Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I think I've complained about it before, but at my last job I was managed from the US west coast, working in the UK and also dealing with an outsourcing company in India. Every single decision took at least a day, and you couldn't get all three groups together on a conference call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Working with the UK from the USA was a pain.

They'd make some change or something that would bork stuff up, we'd call them at 3-4pm their time, they'd get back to us the next day, we'd re-explain the problem and then they'd leave again...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Working with the UK from the USA was a pain.

They'd make some change or something that would bork stuff up, we'd call them at 3-4pm their time, they'd get back to us the next day, we'd re-explain the problem and then they'd leave again...

I enjoyed working with R&D that was in Israel, because I'd report a problem with a client in the evening, and by my morning they'd have a release out that fixed it. However the other problem is they loved pushing day old code to production systems with out any testing or QA. Sure, that TV station can go right to air with some software you wrote just hours ago. What's the worst that can happen?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Working with people half way around the world is interesting.
I'm working a group that is available 24x7 and is in Inidia
Unfortunatley the only people even working with me on their issue or during the day in India. All the second and third shift people are just straight up ignoring me.
So it's back and forth emails since no one during my day is willing to work with me.

Other things that piss me off (not work related):
I'm trying to get the Pebble SDK environment installed. They primarily want it in a Linux environment (yay) but they only cared to develop for Ubuntu/Debian, so I'm stuck on RPM-based having to build stuff to even make it work. :argh:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Pissing me off today... A local fiber ISP.

We had said SP provide services to a new branch store we opened 2 months ago. Today, some of our staff was trimming weeds out by the road in and around the drainage ditch and discovered a 200 ft coil of fiber optic cable laying in the weeds. How did they discover it? Because they hit and cut it! Thus taking out all services to the store.

I guess they thought hiding the cable in the weeds was an acceptable alternative to burying it....

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

go3 posted:

no please don't it is maybe the worst GUI ever imagined

I've used Fortigate 90D units for the last four years and although the GUI is clunky I usually only use that to take a quick look at the status graphs. Otherwise it's Putty all the way.

Flame Strike
Jan 2, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

More things pissing me off today: People incapable of written communication. I send an email asking two simple questions that can be answered with yes/no, and the reply I get is "Please call me."

Remember that a telephone call always causes the recipient greater inconvenience than a written message. - A 1934 guide to phone etiquette.

Yeah, I get this a lot. Actually, the one that makes me even more upset is when people are awful at communicating anything whether it's written or recorded, and refuse to leave a voicemail with any content in it.

"When you get this message, can you please call me?" *calls back* "Oh, uh, sorry, I fixed it. Uh, thanks."

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I have a supervisor who is vehemently bad at english, some kind of reverse grammar nazi. He will shout you down for using words in contexts he believes is wrong. It's irrationally bothering me I know, but it's just... ugh. I need to get off a helldesk as soon as humanly possible.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Special mention goes out to Sonicwall who have had a ticket open for two weeks and are unable to confirm whether they've even gotten as far as reproducing the issue on their own kit yet.

:thumbsup:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Edit: goddammit, note to self, read entire thread before commenting

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
poo poo not pissing me off - getting a new HP Ultrabook to replace the six year old bargin basement Dell desktop.

poo poo pissing me off - Having to click though multiple option screens before i can use Office or other products. They are deploying over a thousand of the lapops so why the hell do I have to spend an hour clicking on stupid options that should be configured on the image.

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?

Thanks Ants posted:

Special mention goes out to Sonicwall who have had a ticket open for two weeks and are unable to confirm whether they've even gotten as far as reproducing the issue on their own kit yet.

:thumbsup:

Throw it away and get a Palo Alto. That is what we had to do after a few months of fail from sonicwall support and being instructed to re-configuring the device from scratch twice. Because yea the second time would be totally different then the first.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Honestly I'd expect this sort of poo poo-tier support from Netgear or Linksys etc. where there isn't a support agreement in place.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't worry though, a change of CRM system will magically ensure people populate fields correctly and keep records up to date :downs:

THE SOFTWARE IS RARELY THE PROBLEM

Oh my god, this could very well be me in a few months time. "Golly gee, moving to a whole new scratch built system sure will solve all of the various departments problems!" just you know, factor in the several months it will take to build, and then painfully migrate every scrap of data from CSV files, and then dig out and rebuild every scrap of automation that I've made.

We didn't even need selling on the power of the cloud, it has an Outlook plug in, woo!

:negative:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Whelp, I guess that answers that on whether or not a genuine APC battery would have fared any better as far as swelling and failure.

It's actually WORSE because it broke the case. At both ends.

No prior warning, UPS just gave up the ghost completely when a power failure happened.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
A vendor hosed up shipping some equipment to some locations and we didn't notice until the person who was onsite to install it couldn't find it. I dug through all the emails from the vendor and noticed that in the email with all the tracking links they had repeated one of the links. We hoped that it meant 2 units went to 1 location, but no luck. The vendor said they are looking into it and hasn't replied to a message since.

Boss wanders by, says I need to double check things more often and that should have been caught sooner. It was very kind of him to blame me for the vendor he makes us use loving up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

go3 posted:

no please don't it is maybe the worst GUI ever imagined

Why are you using a GUI to configure network gear?

CLI Supremacy :black101:

Seriously, the CLI in FortiOS is pretty easy to work with.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

flosofl posted:

Why are you using a GUI to configure network gear?

CLI Supremacy :black101:

Seriously, the CLI in FortiOS is pretty easy to work with.

Counterpoint: I've learnt Cisco IOS using CLI for years and loved it, then I discovered ASDM. All hail the one true network configuration GUI

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ahdinko posted:

Counterpoint: I've learnt Cisco IOS using CLI for years and loved it, then I discovered ASDM. All hail the one true network configuration GUI

Wait, someone advocating adsm over the cli? :getout: you scum

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

Wait, someone advocating adsm over the cli? :getout: you scum

The ADSM is kind of cool in that if you're not sure how to do something, you can make it spit out the CLI commands to set it up and be like "oooooh, cool."

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
It's also nice for managing devices with large rule sets. Doing that via CLI only is kind of a pain in the dick.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
It is great for large rulesets, and the built in packet trace tool is amazing for figuring out "now what line in what ACL/NAT rule/inspection policy/route-map/etc will allow/deny this packet?" rather than reading through a thousand lines of config until you find the one.
That and being able to sit there looking at the real time log viewer, filter it all out real easy and straight away just see an error message like "this packet was blocked due to this acl" or "you got your phase 1 crypto keys wrong you retard"

I know the CLI but I've got comfortable enough with the GUI that I turn off the CLI commands pop up and just let it do its thing.

Its honestly actually a really good tool. I still use CLI for routers and switches, but only because ASDM doesn't support them :(

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 25, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I hate our dogshit 'ERP system'

It started out as a green-screen deal that runs on AS/400. Somewhere in the last 5 years they added a web interface that lets you use MOST of the features through a browser. But for a bunch of tasks (like entering orders or just goofy poo poo like adding inventory) you have to use the green-screen.

So some people who have been here longer than others like to use the green screen, they've memorized all the keystrokes and poo poo so it is faster. Then some people use the web interface because you can see more than 25 lines of poo poo on the screen and you can do amazing things like sort by fields. Anyway, you end up with a half rear end system because you can only do 75% of the poo poo from the web interface. It's like they just said gently caress good enough.

Now for the fun part. Because the web developers on this project were from 1995 or some poo poo, when you enter data into a textbox, it works differently depending on what browser you are in.

IE8 (which is what they recommend, and the only thing they support) as well as Firefox work the 'right way'.

Using Chrome, IE 11, Android browser, or others will end up wiping out whatever is in that text field and you only save one line and it fucks the data up for everyone else. WHERES ALL THE NOTES FOR THIS CUSTOMER? :haw:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bob Morales posted:

I hate our dogshit 'ERP system'

It started out as a green-screen deal that runs on AS/400. Somewhere in the last 5 years they added a web interface that lets you use MOST of the features through a browser. But for a bunch of tasks (like entering orders or just goofy poo poo like adding inventory) you have to use the green-screen.

So some people who have been here longer than others like to use the green screen, they've memorized all the keystrokes and poo poo so it is faster. Then some people use the web interface because you can see more than 25 lines of poo poo on the screen and you can do amazing things like sort by fields. AThis is nyway, you end up with a half rear end system because you can only do 75% of the poo poo from the web interface. It's like they just said gently caress good enough.

Now for the fun part. Because the web developers on this project were from 1995 or some poo poo, when you enter data into a textbox, it works differently depending on what browser you are in.

IE8 (which is what they recommend, and the only thing they support) as well as Firefox work the 'right way'.

Using Chrome, IE 11, Android browser, or others will end up wiping out whatever is in that text field and you only save one line and it fucks the data up for everyone else. WHERES ALL THE NOTES FOR THIS CUSTOMER? :haw:

This is why people buy packaged software.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ynglaur posted:

lol if you think that's a single iota better.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Try enabling enterprise mode in IE11 and see if it works properly there, and if it does you can enable it via GPO on all the relevant computers. I had to do this with some shitheap ancient app or else we'd have been stuck on IE8 forever. :gonk:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

It is - https://www.harrisdata.com

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
We have something called Epicor at my new gig and compared to SAP and SAGE it actually feels like bits of it were written by human beings for other humans to use, rather than having been extruded by some self-aware AI with no concern for trivial matters like "usability".

Which has reminded me of poo poo that used to piss me off: SAP moving the exit button an inch across from the top corner of the window for no reason. Even escaping the program is a pain in the arse. :argh:

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 26, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The worst part is we have all these little lovely php websites written by the financial controller's buddy's web design company that interact with the data.

They don't use the iSeries database, they use their own databases and copy data back and forth. Which is awesome because it's slow as gently caress because of SQL-->DB2 and equally awesome because nothing is ever in sync.

They want these features added to one of the sites and I keep telling them they're going too far down this road, I said we paid a ton of money for stuff that barely works.

"It works!"

"Sure, it 'works'. But it doesn't work well. How many times in the last month have orders not copied over?"

"Uh...two..."

"Okay so 2 out of 28 times it doesn't work. That's 93%. Does your car start 93% of the time? When you send an email does it work only 93% of the time? When you..."

"I get your point. Get the gently caress out of my office, Bob"

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I love being told to sit in this school with one student taking an online test incase some non issue arrises so the administration doesn't freak the gently caress out because the kid turned their screen sideways or they can't figure out how to un mute the computer, and refuse to call me so I can give them simple loving instructions over the phone.

4 hours. And the charger I brought was the wrong HP charger and causes my computer to short and turn off.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I got an e-mail out of the blue from a "recruiter."

Subject: Re: LAN

Body:

quote:

Hi

Happy Friday Please Send Matching resume and contact number if you are Not available Please refer i appreciate

Location Edison, NJ

Duration : 6 Months

This role is more discovery and documentation and NOT hands on.

Then there's a job posting that honestly is something I would probably shoot off a resume for if it weren't A) a six-month contract B) in another state C) packaged in a fake-reply e-mail with an incoherent message.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

jammyozzy posted:

We have something called Epicor at my new gig and compared to SAP and SAGE it actually feels like bits of it were written by human beings for other humans to use, rather than having been extruded by some self-aware AI with no concern for trivial matters like "usability".

Which has reminded me of poo poo that used to piss me off: SAP moving the exit button an inch across from the top corner of the window for no reason. Even escaping the program is a pain in the arse. :agrh:

We have a couple of clients running Epicor's Vista and when it works it works great

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Inspector_666 posted:

I got an e-mail out of the blue from a "recruiter."

Recruiter spam can be good for some laughs. Why yes, I'd love to put my decade of Linux sysadmin experience to use by moving to Boise, ID for a three month contract doing desktop PC help desk work for twenty bucks an hour. :downs:

Just recently I received separate emails from seven different recruiters at the same recruiting firm for the same lovely contract position in the span of twenty minutes. One of them sent me three emails back to back, addressing me as "Dear Jason" (nope), "Dear Denise" (so close, and yet so far...), and "Dear CONFIDENTIAL" ( :cripes: ) respectively.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

dennyk posted:

Recruiter spam can be good for some laughs. Why yes, I'd love to put my decade of Linux sysadmin experience to use by moving to Boise, ID for a three month contract doing desktop PC help desk work for twenty bucks an hour. :downs:

Just recently I received separate emails from seven different recruiters at the same recruiting firm for the same lovely contract position in the span of twenty minutes. One of them sent me three emails back to back, addressing me as "Dear Jason" (nope), "Dear Denise" (so close, and yet so far...), and "Dear CONFIDENTIAL" ( :cripes: ) respectively.

Falls under the same category of the “too smart to be worth trying to scam” 419 emails, I’d think.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Pissing me off lately - any piece of software that doesn't do what you tell it to do. Usually for me this is Google ignoring part of my query - usually the part that matters - in order to return more results. Yesterday it was Excel as I was trying to create a column {..., 99, 00, 01, ...} it decided I clearly did not mean 00, I of course meant 0. Nothing I could do got it to display at 00, until I put '00, at which point it's no longer treated as a number so I can't do math with it.

Today I was trying to download a humblebundle game and Chrome basically told me to gently caress off, it knows better. First it's "blahblah.zip may harm your browsing expierience, so Chrome has blocked it" with the choices "Dismiss" and "Learn More". Then when I went in to recover it (Go to Downloads and click "Recover malicious file", just in case that process wasn't clear and obvious), it literally prompted "Recover malware? This file may be harmful to your computer. [Keep Anyway] [Cancel]"

Come to think of it, it's also Google that doesn't let me email executables. I fear the google self-driving car, now...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

sfwarlock posted:

Pissing me off lately - any piece of software that doesn't do what you tell it to do. Usually for me this is Google ignoring part of my query - usually the part that matters - in order to return more results. Yesterday it was Excel as I was trying to create a column {..., 99, 00, 01, ...} it decided I clearly did not mean 00, I of course meant 0. Nothing I could do got it to display at 00, until I put '00, at which point it's no longer treated as a number so I can't do math with it.
You can tell Excel to use a custom number format in those cells. The format you're looking for is "00", without the quotes.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

anthonypants posted:

You can tell Excel to use a custom number format in those cells. The format you're looking for is "00", without the quotes.

Yes, just like I can tell google to return verbatim search results. "Do what I said" should be the default behavior.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Update on the acquisition. The new CEO tried to say that 1099's are "Just as good as W2 employment because of tax breaks!" I am now in full on :yotj: mode.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Re: Office; I learned about how Excel treats date fields when tinkering with the xlrd Python module.

quote:

Dates in Excel spreadsheets

In reality, there are no such things. What you have are floating point numbers and pious hope. There are several problems with Excel dates:

(1) Dates are not stored as a separate data type; they are stored as floating point numbers and you have to rely on (a) the "number format" applied to them in Excel and/or (b) knowing which cells are supposed to have dates in them. This module helps with (a) by inspecting the format that has been applied to each number cell; if it appears to be a date format, the cell is classified as a date rather than a number. Feedback on this feature, especially from non-English-speaking locales, would be appreciated.

(2) Excel for Windows stores dates by default as the number of days (or fraction thereof) since 1899-12-31T00:00:00. Excel for Macintosh uses a default start date of 1904-01-01T00:00:00. The date system can be changed in Excel on a per-workbook basis (for example: Tools -> Options -> Calculation, tick the "1904 date system" box). This is of course a bad idea if there are already dates in the workbook. There is no good reason to change it even if there are no dates in the workbook. Which date system is in use is recorded in the workbook. A workbook transported from Windows to Macintosh (or vice versa) will work correctly with the host Excel. When using this module's xldate_as_tuple function to convert numbers from a workbook, you must use the datemode attribute of the Book object. If you guess, or make a judgement depending on where you believe the workbook was created, you run the risk of being 1462 days out of kilter.

Reference: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q180162

(3) The Excel implementation of the Windows-default 1900-based date system works on the incorrect premise that 1900 was a leap year. It interprets the number 60 as meaning 1900-02-29, which is not a valid date. Consequently any number less than 61 is ambiguous. Example: is 59 the result of 1900-02-28 entered directly, or is it 1900-03-01 minus 2 days? The OpenOffice.org Calc program "corrects" the Microsoft problem; entering 1900-02-27 causes the number 59 to be stored. Save as an XLS file, then open the file with Excel -- you'll see 1900-02-28 displayed.

Reference: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;214326

(4) The Macintosh-default 1904-based date system counts 1904-01-02 as day 1 and 1904-01-01 as day zero. Thus any number such that (0.0 <= number < 1.0) is ambiguous. Is 0.625 a time of day (15:00:00), independent of the calendar, or should it be interpreted as an instant on a particular day (1904-01-01T15:00:00)? The xldate_* functions in this module take the view that such a number is a calendar-independent time of day (like Python's datetime.time type) for both date systems. This is consistent with more recent Microsoft documentation (for example, the help file for Excel 2002 which says that the first day in the 1904 date system is 1904-01-02).

(5) Usage of the Excel DATE() function may leave strange dates in a spreadsheet. Quoting the help file, in respect of the 1900 date system: "If year is between 0 (zero) and 1899 (inclusive), Excel adds that value to 1900 to calculate the year. For example, DATE(108,1,2) returns January 2, 2008 (1900+108)." This gimmick, semi-defensible only for arguments up to 99 and only in the pre-Y2K-awareness era, means that DATE(1899, 12, 31) is interpreted as 3799-12-31.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

John Dough posted:

Re: Office; I learned about how Excel treats date fields when tinkering with the xlrd Python module.

Hah, that's how I learned about excel dates as well. I was using xlrd to dump data into a MySQL database with dates in it.