Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Gianthogweed posted:

It's a bit more complicated than that. I only found out about all of this this passed winter so I missed it when it was actually going on, but it turns out thezoepost started right here on this very forum. Both Zoe Quinn and Eron Gjoni were goons. Eron Gjoni was a feminist, believe it or not, and wrote the post with the encouragement of his friend Rachel M. (also a feminist). In feminist and tumblr circles you're encouraged to "call out" people who have been abusive towards you publicly so that others will avoid the abuser. The problem was that, in this case, the abuser was a woman (Zoe Quinn), and the victim was man (Eron Gjoni), so things went rather differently than planned ...

Here's the story of how the theZoePost was written:
https://medium.com/@srachel_m/gamergate-launched-in-my-apartment-and-internet-im-sorry-not-that-sorry-13e5650fd172

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=211605
Thread deletion, and Eron Gjoni's leper's colony banning.

And here's the actual zoepost
https://thezoepost.wordpress.com/

Zoe Quinn's harassment probably would not have happened had it not been for the Streisand effect. Because so many forums and websites tried to censor the discussion of the sex scandal it blew up. Not only was the Kotaku corruption uncovered and blown out of proportion, but she got doxxed and they found out about her attempts to sabotage the Fine Young Capitalists "Women Making Video Games For Charity" campaign. She became the target of 4chan's ugliest elements. This is why gamergate became known as a harassment campaign.

Everyone in this thread should read everything linked in this post before they post anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yes, this is an important point. Zoe and all the "literally who" targets were treated basically as "lolcows" to be "milked" by channers - basically targets who could be harassed and who would generate entertainment as a result.

Is the "lolcows" thing something you made up, or is this a term that actually gets used on the internet?

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Sharkie posted:

What are the bs social issues?

Do you follow videogame journalism at all? for the past 5 years there have been these coordinated pushes on social media combined with journalist articles calling out game developers over social issues stuff. It's mostly feminist issues, since alot of the meat and ideas of what to push come from feminist games academics, but their was racial stuff too. the last ones I remember before gamergate started was the push for female playable characters in assassins creed and another complaining about the lack of black people in kingdom come deliverance. The developer of that game become a pretty big gamergate supporter and I think I know why.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

circ dick soleil posted:

I'm of the mind that there are a lot of goons who are too timid to come out and say that this is what they're standing up against, and they'd rather let the charismatic young men over at 4chan speak for them.

Probably.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Do you follow videogame journalism at all? for the past 5 years there have been these coordinated pushes on social media combined with journalist articles calling out game developers over social issues stuff. It's mostly feminist issues, since alot of the meat and ideas of what to push come from feminist games academics, but their was racial stuff too. the last ones I remember before gamergate started was the push for female playable characters in assassins creed and another complaining about the lack of black people in kingdom come deliverance. The developer of that game become a pretty big gamergate supporter and I think I know why.

i thought videogame journalism was bad

i am a veteran of many righteous doxxings, especially when there are femenazis in the mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7EQlfprV9E&t=122s

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

What's your problem with that first link where they say it would be cool to make games with gay characters?

Also the person I asked can answer for themselves I'm sure.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Those are all really important issues though. Only racists and sexists would have a problem with covering them.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

afeelgoodpoop posted:

So why are these coordinated pushes a significant threat to something or whatever? I can't think of any real effect they might have had.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Let's not forget the one assassin's creed which had a black, mixed race, female slave liberating protagonist and was actually pretty well received, but not by the identity politicians because they don't actually play games.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

afeelgoodpoop posted:

What's wrong with wanting female and black videogame characters?

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

is it just lolcows, or is it doxxing? can you really distinguish?

i'm reminded of chris chan, who was a harmless and obscure obnoxious person before other equally weird but anonymous people relentlessly documented his life in fine detail for the purposes of 'mocking' him justified by the fact that he wasn't really disabled, he was just a lazy mooch.
I am legit disgusted with the goings on of chris chan, but personally if an anonymous collective digs stuff up about you as part of an investigation with a goal in mind, aka connect journalists and friends to collusive corrupt business practices, I feel it is quite forgivable.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

it was also the national press who called gamergate a harassment campaing. twenty years from now the legacy of gamergate will be "white male internet nerds told women to kill themselves"

I really want to see some future (far future with all the participants dead) historian try to study and understand the gamergate phenomenon, and try to understand and place its importance in wider 21st century society. I want to read their resulting book, this poo poo will be so baffling as to be comical when some decades go by.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Al Cowens posted:

Let's not forget the one assassin's creed which had a black, mixed race, female slave liberating protagonist and was actually pretty well received, but not by the identity politicians because they don't actually play games.

Why not more? Throwing out an example is called tokenism. Everyone needs to keep complaining until real equal representation in media is achieved.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Sharkie posted:

What's your problem with that first link where they say it would be cool to make games with gay characters?

Also the person I asked can answer for themselves I'm sure.
Racial diversity and LGBT themes in video games were hardly unprecedented long before a bunch of (predominantly) white people decided to lecture this industry on how to be diverse correctly. gently caress tokenism.

SedanChair posted:

Why not more? Throwing out an example is called tokenism. Everyone needs to keep complaining until real equal representation in media is achieved.
You don't know what that word means.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

circ dick soleil posted:

Is the "lolcows" thing something you made up, or is this a term that actually gets used on the internet?

Hmm, I wonder if this particular term has been used on the internet before?

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Those are all really important issues though. Only racists and sexists would have a problem with covering them.

It is a coordinated effort by feminist and a like minded minority group pushing for it. the vast majority of gamers dont want tokenism, and the tricks that social media sjws use to make them appear bigger than they are deserves to be called out.

But yes I'd like more variety in gaming aswell.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

afeelgoodpoop posted:

I am legit disgusted with the goings on of chris chan, but personally if an anonymous collective digs stuff up about you as part of an investigation with a goal in mind, aka connect journalists and friends to collusive corrupt business practices, I feel it is quite forgivable.

ok maybe but what kind of front page weeklong story is going to rest on the revelation that an indie games sadbrain might have been mean to her boyfriend and slept with a guy

khwarezm posted:

I really want to see some future (far future with all the participants dead) historian try to study and understand the gamergate phenomenon, and try to understand and place its importance in wider 21st century society. I want to read their resulting book, this poo poo will be so baffling as to be comical when some decades go by.

i really sincerely hope that history and historigraphy fragments into an incoherent psychedelic mess that is impossible for future generations to parse

the nonsense era

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

afeelgoodpoop posted:

It is a coordinated effort by feminist and a like minded minority group pushing for it. the vast majority of gamers dont want tokenism, and the tricks that social media sjws use to make them appear bigger than they are deserves to be called out.

who are the vast majority of gamers. what are they like?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Fat, white nerds, i.e. both sides primary demographic.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

who are the vast majority of gamers. what are they like?
It depends on how you define game. There is a lot of 'casual' mobile stuff out there with a huge reach and PC master race types that don't count them. If you're going by the more broad definition it's pretty much everyone who has any sort of mobile device.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

SedanChair posted:

Rachel Dolezal is afraid that if too many ethnics get together they might start colluding with one another and see through her clever disguise of spray-on tan and hair dye.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

XMNN posted:

Fat, white nerds, i.e. both sides primary demographic.

This is all completely disregarding Asia, which for some strange reason is pigeonholed as white by identity politicians with an agenda.

I mean have you looked at those anime characters they look pretty white to me!! eh

Fiberoptic Fable
Sep 6, 2011
Hell Gem

SedanChair posted:

"anti-GG" is just normal people

The problem with this thread is this.
It is very difficult to make fun of both sides of this stupid mess, when "the call comes from inside the house".

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sharkie posted:

What's wrong with wanting female and black videogame characters?

The overall issue is likely with the larger publishers (Ubisoft, EA, Activision, etc.) not putting much weight behind those sort of things (namely female leads) because they, as a business, worked out whats the best formula to milk money from consumers. They're not as willing to take a risk on a big budget AAA game with a female lead for example as the smaller publishers are. Which is fine, then the smaller studios will do the work and capitalize on that demographics desires.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Al Cowens posted:

Racial diversity and LGBT themes in video games were hardly unprecedented long before a bunch of (predominantly) white people decided to lecture this industry on how to be diverse correctly. gently caress tokenism.

You don't know what that word means.
So people shouldn't talk about gay people in media, or just white people shouldn't talk about it, or is it a solved problem, or what are you saying?

Also:

afeelgoodpoop posted:

I'd like to hear more of your thoughts about how feminists are trying to ruin gamers games.

And what's the like minded minority group?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Al Cowens posted:

This is all completely disregarding Asia, which for some strange reason is pigeonholed as white by identity politicians with an agenda.

I mean have you looked at those anime characters they look pretty white to me!! eh

How sincere.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Al Cowens posted:

There's too many black people in that room, clearly this is the doing of the SJWs pushing their unnatural agenda. It needs only one, maybe two at most.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Sharkie posted:

So people shouldn't talk about gay people in media, or just white people shouldn't talk about it, or is it a solved problem, or what are you saying?
Closest option. More specifically, Portland/SF/Toronto care crew should stop resorting to asinine tokenism, and condescendingly lecturing actual minorities and calling them house friend of the family uncle toms when they get fed up with their bullshit and having their very existence declared "problematic"

It's not white people, it's that kind of white 'people'

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Unfunny Poster posted:

The overall issue is likely with the larger publishers (Ubisoft, EA, Activision, etc.) not putting much weight behind those sort of things (namely female leads) because they, as a business, worked out whats the best formula to milk money from consumers. They're not as willing to take a risk on a big budget AAA game with a female lead for example as the smaller publishers are. Which is fine, then the smaller studios will do the work and capitalize on that demographics desires.

Pretty much this. It is why we don't have games based on other culture's mythology. Games are a huge risk and developers don't want to take that chance so they go with what is safe. I mean, I'd kill for a game set in a mythical Africa/India/Middle East with tons of cultural references I haven't been exposed to like 'The Witcher 3', which is completely slavic in its influences. Or a game where I get to play a Moor fighting against the Reconquista. poo poo like that. But those aren't safe titles.

See how publishers basically stated old-school cRPGs were dead, horror was dead, etc. and then they came back with a vengeance to sell really well. Publishers are very frequently wrong and look at the bottom line. After all, gaming is a business.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Al Cowens posted:

Closest option. More specifically, Portland/SF/Toronto care crew should stop resorting to asinine tokenism, and condescendingly lecturing actual minorities and calling them house friend of the family uncle toms when they get fed up with their bullshit and having their very existence declared "problematic"

You sure have a narrative in your head, I'll give you that.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

SedanChair posted:

You sure have a narrative in your head, I'll give you that.

:ironicat:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Al Cowens posted:

For the last time, being trans-black does not make you an actual minority. Sorry.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Al Cowens posted:

Its funny how much the fighting game community doesn't give a gently caress about any of this. They're just playing their fighting games. There was the outcry about Aris being an idiot a long time ago, but nothing came out of that.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Sharkie posted:

And what's the like minded minority group?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

What's my narrative then?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I don't really think a lot of ancillary GG supporters or people on the fence are so much in favor of gamergate, it's more that the crowd gamergate tends to target are pretty godamn unsympathetic on the whole. Things are so polarized that people who curse themselves by paying half an ounce of attention to this are almost given a lovely choice where acknowledging t the "rain wet, sun will rise" fact that channers and MRAs are human garbage has to come with statements like "Revolution 60 was good" "Phil Fish is a good guy" and "Arthur Chu, helluva writer"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Racism exists " oh wow nice narrative sedanchair :rolleyes:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Al Cowens posted:

So what was your problem with that article about gay characters in games?
I don't get it. I don't know who these people are except they've dyed their hair which, why should I care about that? Also they're white but that's not a minority group.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

NightVis posted:

a lovely choice where acknowledging t the "rain wet, sun will rise" fact that channers and MRAs are human garbage has to come with statements like "Revolution 60 was good" "Phil Fish is a good guy" and "Arthur Chu, helluva writer"

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

NightVis posted:

"Revolution 60 was good" "Phil Fish is a good guy" and "Arthur Chu, helluva writer"

Agreed on all counts.

• Locked thread