Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Also, those evil wizards in Exdeath's castle are great.

They cast Death.
I only have 2 Reflect rings.

:smugbert: And they STILL can't kill anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Oh, how I've missed this. :allears:

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk

Nihilarian posted:

I think they mentioned in the prefiesta stream that Wendigo always starts out in the top right?

I always assumed, from Djibriel's walkthrough on GameFAQs that the real Wendigo is whichever you hit first...but I figured it meant damage, not any ability. Maybe it would have been easier to Dark Spark first thing. The more you know! :eng101:

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

First time playing FFV, first run: Black Mage, Mystic Knight, Ranger, Chemist.

Super fun times! I definitely plan to do at least one more run after this.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

CapitalistPig posted:

I was really hoping I could get Omega this run but he is just wrecking me over and over, I'm having a hard time figuring out the timing for stopping him with a bard, he just gets out of it too quick even with three people with sing.

Finally!

I had to leave the rift, grind grind grind up to almost level 40 , buy flame rings and get lucky

did it on the 28th try

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I was gonna go for the triple crown, but is it possible to beat shinryu without being able to inflict blind? I can berserk him but no blind and I cant keep golem up long enough to outweigh the attacks.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Classtoise posted:

Also, those evil wizards in Exdeath's castle are great.

They cast Death.
I only have 2 Reflect rings.

:smugbert: And they STILL can't kill anyone.

on 5 separate occasions, my dancing dirk zerker managed to charm them, and they immediately used the opportunity to turn themselves to stone.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

CapitalistPig posted:

I was gonna go for the triple crown, but is it possible to beat shinryu without being able to inflict blind? I can berserk him but no blind and I cant keep golem up long enough to outweigh the attacks.

Give everyone Hermes Sandals and !Summon.

... Wait, hang on, you've also got White Mage. Blink is your friend. Cast blink, too.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Edward_Tohr posted:

Give everyone Hermes Sandals and !Summon.

... Wait, hang on, you've also got White Mage. Blink is your friend. Cast blink, too.

I have two hermes sandals right now, but i'll try this.

Wolverine Tamer
Jul 29, 2013

CapitalistPig posted:

Of course you can beat him without blinding him, it just takes a truckload of phoenix downs and 4 pairs of hermes shoes. Just try to keep golem up as much as possible and revive your guys as they go down. It's tedious but it's possible.

Edit: beaten

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

A little too late for the Fartz train; however, its still a win. Summoner/Bard/Ranger/Dragoon . Pretty much slept through everything, between Summon & RapidFire.

I didn't need to grind nearly as much as I did; however, I've beaten NED with some low offence teams in the past, so I wanted some :fuckoff: levels of catharsis by just ignoring him.

Shinryu and Omega were dead too. Forgot to kill them pre-grinding, but honestly with this team both were not exactly the most challenging.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 27, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mustard Iceman posted:

Uuuugggghhh... finally.

Could barely make a dent at level 21; at level 23, only had to use 10 Elixirs.

"only"

What was your strategy? Level 23 sounds insane to do it.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Yay! Thank you, once I got blink up on everyone it was cake, just unleashed bahamuts and sword dances until he was obliterated and kept refreshing blink on everyone as he hit them.

I didnt catch him disappearing fast enough, I hope RK accepts it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Monk is not the ideal first class to get, but it could be worse.

However, red mage as the second one is Very Yes considering I missed out on black and white mage. :getin:

Thanks to everyone who briefly tuned in to watch me mumble while I played the game very slowly and with no interesting strats (although what can a monk really do?)

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

13/f/cali posted:

Your team is Summon/Berserker/Berserker/Geomancer, right?

You can save yourself some grinding by priming the Wonder Wand to cast shell next and then bopping one of the non-berserkers before it goes off, then quickly get everyone back up and healed and it should be alright.

I would've had to grind my way to the Wonder Wand, since I forgot to pick it up.

Grinded up to level 42 & that was just enough health to fire off elixirs before sap drained the last little bit of HP; a little luck with the Grand Crosses & the job was done:

Alas, I'm too late for the Fartz train, but I'm already looking forward to my second, non-risk Chaos run. There are still so many classes I've never used, but over the...four? fiesta runs over the last 3 years now, I've had two summoners, two berzerkers, two geomancers and two dancers.

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

But if you hit the real Wendigo with Dark Spark, wouldn't it mean that Level 3 Flare is a guaranteed hit and that you don't need to worry about the fake ones?

I tried this, it only works once. When he changes location, it turns all the fake wendigos to level 3, and the real one back to level 7.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
so using the mod version with all classes unlocked in the beginning is loving bonkers, i just got done with the entire fire castle sequence and i'm clocked in at under 2 hours

gonna breeze through this, but running without save states this time so the end game is gonna suck

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Save states are for the weak, and so is the fast forward button.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Lurdiak posted:

Save states are for the weak, and so is the fast forward button.

I think I'd rather be a weenie than deal without those magnificent little tools. Just call me Mr. Pansy.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

RK up late this weekend, already logged my victory. Lucky timing.

Chaos run #2 stards with....Bard. Welp, nothing from wind or water locks out a lot of good jobs.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Continued my first time Fiesta Chaos run, got to the water crystal. Let's see what we get!

Well, now I have Ninja AND geomancer waiting for me. Freelancer team lives on.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

oldskool posted:

RK up late this weekend, already logged my victory. Lucky timing.

Chaos run #2 stards with....Bard. Welp, nothing from wind or water locks out a lot of good jobs.

Do we know how they order jobs in Chaos? For instance, if you get the two later Fire jobs (Bard or Ranger), can you get any of the other three earlier Fire jobs (Ninja, Beastmaster, Geomancer) from a later slot?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bufuman posted:

Do we know how they order jobs in Chaos? For instance, if you get the two later Fire jobs (Bard or Ranger), can you get any of the other three earlier Fire jobs (Ninja, Beastmaster, Geomancer) from a later slot?

It appears that the jobs are listed in the order you get them, so no.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

NGDBSS posted:

I know it's a bit late, but in my experience most of the bosses in this game can just be burned down with a sufficiently powerful alpha strike. Depending on which boss you're talking about*/your levels/your lineup, you may not actually be able to perform that alpha strike, but bosses like Catastrophe aren't actually terribly difficult if you can set up that alpha strike in the first place.

*Notably:
-Neo Exdeath has too much health and too many parts to do this.
-Omega has an attack script and counters that will destroy you if you try poking him incautiously, and his defenses are too high to deal damage in the first place without finding ways around them. (Rapid Fire, weaknesses, Sword Dance, etc.)
-Shinryu hits like a truck and has a bevy of status ailments to boot.

I can tell you from personal experience that Omega most certainly counters Rapid Fire. I tried several times and every single time the rapid fire went off I was blasted by 4 counters instantly. First time I engaged him I had an entire team with rapid fire queued to attack. The third rapid fire actually happened before everyone was obliterated.

U.S. GBA version.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

By default his Defense is 190 and his Magic Defense is 150, and thus most damage would simply fail to penetrate. My point on that clause was that Rapid Fire is one of several abilities that actually lets you get around that specific problem. And as noted on the previous clause, one also needs a way to deal with his counters. (Like you, I have been counterattacked by Omega when using Rapid Fire.)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Ugato posted:

I can tell you from personal experience that Omega most certainly counters Rapid Fire. I tried several times and every single time the rapid fire went off I was blasted by 4 counters instantly. First time I engaged him I had an entire team with rapid fire queued to attack. The third rapid fire actually happened before everyone was obliterated.

U.S. GBA version.

What do his counters include again? Could I conceivably get around the whole lot with, say, a Chemist with Dragon Kiss and Dragon Shielding?

(I'm hoping yes because otherwise I got no chance for a triple crown on my current run with Blue Mage / Ranger / Ranger / Chemist)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So I've never fought Exdeath before. Dude opened with Doom.

I opened with three Yellow Dragons. Then my Dancing Dirk Berk got off a Sword Dance.

Not even ten seconds man.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I haven't really played much of FF5 before this, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I decided to do a random run and drew Black Mage, Time Mage, Mystic Knight, and Geomancer. I'm right after getting the airship at the moment. I'm so glad I got the Mystic Knight job. When it was just Black Mage and Time Mage things were getting pretty rough since this is essentially a blind run. Depending on how long it takes, I might try another run of this. It's an interesting way to play a game.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

D_W posted:

I haven't really played much of FF5 before this, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I decided to do a random run and drew Black Mage, Time Mage, Mystic Knight, and Geomancer. I'm right after getting the airship at the moment. I'm so glad I got the Mystic Knight job. When it was just Black Mage and Time Mage things were getting pretty rough since this is essentially a blind run. Depending on how long it takes, I might try another run of this. It's an interesting way to play a game.

A word of advice: Don't try to use status effects with your Black Mage with that team. A Spellblade will almost always be more accurate.

A second word of advice: Remember this advice when you get access to Break. :getin:

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

I'm saving so much money from not needing to buy Rods or Ethers that I can just throw it at my enemies to spite them!

Wanted to see if I could take out wizard Exdeath without spamming Zeninage, though

Took a few tries but eventually I got Sword Dance/Wind Slash and a katana critical hit to land in the first round. After that it was a blur of HiPotions, Phoenix Downs and a Holy Water, while Jump and Gaia did most of the damage (didn't get another Sword Dance the rest of the battle). Once I get into the second phase and he started bouncing -aga spells onto himself, I had it.

Poque posted:

What was your strategy? Level 23 sounds insane to do it.
I spent a very long time farming Elixirs in the Ship Graveyard

Galuf with the Main Gauche; the other three with Diamond Bells. Faris and Lenna with Elven Mantles.
Turned the Battle Speed down.
Killed the Launchers first; they only got 1 missile off on Galuf.

Gave Galuf a potion so he would survive the 1st blast and went all-out on the cannon until it went off. Faris/Lenna were doing significantly more damage than the other two. After the Blast #1, they kept attacking while Bartz/Galuf gave everyone Elixirs. Repeated that after the Blast #2. After Blast #3, I just had Bartz/Galuf heal Faris/Lenna, then resumed attacking all-out. Blast #4 wiped out Bartz/Galuf, but the ladies did just enough damage to knock it out before Blast #5 hit.

Had to get the timing just right; on a couple attempts, the 2nd blast came before I got the 4th elixir out. On another attempt, launchers hit two people with missiles and the extra healing meant I couldn't knock the launcher down after the 4th blast. Could have just had everyone heal themselves each time but that would have used up more Elixirs and taken longer since Galuf and Bartz were doing less damage per attack.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bufuman posted:

What do his counters include again? Could I conceivably get around the whole lot with, say, a Chemist with Dragon Kiss and Dragon Shielding?

(I'm hoping yes because otherwise I got no chance for a triple crown on my current run with Blue Mage / Ranger / Ranger / Chemist)
You can, it just involves a bunch of crazy setup.

Omega's counters are Missile/Missile/Mustard Bomb, then Missile/Missile/Encircle. The Heavy tag (from Dragon Kiss) makes you immune to all but Mustard Bomb. The problem, prima facie, with Mustard Bomb is that in Omega's hands it will deal a ton of damage (due to Omega's high level and high Magic Power) and always hit. So to counter this you'll want to destroy his level. In the meantime, however, he'll be throwing his attack routine at you:

Atomic Ray/Delta Attack/Blaster
Wave Cannon
Rainbow Wind/Flame Thrower/Atomic Ray
Wave Cannon
Delta Attack/Blaster/Wave Cannon + Maelstrom/Earthquake/Rainbow Wind
Targeting
Rainbow Wind/Flame Thrower/Atomic Ray
Wave Cannon
[repeat from the top]

Atomic Ray and Flame Thrower are both fire-typed attacks, so immunity to such (from Flame Rings) will work there. Delta Attack can be reflected, so use Dragon Defense for that. Blaster inflicts Dead and can thus be blocked by Life Shield. Rainbow Wind inflicts Darkness and Mute...which you don't care about because you're probably using Rapid Fire, Blue Magic, and Chemists. (It also inflicts HP Leak, but on its own that's a joke once you get the Heavy tag.) Earthquake is a ground attack, so you'll want Levisalve to avoid it.

So at this point the only things you care about are Wave Cannon and Mustard Bomb. Wave Cannon is non-elemental and hits for half your maximum HP, so you'll need to heal it away fast with either White Wind or X-Potion. Mustard Bomb just does a ton of damage, so you'll need to heal through that as well. (Shell from Dragon Defense helps, and so does Goliath Tonic.) But at this point you should be well capable of buffing your levels out the rear end to the point where (assuming you have Thunder Bows and the like) your Rapid Fire hits do ridiculous damage and overwhelm him with fire. :black101:

Or you could shove seven Dragon Powers down his throat (quickly), then reflect Level 5 Death off your party to kill Omega instantly. :fuckoff: Edit: Nope, can't do this.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 27, 2015

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

NED was a breeze this time and definitely easier than Omega was for me, only took me two tries.

I had Krile set up as my WHM with equip ribbon secondary so my healer couldnt get hit with nasty statuses and she basically Curagaed each turn with random Esunas to take care of statuses on the two non ribboned people.
Fartz was dance/sing with full dancer gear plus man eater and he just danced every turn
Lenna and Faris were essentially the same summon with sing / sing with summon and were just keeping golem up and bahumating with phoenixes sprinkled in to revive.

NED went down fast.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

NGDBSS posted:

Or you could shove seven Dragon Powers down his throat (quickly), then reflect Level 5 Death off your party to kill Omega instantly. :fuckoff:

Sadly you cannot do that - L5 Death is fixed to target enemies only, and can't target your party. I've wanted to death by math Omega for ages but no go. :(

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

:allears:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Maybe you should've married a woman who can properly appreciate your Fartz. :colbert:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

KataraniSword posted:

Maybe you should've married a woman who can properly appreciate your Fartz. :colbert:

I just thought that was, certainly quite the pledge from mememaster420xl

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

A word of advice: Don't try to use status effects with your Black Mage with that team. A Spellblade will almost always be more accurate.

A second word of advice: Remember this advice when you get access to Break. :getin:

This is what I've been doing. I can't wait to get some of the more useful status effects. Poison just doesn't cut it.

What Geomancers like? All I know about them is that they ring bells at things.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:negative:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

No shame in that man, not much you can do when the rolls don't hand you a triple crown-able party. Not unless you want to Job Fair the broken jobs into your team every bad run, and then you'd look like a scrub instead.

EDIT: Or are you lamenting that you seem to keep getting Berserkers? OK, yeah, that's probably more likely. Zerkers, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Bad Seafood posted:

So I've never fought Exdeath before. Dude opened with Doom.

I opened with three Yellow Dragons. Then my Dancing Dirk Berk got off a Sword Dance.

Not even ten seconds man.
Reporting in to say Antlion thrashed me after I forgot to change Free D and Krile's jobs to things other than Dancer and Monk with !Catch.

• Locked thread