Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Those Iraqi pilots go straight from DLI to flight school. Goddamn is that a recipe for disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

inkjet_lakes posted:

Note how close that Tornado gets to its shadow at times :aaa:

Sometimes a Tornado has to fly so low that even 23mm rounds that fall short can still ricochet up and get a kill.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That Kenyan dude with the self built plane conducted a test flight

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like everything was going according to plan, until the landing gear malfunctioned

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

That ... seems to be missing a few important pieces. Like a vertical stab.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ardeem posted:

That ... seems to be missing a few important pieces. Like a vertical stab.

And a LWR greater than 1.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Holy :lol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dead Reckoning posted:

Will they be putting a stake through its heart, filling the cockpit with holy wafers, and burying it in consecrated ground?

They're going to strip everything that looks like maybe it'll work, because spare parts are oddly hard to get at times. They peeled everything off 0008 that didn't burn or bend in the crash landing and subsequent fire. Tinker even had "can birds" on the ramp from time to time because so much poo poo had to be sourced from far-off places or just fabricated.

Christ, they picked Yukla 27 for parts to put back in the inventory. And that was 20 years ago.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Cann birds are a fact of life in most USAF mx units.

But yeah, they're totally going to strip everything off of that bird and then some, spare parts is actually the biggest reason AMARG exists in the first place.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
congrats everyone we did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5LdkPaERhI

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Is it wrong that I expected it to go exactly like the Kenyan dude's ?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That seems like a very low climb speed for a combat jet...

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
DCH-3 Otter went down with 8 people sightseeing from a cruise. I think a guy I work with and his family are on the same cruise. :/

http://www.wsj.com/news/articles/SB11871130314313103897904581071500184640590

E: Wrong cruise for the guy I work with.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I'd like to know how much fuel the aircraft was carrying.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jonny Nox posted:

That seems like a very low climb speed for a combat jet...

It's not actually aerodynamically flying yet, when it leaves the ramp. It's still in transition from powered-lift to forwards flight. You can see the nozzle swivel as it leaves the ramp to keep the commanded pitch angle.

Every time I think of how hosed the F-35 program is, I just think of how hosed the QE class procurement has been for the RN...

...And then they're going to fly F-35s off it. :britain:

:v:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
They're putting my girl down. :negative: Attending the festivities today and tomorrow.

http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/309891341.html

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Psion posted:

I think that really depends on how much $40 is worth to you. You'll survive regular economy but you probably won't like it. Is that worth $80 for both legs? y/n. I'd go for it, personally. Air travel is lovely enough as it is, might as well be a little more comfortable while you're dealing with it all. And I'm shorter than you, probably :v:

There's something else to consider with anything in the MD-series, though, and that's how far back in the plane you are. If you're in the way back you'll hate your life and it won't be seat pitch doing it to you. I'd pay for economy comfort to be in the front of the plane so as not to get stuck in 35A like I always seem to be :mad:

This was my view AUS -> ATL last week on an MD-90:

Plus there was the added bonus of the condensation from the AC unit pouring on a few people, myself included.

Thankfully my upgrade cleared ATL -> BDL because I was not looking forward to another 2 hour flight in the back of the bus.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The gently caress? You had water pouring out of the AC into the cabin bad enough that they had to hang towels? :lol:

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

slidebite posted:

The gently caress? You had water pouring out of the AC into the cabin bad enough that they had to hang towels? :lol:

Yup. Especially during takeoff & climb out it was all running along the interior lighting toward the back of the plane & raining on us.

The flight attendants told us not to open our air vents because they would spray water. Unfortunetely for the guy in front of me his vent wouldn't close all the way....

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
MD-80s/90s are the worst, this is just further proof

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

http://imgur.com/a/EeFUt?gallery

Some guy got clearance to publish photos of a refuelling session. Surely someday someone'll bring a 50 megapixel monster camera

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Mooecow posted:

Yup. Especially during takeoff & climb out it was all running along the interior lighting toward the back of the plane & raining on us.

The flight attendants told us not to open our air vents because they would spray water. Unfortunetely for the guy in front of me his vent wouldn't close all the way....

I had this happen to me on an Air Canada CRJ about halfway from Saskatoon to Vancouver.

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.

Psion posted:

MD-80s/90s are the worst, this is just further proof

My only love of them is comes from how old they are and Delta just keeps flyin them. poo poo, I mean Delta was flying the DC-9-50 (yes yes, not an MD-80...) until January 2014. The last aircraft of that make was delivered in 1975.

block51 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 26, 2015

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

block51 posted:

The last aircraft of that make was delivered in 1975.

1981, Wikipedia's chart is backwards, the first deliveries were in 1975, last in 1981

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

block51 posted:

My only love of them is how old they tend to be and Delta just keeps flyin them. poo poo, I mean Delta was flying the DC-9-50 (yes yes, not an MD-80...) until January 2014. The last aircraft of that make was delivered in 1975.

The MDs are still by far my favorite aircraft in the Delta fleet. 16 FC seats, 2x3 seating if your upgrade doesn't clear, and they are quiet up front. I'd much rather fly on them then any CRJ/ERJ, A319/320 or 737.

Although I will admit by the end the DC9s were getting really tired. They hadn't updated the interiors in them in years and it really showed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mooecow posted:

The MDs are still by far my favorite aircraft in the Delta fleet. 16 FC seats, 2x3 seating if your upgrade doesn't clear, and they are quiet up front. I'd much rather fly on them then any CRJ/ERJ, A319/320 or 737.

Although I will admit by the end the DC9s were getting really tired. They hadn't updated the interiors in them in years and it really showed.

The problem with saying ERJ is that the ERJ-145 is the worst jet and the ERJ-170/175 is the best.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

The problem with saying ERJ is that the ERJ-145 is the worst jet and the ERJ-170/175 is the best.

30" pitch... yeah, no. 'Lets make a plane more cramped than the 737' isn't a race you want to win.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Lol I flew ATL to BDL yesterday on an MD 88, luckily no water was pouring on me. Sitting in 10B kinda sucked a little but it was better than the Embraer I flew on the last time I went back east to see family

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The lesson in all this is avoid anything with a T-tail.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

30" pitch... yeah, no. 'Lets make a plane more cramped than the 737' isn't a race you want to win.

Whereas Economy Comfort Comfort+ in a ERJ 175 is amazing, 18.25" seat width, 34" seat pitch.

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.

SybilVimes posted:

1981, Wikipedia's chart is backwards, the first deliveries were in 1975, last in 1981

Thanks! The thing that inspired me to even look up solid dates was a flight my dad took from ATL to CHS a few years back. He commented that it was on a DC-9. I was amazed as I had no idea they still flew them!

Edit: A cool video by an MD-80 pilot extolling the virtues of it from his perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R0CViDUBFs

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Timmy Cruise posted:

I had this happen to me on an Air Canada CRJ about halfway from Saskatoon to Vancouver.

Good old CRJ rain-in-the-plane. Always fun to play "is it condensation, or a leaky beacon/antenna?"

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Linedance posted:

Good old CRJ rain-in-the-plane. Always fun to play "is it condensation, or a leaky beacon/antenna?"

:stare: that would mean leaks into the pressure boundary?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Timmy Cruise posted:

An antenna is a penetration point almost by definition. It's not like aircraft are double-hulled. Besides, the pressure vessel leaks (air) like hell, already. You just have to pump more in than leaks out. Which is easy with turbine engines.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
When I was stuck a few weeks ago in Asheville a few Tstorms rolled through and dumped enough rain to make the cockpit roof hatch leak in a CRJ. I was watching with nervous glee to see if any water was going to hit the center console and short out the avionics :stare:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

vulturesrow posted:

They're putting my girl down. :negative: Attending the festivities today and tomorrow.

http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/309891341.html

My brother always said the nicest/most "has his poo poo together" guys from flight school seemed to become Prowler guys

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Timmy Cruise posted:

Sitting outside on the ramp in a rainstorm unpressurised, water gets in, saturates the insulation blankets, pools on the ceiling panels. Then (generally) on rotation, it all spills out and people get wet.
Or, in a humid hot day, the kind that breeds thunderstorms and heavy rain, the air conditioning creates loads of fog machine condensation, which collects on the colder metal skin, saturates the insulation blankets, drips on to the ceiling panels, pools, people get wet.
Or, passenger 3 seats up put a 2 liter bottle of water they bought in the terminal in the overhead bin, didn't do the top up, it leaked, found its way out somewhere else in the cabin, people get wet.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Guess if you don't feel it on the inside, you've gotta wear it on the outside, eh Jumbo?

(yes I know Transaero does sick paintjobs on their birds)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If we're doing animal airplanes, I saw this in Brussels earlier this month, from the jetway:

Tintin was a French language, Belgian comic of some sort

edit: modeled after this shark-submarine, I suppose:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 27, 2015