OEM versions had.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161561054133

Alternatively, you could step up to the Posture Fit support for $100.

Oh man, this rules. Definitely the right way to go. Thanks so much!

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I just picked up a Steelcase leap for 250 from a used office supply store in Richmond. If anyone is in the area, or is like 100 miles away and wants to save around $700 here is the website.

http://richmondofficeinteriors.com/

Apparently a verizon sales center closed down in northern Virginia and they had like 50 unused leaps they sold off for next to nothing. At least I know where my loving $70 activation fee with fios is going.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So far its been a couple months and I still love my Officemaster OM5. However I do find the armrests relatively uncomfortable on my elbows. Anyone else notice this?

Also I find that hte pressure required to get it to "lean back" is probably designed for someone considerably heavier than me. Is there anyway to reduce the force required to get it to lean?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

So far its been a couple months and I still love my Officemaster OM5. However I do find the armrests relatively uncomfortable on my elbows. Anyone else notice this?

Also I find that hte pressure required to get it to "lean back" is probably designed for someone considerably heavier than me. Is there anyway to reduce the force required to get it to lean?

On the leap there's a setting for it, and given the price point I find it weird that there's nothing like that on the OM5 too. I'm trying to find a fix for uncomfortable armrests as well though.

I'm trying to find the type of foam used in exercise mats you get at target. It's a really dense but soft foam, sort of like an extra thick yoga mat. I'm going to wrap that in some type of fabric with ties similar to the way a boxing glove is laced up to fit around the rests I have. It's a bitch to find though.

Is there a way to purchase the headrest for the leap separately? My lower back feels a lot more supported, but my neck and upper back hurt now because I'm tall and my shoulders don't have much in the way of support.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 17, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

On Terra Firma posted:

On the leap there's a setting for it, and given the price point I find it weird that there's nothing like that on the OM5 too. I'm trying to find a fix for uncomfortable armrests as well though.

I'm trying to find the type of foam used in exercise mats you get at target. It's a really dense but soft foam, sort of like an extra thick yoga mat. I'm going to wrap that in some type of fabric with ties similar to the way a boxing glove is laced up to fit around the rests I have. It's a bitch to find though.

Is there a way to purchase the headrest for the leap separately? My lower back feels a lot more supported, but my neck and upper back hurt now because I'm tall and my shoulders don't have much in the way of support.

I have a Leap v2 and I found that back and shoulder pain can be caused by the arm rests being too high, when I adjusted them down so that they just barely touch my elbows that the pain went away over a few days and it hasn't come back since. I think it might have to do with the arm rests lifting the shoulders and putting strain on the wrong muscles or something. Anyway, you might want to try adjusting them down if they are not fairly low already before looking for a headrest.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Is there anyway to reduce the force required to get it to lean?
Nope. They went with "simplicity" for that model line, so you lose out on a lot of the adjustments that others at that price point include.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Does any know if it is possible to get a discount on Herman Miller or other big name brands? I really want to order an Embody and could use any bit of savings off of the $1500 price tag. I know I just missed out on HM's biannual sale which blows.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I have a Leap v2 and I found that back and shoulder pain can be caused by the arm rests being too high, when I adjusted them down so that they just barely touch my elbows that the pain went away over a few days and it hasn't come back since. I think it might have to do with the arm rests lifting the shoulders and putting strain on the wrong muscles or something. Anyway, you might want to try adjusting them down if they are not fairly low already before looking for a headrest.

The problem with that is that when they are lower all the pressure is being put right on the ball of my elbow, which starts hurting pretty fast.

I'm glad I didn't drop 950 on this because I'm really not that impressed. I needed a new chair because my old one was beat up, but this isn't worth full retail.

edit: This is day 3 and I might just go back to my old chair. Figuring this out isn't worth the pain and I would really advise anyone over 6ft to reconsider going for the leap.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 18, 2015

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Etrips posted:

Does any know if it is possible to get a discount on Herman Miller or other big name brands? I really want to order an Embody and could use any bit of savings off of the $1500 price tag. I know I just missed out on HM's biannual sale which blows.

I just got an Aeron from the sale and am loving it. Spent ages looking on craigslist/the web at large without success. You may want to just wait for the next sale while setting yourself some update reminders for craigslist + ebay local action.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

DrDork posted:

Nope. They went with "simplicity" for that model line, so you lose out on a lot of the adjustments that others at that price point include.

Well that is seriously disappointing. Stupid American manufacturing being designed for fat pieces of poo poo.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nephzinho posted:

I just got an Aeron from the sale and am loving it. Spent ages looking on craigslist/the web at large without success. You may want to just wait for the next sale while setting yourself some update reminders for craigslist + ebay local action.

5 months is a long time to wait.... What was the sale 15% I believe? Might just eat the $225 at that rate. Pretty much ready to throw my chair out the window at this point.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Try a local dealer it was cheaper for me through one than any price I saw online.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Duck and Cover posted:

Try a local dealer it was cheaper for me through one than any price I saw online.

Unfortunately, since I live in the freaking sticks I have to drive at least 2 hours to get to a place that sells them.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Etrips posted:

Unfortunately, since I live in the freaking sticks I have to drive at least 2 hours to get to a place that sells them.

Even with shipping it may still be cheaper. It was for me.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Knifegrab posted:

Well that is seriously disappointing. Stupid American manufacturing being designed for fat pieces of poo poo.

It's really not though. I'm a 290lb muscleperson and even the slightest lean sends the chair sitting all the way back. I'm guessing that you're significantly beneath the average weight-wise and the OM5 seems to be tuned for someone in that 170-190lb average range.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It's really not though. I'm a 290lb muscleperson and even the slightest lean sends the chair sitting all the way back. I'm guessing that you're significantly beneath the average weight-wise and the OM5 seems to be tuned for someone in that 170-190lb average range.

Stupid American manufacturing being designed for not obese and not skinny fucks!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Finally buckled down and ordered a Embody. Can't freaking wait.

Don't buy a chair from Office Depot / Office Max / etc. This chair's gas cylinder busted after a year, and this is what is looks like after about 2-2.5 years.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So I've finally seen the light and started looking for a proper computer chair for home, ideally in a mesh seat since I've tended to find them a lot more comfortable than foam seats at work (less pressure points, I think - I'm a skinny guy without much natural padding).

I live in a government town so there are office furniture vendors everywhere and a local Hermann Miller distributor, so I might end up going Aeron/Mirra eventually, but checking a local liquidator for bargains I spotted a refurb Teknion Contessa (apparently the same chair as the Okamura Contessa but a different brand name for NA) for $400. The reviews I've seen for the Contessa are pretty promising but I was wondering if anyone ITT knew much about them?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I read this thread the other day and I want to thank you regular posters for the help.

Once I get situated in my new city (Valencia in Spain) - I'm going to look for a HM showroom and try out an Embody. Hopefully try out a Gesture as well, and then buy something.

The best desk I ever had was some ridiculous tanky steel thing by Steelcase that I bought second hand. I loved that thing, definitely want to give their chairs a fair shake as well.

Thanks thread!

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

What kind of chair are these?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Pertplus posted:

lovely ones for sitting at a computer or for longer than 30-60 minutes.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Pertplus posted:

chairs that break tables.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

lovely ones for sitting at a computer or for longer than 30-60 minutes.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Pertplus posted:

Herman Miller Eames (or knockoffs thereof)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Does anyone have experience with Seven Seas Seating? They seem to be pretty fancy chairs, and I found one on CL for $75.