Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

quote:

Most of the bird's vocal learning brain regions are tucked into areas that also control movement. These areas in parrots also show some special patterns of gene expression, which the scientists speculate might explain why some parrots are also able to learn to dance to music.

This is so cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Bicyclops posted:

This is so cool!

This is something I liked about that too! The actual biology behind how music is understood is really interesting. Dogs and cats seem to have no idea what's going on when music is played, for the main part, and it's only really parrots that I've seen who actually react to it with dancing like a human would. The way music is linked to language and movement is really cool, like babies learning language a lot faster if it's sung to them. I also work with adults with disabilities, including people who are completely non-verbal, and yet can "sing" along with the choir with perfect pitch. It's something that's incredibly, intensely human, one of the few things that sets us apart from most other animals (except birds, who are just too awesome).

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I recall seeing a documentary or something some time ago where a quote stuck out in my head. The more we find out about the animal kingdom, the more we find examples of behaviour we thought set us apart from animals.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sekkira posted:

I recall seeing a documentary or something some time ago where a quote stuck out in my head. The more we find out about the animal kingdom, the more we find examples of behaviour we thought set us apart from animals.

Yeah, personally I love finding out all the ways that other animals can be amazingly smart. Corvids are always my favourite though :swoon:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Is there anyone in here with a cockatiel who has actually managed to teach it any tricks? Step up/leave it/no bite/come here/etc don't count. Which coincidently is what Mr Pending knows.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My birds are not getting enough attention. Because they have pointy feet, and I'm sunburned as gently caress.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Is there anyone in here with a cockatiel who has actually managed to teach it any tricks? Step up/leave it/no bite/come here/etc don't count. Which coincidently is what Mr Pending knows.
Is pooping out the bars of his cage and onto the cat walking by a trick?

Because Judah totally did that this morning.

I was honestly kind of impressed.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
The budgies have gotten too big to sit on my hand at eat seed and not annoy each other.

But if I put both hands into the cage, they flip out.

Birds.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Look who just moved in!

She (the breeder thinks it's a lady) is extremely frightened right now, however, not being used to being alone in a small-ish cage. I don't think it's safe to let her out just yet, especially since I have several windows without any curtains.

She also can't quite move around the cage, and is shuffling around the floor :( I think the found an okay spot to sit right now... on top of the little bowl of veggies I had placed in there.

I'm not entirely sure what to do. Sit/stand nearby and try to interact? Stay away for a while and let her calm down? Perhaps even cover the cage for a while?

E: 25 minutes later

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 26, 2015

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Sit at some distance from the cage and talk to her in a calm, quiet voice, maybe? Let her know you're a Safe Person who doesn't make loud noises or sudden movements, basically.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I highly suggest singing to your bird. Any tune you can think of, but I personally do my best opera voice because my bird won't judge me.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I've been trying (unsuccessfully, so far) to teach Auri to whistle the victory tune from the Final Fantasy games.

But yes: sing to your birds. They won't think you're an idiot, they'll just be happy. :)

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Sekkira posted:

If I remember correctly, you live in Queensland, correct?

https://www.rta.qld.gov.au/resources/forms/forms-for-general-tenancies/general-tenancy-agreement-form-18a

Under page 5:

It's basically the same, but Queensland has chosen to specify further on what a fitting is defined as. The way you described the snake proofing doesn't fall under that definition of a fixture.

If the property manager is making a stink about it, despite this, then I suggest talking to somebody who can offer professional legal advice just in case.

Yeah this is what I found. She's telling the owner it's a permanent cage and that I let the birds poo poo everywhere. She's powertripping because it took us months to get a key for a door, she basically called us stupid and that we had a key and to stop emailing, then got proven wrong and looked like a complete idiot.

It would have taken her 2 seconds to come look at that door. It's the same story with a pedestrian gate at the front, still don't have a key for that either and it's straight up a security risk. It would take me 2 seconds to show her the Ringneck will kill the Quaker if she gets a chance so they are kept in their own cages inside the barrier. She's really really poo poo at her job. There hasn't even been a complaint.

I only asked here because last time when I posted, people here had knowledge. It's non permanent and therefore not a fixture.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

nielsm posted:

Look who just moved in!

She (the breeder thinks it's a lady) is extremely frightened right now, however, not being used to being alone in a small-ish cage. I don't think it's safe to let her out just yet, especially since I have several windows without any curtains.

She also can't quite move around the cage, and is shuffling around the floor :( I think the found an okay spot to sit right now... on top of the little bowl of veggies I had placed in there.

I'm not entirely sure what to do. Sit/stand nearby and try to interact? Stay away for a while and let her calm down? Perhaps even cover the cage for a while?

E: 25 minutes later

Sup fellow new cockatiel owner! Echoing others singing even bad singing well make your bird very happy :) also whenever I'm home I open the cage door and she comes and goes as she pleases. By your later picture she seems to be doing bird things so thats good.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The cage o' budgies I had at one point would start peeping and cheeping like mad whenever I sang in the kitchen. I mean budgies never really stop chattering anyway but man those little guys all lined up at the front of their cage and talked to me when I would sing while doing chores.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Agent355 posted:

The cage o' budgies I had at one point would start peeping and cheeping like mad whenever I sang in the kitchen. I mean budgies never really stop chattering anyway but man those little guys all lined up at the front of their cage and talked to me when I would sing while doing chores.

Yeah, Loki whistles a lot whenever he hears me whistling or when there's music on. He really loves the theme from Friends, because my wife puts the show on in the background a lot when she needs something she doesn't have to pay attention to.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TJaNDBI87s

Not a parrot but I thought this thread would appreciate this, taken from PYF. It makes me laugh so hard I think I'm about to pee myself.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, Loki whistles a lot whenever he hears me whistling or when there's music on. He really loves the theme from Friends, because my wife puts the show on in the background a lot when she needs something she doesn't have to pay attention to.

Years and years ago my grandmother came to visit and during the day she would watch the Andy Griffith Show. It took like two days fro my grey to learn it. It's one of those things he SCREAMS at the top of his lungs. He fuckin loves it. All these years later, if I fire it up on Youtube he drops what he's doing and immediately joins in. I

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Years and years ago my grandmother came to visit and during the day she would watch the Andy Griffith Show. It took like two days fro my grey to learn it. It's one of those things he SCREAMS at the top of his lungs. He fuckin loves it. All these years later, if I fire it up on Youtube he drops what he's doing and immediately joins in. I

Auri's favorite bars to whistle are just the first few notes of the same. Luckily she's not obnoxious about it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Judah has never gotten really into music in terms of imitating. He's much more into imitating sound effects like water burbling or people laughing. Weird little potato.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Ahahaha, that makes total sense. It's such a simple and catchy tune, after all. Loki never really gets the actual tune of "I'll Be There for You," (I have to imagine that's definitely more of a Grey thing), but he did get pretty close with "Everybody Knows Your Name."

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Tendai posted:

Not a parrot but I thought this thread would appreciate this, taken from PYF. It makes me laugh so hard I think I'm about to pee myself.

:birddrugs::Look at me! I'm a loving bird! Doop de doop de doo!

:birddrugs::Carl Linnaeus more like Carl WAAK WAAK WAAK WAAK WAAK-us am I right?

:birddrugs:: Haha, I'm so funny. I'm here all night, guys, tip your waitress.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

:birddrugs::Look at me! I'm a loving bird! Doop de doop de doo!

:birddrugs::Carl Linnaeus more like Carl WAAK WAAK WAAK WAAK WAAK-us am I right?

:birddrugs:: Haha, I'm so funny. I'm here all night, guys, tip your waitress.
I kind of feel like that's what male cockatiels think they look like when they're trying to be all slick and romantic

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tendai posted:

Judah has never gotten really into music in terms of imitating. He's much more into imitating sound effects like water burbling or people laughing. Weird little potato.

It's interesting to note the associations your bird makes with different noises. For example, when I clean his cage for instance, he makes the squeaking noise like when you're cleaning glass with Windex and a rag. I'm not using that to clean but he at some point saw that action and heard the noise and associates it with cleaning. He knowwwwws.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Ooh my god I have tears in my eyes.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
This is likely a stupid question, but uh. We recently moved and we haven't moved the birds yet (the in-laws are keeping an eye on them). The new place whiffs a bit of paint. Will that impact the budgies any? Should we wait a week or so 'til it's aired out?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

painted bird posted:

This is likely a stupid question, but uh. We recently moved and we haven't moved the birds yet (the in-laws are keeping an eye on them). The new place whiffs a bit of paint. Will that impact the budgies any? Should we wait a week or so 'til it's aired out?

Yes.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
drat it, that might be a problem. We might be getting a conure next and while the budgies can stay with the in-laws until this place smells acceptable, the conure probably can't.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Is there a way to put them by an open window (w/ a screen obviously)?

You could also borrow a bunch of fans and have them blow out windows sucking all the fumes out.

Most likely they'll be ok, but it's one of those things you don't want to roll the dice on.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Their cage is slated to be right by a window and I can borrow netting from the in-laws and tack it up temporarily (and we can point a fan at the window, too) buuut I don't want to risk it if I can finagle a way not to. 'll probably insist they don't get moved until the place stops smelling so weird.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Get as many fans as you can and point them towards windows.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Get as many fans as you can and point them towards windows.

Probably best to have one blowing fresh air in as well.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Frogmanv2 posted:

Probably best to have one blowing fresh air in as well.

with care to make sure its not gunna pull in paint air

maybe have one side of the house with fans puling in, the other side pushing out.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tendai posted:

This is killing me.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This is killing me.
I keep waiting for it to be less funny but every time I see it I start laughing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pion, which shall be the name of my bird*, still seems very confused, but perhaps a bit less frightened. Sorry about the cage, I wouldn't be able to fit anything larger.
She's discovered the seeds that spilled onto the floor earlier, when a poorly placed dispenser fell. She still hasn't really tried using either water bowl, except for accidentally stepping into them.
She was sitting the same place on the same perch all night, and has barely explored the others at all. Now she's mostly sitting on the floor again, and even though she does scramble up onto a perch once in a while, soon ditches it again.
I'm a bit worried.

I tried playing some flute to her, she is responding, and seems to be okay with it.

*) Name may or may not be an anime reference.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 27, 2015

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Derps are naturally ground foragers, so that's instinct. You only should worry if she's listless at the bottom of the cage. Sounds like she's exploring just fine, comfort doesn't come overnight ya know!

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

The birbs are getting pretty sick of living in their travel cages. 2 more weeks til we get to move into our apartment and they can have their normal house back. Ozzy enjoyed some before-bed snuggles and here's some blurry pictures of him being adorable.

Also pictured: Nugget hanging out with her new BFF, her reflection :derptiel:

:swoon: Can't handle this level of cute

Pip pip pip fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 27, 2015

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

nielsm posted:

Pion, which shall be the name of my bird*, still seems very confused, but perhaps a bit less frightened. Sorry about the cage, I wouldn't be able to fit anything larger.
She's discovered the seeds that spilled onto the floor earlier, when a poorly placed dispenser fell. She still hasn't really tried using either water bowl, except for accidentally stepping into them.
She was sitting the same place on the same perch all night, and has barely explored the others at all. Now she's mostly sitting on the floor again, and even though she does scramble up onto a perch once in a while, soon ditches it again.
I'm a bit worried.

I tried playing some flute to her, she is responding, and seems to be okay with it.

*) Name may or may not be an anime reference.

you should get 2 bird so your 1 bird has a bird friend and your 2 bird also has a bird friend

its a young bird isnt it? i look at the eyes it looks young so should have a bird friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Tendai posted:

When he came to allocate a scientific name to this bird, he called it

WOO HOO

WOO HOO