Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Zore posted:

or you could use a Saw and not suck :shrug:

1 average dam and 4%crit is not worth the LMG's downsides or insane cost. Especially when you can get a Gauss SAW to hit for 17/18 with HEAT pretty easily.

My Gunners are all mobile Rapid Fire "gently caress you robot" units. :colbert:

The range makes it worth it. Though a big part of it is because I usually build double tap gunners as faux-snipers. They almost entirely replaced sniper for me, the damage is way better, and the extra range is more than it sounds, and they don't have to reload constantly (especially compared to the gauss sniper rifle). The LMG pairs particularly well with the ready for anything perk too, since that breaks when you move. But yeah, before I get double tap or ready for anything I usually stick with a SAW too, cause that that point the LMG downsides don't make up for their strengths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

MrBims posted:

You're missing out. A strong showing from Mecs is routinely the deciding factor in whether my games survive fall of the first year. In the past I turned all my Scouts into ITZ Pathfinders, and now that it isn't possible, I turn all my Rocketeers into Archers. Getting 9 damage AOEs with HEAT at SGT level is nothing to scoff at.

It's all because I can't play a single campaign long enough to get that far, haha. I made a blood pact with Vahlen for this one though, come hell or high water it's gonna get there. I'll just dev console whatever issues crop up after the patch when it comes. Currently mid-July, MECs are still a few research topics away though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well here's a visual glitch I hadn't seen before;

Seeker tries to strangle one of my guys next to a chrysalid and somehow ends up hugging his alien pal instead.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
You don't need to rehost images from Steam. Just post the original picture so we can actually marvel at it. I can't tell what is going on there.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Man what the gently caress were they thinking with early bomb missions on impossible. Congratulations, you slogged through an entire map of thinmen, no doubt exhausting all your resources in the process in order to reach the bomb in time. You set up your soldiers across the area to hit as many thin men as possible when they drop in. The first thin men drops, and gets shot to ribbons! Great!

Now here's 5 more for you to deal with :shepicide:

Are you me?

I've been attempting ironman impossible for a week now, and I finally have a game where I've lucked out enough to make it to the end of April with a solid crew and in a good place panic-wise. Then that loving mission popped up. I went into it feeling pretty confident since all my guys were rank 3-4, with the increased squad size and two item upgrade purchased - for the first time I felf as though I was ahead of the game on impossible. I made it to the bomb in time but just barely, having lost a good soldier along the way, and the rest of my team crippled.

Still, I had done it.

Mission accomplished.

Or so I thought, because then they drop six loving thin men right on top of me. Needless to say, that was all she wrote, they wiped out what was left of my squad and sent the world in to panic. I guess I at least now know what to expect next time I see that mission pop up, but this playthrough is pretty much over for me.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
OK, time for the temple ship assault. Wish me luck!

161 Will should let me control all the things?

Chilong and Smash both have Telekinetic Field :)

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

monster on a stick posted:

Nope.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kennel posted:

:c00lbert:

Next I/I (nope).

I didn't take screenshots of the stats but I lost a good dozen troops, 4 of them being colonels. One of those colonels was my wounded mimetic skin scout I sent to his death by having him run under the uber ethereal before I barraged the gently caress out of the platform with rockets and mines.

He knew it was a one way trip.

Would have named him John Fox if I knew how it was going to play out.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I actually have a funny story about the Uber Ethereal. I got the bug where the doorway into the final room stopped being a door way and thus only had one colonel in there, thankfully I had some Archangel armor to fly across the gaps. And then my heavies in the other room blaster bombed him and everyone went home happy.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Onmi posted:

So I actually have a funny story about the Uber Ethereal. I got the bug where the doorway into the final room stopped being a door way and thus only had one colonel in there, thankfully I had some Archangel armor to fly across the gaps. And then my heavies in the other room blaster bombed him and everyone went home happy.

Man you blitzed through EW

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Uber Ethereal took a 17 crit headshot from Deadbolt :allears: and a Rift and that was that.

NOT FAIR :argh:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I was drunk and don't remember making this. http://gfycat.com/MatureVigorousBanteng

But it's on my desktop, so I clearly made it. I should drink less.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I really want to know what thought process led Drunk Hopeford to put together "Bradford" and "Jojo".

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Iron Rose posted:

Man you blitzed through EW

I should have clarified that was from my first EU playthrough. I'm in month 2 of EW. Just got friends in low places quickly after portent.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Ok gently caress this. LW beta 15e is a wash. 3 pods, all aliens in pod panic and shove themselves into a corner never ever to be seen again. I just literally spent 1 hour carefully searching before I just said gently caress it and consoled their deaths. poo poo is unplayable at times.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

monster on a stick posted:

There's basically no point to increasing will above a certain amount for the final mission.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hopeford posted:

I was drunk and don't remember making this. http://gfycat.com/MatureVigorousBanteng

But it's on my desktop, so I clearly made it. I should drink less.

I disagree

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Also, why did Drunk Hopeford put in the effort to give Bradford a trenchcoat and make him point, but then neglect to animate his waist and break his spine? These are the hard-hitting questions that need to be asked.

EDIT: And you textured a scar onto his face, but still didn't care about his poor spine.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Brainamp posted:

There's basically no point to increasing will above a certain amount for the final mission.

Oh well. What's the max effective Will? 150, 120...?

I tried reloading after the sniper shot to get the Xavier achievement. The Uber Ethereal tried mind controlling Annette but she had Neural Feedback, holy poo poo that is nasty.

KamikazePotato posted:

EDIT: And you textured a scar onto his face, but still didn't care about his poor spine.

He's a badass now because he has a scar.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 27, 2015

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I am very happy that president obama made it legal to marry the snake tit lady from xcom 2

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Liquid Penguins posted:

I am very happy that president obama made it legal to marry the snake tit lady from xcom 2

:agreed:

I'm going to mod the game so I'm ADVENT and I can crush XCOM and their anti snake tit agenda.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, I've hit that situation with Newfoundland where I did with the terror missions (Except in Vanilla). Newfoundlands only reward is Panic reduction, but while Panic is high in Canada I have 5 satellites all ready to go up. Without a MEC I really don't want to do it, and my Mec finishes just after the mission expires.

In short, despite being a rather unique mission I'm trying to justify doing it. There's no real reward for a lot of risk.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The reward is a metric ton of experience for your dudes for an incredibly easy and safe mission that is incredibly hard to screw up.

Why would you ever not do New Foundland if you know what is enough to question whether or not to do New Foundland?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why is it that when I hunker down with a soldier they seem guaranteed to die? I'm more than a little salty that a mechtoid just sniped one of my best troops for max damage while she was hunkered down behind heavy cover :saddowns:

I should of moved a blue shirt in front of her as bait.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Onmi posted:

In short, despite being a rather unique mission I'm trying to justify doing it. There's no real reward for a lot of risk.

It's a unique experience?

Easy XP too, though it'd be nicer if you could get corpses from it.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Onmi posted:

So, I've hit that situation with Newfoundland where I did with the terror missions (Except in Vanilla). Newfoundlands only reward is Panic reduction, but while Panic is high in Canada I have 5 satellites all ready to go up. Without a MEC I really don't want to do it, and my Mec finishes just after the mission expires.

See, I don't see the 'a lot of risk' in there anywhere. You can take it slow till you deal with the roamers/thin man, nade the sharks with a scout, level up your engineers and assaults with boxing them on the dock control booth roof, etc.

Internet Kraken posted:

Why is it that when I hunker down with a soldier they seem guaranteed to die? I'm more than a little salty that a mechtoid just sniped one of my best troops for max damage while she was hunkered down behind heavy cover :saddowns:

If this is LW, mechtoid, cyberdisk, thinman aim growth are insane. I installed the hitchance mod and all I'm seeing is 50% chances when I'm behind full cover and no range bonuses. Hunker drops that down to 35%, and I got hit for max damage (minus 2 DR yaaaay) too many times to count.

Okay I'm not sure about mechtoid, muton and cyberdisk aim growth, but the starting values are a wee bit high. Also probably affected by alien research etc.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
For whatever reason the Newfoundland mission never came up for me in my latest run. It's a shame, since I wanted to have my MECs stomp all over some bugs.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Musluk posted:

See, I don't see the 'a lot of risk' in there anywhere. You can take it slow till you deal with the roamers/thin man, nade the sharks with a scout, level up your engineers and assaults with boxing them on the dock control booth roof, etc.

If this is LW, mechtoid, cyberdisk, thinman aim growth are insane. I installed the hitchance mod and all I'm seeing is 50% chances when I'm behind full cover and no range bonuses. Hunker drops that down to 35%, and I got hit for max damage (minus 2 DR yaaaay) too many times to count.

Okay I'm not sure about mechtoid, muton and cyberdisk aim growth, but the starting values are a wee bit high. Also probably affected by alien research etc.

thin men, mutons, and cyberdisks all have a starting aim of 70, mechtoid has a starting aim of 75. Muton elites have a starting aim of 80.

On normal that's reduced by ten. On impossible thin men get a boost of 5 to aim.

At 90, 120, 360, 600, 700, 900, and 1200 research Thin men get +5 to aim (among other bonuses distributed, including HP, crit, will and mobility).

At 330, 420, 510, 600, 700, and 800 research mutons get +2 to aim. At 900 and 1200 they get +5.

Cyberdisks get +4 aim at 360 research, and +5 at 900 and 1200.

Muton elites get +4 at 600, 800, 900, 1200.

Mechtoids get +4 aim at 420, 500, 600, and +8 at 900.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Are you telling me endgame thin men have 105 aim

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Are you telling me endgame thin men have 105 aim

On Classic and Brutal. On impossible they have 110, on normal 95.

Okay man that's a lot of aim.

Mind you I'm not entirely sure how likely it is that you'll actually get to 900 or 1200 research in a regular game.

There's also a pleasant drought between 120 and 360 and 360 and 700.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

So a mechtoid at 900 research ends up at 95 aim. What a magnificent design. /s

e: I'm not bellyaching at the stat growth itself tho.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 27, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Iron Rose posted:

On Classic and Brutal. On impossible they have 110, on normal 95.

Okay man that's a lot of aim.

Mind you I'm not entirely sure how likely it is that you'll actually get to 900 or 1200 research in a regular game.

There's also a pleasant drought between 120 and 360 and 360 and 700.

112 on Classic and Brutal, 117 on Impossible, and 102 on Normal. Plasma Carbines have an aim bonus. :eng101:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Hm I've never tried using a mimic beacon before, I might as well take one to this small UFO to see if they actually do anything."

Oh I see they work just fine :shepface:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I still don't understand how those work. I was on a mission and I knew the last pod was behind a door so I threw a mimic beacon outside, and they never came. What exactly is the function?

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Liquid Penguins posted:

these double standards, man

what if I wanna marry a chryssalid

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

The Iron Rose posted:

thin men, mutons, and cyberdisks all have a starting aim of 70, mechtoid has a starting aim of 75. Muton elites have a starting aim of 80.

On normal that's reduced by ten. On impossible thin men get a boost of 5 to aim.

At 90, 120, 360, 600, 700, 900, and 1200 research Thin men get +5 to aim (among other bonuses distributed, including HP, crit, will and mobility).

At 330, 420, 510, 600, 700, and 800 research mutons get +2 to aim. At 900 and 1200 they get +5.

Cyberdisks get +4 aim at 360 research, and +5 at 900 and 1200.

Muton elites get +4 at 600, 800, 900, 1200.

Mechtoids get +4 aim at 420, 500, 600, and +8 at 900.

I'm about 4 missions deep into my first Impossible EW campaign and this explains so much. gently caress You Thin Men. :argh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You can marry a chrysalid but the relationship will only last about a second.

Vib Rib posted:

I still don't understand how those work. I was on a mission and I knew the last pod was behind a door so I threw a mimic beacon outside, and they never came. What exactly is the function?

I'm not gonna pretend I understand them either. I think their are just some pods that are hard coded to never, ever move from their spot until they catch sight of you or get hit by something. And while that obviously applies to the boss room pods in UFOs, I think some pods on other missions will work the same way if they aren't actively roaming.

What I do know is I threw that beacon out and a turn later I had 2 muton packs, some sectoids, and 3 commanders all trying to kill me. Fortunately the mutons all bunched up for the flamethrower so things worked out fine. I think the mimic beacon fucks with their AI and forces them to make suboptimal movements towards the beacon since several of the mutons walked out of cover just to stare at it. I'm gonna test it more tomorrow but I'm sure someone here already knows if they are worth using or not.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 27, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Pohl posted:

I'm about 4 missions deep into my first Impossible EW campaign and this explains so much. gently caress You Thin Men. :argh:

This is long war only I believe... I dunno vanilla EW values.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I do love it when everything happens at once, Supply Ship arrives just before my Interceptors have rearmed with laser cannons/Firestorm research is completed, Also Gangplank hits a second after that. Thankfully my squads mostly in one piece (except Zhang, and I didn't have the achievment either. He's in the med-bay because he accidentally blew up the squad with a rocket, no deaths just stupid Zhang.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Musluk posted:

these double standards, man

what if I wanna marry a chryssalid

Titsalid?

• Locked thread