Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

The Droid posted:

People are dumb? Totalbiscuit ran around for some time trying to make the matter actually about ethics in games journalism, obviously that didn't pan out too well but at least he managed to talk some people out of getting involved in this shitstorm in the process.

So do you agree with me that the concept known colloquially as Gamergate has a reason to exist, if only in the minds of those who believe to support it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Profondo Rosso posted:

it's obviously not that that makes them idiots, its the willingness to rationalize and defend anything that anyone on their "team" says and does no matter how inaccurate, stupid or morally reprehensible it is that makes them idiots.

both gg and a-gg do this, and thus both are full of dumbshits

Sharkie posted:

Who do you define as anti-ggs?

Like you just said gg is full of dumb shits doesn't that make you an anti-gg?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Al Cowens posted:

If only this same standard of proof were held toward actual racial minority game developers and not trust fund cholas.

Unfortunately for you, trans-black doesn't count as an actual minority.

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower

circ dick soleil posted:

I wouldn't call what Gamergate has done "criticism".

And I wouldn't say that rebutting a claim made by someone constitutes Harassment. At least not in the classical sense. Maybe simply making someone uncomfortable is now Harassment.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

circ dick soleil posted:

So do you agree with me that the concept known colloquially as Gamergate has a reason to exist, if only in the minds of those who believe to support it?

What?

A concept exists because people have reason to believe in it? Yes? What is the the question here?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
'I guess at this point its pretty obvious I'm a massive misogynist, but if I talk about how much I love black people I think that balances things out'.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Popular Thug Drink posted:

but it turns out she didn't like charities as much as she should have, so, uh, now we defend those charities as good noble and true people

To be fair, there's a difference between what you're portraying and what was said. TFYC claim she participated in doxx'ng them, called them misogynists trying to steal money from women developers and saying people shouldn't support their project if they cared about women in video game development sans any evidence.

None of which is really acceptable behavior in most social circles.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

turnways posted:

The initial thing that started it all though was that she was extremely lovely to a person, and mysteriously all discussion about how said person was being lovely was being deleted. She didn't start out as some random boogeyman they eventually dug up enough dirt on to go after; the whole zoepost was about how abusive of a person she was. A minority of assholes took that as justification for poo poo they were going to do anyway (only now they had a target), some other people jumped to conclusions and created this whole conspiracy, but the very initial factor was always that she was not a good person.

Edit: Also as a point of clarification it wasn't that she didn't like charities, it was that she made something like 50-60 tweets to the effect of how disgusting and transphobic and terrible this particular charity was because they had the standard "women's only contest" policy of not allowing any women who hadn't been female for at least three or maybe six months in order to prevent guys from just jumping in on the all-women contest, all the while wanting to start up her own contest and directing everyone there instead. It was incredibly shady.

most people aren't good people. like there's this weird compulsion now to air all of your awful opinions on the internet which is both funny and sad, but justifying target harassment of a person based on "they're not a good person" is just a series of equally bad people reaching for validation of their actions, so long as the original target isn't like a kiddy diddler or something

like if we're going to start whacking on other humans for being bad people it's going to end with a handful of humans left standing and breathing

Unfunny Poster posted:

To be fair, there's a difference between what you're portraying and what was said. TFYC claim she participated in doxx'ng them, called them misogynists trying to steal money from women developers and saying people shouldn't support their project if they cared about women in video game development sans any evidence.

None of which is really acceptable behavior in most social circles.

i really don't care and to be honest most of this post my eyes just slid over like water on a waxed windshield, because i don't trust any party to validate any claim pertinent to malfeasance over internet posts and attitudes. but if the whole of gamergate boils down to one woman saying unkind things or doing questionable things re: some female game dev charity that is less than compelling and way below my give-a-poo poo threshold, and i can actually describe the parties involved which places me in a select group of humanity

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 27, 2015

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

goku im piss posted:

And I wouldn't say that rebutting a claim made by someone constitutes Harassment. At least not in the classical sense. Maybe simply making someone uncomfortable is now Harassment.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

goku im piss posted:

I'm talking about death threats, I don't see how they suddenly become perfectly valid criticism or "rebutting a claim".

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

circ dick soleil posted:

I'm talking about death threats, I don't see how they suddenly become perfectly valid criticism or "rebutting a claim".

Nobody is saying they are, people are saying perfectly valid criticisms are being called harassment, unrelated to the death threats.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

if this tweet is harassment, how many orders of magnitude above a tweet is a cabal of feminists actively plotting your demise?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
There is no equivalency here, "anti-GG" is just normal people who find sweating, death-threatening men hunched over a laptop emitting squeals to be a tawdry phenomenon. It's not just feminists who should spend time pointing out how gross and stunted they are, it's everyone. And when the human voles known as "gamergaters" grunt and dig for twitter nuggets they imagine to bolster their position, it doesn't satisfy anyone who doesn't give off their acrid musk.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Sharkie posted:

Like you just said gg is full of dumb shits doesn't that make you an anti-gg?

"anti gamergate" as in generally thinking gamergate is a poo poo thing for poo poo people is quite different from forming an entire identity over the thought that gamergate is dumb. its not a difficult concept

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i really don't care and to be honest most of this post my eyes just slid over like water on a waxed windshield, because i don't trust any party to validate any claim pertinent to malfeasance over internet posts and attitudes. but if the whole of gamergate boils down to one woman saying unkind things or doing questionable things re: some female game dev charity that is less than compelling and way below my give-a-poo poo threshold

Fair enough. I think in the end, Zoe and the folks running the charity came to some sort of understanding and both apologized for their stupid behavior on the internet.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Profondo Rosso posted:

"anti gamergate" as in generally thinking gamergate is a poo poo thing for poo poo people is quite different from forming an entire identity over the thought that gamergate is dumb. its not a difficult concept

I don't think anybody is doing that though

but if they did that would be fine, those dudes are gross

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

if this tweet is harassment, how many orders of magnitude above a tweet is a cabal of feminists actively plotting your demise?
All of them. All of the orders.

Profondo Rosso posted:

Hello Ghazi.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

SedanChair posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamerGhazi/

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

The Droid posted:

What?

A concept exists because people have reason to believe in it? Yes? What is the the question here?

Why did Gamergate immediately and collectively target a game developer rather than corrupt gaming journalists? I thought the story was that these were people who were so fed up with the state of gaming journalism that they were champing at the bit for any evidence of corruption. So why, when proof of the corruption finally presented itself, did they largely ignore the journalists responsible?

Or are we not allowed to speak of the spectral entity known as Gamergate in such terms, as it is but the wind whispering through the trees?

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower

Cardboard Box A posted:

Hulk Hogan is that you?

Seriously, it's unquestionable that Gawker higher ups care for Zoe as little as they care for anyone,. It is also more than charitable to say that "games journalists" were willfully ignorant that mentioning a game as a favor to a friend is at least a little shady.

Where I believe I am disagreeing with you is the idea that say Grayson or anyone at Kotaku could have done anything to "nip it in the bud" - including mentioning that he knew Zoe in the first place.

*insert Hulk Hogan Playing Guitar Gif here*

Gawker also had the power to attempt in letting it die by simply ignoring it and giving as little coverage as possible, but obviously that's not how they do business.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

most people aren't good people. like there's this weird compulsion now to air all of your awful opinions on the internet which is both funny and sad, but justifying target harassment of a person based on "they're not a good person" is just a series of equally bad people reaching for validation of their actions, so long as the original target isn't like a kiddy diddler or something

like if we're going to start whacking on other humans for being bad people it's going to end with a handful of humans left standing and breathing

"A harassment campaign" of trying to find out the whos and whys this terrible person is being empowered. Oh she's being puffed up by game journalist we always hated that pushed BS social issues? And she hosed them? (lol)

I hope you realize that's what these people who call it a harassment campaign are talking about. digging up info and sometimes laughing over it.

afeelgoodpoop fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 27, 2015

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Profondo Rosso posted:

What's the difference? And really,

SedanChair posted:

but if they did that would be fine, those dudes are gross

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

afeelgoodpoop posted:

"A harassment campaign" of trying to find out the whos and whys this terrible person is being empowered. Oh she's being puffed up by game journalist we always hated that pushed BS social issues? And she hosed them? (lol)

You're making it sound an awful lot like Helldump.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

goku im piss posted:

*insert Hulk Hogan Playing Guitar Gif here*

Gawker also had the power to attempt in letting it die by simply ignoring it and giving as little coverage as possible, but obviously that's not how they do business.

Yeah things wouldn't have taken off it weren't for the double whammy of mass silencing of all discussion of the issue on various forums and gawker affiliates/games journos writing articles that attacked 'gamers' that were released at the same time and all used similar rhetoric/phrasing.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

afeelgoodpoop posted:

What are the bs social issues?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
I think that everyone would live happier lives if Gamergate never existed. Does this make me anti-Gamergate?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Sharkie posted:

What's the difference? And really,
Analogy

straight edge : teetotaling non-smokers

atheist : reddit's /r/atheism

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Sharkie posted:

I'd also like to know what he meant by that.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sharkie posted:

Well clearly its about the overly enthusiastic focus on having people of color be in more lead roles, as well as less sexually objectified women in video games and other such "bullshit sjw topics" :colbert:

Which I don't think any sane person would actually be against in any sensible capacity.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Sharkie posted:

What's the difference?

are you being obtuse on purpose? i can't fathom how you do not see the difference

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

afeelgoodpoop posted:

I hope you realize that's what these people who call it a harassment campaign are talking about. digging up info and sometimes laughing over it.

is it just lolcows, or is it doxxing? can you really distinguish?

i'm reminded of chris chan, who was a harmless and obscure obnoxious person before other equally weird but anonymous people relentlessly documented his life in fine detail for the purposes of 'mocking' him justified by the fact that he wasn't really disabled, he was just a lazy mooch.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

its kinda like how playing clash of clans on my phone isn't the same thing as raiding 5 nights a week in some mmo

Eustachy
May 7, 2013
I'm transgender

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

circ dick soleil posted:

I'd also like to know what he meant by that.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/25/5544622/gdc-panel-subversively-queer-games
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020372/How-to-Subversively-Queer-Your
https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/573637412569546753
http://www.mattiebrice.com/destroy-all-men

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Unfunny Poster posted:

Well clearly its about the overly enthusiastic focus on having people of color be in more lead roles, as well as less sexually objectified women in video games and other such "bullshit sjw topics" :colbert:

Which I don't think any sane person would actually be against in any sensible capacity.

I'm of the mind that there are a lot of goons who are too timid to come out and say that this is what they're standing up against, and they'd rather let the charismatic young men over at 4chan speak for them.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

so it became a harassment campaign... because they harassed someone?

Like I said I wasn't around for the beginning when this whole thing broke out, so I don't know what happened. I know that gamergate was called a harassment campaign by the gaming press, but part of the controversy is that gaming press is unethical and trying to push a dishonest narrative so who knows. I wouldn't be surprised Zoe Quinn was getting harassed online by immature gamers and 4chan-types early on when the story first broke, it seems likely based on my preconceived prejudices. But a study done last spring by Women Action Media shows that only 12% of harassers on the autoblocker list on twitter were #gamergate related.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/05/gamergate-isnt-a-harassment-campaign-states-wam-report/

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Eustachy posted:

I'm transgender

Al Cowens is trans-black, so you're in good company.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gum posted:

can someone remind me which of you still openly support gamergate and which switched to the 'both sides are as bad as each other' thing when people started making fun of them?
I don't think there was anyone left in hellthread that openly supported gamergate. And I don't think it's surprising at all that goons pounced on the 'both sides are as bad as each other' given the visible people who hate gamergate are also redditors and twitterers and even (4)channers and goons love to hate them too.

goku im piss posted:

Quinn was the new hotness. She also was a Lolcow from the Channers perspective, so its not surprising they focused on her.
Yes, this is an important point. Zoe and all the "literally who" targets were treated basically as "lolcows" to be "milked" by channers - basically targets who could be harassed and who would generate entertainment as a result.

circ dick soleil posted:

If Gamergate's main focus is to harass developers, why do people see it as something worth supporting?
Look, even you know the main focus wasn't to "harass developers" in general. One of the main persons active in the early Quinnspiracy and 4chan raid IRC channel was an indie developer who bought into the theories and became convinced he was horribly wrong by the IGDA.

As for the people who think it's worth supporting, well remember, there are and were plenty of useful idiots who bought into the conspiracy theories, who were gullible and conspiracy-minded and were fed well by the chans...

Al Cowens posted:

Is there any possible way, in this universe, to have an objection or disagreement with Anita, Wu, Quinn, McIntosh, or the other big names without being tarred and feathered as a white dudebro misogy-rapist?
Yes?

I know you peaced out but even in the hellthread there was that week long "I'm a feminist and Anita SCARES me" post and while it boiled down to her being triggered by the mere mention of "fighting gently caress toy" and convinced that Anita was going to demean women with big breasts... but no one tarred and feathered her as a white dudebro misogyny rapist.

Hell I paste posted that giant "Anita is a privileged white feminist" rant in the critics thread, no one cared.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 27, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gianthogweed posted:

Like I said I wasn't around for the beginning when this whole thing broke out, so I don't know what happened. I know that gamergate was called a harassment campaign by the gaming press, but part of the controversy is that gaming press is unethical and trying to push a dishonest narrative so who knows. I wouldn't be surprised Zoe Quinn was probably getting harassed online by immature gamers and 4chan-types early on when the story first broke, it seems likely based on my preconceived prejudices. But a study done last spring by Women Action Media shows that only 12% of harassers on the autoblocker list on twitter were #gamergate related.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/05/gamergate-isnt-a-harassment-campaign-states-wam-report/

it was also the national press who called gamergate a harassment campaing. twenty years from now the legacy of gamergate will be "white male internet nerds told women to kill themselves"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Now you're really making it sound like Helldump. How many of these people have you "dug up info" on?

• Locked thread