Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Really enjoying the uh, anatomical panels where you can see the ship in cross section after the Gauna melt the front end off.

Surely they have no choice but to colonise now. Not only has the interior of the ship been vented to space, but their water supplies were concentrated at the front of the ship too. Maybe they'll rename Lem IX to Planet Sidonia.

As far as outrunning the Gauna goes, I've always assumed they were a sort of galaxy-permeating force. Now I'm wondering if I just made that up, or if there's support for the idea in the text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Really enjoying the uh, anatomical panels where you can see the ship in cross section after the Gauna melt the front end off.

Surely they have no choice but to colonise now. Not only has the interior of the ship been vented to space, but their water supplies were concentrated at the front of the ship too. Maybe they'll rename Lem IX to Planet Sidonia.

As far as outrunning the Gauna goes, I've always assumed they were a sort of galaxy-permeating force. Now I'm wondering if I just made that up, or if there's support for the idea in the text.

It sure seems like the Gauna are covering most of the galaxy, since they keep going in one direction, and keep meeting gauna from every which direction. There's no reason the Gauna can't send ships in every direction of the universe, since they don't age, can colonise everything and adapt very well. They're a lifeform way above humanity.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Intense chapter, love it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Signs point to this being true since they've been running directly away from Earth for hundreds of years and keep running into Gauna, including from directions that aren't directly behind them. I don't believe "the gauna are everywhere" is ever stated, though.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Kanos posted:

Signs point to this being true since they've been running directly away from Earth for hundreds of years and keep running into Gauna, including from directions that aren't directly behind them. I don't believe "the gauna are everywhere" is ever stated, though.

I'm leaning towards them being widespread/plentiful enough that at the very least they have the appearance of being everywhere. If the kabi/higgs stuff draws them then it may be possible that they haven't been so much running into the gauna for centuries as the Gauna have been putting themselves in Sidonia's path.

It may be possible that they are slowly drawing every Gauna in the universe towards them...

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

They're plentiful enough that the only non-gauna alien contact so far was an abandoned anti-gauna weapons cache.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Shades of Robotech/Macross in this chapter. Not that it wasn't already being referenced to a degree.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I actually don't want it to come to a conclusion soon, because if nothing else I want to see how the hell they get out of this situation and continue on.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The one idea I can think of from the top of my head is to find a comet from somewhere in the system and literally just vacumn-weld that fucker onto the front of the Sidonia somehow. Even if they did they are probably going to be fighting off Kanata/Ochiai sometime soon, this is the best chance he'll ever have to just wander into the ship and start firing wildly at everything with a pulse.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Captain Invictus posted:

I actually don't want it to come to a conclusion soon, because if nothing else I want to see how the hell they get out of this situation and continue on.

It can't be that soon, they've only shown 57 of the 100 Sights of Sidonia. :v:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

sinky posted:

It can't be that soon, they've only shown 57 of the 100 Sights of Sidonia. :v:

Welllllllllllll about those exta sights :v:

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
If this really is close to the end of the series, I'm curious how it will end up happening. Blame! had a super abrupt ending, and Biomega just kept expanding until the world basically got reset, and then ended strangely as well.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

While this isn't certainly hard sci-fi by any stretch, I do love the nods to at least some real physics with how they handle Sidonia's maneuvering and weapons and the consequences of using them. One area that I really liked about the anime was the sound design, they nailed the sounds for sequences like this one.

Fun chapter too, very excited to see where this is going.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Remember that crazy dude from the beginning of the manga that says Sidonia has actually never left the solar system? I have been hoping a variation of that would be true since then.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Jeek posted:

Remember that crazy dude from the beginning of the manga that says Sidonia has actually never left the solar system? I have been hoping a variation of that would be true since then.

Well, hobo dude was right about the immortal crew.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Also, I'm very pleased that the anime carried over Yure convincing Tanikaze into a date with her daughter/clone by mentioning she'd implanted a bomb in his neck.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Getting whiplash from going from scenes where Yure admitted to blowing up a bomb that killed people to using the threat of a bomb for hijinks with Tanikaze. This mood changing is a problem with Jojo as well. But that's the nature of going from a comic to a cartoon I suppose.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
BLAME!.webm

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

I wish this was a full show. Want to see 25 eps of Killy blowing holes in poo poo and having zero personality.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Everything Burrito posted:

I wish this was a full show. Want to see 25 eps of Killy blowing holes in poo poo and having zero personality.

Out of curiosity, is that the scene where they're kicking back watching BiOmega in the manga?

I'd actually be down for a full series done in CGI too. They have done a fantastic job of making everything look old and weathered in just that short clip. Plus hey, they have a full Killy model to work with :v:.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

It would be pretty cheap to make, no need for voice actors, scripts, or set designers: just Killy wandering through an endless procedural generated megastructure firing the GBE at random intervals.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, is that the scene where they're kicking back watching BiOmega in the manga?

Confession: I still haven't read the Sidonia manga (because I want to buy it instead of reading online :shepspends: )

I'm just lurking this thread for BLAME derails.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Confession: I still haven't read the Sidonia manga (because I want to buy it instead of reading online :shepspends: )

I'm just lurking this thread for BLAME derails.

The manga's fairly cheap because they're only thin volumes. Go buy some volumes!

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Was that Tsumugi watching at the end?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Got another link to that clip? Isn't supported for me. :(

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Pierson posted:

Got another link to that clip? Isn't supported for me. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js0josF4_nA

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blocked already. :commissar:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Blocked already. :commissar:

Incredible, the last time I uploaded something to Youtube it took them nearly an hour to block it.

Here: just right click and save as then open the .webm in Irfanview or Media Player Classic or literally any modern media application.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

What I really want out of this is the inevitable "Hey, do you have any food?" montage.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
watched the animu, started the mango last night.

I'm really digging this series. haven't been this into scifi in ages.

Airflamer
Jan 21, 2012

wow that story was super amazingly awesome, im not even joking right now

Grimey Drawer
Chapter 75

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nehezir posted:

watched the animu, started the mango last night.

I'm really digging this series. haven't been this into scifi in ages.

Have you read Blame! or BiOmega? They're also by Tsutomu Nihei and really good.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you read Blame! or BiOmega? They're also by Tsutomu Nihei and really good.

not yet. would you recommend one over the other to read first?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nehezir posted:

not yet. would you recommend one over the other to read first?

Blame! is the earlier work, so probably that. It's also one of my favourites :allears:.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm kind of expecting/hoping for a reveal at some point about exactly why the gauna seem to advance their strategies/abilities/numbers along with the humans. There are certain things the gauna have done that, if used before, would have definitely spelled the end of Sidonia. This "viscous placenta" thing that has showed up in recent chapters would have been basically invincible prior to the creation of the kabi guns, and obviously most of the encounters after the early portion of the comic have involved a number of gauna that would have spelled certain doom earlier. It definitely seems like the humans always just barely being able to surpass the gauna seems like more than a coincidence. My guess is that 1. the gauna don't realize that they're being aggressive and harmful and 2. are matching the humans' strength in the same way you would change the strength of your handshake depending upon the other person's grip.

Normally the seemingly ridiculous power creep in Knights of Sidonia would bother me, but there at least seem to be reasons for it. In particular:
- Ochiai using the placenta to produce a seemingly unlimited amount of kabi, which also opened up the option of using kabi with guns (since before there wasn't enough of it to use with bullets). This is almost certainly the biggest reason they go from a single gauna being a huge emergency to individual units being able to gun them down.
- During the long period of peace there wasn't as much pressure to innovate, and encounters against many gauna and the gauna mass-ships hadn't yet occurred so they didn't have any reason to create a countermeasure against such a situation.
- Ochiai coming back also allowed for the creation of Tsumui, which helped a lot

Basically, they have Ochiai to thank more than anyone else, Tanikaze included, despite his recent actions.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Blame! is the earlier work, so probably that. It's also one of my favourites :allears:.

good enough reason for me. I'll start reading it tomorrow.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

nehezir posted:

good enough reason for me. I'll start reading it tomorrow.

Expect a.... unique experience. Some chapters barely contain words. It's part of the charm though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm in the middle of reading Biomega and I actually find it harder to follow because there's more of a conventional story which means at those times when you can't tell what the gently caress is going on it's a lot more disruptive, in Blame! you spend like 50% of the time just going "oh these are some nice cyberpocalypse hellscapes and there's a sweet fistfight and some explosions"

Dorohedoro recently restarted after the publication it was in stopped printing and it's very Tsutomu Nihei-esque but slightly more coherent and the characters are way more visually distinct which helps following chaotic fights.

FattyPie
Jun 1, 2005

But still delicious!!!!!
Season 2 is now up on Netflix Na.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Dorohedoro recently restarted after the publication it was in stopped printing and it's very Tsutomu Nihei-esque but slightly more coherent and the characters are way more visually distinct which helps following chaotic fights.

Dorohedoro is written by one of this authors former assistants and I think it shows.

• Locked thread