Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

One of these things is not like the other

Yeah I very badly phrased that, it's true if the laptop goes it's almost as if we lost the actual server because the certifier and admin ID files are stored on it, as well as the ID files for everyone else. Each client accesses the their respective ID file over a network share.

I fixed what I said above, the plastic thing is the main email (ln1) server where everyone's nsf files are stored, where mail is routed around, etc. The black box (ln2) to the left of it, is the outbound email. Which is basically just a machine with one internet NIC/one lan NIC and a forward policy, or something; I've explained I don't know how it works, pointing to the internet.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

OhDearGodNo posted:

Eventually I will. I'm not a linux guy.

Would the logs have just repeated the error, or provided more detail?

Post the error. Also post /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog from the same time. I also bet the application has some kind of log. If it's failing on a bash script, instead of just running it, do bash -x ./SCRIPT and you can see it run in the foreground step by step.

Linux is many difficult things, one of which is that it usually gives too much data instead of not enough.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Mrit posted:

Holy poo poo. At least most sane people will have all in-band management on a separate vlan, which should prevent this from being a big issue.(disclaimer - I'm still working on my CCNA)

I think most sane people aren't using any of the affected products, honestly. Who would buy a Cisco email security virtual appliance?

Probably the same people that would need the device to have default root ssh keys so cisco support can configure it for them.

Also, yeah, linux is generally pretty good about telling you what is wrong.

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!
A friend of mine just lost his job as a sharepoint architect (may not be the exact title, not my field). Any suggestions on where to look for openings in the Denver area that i can pass on to him? I think he has about ~6 years of experience.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

OhDearGodNo posted:

Also, I learned that linux throws fits and won't tell really you why. So you spend 2 hours thinking something else is jacked up only to realize the person who should know the most downloaded 32 bit files instead of the 64 for the install.

In this case, and I'm guessing based on a bad description, there are two problems.

The first is that things were installed outside of the package manager (which handles dependencies).

The seconds is that 32 bit binaries can't use 64 bit libs. ldd is the fastest way to see what's missing, but trying to run the binary from a console will say "error while loading shared libraries: libfoo.so.0"

Windows uses DLLs. Linux (and OSX) use shared libs. Linux (and most proprietary UNIXes these days) uses ELF. OSX uses MACH-O, but can use ELF. Both a modern replacements for legacy a.out. Like windows DLLs, the difference between a binary you run and one that's loaded is the entry point and a definition in the header (PE for windows, ELF/whatever on *nix, including OSX). I say all this because windows has the same 32/64 problems. It's just that Windows installer packages include every dependency it needs that's not part of a base install, and jams them in system32 or winsxs or inside the folder in program files, depending on the library.

Linux expects "libxdmcp" to be in a package which handles that,and everything else links against that. The upside is that security fixes can be handled for an entire system by updating one package (which isn't always the case in Windows). The downside is that applications don't ship their own libs in 2015 unless it's Oracle or Tivoli or something.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah sorry if you were a novice using Windows for the first time, and tried to run a 64 bit executable on a 32 bit OS, you'd probably get some garbage error about binary formats, too. Saying an entire OS is poo poo because it doesn't handle an edge case as well as it could is kind of dumb.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 27, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Will Rice posted:

A friend of mine just lost his job as a sharepoint architect (may not be the exact title, not my field). Any suggestions on where to look for openings in the Denver area that i can pass on to him? I think he has about ~6 years of experience.

Post in the Denver thread in the LAN sub forums.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Docjowles posted:

Yeah sorry if you were a novice using Windows for the first time, and tried to run a 64 bit executable on a 32 bit OS, you'd probably get some garbage error about binary formats, too. Saying an entire OS is poo poo because it doesn't handle an edge case as well as it could is kind of dumb.
Huh?

When did I ever say Linux was poo poo?

The problem was a layer 8 error.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
PEBCAK > layer 8

But "Linux throws fits and won't really tell you why..."

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

evol262 posted:

PEBCAK > layer 8

But "Linux throws fits and won't really tell you why..."

I'm not sure how you equate that with "Saying an entire OS is poo poo"

Post the error. Also post /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog from the same time. I also bet the application has some kind of log. If it's failing on a bash script, instead of just running it, do bash -x ./SCRIPT and you can see it run in the foreground step by step.

Linux is many difficult things, one of which is that it usually gives too much data instead of not enough.

I would, but it's at the lab and it's Saturday. We got the package installed by the end of the day so it's all good.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm not sure how you equate that with "Saying an entire OS is poo poo"
Well, I didn't. Docjowles did.

But "here's an unsubstantiated unintentionally hyperbolic statement about something predicated on my ignorance" (like "Linux throws fits and won't really tell you why...") doesn't come off well either.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why do you care, let the ISP deal with it? Apparently Comcast is an evil terrible company in the USA so who really cares.

He should care because I've seen where people have stolen cable and completely hosed up the service for everyone else on that node. On top of that rain can get into the pedestal and potentially cause similar issues.

Then again, I'm surprised that they can even do this, I thought Comcast was 100% digital now and you needed converters and whatnot.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

But "here's an unsubstantiated unintentionally hyperbolic statement about something predicated on my ignorance" (like "Linux throws fits and won't really tell you why...") doesn't come off well either.
oh christ cut the IRC poo poo

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Vulture Culture posted:

oh christ cut the IRC poo poo

I'm pretty much just gonna tell you to go back half a page, where I don't give a poo poo what people think about it (it being Linux, and whatever subtext I didn't read into the statement), and I didn't give him any grief about it at all.

Then I'm gonna tell you to remember about a week ago, wherein I don't think being able to grasp and elucidate other people's opinions means that I hold them myself.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 27, 2015

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I love computer!!! gently caress EVERYONE! I WANT TO TOUCH AND SEX A GIRL.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

crunk dork posted:

True.dat

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

crunk dork posted:

Actually, those are pedophiles, ephebophiles are th

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone know a good solution for charging dozens of iphones at once? I've got a department that uses them as a paging system and I'd like to replace the nest of power strips with something reasonable.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone know a good solution for charging dozens of iphones at once? I've got a department that uses them as a paging system and I'd like to replace the nest of power strips with something reasonable.

Get some 10-port charging hubs?

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Family-Sized-Charger-Technology-AX-TPCS/dp/B00OJ79UK6/ref=pd_sim_147_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=079YVYB8NTWBTQP8AK9M

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's a company that makes a 50 port USB charging tower:

http://www.amazon.com/Yubi-Power-Universal-Protection-Usb-charged/dp/B00HVMJM9U
Maybe that, next to a bunch of small shelves?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

There's a company that makes a 50 port USB charging tower:

http://www.amazon.com/Yubi-Power-Universal-Protection-Usb-charged/dp/B00HVMJM9U
Maybe that, next to a bunch of small shelves?

That's pretty cool. I might see if I can get one for testing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

Huh?

When did I ever say Linux was poo poo?

The problem was a layer 8 error.

Yeah I apologize. I made a bad post.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Enough people (I'm as guilty as anyone) have been skipping our daily status meeting that my boss is making it Actually Mandatory now. Boooooooo, 15 minutes hearing about what everyone is doing all day even though I'm on all the emails.
This is a great thing. Keeping all members of your team synced is super good for so many reason. Also emails is a horrible form of communication.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I start the new job tomorrow. I don't think I made an official :yotj: post. I'm nervous about how little I actually know but I have a feeling I'll learn a ton pretty quickly.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Anybody have experience scripting the adding / attaching of block storage volumes in Rackspace (using Powershell or otherwise)? I'm currently trying to use PoshStack to get the job done but can't seem to get it to work. We're automating our infrastructure build using Puppet and would like to add this part to the mix.

side note: Have barely visited this thread because this new job is just so loving awesome and I've actually been busy doing cool stuff, like deploying servers / websites / databases all over the place with Puppet.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Bisse posted:

This is a great thing. Keeping all members of your team synced is super good for so many reason. Also emails is a horrible form of communication.
It's great for other people because they care what other people are doing and can't figure it out by reading emails that go around. I barely care and everything I need to know is in emails, this is just an inconvenience for me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Daily standups can be a giant productivity boost if they're done right and led well, but they almost never are. The goal should be to keep the team focused on what's important and what's supposed to be coming next, not to dwell on implementation minutiae of work that's already been completed. Most standup meetings live somewhere in this ether between codeless code review and developers pontificating on their insecurities around however they spent the previous day.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Every so often the higher ups decide we need to start having weekly meetings. So we do. Then after a few weeks, it becomes apparent that there is not a whole lot being discussed in these meetings, so we all say "Uh what is the point of this?" Then the meetings stop. A few months pass, and the cycle begins anew!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
2 of my 3 standups have booked conference rooms where we all shuffle in a few minutes early, take a seat, shoot the poo poo, talk about random stuff, and then boom half an hour gone on a standup for a team with only 8 people.

syg
Mar 9, 2012
In a touchy situation. Our lead web developer is being made redundant by the fact that we have decided to outsource all our web. His team is gone but he has some basic sysadmin and networking skills though so they've decided to keep him on as a sysadmin and to assist me (sys architect)... At the same salary... Now I have a guy who has just above helpdesk experience making the same amount of money as me, the lead architect for the company with 15 years experience.

Should I try to do anything about this? Other than this fact I'm pretty happy with my compensation, but how am I supposed to delegate and supervise someone who I know makes as much money as I do with zero responsibility and significantly less skills and experience? My manager said he asked them to "correct" my salary in light of the situation but nothing has come of it yet, and I don't expect it to as money is tight lately.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Would it be an issue if you didn't know his salary? Can't fault the guy for making decent money and if the only reason you're unhappy is because his compensation is the same, that's not a huge problem to have.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If the only problem is that he's overpaid, I'd just learn to live with it. It's not your problem.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

syg posted:

In a touchy situation. Our lead web developer is being made redundant by the fact that we have decided to outsource all our web. His team is gone but he has some basic sysadmin and networking skills though so they've decided to keep him on as a sysadmin and to assist me (sys architect)... At the same salary... Now I have a guy who has just above helpdesk experience making the same amount of money as me, the lead architect for the company with 15 years experience.

Should I try to do anything about this? Other than this fact I'm pretty happy with my compensation, but how am I supposed to delegate and supervise someone who I know makes as much money as I do with zero responsibility and significantly less skills and experience? My manager said he asked them to "correct" my salary in light of the situation but nothing has come of it yet, and I don't expect it to as money is tight lately.

How do you know his salary? It doesn't really have anything to do with it. That would be extremely lovely of you to "do something about it".

syg
Mar 9, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

How do you know his salary? It doesn't really have anything to do with it. That would be extremely lovely of you to "do something about it".

Well I'm not really in a position to "do anything" aside from whine about it or look elsewhere for work. It was told to me by my CIO without my inquiring. I feel it could be hard to supervise and work with someone directly knowing that I am taking all the responsibility but not being compensated any differently. If the consensus is that it wouldn't bother anyone else then perhaps I am overreacting and just need to forget about it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I dunno, I think being bothered by it is understandable, but it seems like it's a case of his salary being over inflated more than yours being too low.

So yeah, I dunno if I would really try to "do something" about it since it seems that the likely outcome would be his getting slashed which is...lovely.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wouldn't really worry about it, odds are the guy is only going to be there long enough to find a different job anyway.

It sounds like you feel you were compensated fairly before this happened, but now he took a demotion, but the company is letting him keep his old pay rate, your personal compensation is no longer adequate? This isn't like a newhire walking in the door making more than the manager, (and that situation can happen), it's a little different.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Would you rather work for a company that just dumped people? (like most do)

I'd be happy for the guy and do the best you can to make it work. Unless he acts like a total poo poo that is...

I'm making assumptions here, but it doesn't make a ton of sense for him to stay on long term and lose his dev skills though, so chances are he won't be there that long. Maybe the company is just doing this as a soft severance, knowing that he will want to find new dev work anyway.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also, you being bothered by it sure beats the guy getting demoted and his salary slashed. Not his fault the company outsourced his job.

syg
Mar 9, 2012
Fair enough, guess I'm just a bit too close to the situation to see it objectively. I'll try to brush it off and make the best of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dark Helmut posted:

I'm making assumptions here, but it doesn't make a ton of sense for him to stay on long term and lose his dev skills though, so chances are he won't be there that long. Maybe the company is just doing this as a soft severance, knowing that he will want to find new dev work anyway.
This is the same impression I got. I can't imagine he's sticking around very long. Maybe talk to him and find out his intentions?