Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Just think of it as an investment in meld stocks for the future! I was kind of in agreement with you once I heard you mention 6 outsiders, that sounds absolutely terrifying to have to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Megane survived because she is a Luck Star. Don't take that from her.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I was thinking ALLCAPS for Kaislioc given how you've been pronouncing the name, but C-C-Combo would work too.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Paul.Power posted:

I was thinking ALLCAPS for Kaislioc given how you've been pronouncing the name, but C-C-Combo would work too.

Kaislioc never gave me the right pronunciation, so I'm running with that :v:

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
I think you're doing slightly better on the injured front finally. I remember when you had all but like 7 rookies to run with and things got REALLY sketchy. Hooray for more videos, need my fix.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Paul.Power posted:

i will vote for ALLCAPS

also sweet i'm getting a Phoenix Cannon

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Does it count as 'ignoring' the UFO (for panic and resources/research) if you launch the mission and abort on turn 1?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

silentsnack posted:

Does it count as 'ignoring' the UFO (for panic and resources/research) if you launch the mission and abort on turn 1?

I think you have an increase in panic for the ignored UFO with interceptors (this is mitigated by engaging and damaging the UFO), a decrease in panic if you shoot down the UFO, and a decrease in panic if you capture the landed UFO. You can only prevent a successful resource operation by shooting down the UFO - whether or not you assault it - or by capturing the landed UFO (keep in mind - I was only assuming it was a resource operation, but there's some unlikely chance it was on a research mission. We won't know for sure until we get the hyperwave relay). So it works pretty logically.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Yay I am back from the Hospital

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

ChaosDragon posted:

Yay I am back in the Hospital

I adjusted that for you, for the next mission.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'm alive! I'm still alive! This is twice now a razor-thin brush with the 17th tile has resulted in me almost getting murdered, but I refuse to die.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
So, I hear the boys and girls of XCOM got to fight through their very own zombie apocalypse! I really should have asked the LT to bring my drone camera with the group to get some shots of the action.

Also, perhaps Megane would go for Storm One as a paean to other famous survivors of alien bug invasions.

e: Wow, just saw the Strategic mission. I really need to stop target fixating on those beams of plasma and flying into them.

Also the Vice-Commander had a pretty good guess as to my choice of callsign, though to me it means something a little different. For now it might as well stand for "Volatile Repairs".

That said, welcome to Placeholder Pigeon, just be sure to listen to the Commander, remember that we can't bail out of the Ravens, and that at the very least, liquefaction by plasma point defence is a relatively painless way to go.

ModeWondershot fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 27, 2015

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I actually really like the zombie apocalypse terror mission. It's surprisingly fun and different, although sometimes I wish there were a way to tweak the AI to be less obsessively murderous towards civilians. It can be hard to chase down zombies fast enough to save anyone, when they scatter away from you.

Then again, when I played this I made a couple mistakes and had soldiers only survive because the aliens were all "why would I preserve my own life by killing a threat to me? I was sent here to point-blank annihilate this random woman!"

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I think Megane should stick with Lucky Star because there is really no better moniker for someone who repeatedly faces down alien parasitoids whose young burst violently forth from unwitting and unwilling human hosts.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Agreed.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
I'm pretty sure at this point irl Megane would be called That Lucky Bastard

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

ProfessorBooty posted:

Either that or "Expecting".

Expecting is a good suggestion.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

FailAtMagic posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point irl Megane would be called That Lucky Bastard

11 symbols. Also given how often she was considered 'the anime,' I'm totes in favour of keeping the Lucky Star moniker :v:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

After surviving like that, I think Lucky Star fits perfectly for Megane

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

On second thought, I agree with keeping Lucky Star.

I mean, it's probably the only reason she's still alive. :)

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Veloxyll posted:

This, though being maimed by a Chryssalid isn't most people's definition of lucky. But then, XCOM troopers aren't most people. :xcom:

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Megane is the Luckiest Star.

That mission was intense!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

EggsAisle posted:

This, though being maimed by a Chryssalid isn't most people's definition of lucky. But then, XCOM troopers aren't most people. :xcom:

George Orwell posted:

No one I met at this time–doctors, nurses, practicantes, or fellow patients– failed to assure me that a man who is hit through the neck and survives it is the luckiest creature alive. I could not help thinking that it would be even luckier not to be hit at all.

So when is "Homage to Said" coming out, Megane?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Surely now it should be Lucky Scar?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Noooo! The glorious robot revolution!

I like the discussion of how it was now Tom's time to shine at the end of the mission video. Tom's already shining, the man single handedly mows down enemies by the truckload :colbert:

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
Great job with the LP so far, really enjoying it. Just a note: episode 26 is missing from the YT playlist.

I'd also like to sign up for the meat grinder. No particular wishes regarding gender or class. I just want the most ridiculous looking armor if I get ground duty.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Neophyte posted:

Surely now it should be Lucky Scar?

i like this

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

This is considered one of the tougher covert extraction maps, thankfully the node placement wasn't terrible.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Woops, I forgot something:

Perk Talk

Close Encounters vs Hit 'n Run vs Rapid fire

Close encounters gives a free shot within four tiles of the enemy. Hit 'n Run gives a free shot against a flanked or exposed target. Rapid fire allows you to shoot twice with -15 aim per shot.

The only perk that works with Run 'n Gun is Rapid Fire, and Rapid Fire is good for a crit-stacking Assault meant for doing massive damage. You can't go wrong with either Close Encounters or Hit 'n Run. Hit 'n Run is usually better for an assault-rifle assault, and Close Encounters works well with shotgun assaults. One thing I consider is the +3 will given by Close Encounters and the fact I use shotguns so much, so cover isn't as big of a deal within 4 tiles of the bad guys. I'll be taking Rapid Fire on assaults that have been downed because I won't be making downed soldiers into psionic troopers later.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
ProfessorBooty, I know this is going to sound strange, but are you drinking from a canteen during the missions?
I keep hearing that squeak and the hollow, tinny thump of a canteen when you take a drink and I get these images of you sitting in front of your computer in full battle gear and helmet, playing card tucked into the band, as you take a drink from your battle scarred canteen.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Dooky Dingo posted:

ProfessorBooty, I know this is going to sound strange, but are you drinking from a canteen during the missions?
I keep hearing that squeak and the hollow, tinny thump of a canteen when you take a drink and I get these images of you sitting in front of your computer in full battle gear and helmet, playing card tucked into the band, as you take a drink from your battle scarred canteen.

Ha. I have a water bottle I drink from, but the sound is extremely reminiscent of a canteen.

You're right about the full battle gear though.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It is kinda of awesome how the LW has taken Exalt from laughably easy to genuinely, oh god we need to extract now dangerous. I mean it's mostly because your enemy getting liberal use of rockets with no scatter chance and tons of grenades to huck at your face is kinda annoying and somewhat artificial, but it's not like the aliens don't have similar things they can do. (Mindfray spam etc)

Also living on the edge for Livingiseasy.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

SaffronKit posted:

It is kinda of awesome how the LW has taken Exalt from laughably easy to genuinely, oh god we need to extract now dangerous. I mean it's mostly because your enemy getting liberal use of rockets with no scatter chance and tons of grenades to huck at your face is kinda annoying and somewhat artificial, but it's not like the aliens don't have similar things they can do. (Mindfray spam etc)

Also living on the edge for Livingiseasy.

It actually makes Exalt exciting. I've actually started another run of vanilla EW with Training Roulette. Let's just say I have a ton of Rapid Reaction Folks. I went to an Exalt mission with 2 snipers. The sheer amount of Overwatch made it so Exalt lived past their turn exactly ONCE after the initial group. They're less than even just a joke in EW.

Also holy poo poo supply barges and the corridor of death.

Let's just I opened a door and revealed a group of heavy floaters, group of muton elites, a mechtoid, and a cyberdisk pack all that once (the cyberdisk and the mechtoid pack were literally STACKED ontop of each other). The turn after that, another Mechtoid patrolled into me, followed by another group of muton elites... :shepface:

As a side note, I wish Livingiseasy's future nickname could be Mirrors Edge, but I think that's too long. :(

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 29, 2015

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Yami Fenrir posted:

As a side note, I wish Livingiseasy's future nickname could be Mirrors Edge, but I think that's too long. :(

I'm sorry, but if you don't want his nickname to be Dyingishard I don't know if we can talk to each other anymore. :colbert:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

SaffronKit posted:

I'm sorry, but if you don't want his nickname to be Dyingishard I don't know if we can talk to each other anymore. :colbert:

That... also works. Why did he not get a nickname for this clusterfuck of a mission? What the hell, XCOM.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Yami Fenrir posted:

That... also works. Why did he not get a nickname for this clusterfuck of a mission? What the hell, XCOM.

Unfortunately Livingiseasy is going to have a hard time getting XP, because he's the current full-time covert operative. He won't be getting many kills because run and gun doesn't work without ammo (which is another reason to take steadfast over CCS - keeps him from panicking and wasting ammunition). And like many games, the XP required for each additional level goes up. All he really needs is steadfast and will to survive. One perk a long time from now will also be really helpful, but it might be a while before he gets it.

Unfortunately the modders have very few tools to adjust this game (especially the framework - even Firaxis referred to the mod as 'black magic'), so in order to make Exalt a credible threat you have to give both overwhelming numerical superiority and many crazy good perks (note that the exalt snipers already have sharpshooter) because most human players are too clever for most video game AIs, and the XCOM AI is especially weak. I'm curious how the modders will solve these problems in their own game - not enough to contribute to a kickstarter.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ProfessorBooty posted:

Unfortunately Livingiseasy is going to have a hard time getting XP, because he's the current full-time covert operative. He won't be getting many kills because run and gun doesn't work without ammo (which is another reason to take steadfast over CCS - keeps him from panicking and wasting ammunition). And like many games, the XP required for each additional level goes up. All he really needs is steadfast and will to survive. One perk a long time from now will also be really helpful, but it might be a while before he gets it.

Unfortunately the modders have very few tools to adjust this game (especially the framework - even Firaxis referred to the mod as 'black magic'), so in order to make Exalt a credible threat you have to give both overwhelming numerical superiority and many crazy good perks (note that the exalt snipers already have sharpshooter) because most human players are too clever for most video game AIs, and the XCOM AI is especially weak. I'm curious how the modders will solve these problems in their own game - not enough to contribute to a kickstarter.

It's funny how different that is to vanilla. I'm currently running a Close and Personal Assault with Rapid Fire as my Covert op. Guy can actually outdamage Heavy Plasma rifles... I still don't get why pistols needed to get nerfed into having limited ammo?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 29, 2015

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Yami Fenrir posted:

It's funny how different that is to vanilla. I'm currently running a Close and Personal Assault with Rapid Fire as my Covert op. Guy can actually outdamage Heavy Plasma rifles... I still don't get why pistols needed to get nerfed into having limited ammo?

Tough to say. The cynic in me says that they found out how to give limited ammo to pistols. In reality I think it has something to do with the fact that you can pack some seriously dangerous side arms such as the sawed off shotgun. With unlimited ammo I could give a trooper the sawed off shotgun, some weak, high mobility primary weapon, and just run around blasting everything in the face every turn with drat high mobility.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

ProfessorBooty posted:

Youtube Link

This is considered one of the tougher covert extraction maps, thankfully the node placement wasn't terrible.

I don't know how long your list of volunteers for interceptor duty is, but if you are lacking pilots, I'm sure you could scrape some bloody remains out of my old armor and install them into a cockpit, that should be about right for the average skill level of the XCOM airforce. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

Megane survived because she is a Luck Star. Don't take that from her.
This. If you change it and then something XCOM happens to Megane, how are you going to feel?

• Locked thread