Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Japan's next Splatfest has been revealed: udon vs. soba, or more specifically, Akai Kitsune (udon) vs. Midori no Tanuki (soba). Product placement! https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/614617158811684864

Yeah but it's like, not as insidious product placement because 1) it's not like we'll ever see it and 2) it's not overused like the usual hawking of chips or soda.

Like how the stuff in Peace Walker felt more weirdly out of place but some of the stuff in Guns of the Patriots was charming in how it sold out. You could wear a giant energy drink helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
There's a tipping point where product placement becomes so gratuitous and stupid that it brings me back on board. Having brands sponsor the Splatfests crosses this threshold.

Squarespace vs. Nature Box, let's do this!

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Tengames posted:

dynamo roller with a bubbler could be deadly in the right hands.

....gently caress, I completely forgot about the dynamo. Yeahhhh. That'd be so OP.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Eh, There was a warning about there being product placement so this isn't a big deal.

That said, given the nature of this, if there isn't splatfests involving the greatest commercial fights of our time up to and including Coke Vs Pepsi then I will be disappointed.

Heck, they could make the to you spray Red or Blue ink for that.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Skippy vs. JIF or bust

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ConanThe3rd posted:

Eh, There was a warning about there being product placement so this isn't a big deal.

That said, given the nature of this, if there isn't splatfests involving the greatest commercial fights of our time up to and including Coke Vs Pepsi then I will be disappointed.

Heck, they could make the to you spray Red or Blue ink for that.

Yeah, it's not actively interfering with anything in normal gameplay (DRINK REDBULL FOR A FREE DAILY QUEST AND XP BONUS :supaburn:) and it's done in a way that fits the game's special event.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Squid vs Kid

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok, so we're about a week away now, right? What time did the voting/shirts become available previously?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The custom dual squelcher is really good, wow.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Is it just me, or is A- like...really hard? I win and lose in what seems like equal measure, and I'm either on the top or on the bottom, it's a total crapshoot. I can't even tell if it's because my playing is bad or if there's this huge skill disparity. After like...two days I'm back where I started, 30 points in A-.

Also, you'd think that playing a lot of ranked would make you good once you go back to the comparatively chill Turf Wars, but I find that I actually...suck at Turf Wars now. It's like my brain turns itself off once I go there because I make tons of elementary mistakes, like walking right into rollers, lingering into chargers' line of sights, not squidding out of there the moment a bomb lands next to me, and being incredibly reckless, like 'charging blindly into places and promptly getting splatted by the enemy team'. Maybe it's because I don't care about the outcome of the match, but...drat, my playing becomes so bad.

Akarshi fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 27, 2015

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Akarshi posted:

Is it just me, or is A- like...really hard? I win and lose in what seems like equal measure, and I'm either on the top or on the bottom, it's a total crapshoot. I can't even tell if it's because my playing is bad or if there's this huge skill disparity. After like...two days I'm back where I started, 30 points in A-.

Also, you'd think that playing a lot of ranked would make you good once you go back to the comparatively chill Turf Wars, but I find that I actually...suck at Turf Wars now. It's like my brain turns itself off once I go there because I make tons of elementary mistakes, like walking right into rollers, lingering into chargers' line of sights, not squidding out of there the moment a bomb lands next to me, and being incredibly reckless. Maybe it's because I don't care about the outcome of the match, but...drat, my playing becomes so bad.

I went through what you described to a T. Someone mentioned before that it's pretty much 50/50 whether or not you win or lose. Don't feel too bad. :negative:

As for Turf Wars, just remember it should be less stressful than Splat Zones. Stick to what you feel comfortable with. I've been switching it up using the Custom Blaster more recently for Ranked while sticking with the Zapper for Turf Wars. Find your play style and alter it in respect to the game mode.

edit: One more thing I forgot: for Turf Wars, try playing with friends. That seemed to make it suck less if you're feeling frustrated.

maybeflan fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 27, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I think it's because sometimes you're grouped with a team with great execution and sometimes you're grouped with great solo players, and there's really no coordination here up top. So the teams that win are the teams that figure out their roles quickest.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Or the team with me on it

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Burgers vs Hotdogs

mastajake posted:

Cool Ranch Doritos Locos Tacos vs Nacho Cheesier Doritos Locos Tacos.

Or this. This is good, too.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i want to be part of team cena

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
AMADOU!!!

Also, I will post this whenever valid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRRsXxE1KVY

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Omg I just got my Splatfest tee

I looked at my iTunes and a lot of my top played songs are Rock so I went with Rock though I don't really mind any genre??? :)

Also I don't know how you guys play ranked, I somehow got myself to C and my hands are still trembling lol

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Actually, no lie, I knida want Cola Vs Pepsi to happen and for Pepsiman to just show with his theme blaring if you went with Team Pepsi.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

demota posted:

I made this dumb thing with what little I remember of Photoshop.

This is good

This should be the next splatfest, get lots of media attention

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Japan's next Splatfest has been revealed: udon vs. soba, or more specifically, Akai Kitsune (udon) vs. Midori no Tanuki (soba). Product placement! https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/614617158811684864

Ah so that's what they meant by product placement eh?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Are you stalking me :ohdear:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope the thread is as passionate about the product placement splatfests as they are with the cat vs dog one

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I hope the thread is as passionate about the product placement splatfests as they are with the cat vs dog one

Coke v Pepsi
McDonalds v Burger King
KFC v Nandos

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

Actually, no lie, I knida want Cola Vs Pepsi to happen and for Pepsiman to just show with his theme blaring if you went with Team Pepsi.

Pepsi-squid :colbert:

EDIT: Also I too don't see a real problem with product placement for votes here, then again I'm one of those weird people who think real, unobtrusive ads in games are fine as long as they make some sort of sense (like Rainbow Six Vegas 2 having real ads on signs in the game locations) and aren't stopping gameplay to try to sell you something directly like it's a commercial.

Also, if there's a Splatfest around Thanksgiving the voting choices should be Stuffing vs. Potatoes :v:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 27, 2015

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

wat

Also Callie confirmed for best squid sister yet again.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I'm seeing all the complaints about the Carbon Roller and I'm thinking people are treating it like the Inkbrush: not giving it enough credit and calling it poo poo because it can't roll over people in one hit. God forbid you actually have to think when using a Roller jesus loving christ

I actually rather like the Carbon Roller. It's got faster roll speed than your run speed, and its flick attack is wicked fast and can oneshot, and if someone happens survive the flick you can finish them off by rolling over them anyway. It doesn't have the raw bullshit power of the Dynamo Roller, but it can still oneshot or twoshot reliably and quickly. You've also got Burst Bombs for people you can't reach and the Inkzooka for cutting loose, so I think this is actually a pretty good weapon set.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Szmitten posted:

Coke v Pepsi
McDonalds v Burger King
KFC v Nandos

Since one company would always lose in those, I suspect we won't be seeing them go head to head. At least that ramen thing looks like both are from same maker, so we'll probably see stuff like Classic Cola vs Cola Zero and Big Mac vs Quarter Pounder.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Bown posted:

Ok, so we're about a week away now, right? What time did the voting/shirts become available previously?

I feel like NA should be getting voting at any time now; I have already seen a gray Splatfest tee on someone in my plaza, which means they're from a different region (you can only see the voting tees on people from your own region). But no voting booth for NA yet! Maybe it'll show up with the next map rotation in half an hour?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

SL the Pyro posted:

I'm seeing all the complaints about the Carbon Roller and I'm thinking people are treating it like the Inkbrush: not giving it enough credit and calling it poo poo because it can't roll over people in one hit. God forbid you actually have to think when using a Roller jesus loving christ

I actually rather like the Carbon Roller. It's got faster roll speed than your run speed, and its flick attack is wicked fast and can oneshot, and if someone happens survive the flick you can finish them off by rolling over them anyway. It doesn't have the raw bullshit power of the Dynamo Roller, but it can still oneshot or twoshot reliably and quickly. You've also got Burst Bombs for people you can't reach and the Inkzooka for cutting loose, so I think this is actually a pretty good weapon set.

Too bad the flick range is shorter then the regular Roller, the speed is not really noticeable and Brust Bomb get caught on walls easily. Makes getting shut down as a roller even easier.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What companies is Nintendo cool with enough to put them in one of their games? I kinda don't even think McD is in the line enough to give a poo poo about Splatoon.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They did the Mario Kart thing with Mercedes and Mario Golf had Callaway stuff

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Regular vs diet.
Pop vs soda.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

noirstronaut posted:

What companies is Nintendo cool with enough to put them in one of their games? I kinda don't even think McD is in the line enough to give a poo poo about Splatoon.

McDonalds has done a bunch of Nintendo promotions for Happy Meal toys over the years, so I wouldn't put it past them.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=0m16s&v=XMt55fi7ZQQ
Replace the chair with a Cat vs Dog Splatfest sign and you have Splatoon for the next week

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh hey that pipe shirt is in the store. The KOG one!

Gonna get it to 3 slots cause why not.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

noirstronaut posted:

Looking at the Treasure Hoard in Pikmin 2, there's a lot of possibilities.

What could go wrong with Inklings eating a shitload of Haribo candy?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Where do you think all the ink they clean up after turf wars goes? The jelly for gummy candy has to come from somewhere

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh hey that pipe shirt is in the store. The KOG one!

Gonna get it to 3 slots cause why not.

can you post a picture of it? last i looked the wiki didn't have them

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm sure it'd be fine, no way it could backfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTg6e0SOL4g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I am the dissenting opinion, I hate being advertised to in any form and would hate a sponsored Splatfest.

Also I think the carbon roller is better in turf war than splat zones. Mobility is more important in turf war than splat zones, where kill power is a factor.

• Locked thread