Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Clarste posted:

Literally everyone hates Gamergate, especially the people who have no idea what it is, and therefore anyone who defends the label of Gamergate is an idiot. There is literally no reason to cling to this dying ship. If you actually care about any of the issues you claim to care about, you'd have dropped it like a radioactive potato months ago. All you've succeeded in doing, as Gamergate, is to form a rallying movement against you and implicitly in support of the supposedly corrupt gaming media.

You're just stupid.

a few people have tried to make non-misogynist gamergate spinoffs but they never really caught on. i guess they lacked a certain je-n'aime-pas-fille

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Exclamation Marx posted:

What do you even think feminism is

Just being cute about birth replacement rates/ideology.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

SedanChair posted:

Oh they were trying to forcibly prevent an MRA from speaking? Good, excellent.

Have a link dump

Then:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottsboro_boys
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till
http://i.imgur.com/YKvMrUO.jpg :nws:

Now:
http://www.furiousandbrave.com/2013/08/skewaww.html
http://gothamist.com/2015/05/28/manspreading_crackdown.php
http://www.ebony.com/news-views/i-guess-you-really-aint-sht-questlove-303/2#axzz3eFGA4FCE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yuFy_qjolU
https://youtu.be/JHzGiGUj5SU?t=98
It's pretty hard for me to not see any parallels.

Future:
http://i.imgur.com/YKvMrUO.jpg :nws:

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

circ dick soleil posted:

Real talk though it's just the second phase, anger. The first phase, denial, was the era of m'ladys and fedora tipping, when the gamer dudes denied the hard truth of no sex. The next phase is bargaining, the golden era of cucks.

If you think the "cuck" meme is good now, well...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
full disclosure i'm an eastern standard time (united states) poster who is awake far too late in the relative time cycle so any deficency of posting on my part should not be interpreted as a weakness of argumentation or a failure of moral fiber (fibre) regarding some deficiency as such

afeelgoodpoop posted:

are feminists a threat to society? not even video games, but the entirety of humanity as a whole?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ahahahahahaha

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
which one of these links should i click on to get to the part that explains how feminists are trying to poison you with cyanide in the wallpaper or whatever

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

You've really gone off the deep end, haven't you?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Popular Thug Drink posted:

which one of these links should i click on to get to the part that explains how feminists are trying to poison you with cyanide in the wallpaper or whatever
Go to sleep and when you wake up check thefuriousandbrave.com link (you won't)

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

are feminists a threat to society? not even video games, but the entirety of humanity as a whole?

I've never looked at it in detail but it seems the more feminist a society becomes the more that societys birthrate drops with it.

I never really looked into it, just spring boarded off that to joke off of it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Al Cowens posted:

Go to sleep and when you wake up check thefuriousandbrave.com link (you won't)

i wont if that's not the link that demonstrates the coven of feminists that hover over you in your dreams

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I think what Al's getting at is that the upper to upper middle class white feminism that en vogue on the twitters at the moment has massive issues with class and race that are going unexamined entirely.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
At this point I'm legitimately afraid for Sabel's safety. Please try to avoid the lynch mobs of killer feminists :ohdear:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

That's not really an answer. What is your definition of feminism?

Sabel, you honestly seem to be much less mentally well than you were before gamergate happened.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NightVis posted:

I think what Al's getting at is that the upper to upper middle class white feminism that en vogue on the twitters at the moment has massive issues with class and race that are going unexamined entirely.

this isn't anything new since like i dunno 1930 or so so it's strage to blame twitter for second wave aftereffect

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

i wont if that's not the link that demonstrates the coven of feminists that hover over you in your dreams
You won't do poo poo ever.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
al cowen, weren't you the guy who claimed lf feminists tried to frame him for rape?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Is gamergate based off of love of black people?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gum posted:

a few people have tried to make non-misogynist gamergate spinoffs but they never really caught on. i guess they lacked a certain je-n'aime-pas-fille

I think it has something to do with why people in this thread keep dancing around why they hate feminism but are too shy to come out and say why or elaborate on what they think, preferring to at most post lists and lists of lists but refusing to use their words beyond vaguely ominous allusions.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Al Cowens posted:

i won't, because i am not hounded night and day by a ghastly brace of feminist ghouls

please look at this video and mentally replace the word "haunted" with "feminist"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFtLw4lbgP8

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Al Cowens posted:

I clicked your link and god dammit I was looking forward to getting some sleep tonight :gonk:

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Sharkie posted:

I think it has something to do with why people in this thread keep dancing around why they hate feminism but are too shy to come out and say why or elaborate on what they think, preferring to at most post lists and lists of lists but refusing to use their words beyond vaguely ominous allusions.

please acknowledge the pun

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I read the link. It's about how racism is bad and somehow that's women's fault.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 27, 2015

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

khwarezm posted:

Is gamergate based off of love of black people?
Love of internet drama. It's just you can't really admit that so you have to pretend this is the apocalyptic end war of video games.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Clarste posted:

I read the link. It's about how racism is bad and somehow that's women's fault.
White feminists. Some of who happen to be women, some men, and the rest women who used to be men.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Exclamation Marx posted:

That's not really an answer. What is your definition of feminism?

Equality between the sexes. As a movement their is obviously alot more going on behind the scenes that give off alot of social marxist vibes, but i only know about that stuff in passing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Al Cowens posted:

White feminists. Some of who happen to be women, some men, and the rest women who used to be men.

Not even feminists, just women in general. Actually, it says that educated liberal women are marginally less racist, so I guess technically feminism is good?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Equality between the sexes. As a movement their is obviously alot more going on behind the scenes that give off alot of social marxist vibes, but i only know about that stuff in passing.

And then people stop having babies

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower

Sharkie posted:

I thought it wasn't Feminism in general but more simply the ultra-radical wing that gets coverage because of how obnoxious it can be and leads to the demonizing of all forms of Feminism, but whatever.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NightVis posted:

Feminists have been addressing issues of race and class for over 40 years at least, and they haven't stopped, so saying it's "unexamined entirely" is very wrong.

i won't, because i am not hounded night and day by a ghastly brace of feminist ghouls

You just made the list.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

this isn't anything new since like i dunno 1930 or so so it's strage to blame twitter for second wave aftereffect

poorly understood and applied intersectional feminism (hence the twitters) can really sting for someone from a disadvantaged background or identity if it's coming coming from a Brown undergrad.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Why do you think there's a behind the scenes conspiracy? And what's social marxism? You seem to be using your own definitions and treating them like they're commonplace.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Feminism as practiced by upper-middle class white people does not hold a monopoly on the path to gender equality any more than the catholic church does on the path to God.

As much as they would like to have

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Al Cowens posted:

Feminism as practiced by upper-middle class white people does not hold a monopoly on the path to gender equality any more than the catholic church does on the path to God.

It is very important that you cling tightly to your sanity. Don't ever let go not even for a split-second because whatever you lose you will never get back.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Al Cowens posted:

what about feminism practiced by other people. do you like that feminism

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gum posted:

please acknowledge the pun

Yeah, that was a good one.

goku im piss posted:

I thought it wasn't Feminism in general but more simply the ultra-radical wing that gets coverage because of how obnoxious it can be and leads to the demonizing of all forms of Feminism, but whatever.
Please define the "ultra-radical wing" of feminism. And also, it's anything that can be described as feminist they have a problem with.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

NightVis posted:

The art games deal is a "thing" largely because the gaming press can be overly solicitous towards it in a way that outsizes its actual interest among the consumers, which is a pretty big disconnect from the consumers of the products they're covering. I think a lot of the gaming journos covered in this shitstorm are generally just writing about games to get a byline, and would rather be doing some political blogging somewhere. When you got a disconnect (I'd even go as far as to say contempt) that hard between the audience and writers there's going to be some natural tension going both ways. If Ebert were covering some fresh film grad's 10 minute short, people would think it'd be out of place. Then again, Ebert actually wanted to be writing about movies.

The thing about art games is that in a sense, they don't have to be fun. For example, I wouldn't consider 'Papers Please' fun, but it is an engaging game with unique gameplay elements and a very interesting message/story. Sunset committed the cardinal sin: It was boring. You don't have to be fun, but you absolutely cannot be boring. It did tell and not show, which is why it only sold 4k copies. And its message was pretty easily understood. It was just awful.

Take for example another art game: 'Her Story'. The only gameplay is a series of FMV clips you watch. You have to piece together the mystery yourself, sometimes using a pen and paper. It might not be fun, but it is engaging and probably the best FMV game ever invented. You have to find out the story yourself and piece it together. It is engaging and to some people fun.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Profondo Rosso posted:

my litmus test is if i can click on your twitter and there are multiple posts being made a day about how bad gamergate is
That's not really sufficient. It wouldn't even cover half of GamerGhazi for example, let alone most everyone here.

Gianthogweed posted:

Like I said I wasn't around for the beginning when this whole thing broke out, so I don't know what happened. I know that gamergate was called a harassment campaign by the gaming press, but part of the controversy is that gaming press is unethical and trying to push a dishonest narrative so who knows. I wouldn't be surprised Zoe Quinn was getting harassed online by immature gamers and 4chan-types early on when the story first broke, it seems likely based on my preconceived prejudices. But a study done last spring by Women Action Media shows that only 12% of harassers on the autoblocker list on twitter were #gamergate related.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/05/gamergate-isnt-a-harassment-campaign-states-wam-report/
Oh hey it's oneangrygamer again, and also someone who doesn't understand the autoblocker or what it does or why it was created.

The point of the autoblocker is not to block gamergaters or all or even most harassers. It was made to handle one specific problem with twitter, which was especially annoying at the fever pitch of hashtag gamergate - namely that one mention of a tweet by you or of your account by one of the major movers and shakers of hashtag gamergate with a lot of followers would send thousands of said angry followers your way, and due to how crappy twitter is, pretty much wreck your "timeline" for several days or weeks even. So basically anyone who follows just a couple (or in some cases even one) of prominent gamergaters on twitter will be automagically on the list. With some of the big hashtag gamergate twitterers like Adam Baldwin being fairly popular outside of gamergate, this results in tons of false positives (such as corporate fast food accounts) by design. Now you can get yourself manually removed if you raise a big stink about it, as some have, but really it's just the twitter equivalent of a killfile and not some horrible unprecedented affront to the internet.

That didn't stop a few hashtag gamergate twitterers from getting real mad about it though.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Exclamation Marx posted:

Why do you think there's a behind the scenes conspiracy? And what's social marxism? You seem to be using your own definitions and treating them like they're commonplace.

Social Marxism is the agenda of the SocJus hamplanets, when the tumblrinas have all finished their DIGRAs and all that's left are the INTJ autvirgs, then the chans at 4 and 8 form a lolcow to doxx the ghazi sealions under the light of the blood moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Gum posted:

what about feminism practiced by other people. do you like that feminism
Not educated enough on those. Those are footnotes. Wikipedia entries. Irrelevant to my life. However, gender equality and the dissolution of rigid gender roles sounds absolutely fantastic and I'm all for it. I am so brave making this bold statement in 2015.

• Locked thread