Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EYw9XBwzMQ

GOTY - Every Year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a pretty big difference between "this feature seems like it's overemphasized" and "poor design causes some basic unlocks to be permanently missable", or "the game permanently sends me through the floor and saves my file there".

Origins was most buggy on the PC version (much like Knight!) and many of the things you complain about don't exist on the console version or have been present in other games. (Including the game saving in an unescapable area.)

I know you like Rocksteady but there ain't really any excuse for the design problems in Knight beyond 'the studio made us do it." Even if you don't mind the Batmobile stuff it's pretty clear that it is significantly less well-designed than the rest of the game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 27, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

ImpAtom posted:

Origins was most buggy on the PC version (much like Knight!) and many of the things you complain about don't exist on the console version or have been present in other games. (Including the game saving in an unescapable area.)

My point is you're confusing bugs or fundamental defects with a questionable design choice and something that hasn't been reproduced. I don't know of a My Alibi equivalent in Knight, nor have I seen any indication that any of these things were attributable to the main developer, as was the case with many of the problems in Origins.

Knight has a bad port, Origins was badly made from the ground up. The defects of the Batmobile stuff (which appears to amount to "there's too much of it, it's not what I wanted") really doesn't compare with "there are only two-three chances to complete this challenge in a given playthrough, and no indication that this is the case"- or "disarm and destroy is accessible after 80% of the main story is complete".

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 27, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Who's officer bouldon again?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

My point is you're confusing bugs or fundamental defects with a questionable design choice and something that hasn't been reproduced. I don't know of a My Alibi equivalent in Knight, nor have I seen any indication that any of these things were attributable to the main developer, as was the case with many of the problems in Origins.

... What? No I'm not. The fact that you're dividing it into 'fundamental defects' and 'questionable design choices' based off "I like it" and "I don't like it" is pretty goddamn telling I have to say. If someone dislikes the Batmobile it is absolutely a more significant detriment to their enjoyment of the game than a missable challenge in Arkham Origins. I've encountered replicatible bugs in Arkham Knight including one which crashed my PS4 so hard I have to literally unplug the system to get it to turn off. It is absolutely a flawed game. It's still a very good game but you're absolutely not holding the two to the same standards.

And in terms of actual bad PC releases, Knight's eclipses Origins to a frankly ridiculous degree and no amount of 'it was ported by an outside developer' will change that or excuse that. It would only matter if you were talking about Rocksteady being at fault for it. Otherwise it only matters if you're trying to fanboy-wank about how you can't hold the game responsible for having a lovely port.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

My favorite thing to do in this game is finish fights with the stun juggle kick because like 50% of the time it ends hilariously and the ragdoll goes crazy.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

bunnyofdoom posted:

Who's officer bouldon again?

The officer that really really wants to bone Poison Ivy

Also I just discovered a glitch where the visual effect doesn't appear on electrified enemies, which really made that fight unfun.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

And in terms of actual bad PC releases, Knight's eclipses Origins to a frankly ridiculous degree and no amount of 'it was ported by an outside developer' will change that or excuse that. It would only matter if you were talking about Rocksteady being at fault for it. Otherwise it only matters if you're trying to fanboy-wank about how you can't hold the game responsible for having a lovely port.

That's literally what he was saying, he was responding to someone else saying that Rocksteady's reputation is taking a hit from the PC port.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The batmobile is the GTA 4 car handling of this game. Only noobies hate it.

Pretend I empty quoted this.

Game is great. Bat mobile owns. Sorry PC players, hope your issues get fixed soon.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 27, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

That's literally what he was saying, he was responding to someone else saying that Rocksteady's reputation is taking a hit from the PC port.

No he wasn't.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Jesus, it's like Arkham Origins all over again.

This is the post he responded to. It, nor the one it is responding to, say anything about Rocksteady.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

CharlestonJew posted:

So the 2 best characters in the game are Officer Boulden and the lonely checkpoint commander

That commander has a surprising amount of dialog just grumbling about how he'll show everyone that he can do it all by himself. I left him alone cause I want him to be the one guy to walk away going TOLD YOU GUYS. His checkpoint isn't even in a useful spot to guard.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I really wish Rocksteady has focused on giving us a populated city rather than the Batmobile. I actually like driving around, but Arkhams four games are exclusively filled with thugs that sound like the same three guys.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

I really wish Rocksteady has focused on giving us a populated city rather than the Batmobile. I actually like driving around, but Arkhams four games are exclusively filled with thugs that sound like the same three guys.

I'm not really sure how you do that and make it both meaningful and fun, to be honest. I can't really see what civilians would add.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not really sure how you do that and make it both meaningful and fun, to be honest. I can't really see what civilians would add.

Batman could go full on Prototype and "knock out" citizens by grappling up the side of a building with grandma and throwing her off.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

ImpAtom posted:

Well... You're probably right.

The empty city just feels artificial in a way Asylum didn't. Batman comes off like a dick when he punches, tortures, and runs over everyone who has the nerve to not flee the city.

Rocksteady's gameplay feels like its at direct odds with the story at times.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Tell you what though, it's the best combat this series has ever seen. Can't wait until it loving WORKS

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Tell you what though, it's the best combat this series has ever seen. Can't wait until it loving WORKS

It really is. Almost every single change they've made is a huge improvement.

If they put out an Infinite Challenge Room/100 Challenge Room DLC like the previous games had I'd buy it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

With all the LexCorp stuff I wonder if Rocksteady is planning on some kind of Superman game.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There really needs to be an option to turn down the frequency of criminal chatter. I can't go 10 seconds without hearing the same blathering.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

plape tickler posted:

There really needs to be an option to turn down the frequency of criminal chatter. I can't go 10 seconds without hearing the same blathering.

I still haven't figured out how to catch up with Man-Bat so half the chatter is coming from him.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Rirse posted:

I still haven't figured out how to catch up with Man-Bat so half the chatter is coming from him.

Jump off a tall building he's flying by and land on top of him.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

plape tickler posted:

Thug chat is like half the charm.

"YOU EVER WONDER IF WE'RE JUST PAWNS IN SOME BIG POINTLESS GAME?! No? Me neither."

"Better Gotham than Keystone; at least you can see Batman coming..."

"I got poisoned by Ivy back in the Asylum, and I still feel guilty whenever I step on grass."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Funky Valentine posted:

With all the LexCorp stuff I wonder if Rocksteady is planning on some kind of Superman game.

I know they said this would be the last Batman game, but I sincerely hope there's a kickass easter egg that hints at their next project like in the previous games.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
All the most wanted missions in this game feel too short, although looking back at Arkham City they do seem to be generally more fleshed out.

With the Hush mission though, the twist was great but it was disappointing when that was literally all there was to it. Also, Hush and Harley not being locked up in GCPD bothers my OCD and deprives me of driving them to lockup which I always found satisfying. In fact, it would have been cool if there were some supervillains wandering the town without associated side missions that you could track down and lock up.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
drat, the last Riddler race was so freaking hard... Until I tried the first person mode. Then it was super easy.

Wtf Batman, why didn't you do that before?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's kind of odd how people thought there were no other heroes in the Arkham Universe when there's an explicit reference to Captain Boomerang in Origins.

But I know one of the Militia guys mentions Superman and apparently someone else mentions Flash? That's pretty cool.

Speaking of which, I'd love to have a Flash game. You'd just need to limit his speed in a believable way, I guess.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Proposition Joe posted:

All the most wanted missions in this game feel too short, although looking back at Arkham City they do seem to be generally more fleshed out.

Man-Bat's takes forever because there's a long wait between when you can hunt him down.

I think Two-Face's is the only one you can do in one-shot the moment you get it.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Calaveron posted:

I know they said this would be the last Batman game, but I sincerely hope there's a kickass easter egg that hints at their next project like in the previous games.

Time to use multiple explosive gels on literally every wall in the game.

Messing with the ini files like crazy gave me partially acceptable performance, I can see such a fun game in here. If the performance issues get worked out I could see this being my favorite, I even like the batmobile.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Did we ever find out what the big secret hint towards their next project was in City? Rocksteady said that the "City of Fear" boat apparently wasn't the only one.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's kind of odd how people thought there were no other heroes in the Arkham Universe when there's an explicit reference to Captain Boomerang in Origins.

There weren't any real references to other heroes before Origins, is the thing. Metropolis and Keystone are mentioned in City as part of Hugo's Arkham City chain of prisons, but no mention about how their heroes might react to them.

There's a brief reference to the Injustice Gang in Asylum, and by extension that means the Justice League is a thing, but Asylum also talks about Hugo Strange and Hush like Batman's met them many times before.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fair enough.

On another note, there's a mod to play as all of the characters in Free Roam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXeJNHHv-qY

Red Hood's takedown at 6:20. :stare:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 27, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Pirate Jet posted:

Did we ever find out what the big secret hint towards their next project was in City? Rocksteady said that the "City of Fear" boat apparently wasn't the only one.

What? Really?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You can get 100% even after you have Azrael spare Batman. The last one is the corrupt cop who goes in a holding cell, not the big lock-up. If Rocksteady made a Flash game, I feel like it would be a lot of the non-tank Batmobile sections.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SonicRulez posted:

You can get 100% even after you have Azrael spare Batman. The last one is the corrupt cop who goes in a holding cell, not the big lock-up. If Rocksteady made a Flash game, I feel like it would be a lot of the non-tank Batmobile sections.

Clunky and not actually fast at all?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I liked the Batmobile; that final fight against the giant thing in the tunnels was loving fantastic, but the Batmobile really does feel too clunky at times.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 27, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I think you have to kind of ignore most of what Arkham Asylum implies about the world for it to make sense. It's clearly prior to them trying to worldbuild.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

ImpAtom posted:

No he wasn't.

This is the post he responded to. It, nor the one it is responding to, say anything about Rocksteady.

Right, the one who made it about Rocksteady was you. You're arguing both sides of the developer and launch issues. And yeah, I'll go ahead and say "permanently missable objects with no indicators" is worse than "there's too much batmobile, which I personally don't enjoy".

edit: Am I the only one who thinks having Red Hood constantly hold both his pistols in his hands makes him look ridiculous in combat?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 27, 2015

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Fair enough.

On another note, there's a mod to play as all of the characters in Free Roam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXeJNHHv-qY

Red Hood's takedown at 6:20. :stare:

Aw, they don't actually let you do that? That's bullshit. It seemed like the game was leading up to that.

Edit: Btw, that is a Batman takedown. I've seen him do it. Those characters don't have unique interrogation animations.

futureproof fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 27, 2015

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Harlock posted:

Feels like Conroy is losing the voice a little bit. Or just getting old.

He sounds the same to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Right, the one who made it about Rocksteady was you. You're arguing both sides of the developer and launch issues. And yeah, I'll go ahead and say "permanently missable objects with no indicators" is worse than "there's too much batmobile, which I personally don't enjoy".

No, I'm really not. Origins was a flawed game. Knight is a flawed game. They are flawed in different ways (and I think Knight is a better game) but that doesn't excuse Knight's flaws. The comparisons to Origins, especially with regards to the poor quality of the PC port, are completely valid.

As for the other thing:. the Batmobile makes up a very large chunk of gameplay. If you dislike the Batmobile, even if you like the rest of the games or liked the previous games, it has an extremely negative impact on your enjoyment. Missing the challenge in Origins is annoying but is otherwise represents a very minor impact on the game. Of the two, the one that is mandatory, dominates huge chunks of the game, and is a large departure from the core gameplay of the last 2 (or 3 if you count Origins) games in the series is a much more significant Bad Design Decision that having to get a challenge on a New Game +. That isn't defending the fact that is a problem but of the two one can be ignored and the other can't.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

futureproof posted:

Btw, that is a Batman takedown. I've seen him do it. Those characters don't have unique interrogation animations.

Batman doesn't kill, but he slams people head first into concrete.

I don't think someone on the dev team thought that all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Batman doesn't kill, but he slams people head first into concrete.

I don't think someone on the dev team thought that all the way through.

Batman doesn't kill, he rams people's cars off the road and into walls at 70mph!

It's okay. They were... rubber... walls?

• Locked thread