Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Kind of concerned that their publisher for this one is Focus, did they list their relationship with Square Enix?

Im more concerned that they are trying to make a game with actual mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

monster on a stick posted:

Kind of concerned that their publisher for this one is Focus, did they list their relationship with Square Enix?
I assume its more of Square not being interested in a vampire RPG instead of any sort of rocky relationship.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

S-E has a lot on its plate right now and Focus probably just stumped up the cash first.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just really hope they take a long hard look at Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines and learn what really worked about that game and what didn't.

Because poo poo would I love a spiritual successor to Bloodlines without its mistakes.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Accordion Man posted:

I just really hope they take a long hard look at Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines and learn what really worked about that game and what didn't.

Because poo poo would I love a spiritual successor to Bloodlines without its mistakes.

I found The Secret World to be... pretty much a spiritual sequel to Bloodlines, despite it being made by completely different people. Don't think of it as an MMO. Buy it and go through the campaign, doing each dungeon at least once on the way. (Their dungeons are probably some of the most immersive pieces of instanced content I've ever played.) Then stop playing once you finish the storyline.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sophism posted:

I found The Secret World to be... pretty much a spiritual sequel to Bloodlines, despite it being made by completely different people. Don't think of it as an MMO. Buy it and go through the campaign, doing each dungeon at least once on the way. (Their dungeons are probably some of the most immersive pieces of instanced content I've ever played.) Then stop playing once you finish the storyline.
I would have bought that game Day 1 if it was a single-player RPG because when I first heard about it and that Ragnar Tornquist was head writer I was reaching for my wallet until the word MMO reared its ugly head.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I see that using historic or popular England imagery is in vogue among the gaming industry now. Dishonored, the new Assassin's Creed, and this...

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

VagueRant posted:

I bought and played through the game this weekend and man, it's stuck with me in a weird way. It's by no means an amazing game, and it has obvious rough spots but I'm thinking about it an awful lot. Can't wait for the next ep. And I sure hope the ending doesn't suck...

I feel the same way. I'm not sure why, but it definitely drew me in. I'm really curious to see where they go with this.

Hopefully this game doing well will get some people to actually play Remember Me, a game which I think is criminally underrated.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I picked up Episode 1 during the Steam Sale to check it out. It felt a little short... but that's fair because it didn't cost much. I like that there's a "buy episodes 2-5" option and not just a "buy each individual episode" or "buy episodes 1-5", so you can try out the first one and see if it's for you.

I definitely think the rewinding mechanic is a nice twist on adventure games, and the decisions mostly felt pretty tough to make. I'll probably buy the rest of the episodes, but I'll hold off first and see if people think the ending sucks, though.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I picked up Episode 1 during the Steam Sale to check it out. It felt a little short... but that's fair because it didn't cost much. I like that there's a "buy episodes 2-5" option and not just a "buy each individual episode" or "buy episodes 1-5", so you can try out the first one and see if it's for you.

I definitely think the rewinding mechanic is a nice twist on adventure games, and the decisions mostly felt pretty tough to make. I'll probably buy the rest of the episodes, but I'll hold off first and see if people think the ending sucks, though.

FWIW, even if the ending does suck -- not unlikely given all the crazy poo poo they've set up so far with only two episodes to wrap it -- I say it's worth buying if you like episode 1 because some of the corners they paint you into during 2 & 3 are intense and worth the price of admission alone.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS
Mar 3, 2009

Scientists have ascertained that there may be as many as... 24 stars in the cosmos

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Holy poo poo Max, "You eat like a pig. Try the floor!" :master: That was the best moment. Being a Time rear end in a top hat to people is fantastic.

I had doubts they could keep up the quality for this long, but it's still great. It's kinda my perfect adventure game right now, it's between this and Dreamfall Chapters anyway. They've managed to pull off some level of choice yet still give you an environment to wander around, explore, and have optional conversations. I spent about 5 hours with this episode, the season pass has been worth every penny already.

Haha I rewound again and again doing this. So loving hilarious to see little timid Max do that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DivisionPost posted:

FWIW, even if the ending does suck -- not unlikely given all the crazy poo poo they've set up so far with only two episodes to wrap it -- I say it's worth buying if you like episode 1 because some of the corners they paint you into during 2 & 3 are intense and worth the price of admission alone.

The last third of Episode 2 has probably been one of my favorite recent moments in narrative gaming. It kind of woke me up a little bit and said "so yeah, you actually DO need to pay attention to your previous choices."

I really don't know how they're gonna wrap this up in just two more episodes though, especially with the crazy cliffhanger in Episode 3.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

INDIGO_CYCLOPS posted:

Haha I rewound again and again doing this. So loving hilarious to see little timid Max do that.

I actually felt horrible doing that because he was really upset about something that cost a pittance. The guy must be hard up on money =(

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
That line was amazing. The beer one was better. "I'm sorry, I just have to try this lol."
Max realizing nothing she does is for real any more.

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Those aren't even emojis, Chloe.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New episode drops any day now... :pray:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm still alarmed by the time a bullet ricocheted and caught Chloe in the gut and she told me to rewind out of there, but presumably that is a timeline that exists in some paralell universe and what if Max's powers had stopped working right then and ugh, Chloe is the worst.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Larry Parrish posted:

Seems to be about two months between each so I wouldn't expect it til like the middle of July at the earliest.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Episode 5 is gonna come out on Halloween and meta-own everybody.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

Seems to be about two months between each so I wouldn't expect it til like the middle of July at the earliest.

Excuse me. No negativity in this thread. Thanks and god bless.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Larry Parrish posted:

Estimated time is July 7-14th. So about two weeks!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fans posted:

Estimated time is July 7-14th. So about two weeks!

That's any day now my man.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Larry Parrish posted:

That's any day now my man.

Well when you factor in the time travel who knows how long it is.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Everyone was praising this game during the steam sale and they were right: the character models are ugly, the animations are awkward, the gameplay is clumsy and the dialogue flows with the grace of a Mass Effect, but it is captivating and the time gimmick is an interesting addition to the genre, if a little overused at times. Even then, the chair bit in episode 3 was nicely done, so I can't complain. Anyway, I finished it last night and it seems 100% of my steam friends (most of them goons) are insane and decided to give Chloe the gun. What's wrong with you people?

Chloe, relaxed and hanging out in the safest place she knows, managed to shoot herself in the gut; put her in a tense, life-or-death situation and everyone will die. Even stray bullets will not hit walls or whatever but go through time portals and kill humanity's best and brightest, setting our civilization back hundreds of years.
Sure, I didn't want Frank to keep the gun either, but we did find out he loves dogs and he got all bumbly when you talked about Rachel, so maybe he could be reasoned with; something like "Chloe is Rachel's best friend, she wouldn't want her to get hurt", I dunno. There's a chance, at least. Arming Chloe, however, is guaranteed to end up in blood and tears.

On a more general note, I can't decide if Max's lines are awful or adorable. The photography chat in ep1 was definitely bad, though. Nobody says those things :argh: and stop taking every goddamn picture standing up or slightly hunched over; you're too young to have arthritis, put some effort in your framing :argh:

Back to ep3, I couldn't help but laugh at Chloe's goofy-rear end grin in the wheelchair, but watching it a second time (had to repeat the focus segment to grab the pic and vandalize the fireplace) was not funny at all. Even with the low-rent models, Max's reaction when Chloe shows up is very touching. It's too bad you couldn't avoid saving William because, come on, when does that ever work? But I figure the devs know what they're doing. Hopefully.

In conclusion: game's good, but if the bird I saved ends up killing someone - like I'm sure it will, somehow - then game's bad. For cereal.

fake edit: Warren. I'm tempted to play the whole thing again while we wait for the new episode just so I can refuse his invitation. He started out fine but he's everywhere, all the time and that's not even counting the creepy stalker moment which I completely missed. drat, dude, give it a rest and just ask her out. Or don't and go talk to Drone Chick instead 'cause this Max is 100% on the Chloe train. At least there could be something worth exploring in their relationship. And yeah, Chloe's a needy and petulant jerk and her schtick gets old, but I'm not quick to judge (though I guess I just did :v:) someone who lost her beloved father at age 13, had her best friend move while cutting all communications off then had her new best friend and hope for a better life disappear out of the blue. Or she doesn't but ends up tetraplegic. Yikes.

fake edit 2: have to mention Kate's scene. Very cool, very rewarding. Well done.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

seravid posted:

In conclusion: game's good, but if the bird I saved ends up killing someone - like I'm sure it will, somehow - then game's bad. For cereal.

I'm kind of wondering if they'll reveal that you have X amount of rewinds (perhaps due to Max's stamina), so all the superfluous rewinds in the beginning end up limiting your options in the end, but if you saved them for super special occasions you can use more when poo poo hits the fan.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tagra posted:

I'm kind of wondering if they'll reveal that you have X amount of rewinds (perhaps due to Max's stamina), so all the superfluous rewinds in the beginning end up limiting your options in the end, but if you saved them for super special occasions you can use more when poo poo hits the fan.
Well that's gonna be awkward considering how much I use the rewind potion just for shits and giggles.
Brb watching Chloe dive in and out of the pool again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alyssa unwittingly takes a bullet for you, but only if you never helped her move out of the way.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

exquisite tea posted:

Alyssa unwittingly takes a bullet for you, but only if you never helped her move out of the way.

Good.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i cant wait to water my plant in july

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pog boyfriend posted:

Oh god, I'm so sorry little plant. :negative:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh god, I'm so sorry little plant. :negative:

Don't worry you probably destroyed it completely by altering the timeline

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

:'(

RIP Lisa.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I just hope nothing bad happens to Kate's bunny for those who forgot to feed it. :ohdear:

They make a point of focusing on it at the beginning of ep. 3 but I'm sure some of you monsters paid no attention to the poor thing.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Considering all the animals in the bay are dying, big or small I think getting carrots is the least of its problems

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Here's an interview with the devs that they just posted. It contains spoilers for the episodes 1 and 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsiBk62nzyA

Spoilers: They all have delightful but thick French accents

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

D_W posted:

Here's an interview with the devs that they just posted. It contains spoilers for the episodes 1 and 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsiBk62nzyA

Spoilers: They all have delightful but thick French accents

Thanks, this interview is really cool.

TL;DW:

- They're actually working on these episodes one at a time, which means 5 recording sessions for the VA, 5 QA, 5 submissions to the publisher etc ... but they can add or change stuff depending on players feedback which is nice.
- Jonathan Morali (Syd Matters) is a hardcore gamer.
- The Decision/Consequences tree is becoming a beast as the story goes. (see: 29:12)
- Episode 4 is out in 2 days :holy:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hella amazeballs.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope Ep 4 is as good as Ep 3.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
I am so loving psyched for Episode 4. :dance: No idea where it's going to take us, but I get the feeling it will be amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It might take them longer to get episodes out than say Telltale, but this is the right way to do episodic content.

• Locked thread