Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

fknlo posted:

So it's not like the issue with the VW TDI HPFP where you have replace the entire fuel system when it goes?

That's pretty mild compared to the VW gas HPFP cam follower blow-up issue that sends metal into the engine oiling system and then you replace the entire engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
excuse me that is an engine disablement feature

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mange Mite posted:

They're now renaming it the XT6 because, uh, Audi or something idk. Can't have the customers actually knowing the names of the cars, can we?

Of all the dumb modern GM moves, the constant renaming is perhaps the dumbest. At least even they're not stupid enough to rename the Escalade, though.

I think that one is going to be the XT5 (Chevy Equinox/Buick Envision/GMC Terrain platform), the XT6 will be a bigger 3 row GMC Acadia rebadge.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

That's pretty mild compared to the VW gas HPFP cam follower blow-up issue that sends metal into the engine oiling system and then you replace the entire engine.

I wouldn't be surprised if only replacing the engine is cheaper. I've seen quotes of around $8k when the fuel pump goes.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Augmented Dickey posted:

Why is the exhaust manifold full of sperm?

That's how you get the most boost.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
That new Alfa is sick as heck and I want it.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
We have two 500s and are planning on buying the 124 when it arrives. My new ideal garage is my abarth, a 500x, a 124, and the Giulia.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Throatwarbler posted:

Thanks for reminding me to check the one on the wife's passat when I change the oil on it next weekend!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

corn in the fridge posted:

That new Alfa is sick as heck and I want it.
same

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I wonder if some euro goons could shed some light for me on Alfa Romeo. What's their target market? What I mean is: in the US, you'll have the mass market stuff from ford/gm/toyota that is mostly basic cars with some halo models, but overall fairly affordable. Then you'll have the euro cars like porsche/bmw/audi/merc that goes after the high end/luxury market, they leave the aspirational euro purchasers VW.

Where is alfa going to compete? Are they going to have a small, reliable, economical hatchback? Or are they going to pull a BMW and keep all the cheap stuff back home and only sell the high end stuff in the US? The gigglia looks pretty expensive. I wonder if they'll be cars that wannabe rappers and dealers drive, like the quattroporte :v:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BloodBag posted:

Where is alfa going to compete? Are they going to have a small, reliable, economical hatchback? Or are they going to pull a BMW and keep all the cheap stuff back home and only sell the high end stuff in the US?

I'd say they'll go for the high end only.

As for Europe Alfa really doesn't compete - they're quirky cars that appeal to some people but have never been mainstream.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

dissss posted:

I'd say they'll go for the high end only.

As for Europe Alfa really doesn't compete - they're quirky cars that appeal to some people but have never been mainstream.

Kinda like Saab?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Short history of Alfa:

Pre-WW2:

Best, most expensive coachbuilt hypercars money can buy. Fastest production cars in market, all-aluminium DOHC engines, fully independent suspension etc. Competition is Bugatti etc.

Post- WW2:

Money is tight in Europe and to selling very expensive cars is difficult. Alfa moves down in price range and inroduces unibody cars. Trucks and army-jeeps are also built. All of them with DOHC all-aluminium engines.

Alfa moves further down the price range with introduction of Giulietta in 1954, introducing the concept of compact, sporty, premium sedan to the market. The model is quite a hit in sedan, coupe and spider forms. These are still expensive cars. Like Jaguar expensive.

In 1963 BMW also decides that sporty, compact, premium cars are a viable business and introduces the 1500. Alfa releases Giulia with 5-speed transmission and 4-wheel disc brakes. Larger than Giulietta. Giulia in sedan, coupe and spider forms competes head-to-head with BMW Neue-Klasse and '02 until the early 70's.

In early 70's Alfa introduces the Alfetta platform with rear mounted transaxle, inboard rear brakes de Dion rear and torsion bar front suspension. "Busso" all aluminium V6 is introduced in Alfa 6 in 1979. By 1980's financial problems are severe and product development consist mostly of combining existing components to come up with cars that appear more modern. Major quality issues. The last major developments are a VVT (a first in production vehicles?) version of the DOHC engine built since 1954 and a new TwinSpark cylinder head for the same engine. Alfa had 8-valve, 8-plug and 16-valve, 4-plug prototypes but for some inexplicable reason they decided to go with the TwinSpark...

Fiat era 1986->

Alfas are increasingly built from Fiat parts bin with custom bodywork, engines and suspension components. Initially engines are still based on the all-aluminium Alfa engines. The 8-valve TwinSpark is finally replaced with a 16-valve that uses Fiat/Lancia bottom end and custom twin-spark cylinder head. The Alfa Busso V6 is updated with 24v cylinder heads and is built in 3.2 litre form until 2010 for the GT. This is the last non-parts bin engine in Alfas.

Alfa 156 is introduced in 1997. It is very pretty compared to the competition, very nice to drive and sells quite well, bringing Alfa out of the death row. Still unbeatable value in the used car market because no-one wants used Alfas (If you do your own timing belts. And it is not rusty. And... :) ).

The 159/Brera/Spider are a result of the ill-fated Fiat-GM co-operation. Petrol engines are GM EcoTecs with custom cylinder heads (crap), GM transmissions (crap), many components are shared with Opel and Saab. The results are very pretty but heavy cars that are not quite as exciting to drive as 156 and it derivatives.

After the 156 era Alfa has been in life support with Fiat based compact hatchbacks Mito and Giulietta. Fiat has no market share in D and E segments and no volume or money to justify development custom platforms for Alfa/Lancia.

Marchionne/Chrysler era:

When the Chrysler merger becomes a possibility in 2009, Marchionne sees an opportunity to move Alfa to higher-marging premium market. With Chrysler, Fiat would have the volume to build suitable RWD platforms. Almost all then-current Alfa development projects are suspended and the brand is held alive with minimum effort, while completing the Chrysler deal and preparing for an ambitious relaunch of the brand in the premium market (think BMW, Mercedes, Lexus) with an all-new RWD platform.

Edit: TL/DR: Basically Marchionne is trying use the volume provided by the Chrysler deal to make Alfa the direct BMW competitor it was in the 70's and trying to make everyone forget what happened between 1980-2010.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 28, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BloodBag posted:

I wonder if some euro goons could shed some light for me on Alfa Romeo. What's their target market? What I mean is: in the US, you'll have the mass market stuff from ford/gm/toyota that is mostly basic cars with some halo models, but overall fairly affordable. Then you'll have the euro cars like porsche/bmw/audi/merc that goes after the high end/luxury market, they leave the aspirational euro purchasers VW.

Where is alfa going to compete? Are they going to have a small, reliable, economical hatchback? Or are they going to pull a BMW and keep all the cheap stuff back home and only sell the high end stuff in the US? The gigglia looks pretty expensive. I wonder if they'll be cars that wannabe rappers and dealers drive, like the quattroporte :v:

As others have said, there will be no cheap mass market Alfas. They started out as a premium brand (Enzo Ferrari started as a race driver for Alfa, and first displayed the prancing horse badge on his Alfa race cars before he started his own team), and that's where Marchionne wants to position them. I'd expect Alfas to start around $50k USD and go up from there. Expect lots of Ferrari-derived engines and such.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I just wanna see what would happen if someone made a compact or midsize car in the C or D segment to compete with the greige Camry/Accord/Sonata and its ilk.... but RWD, and at like a $500 premium to compensate.

2018 Avenger, as vengeance for the last Avenger? ...Never mind, gently caress that, call it a Coronet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, coupes are generally more expensive than their sedan counterpart and the fusion starts at $22k and the mustang at $25 and they're going to need a falcon replacement and they're already making the mustang platform in RHD.

Just picture it, the january 2017 cover of car and driver. The LS7 ATS-V-R up against the 5.2 Falcon XR8-RS.

The next month, a refreshed M3 against the Jaguar XE-RS and 500hp 3.5l ecoboost lincoln on the same platform.

The checks practically write themselves.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Friar Zucchini posted:

They look fine on that, but they just do not work on a wagon... might as well just draw some circles on the brake rotors. I generally prefer more metal than air in a wheel anyway - IMO the 70's and 80's were peak wheel and anything later is mostly either a melted blob, or an anorexic blob.

I just wish someone would reproduce the Saab soccer ball wheels in modern sizes and patterns :sigh:

crazzy posted:

What other engines aren't prone to failure?

Focus ST's break ringlands
MazdaSpeed 3's stretch timing chains and have HPFP fueling issues stock
BMW N54's have notorious HPFP issues
FA20DIT have had a number of spun bearings
corvette's spin bearings
evo's break transmissions and transfer cases (engines seem extremely stout though)
rx-8's eat rotor housings like crazy

The Volvo 5-cylinder :colbert:

(drive-e is neat but is a betrayal of everything cool)

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 28, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

atomicthumbs posted:

I just wish someone would reproduce the Saab soccer ball wheels in modern sizes and patterns :sigh:

[url=http://i.imgur.com/xpHsBef.jpg][/timg]

There's a dude in Poland who takes old rims and turns them into custom sized 3 pieces... They look awesome. Link when I dig it out.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

HotCanadianChick posted:

As others have said, there will be no cheap mass market Alfas. They started out as a premium brand (Enzo Ferrari started as a race driver for Alfa, and first displayed the prancing horse badge on his Alfa race cars before he started his own team), and that's where Marchionne wants to position them. I'd expect Alfas to start around $50k USD and go up from there. Expect lots of Ferrari-derived engines and such.

Except Marchionne just recently announced future annual sales targets to be 150,000 in the US and 400,000 cars worldwide by 2018. That would put them somewhere between Acura and Infiniti for US sales. No way they can h it those numbers with a super-premium line-up. Well, there's no way they're hitting those numbers period, but that's another issue.

quote:

The automaker plans to spend nearly $7 billion over the next five years to launch eight new Alfa cars and crossovers.

"Alfa Romeo will finally have a fully equipped showroom for nearly each and every segment," said Harald Wester, CEO of the Alfa Romeo brand. "We will be entering new territories and new segments we have never been."

Globally, Wester said, sales are forecast to grow rapidly from 74,000 in 2013 to more than 400,000 by 2018.

Following the introduction of the Alfa Romeo 4C Roadster in the U.S. this summer a midsize sedan will be introduced next year.

"By 2015, our first new cloverleaf will arrive in the showrooms," Wester said, in reference to the brand's logo.

But it was less clear Wester meant that the midsize sedan shown on the company's product plan for 2015 will be introduced in the U.S., where the company has been promising to return in force, or just in Europe.

Overall, Alfa Romeo's product plan calls for the midsize passenger car to be followed by two new or redesigned compact cars between 2016 and 2018, a full size car, two crossovers and a specialty vehicle, according to the company's product plans.

What you're describing sounds more like their plans for Maserati.

quote:

The American-Italian automaker also is aiming to quadruple the global sales of its Maserati luxury brand by 2018, Harald Wester, CEO of the brand said Tuesday in Auburn Hills.

The ambitious global expansion is based on the company's plans to launch six new or redesigned cars or crossovers over the next five years.

"Against all odds, Maserati is taking on the boring giants, the giants of the expected, the predictable," Wester, who also is CEO of Alfa Romeo, said today.

He said Maserati, founded in 1914, struggled in the 1960s and 1970s, but was eventually reinvigorated Fiat. Fiat acquired Maserati in 1993 but the brand's global sales have been modest.

Maserati's sales have grown from 8,600 in 2008 to 15,400 in 2013. Wester said the company's sales should grow to more than 75,000 by 2018.

FCA plans to achieve that rapid growth by launching the Levante SUV this year, followed by the Alfieri Coupe, Granturismo and Grancabrio between 2016 and 2018.
"By 2018, we will be covering the luxury market in its entirety," Wester said.

Hoenstly it all sounds insanely delusional to me, but maybe I'm missing something here.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 28, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

If you're on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Indywidual-wheel-Dzidziusbmw-Zbif/435223189880338?fref=ts

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Friar Zucchini posted:

might as well just draw some circles on the brake rotors.

What, you mean like this?

It doesn't show well at that angle/distance but those little steps in the spokes correspond to the rotor's diameter :3: it's pretty obvious from <10 feet away but parking is poo poo where I live so that's the best I could do without driving somewhere for the sake of a lovely post on the internet.
What I'm trying to say is, '90s wheels best wheels.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

New Audi A4 just dropped. Looks basically like the previous gen but the interior has been upgraded. Longer, wider, and up to 264 lbs. lighter. Supposed to have new, more efficient engines too.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/28/2016-audi-a4-official-photos-video/

quote:

High tech all the way – the new Audi A4 and A4 Avant

The new-generation Audi A4 and A4 Avant are a fascinating synthesis of technology and esthetics. All the technology in the brand's bestselling family has been redeveloped so that it yet again defines the benchmark in the segment. During the development work, high priority was placed on the reduction of CO2 emissions. All technologies were focused on reducing drive resistance.

A good example is aerodynamics: The A4 Sedan has the best drag coefficient in its class at 0.23. The new models also have impressively low CO2 emissions of 95 grams per kilometer (152.9 grams per mile) for the A4 Sedan 2.0 TDI ultra with 110 kW (150 hp); the A4 Avant 2.0 TDI ultra emits 99 grams CO2 per km (159.3 g/mi). The 2.0 TFSI with 140 kW (190 hp) emits 109 g/km (175.4 g/mi) in the A4 Sedan ultra and 114 g/km (183.5 g/mi) in the A 4 Avant ultra. The most powerful engines are two TDI six-cylinder units with up to 200 kW (272 hp). Driver assistance systems and infotainment are of luxury quality. A new generation of four-cylinder TFSI engines with newly developed combustion methods sets benchmarks in terms of fuel consumption, emissions and performance for four-cylinder gasoline engines. The A4 Sedan and the A4 Avant will be launched this fall.

At 4.73 meters (15.5 ft) long and with a wheelbase of 2.82 meters (9.3 ft) – the new Audi A4 and A4 Avant have a confident stance on the road. A prominent horizontal line on the front and rear emphasizes the car's width. The flowing design with concise lines communicates the sporty elegance of the brand. The Singleframe grille is wide and low; the optionally available headlights in LED and Matrix LED technology (including dynamic turn indicators) make technology a visual trademark.

Up to 120 kilograms (264.6 lb) lighter

Compared with the previous model, the car's dimensions have grown but its weight has been reduced significantly – by up to 120 kilograms, depending on the engine. The body of the new Audi models is one of the lightest in its class thanks to an intelligent material mix and lightweight construction.

The Audi A4 is a leader in its class also in terms of noise levels. All occupants enjoy generous space; the smooth lines emphasize the width of the interior. The front of the dashboard features a broad band of air outlets and a large decorative surface. At night, optional discreet contour lighting illuminates the doors and the central console. The quality of workmanship is uncompromisingly high. Colors and materials follow a new line concept allowing customers even more freedom during configuration.

Sensor-controlled opening of luggage compartment: the A4 Avant

The luggage compartment of the new A4 Avant offers basic storage space of 505 liters, which is the most of any premium model in this class. With the rear seats folded down and loaded to the roof, a volume of 1,510 liters is available. The electric luggage compartment cover and electric tailgate are standard equipment. An optional extra is sensor control for opening and closing the tailgate.

The two new models offer an abundance of intelligent technologies, the use of which is even more intuitive with the new Audi MMI display and control concept. Technological highlights of the new A4 include the Audi virtual cockpit, the Audi Matrix LED headlights, the Audi smartphone interface, the Bang & Olufsen Sound System with 3D sound, the Audi phone box with wireless charging, the head-up display, and new driver assistance systems and Audi connect services.

Information and fascination: the Audi virtual cockpit and the MMI

The focus here is on two innovations. The optional Audi virtual cockpit, a fully digital combination instrument, features a 12.3-inch LCD screen that displays the most important information in brilliant high-resolution graphics, with great detail and sophisticated effects.

The MMI control concept in the center console is also a newly designed feature and acts as the main control element. The top-end infotainment system, MMI Navigation plus with MMI touch and a large 8.3-inch monitor, has a touchpad in the rotary controller to zoom in and out and to enter characters. The entire MMI control logic is similar to that of a smartphone and includes an intelligent free-text search function. The new, more natural, voice-control system also understands input in normal everyday language, such as "I want to call Peter Miller."

Concentrated computing power

MMI Navigation plus is backed by the computing power of the second-generation modular infotainment platform, which allows Audi to bring consumer electronics innovations into the vehicle quickly.

If customers order a car with MMI Navigation plus, they automatically receive the Audi connect hardware module, which connects the A4 and A4 Avant with the Internet via the high-speed LTE network. Passengers can surf the Internet and send and receive e-mail with their mobile devices via a Wi-Fi hotspot while the driver can use the tailored services of Audi connect.

The Audi smartphone interface is a new feature. It integrates iOS and Android mobile phones into an environment developed especially for this purpose – Audi MMI. The Audi phone box connects smartphones to the on-board antenna and charges them inductively according to the Qi standard. For discerning hi-fi fans, the Bang & Olufsen Sound System with innovative 3D sound is available, which introduces the additional dimension of height. The new Audi tablet can also be used as flexible rear seat entertainment.

Powerful six and four-cylinder engines

The new Audi A4 and A4 Avant will be launched in Germany with seven engines, three TFSI and four TDI. Their power output has increased significantly and ranges from 110 kW (150 hp) to 200 kW (272 hp), but fuel consumption has been reduced by up to 21 percent. The A4 2.0 TDI ultra has fuel consumption of just 3.7 liters of diesel per 100 kilometers (63.6 US mpg) and CO2 emissions of just 95 grams per kilometer (152.9 grams per mile); the figures for the corresponding Avant model are 3.8 l/100 km and 99 g/km CO2 (61.9 US mpg and 159.3 g/mi). All the engines combine high efficiency with sporty power delivery and smoothness. This applies in particular to the two 3.0 TDI six-cylinder engines.

The new Audi A4 has a groundbreaking innovation for the gasoline engines: The 2.0 TFSI ultra with 140 kW (190 hp) uses an absolutely new combustion method that makes it especially efficient and allows fuel consumption of 4.8 liters per 100 km (49 US mpg) and CO2 emissions of 109 g/km (175.4 g/mi); the figures for the corresponding Avant model are 5.0 l/100 km and 114 g/km CO2 (47 US mpg and 183.5 g/mi). During the model lifecycle, a g-tron version will be launched which can use natural gas or the sustainably produced Audi e-gas as fuel.

S tronic, tiptronic and manual transmission

The powertrain and the chassis of the new Audi A4 and A4 Avant have been completely redeveloped. The six-gear manual transmission, the seven-gear S tronic (now also available for front-wheel drive) and the eight-stage tiptronic have been redesigned; the automatic transmissions now offer a fuel-saving freewheeling function. Wheel-selective torque control supplements the work of the front-wheel drive and the quattro drive. For the most powerful TDI, Audi will offer the sport differential on the rear axle as an option starting in 2016.

Driving dynamics

The handling of new A4 makes a great leap forward: on the one hand sporty and performance oriented, but with a focus on comfort at the same time. The suspension and steering filter out disturbances such as an uneven road surface, but communicate to the driver important information such as increases in lateral forces and tracking. This performance is based on the redeveloped five-link axles and the electromechanical power steering – they are exceptionally light. They lay the foundation for dynamic handling and first-class ride comfort while also reducing fuel consumption. Additional options are dynamic steering, which varies its ratio according to the car's speed and the steering angle, and suspension with adjustable shock absorbers with which the driver can for the first time select between two settings: sports or comfort. Both of suspension settings are included in the Audi drive select driving-dynamics system, which is standard equipment for models with engines of 140 kW (190 hp) and above.

Widest range in its class: driver assistance and safety systems

The Audi A4 and A4 Avant set the benchmark in their class with numerous driver assistance systems. The predictive efficiency assistant helps drivers to save fuel, Audi active lane assist helps them to stay in lane and the Stop&Go adaptive cruise control including traffic-jam assist eases driving in slow-moving traffic. One special feature of traffic-jam assist is its control strategy. It takes into account a large number of parameters such as road markings and the traffic ahead. Some more innovations that make important contributions to safety are parking assist, rear cross-traffic assist, exit warning, collision avoidance assist, turn assist and the Audi pre-sense systems. Camera-based traffic-sign recognition is also available.

At a glance: The new Audi A4 and Audi A4 Avant

Exterior design and body
  • Athletic proportions and sporty elegance; the Avant with raked D-pillars
  • 4.73 meters (15.5 ft) long, 2.82-meter (9.3 ft) wheelbase, 1.84 meters (6.0 ft) wide, 1.43 meters (4.7 ft) high
  • Optional LED headlights and matrix LED headlights with dynamic turn indicators
  • Light body: weight reduced by up to 15 kilograms (33.1 lb) compared with the previous model
  • Best drag coefficient in its class: 0.23 for the Sedan, 0.26 for the Avant; aeroacoustics ensure peace and quiet on board
Interior
  • The longest interior and greatest shoulder width at the front compared with competitors
  • Avant has a luggage compartment volume of 505 liters (17.8 cu ft)
  • Avant has an electrical luggage compartment cover as standard
  • Interior design with large decorative surfaces and continuous air vent strip; new colors and materials, spacious interior, LED interior lighting as standard equipment, first-class workmanship
  • Largest range of lightweight seats amongst the premium competitors
  • Automatic climate control with a new interface
  • Optional LED interior lighting packages with color-adjustable ambient lighting
  • New equipment concept with sport and design lines – for the first time with exterior differentiation
Controls
  • Optionally available: head-up display and Audi virtual cockpit
  • Completely redesigned MMI operating concept including free-text search function
  • Can also be operated by multifunction steering wheel and natural-language voice control
Infotainment and Audi connect
  • Optional top-end infotainment system MMI Navigation plus with MMI touch and an 8.3-inch MMI monitor including - Audi connect, LTE connectivity and Wi-Fi hotspot. Audi phone box available with inductive charging
  • Many new Audi connect services including remote control via smartphone app to check and control the car
  • Audi smartphone interface for connecting Apple and Android phones
  • Bang & Olufsen Sound System with innovative 3D sound and Audi tablet as mobile rear-seat entertainment
Engines
  • Three TFSI and four TDI engines at market launch, 110 kW (150 hp) to 200 kW (272 hp), up to 25 percent more power
  • Fuel consumption reduced by up to 21 percent, Audi A4 2.0 TDI ultra with new best figures: just 3.7 liters of diesel per 100 km (63.6 US mpg) and 95 grams of CO2 per kilometer (152.9 grams per mile)
  • Highly efficient 3.0 TDI in two power versions
  • Economical 1.4 TFSI with 4.9 liters per 100 km (48.0 US mpg) and 114 grams CO2 per km (183.5 g/mi)
  • New 2.0 TFSI ultra with 140 kW with newly developed combustion method and just 4.8 liters of gasoline per 100 km (49.0 US mpg) and 109 grams of CO2 per km (175.4 g/mi)
  • A4 Avant g-tron – can operate on sustainably produced Audi e-gas
Drivetrain
  • New generations of the S tronic, tiptronic and manual transmission. S tronic in A4 for front-wheel drive for the first time, both automatic transmissions with freewheeling function
  • Front-wheel drive or quattro drive with wheel-selective torque control
Suspension
  • Redesigned, light five-link axles at front and rear, significant increase in comfort with accentuated sportiness
  • Newly developed electromechanical power steering, with dynamic steering on request
  • Audi drive select dynamic driving system standard as of 140 kW (190 hp), suspension with adjustable shock absorbers available as an option
Driver assistance systems and integrated safety
  • Stop&Go adaptive cruise control including traffic-jam assist for slow-moving traffic
  • Predictive efficiency assistant for even lower fuel consumption
  • Audi active lane assist and Audi side assist
  • New: parking assist, rear cross-traffic assist, exit warning, turn assist, collision avoidance assist and camera-based traffic-sign recognition
  • New safety systems: Audi pre sense city, basic and rear

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Powershift posted:

Well, coupes are generally more expensive than their sedan counterpart and the fusion starts at $22k and the mustang at $25 and they're going to need a falcon replacement and they're already making the mustang platform in RHD.

They already have a Falcon replacement - it's called the Mondeo

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mr. Apollo posted:

New Audi A4 just dropped. Looks basically like the previous gen but the interior has been upgraded. Longer, wider, and up to 264 lbs. lighter. Supposed to have new, more efficient engines too.

[

Can't wait for that sensor which operates the tailgate/boot to start playing up

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Hmm, a drag coefficient of .25? That's pretty impressive, matches their super-efficient A2 from a while back. Also, is "Audi e-gas" what you get after a steady diet of pork sausage, potatoes and lager?

You Am I posted:

Can't wait for that sensor which operates the tailgate/boot to start playing up

My question is, how are they going to route the coolant through it?

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 29, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Apollo posted:

Looks huge. I wonder what two engines the US will get? Provided they decide to grace us with more than one option of course.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mr. Apollo posted:

New 2.0 TFSI ultra with 140 kW with newly developed combustion method and just 4.8 liters of gasoline per 100 km (49.0 US mpg) and 109 grams of CO2 per km (175.4 g/mi)

Curious what this is. HCCI seems doubtful but who knows. Maybe it's just another Atkinson cycle thing.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

That guage cluster/screen looks pretty neat. I wonder if it'll look like trash in real life. Also, does no car manufacturer care about low light driving anymore? I mean all the screens in cars sucks for really dark night driving. I remember reading on here about saabs with the ability to turn off all gauge lighting unless something's acting up on one of them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Alfa you dog fuckers just re-release the 159 but with the new powertrains and such.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Tommychu posted:

What, you mean like this?

It doesn't show well at that angle/distance but those little steps in the spokes correspond to the rotor's diameter :3: it's pretty obvious from <10 feet away but parking is poo poo where I live so that's the best I could do without driving somewhere for the sake of a lovely post on the internet.
What I'm trying to say is, '90s wheels best wheels.
That's exactly what I mean. It's all swollen and... both fat since the metal looks overinflated and yet anorexic cause there's too much air. And more importantly, I thought that was a bog-standard economy plastic hubcap on a dirty black steelie until you mentioned the rotor.

BloodBag posted:

That guage cluster/screen looks pretty neat. I wonder if it'll look like trash in real life. Also, does no car manufacturer care about low light driving anymore? I mean all the screens in cars sucks for really dark night driving. I remember reading on here about saabs with the ability to turn off all gauge lighting unless something's acting up on one of them.
My '15 Focus does have an adjustable gauge brightness setting that's easy to use, just a pair of buttons by the headlight knob, and it'll get super super dark but I haven't bothered to see how dim it gets. I don't think it kills the infotainment screen but it does work on the trip computer between the tach and speedo. Said screen also only turns black when the radio is turned off, and even then the backlight is still on for the temp and clock. My uncle's '05ish Prius with GPS has an actual option to turn the screen all the way off, I think also without affecting the stereo.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 29, 2015

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
But the 159 is FWD?

Is the bottom spoke of the steering wheel on the Audi entirely chrome? That sure is a thing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Friar Zucchini posted:

That's exactly what I mean. It's all swollen and... both fat since the metal looks overinflated and yet anorexic cause there's too much air. And more importantly, I thought that was a bog-standard economy plastic hubcap on a dirty black steelie until you mentioned the rotor.
My '15 Focus does have an adjustable gauge brightness setting that's easy to use, just a pair of buttons by the headlight knob, and it'll get super super dark but I haven't bothered to see how dim it gets. I don't think it kills the infotainment screen but it does work on the trip computer between the tach and speedo. Said screen also only turns black when the radio is turned off, and even then the backlight is still on for the temp and clock. My uncle's '05ish Prius with GPS has an actual option to turn the screen all the way off, I think also without affecting the stereo.

I can see how it looks bloated, but you're going to have to explain to me how there's too much air. If anything, it would look better with half the spokes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really wish cars would go to a full glass dash across the board. You can't tell me that a chunk of plastic with a bunch of fiddly needles and tiny motors to move them is cheaper and easier to assemble than an LCD screen with the scale we are producing LCD screens.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I really wish cars would go to a full glass dash across the board. You can't tell me that a chunk of plastic with a bunch of fiddly needles and tiny motors to move them is cheaper and easier to assemble than an LCD screen with the scale we are producing LCD screens.

At this point in time they've been in production for so long gauges are pennies to produce, screens are dollars. And you still need all the sensors, and software, and graphics... It's still not cheaper. Yet.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BloodBag posted:

I've never had a car with built-in nav, but all the aftermarket ones I've used had a 'night time' mode. I wonder if Audi's super-bright cluster does something similar. I would sure hope so.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Also, aren't the drivers for the LCDs what fails anyway? Don't BMW's have a notorious failure of the iDrive system where the computer that runs it needs replacing a 'when, not if' basis?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

88h88 posted:

At this point in time they've been in production for so long gauges are pennies to produce, screens are dollars. And you still need all the sensors, and software, and graphics... It's still not cheaper. Yet.

All the sensors are there. That's what's driving the gauges you have today. Graphics and software packages can be had off the shelf from companies now.

With existing gauge clusters, you have to produce a unique design depending on car (and sometimes trim level within one model of the car). That's an increased number of parts you have to have on hand and increased complexity in the line to pick the right part.

Don't forget too that all new cars HAVE to have an LCD screen in them somewhere for the backup camera. So, if that's integrated into the gauge cluster, that can allow them to reduce costs there as well.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 29, 2015

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

fknlo posted:

Looks huge. I wonder what two engines the US will get? Provided they decide to grace us with more than one option of course.

Probably something similar to what we get now. It's a shame they won't do a high output diesel in in the A4, Merc and BMW have left the door wide open (Is there a slower car per dollar than a 328xd wagon?)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Take away the ipad mounted on the dash and that is a gorgeous interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

I can see how it looks bloated, but you're going to have to explain to me how there's too much air. If anything, it would look better with half the spokes.
I haven't thought about it a whole lot, I guess it's just that I haven't found wheels with a rounded design to have a match the appearance of a brake rotor, so the smooth flat disc clashes with the rounded shape of the wheel I guess, and that's even before the random chunk of THING on the side of it, that being the caliper. 70's and 80's wheels hid the rotors drums better and had a more angular designs that would better fit the aesthetic of a brake rotor, if it's even visible.

I generally like sharp angular designs more anyway. Like this new Audi A4 is just classy as balls, I love it.

edit: just ignore this part... To piggyback off angular wheels fitting well with the flatness of a brake rotor, I'd argue that wheels can badly clash with a car's general design as well. Round blobbiness goes with round blobbiness, like the 5-spoke alloys on my 99 Taurus - there was not a single shape that was not some variant of an oval, so it generally was a coherent design. A bad one, but coherent. And vice versa - sharp blocky wheels from the 70s and 80s fit well with the design of that era. So if brake discs dictate the design of the wheels, and the design of the wheels must match the design of the car in general, one must conclude that since drum brakes are worthless, and disc brakes are the only other viable option, then all cars that have brakes should have sharp, angular styling. :v:

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 29, 2015