Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Sharkie posted:

I'd like to hear more of your thoughts about how feminists are trying to ruin gamers games.

And what's the like minded minority group?
Here's a summary of a meeting between some feminist games academics and some journalist. Their is a video you can watch for personal confirmation this happened. http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/31fio8/happenings_this_is_the_smoking_gun_8ch_summary/cq19u4q

TL:DR feminist games academics talking about using social engineering to try to push their agendas into as many games as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
I'll bet Phil Fish's mom thinks he's a nice guy and who are you to disagree with her?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

circ dick soleil posted:

I'll bet Phil Fish's mom thinks he's a nice guy and who are you to disagree with her?

I didn't even like Fez, my goodwill was at a resting state before I even saw his twitter

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Here's a summary of a meeting between some feminist games academics and some journalist. Their is a video you can watch for personal confirmation this happened. http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/31fio8/happenings_this_is_the_smoking_gun_8ch_summary/cq19u4q

TL:DR feminist games academics talking about using social engineering to try to push their agendas into as many games as possible.

can you please summarize the pile of words on an anti-feminist reddit because you're asking a lot from people who aren't intrinsically going to take you at your word that the anti-feminist reddit is telling the truth

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Could you give me a TL:DR on what their agendas are? For all you've said they could be pushing to include gravity guns in every game, which is something everyone can get behind.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

afeelgoodpoop posted:

I was asking about your thoughts on how feminism is harming games/gamers, not a link to a video on reddit. Also another question, why do you think feminism is bullshit, or is it only bullshit when it treads on videogames ground?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
afeelgoodpoop already used a TL:DR. You can go read it yourself if you'd like to know more.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Al Cowens posted:

afeelgoodpoop already used a TL:DR. You can go read it yourself if you'd like to know more.

i wouldn't, really. i can throw some insults and be comfortable in my position without cross-referencing angry tweets all night long. my time is more valuable than this

executive summaries exist for a reason, and, while i am not an executive, i do see the value in such a thing

it's useful to bring summarized and non-partisan research to the table when you're trying to convince someone to do a thing, rather than just upending a big nasty smelling sack of poo poo on the floor and daring your opponent to dig through it

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
The most important thing to take away from it is they talk about using "devious" tactics. like fake controversys, slandering everyone who plays games in an attempt to curb whatever it's slandering it over. Real Soviet style poo poo.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Al Cowens posted:

So everyone has the same agenda? It would feel really good to know we're all on the same page.

Eustachy
May 7, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it was also the national press who called gamergate a harassment campaing. twenty years from now the legacy of gamergate will be "white male internet nerds told women to kill themselves"

20 years from now the only people who know anything at all about gamergate will also be overly familiar with a man's gaping anus

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

afeelgoodpoop posted:

The most important thing to take away from it is they talk about using "devious" tactics. like fake controversys, slandering everyone who plays games in an attempt to curb whatever it's slandering it over. Real Soviet style poo poo.

All over videogames. Lol.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The Droid posted:

People are dumb? Totalbiscuit ran around for some time trying to make the matter actually about ethics in games journalism, obviously that didn't pan out too well but at least he managed to talk some people out of getting involved in this shitstorm in the process.
Correct, when he wasn't appearing on Google Hangout livestreams with head gamergaters or tweeting about how this Quinnspiracy thing could actually be true guys he was actively trying to steer the manifest distrust in "games journalism" towards his own benefit as a big name Youtuber popular enough to rival and eventually supplant the gaming press - with none of the responsibility that would come with that visibility because he's not a journalist you see, much like how Fox News is simultaneously the most popular cable news channel and yet not part of the mainstream corporate media.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s4nmr1/

To give him some real credit, even if it was ultimately to his own benefit in his war with "games journalism," he really believed in trying to "rehabilitate the gate" and called on everyone who would listen to stop harassing and hateful tweeting in general. I'd like to think that made at least a small difference.

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z13mv3hw3xnns5d4004ceryhtzv2tfxqyq00k

He even pointed out that the (at the time) most retweeted person on the hashtag (that's twitter for you), PressFartToContinue, for being a serial harasser and stalker of his Polaris network friends.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/nh2uij

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

afeelgoodpoop posted:

where does it say this

Eustachy posted:

20 years from now the only people who know anything at all about gamergate will also be overly familiar with a man's gaping anus

i'm already familiar with that anus, right now. i regard it as an old friend, a comfortable pair of sneakers well past their prime that hug my feet like a comforting mother

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

i wouldn't, really. i can throw some insults and be comfortable in my position without cross-referencing angry tweets all night long. my time is more valuable than this

executive summaries exist for a reason, and, while i am not an executive, i do see the value in such a thing

not readin but guessin:

a bunch of people under 30 got high on their own farts and suggested they "transform society" through video gaming like a nerdy drum circle, gamergate shits pants

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

When the people associated with the "indie gaming clique" tweet things like this when their art game that is boring and pretentious by art game standards fails and drives them out of business, is it hard to see why people might not like them?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
But pushing that agenda is 100% good. It doesn't matter if gamers want to see those messages or not, they should be forced to see them, because they are barbarians and need wise, civilizing women academics to restructure their minds to comply with feminism. Everyone should comply with the expectations of feminism.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

The Droid posted:

When the people associated with the "indie gaming clique" tweet things like this when their art game that is boring and pretentious by art game standards fails and drives them out of business, is it hard to see why people might not like them?

And nothing of value was lost.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

where does it say this

A lot of people have been saying it so I'm hesitant to believe that they're all making it up. That can't be right.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Droid posted:

i find it difficult to articulate in a non-offensive way why i should ever give a poo poo about this person or this person's opinion let alone the people who venemously oppose this person and this person's opinion

circ dick soleil posted:

A lot of people have been saying it so I'm hesitant to believe that they're all making it up. That can't be right.

lots of people believe we never landed on the moon. by default, people are stupid, and mass appeals to people's beliefs are also stupid

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

They'll be erasing men from photos next!

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Why is this link asking me to help 8chan and why are they tracking who Zoe Quinn is seen at weddings with?

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

SedanChair posted:

But pushing that agenda is 100% good. It doesn't matter if gamers want to see those messages or not, they should be forced to see them, because they are barbarians and need wise, civilizing women academics to restructure their minds to comply with feminism. Everyone should comply with the expectations of feminism.

If you push it in an inept, awkward, borderline insulting way that makes the end user realize that they spent $20 to press E to fold clothes and walk around a minimalist apartment whiling listening to a dull monologue then it doesn't matter what you're trying to push.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

i find it difficult to articulate in a non-offensive way why i should ever give a poo poo about this person or this person's opinion let alone the people who venemously oppose this person and this person's opinion

It's a lovely 3rd-tier indie game studio that never once succeeded in turning a profit.

They were a major threat to videogames and free speech and stuff apparently.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Droid posted:

Why would you form an opinion of anyone other than that specific person based on their tweet?

What other characteristics of the people in that photo would you like to judge groups by?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

tl;dr they made one of those really bad debateably not-actually-a-game games and it was not well received and nobody liked it and nobody bought it so they ragequit from the marketplace

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Oh come off it, we're here discussing these issues now and any time you're presented with something concrete regarding them you resort to the care-card or worse the "yeah no, my eyes glaze over, I can't even" copout.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

The Droid posted:

If you push it in an inept, awkward, borderline insulting way that makes the end user realize that they spent $20 to press E to fold clothes and walk around a minimalist apartment whiling listening to a dull monologue then it doesn't matter what you're trying to push.

But I thought people in this thread have been arguing that its the agenda itself that is the problem, no?

In fact I haven't really heard anyone complain about how lovely the games are, just complaints about how the games don't align with their politics.

I'd really like it if these Gamergate people kept from trying to railroad their politics into games, but sadly that's not how they operate.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 27, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Al Cowens posted:

tl;dr they made one of those really bad debateably not-actually-a-game games and it was not well received and nobody liked it and nobody bought it so they ragequit from the marketplace
That doesn't answer the loving why.

Why are you invested?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Droid posted:

If they're inept, you shouldn't fear their agenda. I have a feeling you switch positions on this as convenience dictates; either they are menacing feminist valkyries out to confiscate my e-waifu, or they are pathetic and ineffectual. You'll choose the argument that you find most soothing at the time.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

it was also the national press who called gamergate a harassment campaing. twenty years from now the legacy of gamergate will be "white male internet nerds told women to kill themselves"

One of Gamergate's goals is to "level up" and go after the national press as well for their ethical breaches as well. We'll see how well they fair at the the SPJ panel. They still haven't won the wikipedia battle.

this is a really weird claim. feminism isn't a label, it's a school of thought that you can support. people are feminists when they say feminist things and support feminist causes, it's not an attribute of a person that they just are. nor is it a feminist thing to shame people, that is a thing that some people who identify as feminists may do but there are many equally valid feminists who would disagree with using feminism as an ideolodgical cudgel

Feminism isn't a label? I don't think I said it was, but okay whatever. I'm not claiming that all feminists support call out culture though. Some do, some don't. There is a contingent, however, that does support the "calling out" of abusers so that others don't become the victims of said abusers. There are good reasons for this, I suppose, but it can get out of hand, as evidenced by the zoepost. IMO Calling people out / shaming people on the internet is probably the worst kind of harassment because it does actually lead to people losing their jobs, or getting doxxed / harrassed by third parties. It's worse than death threats and abusive language that usually doesn't lead to anything serious, save for maybe swatting, but even that rarely leads to anything serious. Therefore, I think what Eron Gjoni did by publishing that post is worse than anything Zoe Quinn did to him ... until she put a gag order on him and started calling him an abuser.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 27, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardboard Box A posted:

Correct, when he wasn't appearing on Google Hangout livestreams with head gamergaters or tweeting about how this Quinnspiracy thing could actually be true guys he was actively trying to steer the manifest distrust in "games journalism" towards his own benefit as a big name Youtuber popular enough to rival and eventually supplant the gaming press - with none of the responsibility that would come with that visibility because he's not a journalist you see, much like how Fox News is simultaneously the most popular cable news channel and yet not part of the mainstream corporate media.

I don't think his initial involvement was anything nefarious, but more so "hey remember the Jeff Gertsman thing? You should probably avoid that sort of poo poo happening again."

I do agree with his initial "if Zoe issued a DMCA on a video, it's kind of an abuse of the YouTube DMCA system as the video had no copyright infringement."

He did an hour long discussion with Stephen Totilo (Editor in Chief of Kotaku) on the whole thing, and with Rhianna Pratchett (video game story writer who did the recent Tomb Raider games and some other stuff) on representation in games.

They're nothing groundbreaking but his overall goal was "let's actually have a discussion like civil adults and not call each other names on Twitter", which seems to have worked in some capacity.

Links:

Totillo discussion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmIrWqEUUU
Prathcett discussion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJUHm9v6uOQ

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 27, 2015

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Why would you form an opinion of anyone other than that specific person based on their tweet?

Because gaming journalism outlets and games journos came out in droves to lament how these people went out of business and were so great and important?

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Well that's one way to ensure human extinction.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Mr. Wookums posted:

That doesn't answer the loving why.

Why are you invested?
You have too many posts in this thread to play this "Look at how full of care you are unlike me" game.

e: OOPS

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Gianthogweed posted:

One of Gamergate's goals is to "level up" and go after the national press as well for their ethical breaches as well. We'll see how well they fair at the the SPJ panel. They still haven't won the wikipedia battle.

I have a goal to turn into liquid metal like T-1000.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Well that's one way to ensure human extinction.

Like most barbarians in need of being taught compliance, you believe that only brutalizing women can sustain humanity. This is a poisonous ideology, and you and it should be controlled aggressively.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

The art games deal is a "thing" largely because the gaming press can be overly solicitous towards it in a way that outsizes its actual interest among the consumers, which is a pretty big disconnect from the consumers of the products they're covering. I think a lot of the gaming journos covered in this shitstorm are generally just writing about games to get a byline, and would rather be doing some political blogging somewhere. When you got a disconnect (I'd even go as far as to say contempt) that hard between the audience and writers there's going to be some natural tension going both ways. If Ebert were covering some fresh film grad's 10 minute short, people would think it'd be out of place. Then again, Ebert actually wanted to be writing about movies.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Droid posted:

Because gaming journalism outlets and games journos came out in droves to lament how these people went out of business and were so great and important?

Some guy named Chris is a drove? Also so what? Why should I be concerned about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Gianthogweed posted:

My prediction is that they're going to confuse SPJ with SJW (one of their trigger words) and it's going to screw the whole thing up, with gamergaters yelling hysterically at the journalists and calling them hamplanets.

• Locked thread