Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think one of my favorites is the Depths room that has two Monstros on pillar islands, forcing them to barf at you from your cliffside. I wish the game had more weird rooms like that, but then, I might just not have seen them yet. Stuff like Godmode does, but goes a little too far into Kaizo territory.

Black August fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

293 hours into the game, I've never seen that Monstro room. (What prevents the AI from making them jump up into the air and try to land on you?)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

IUG posted:

293 hours into the game, I've never seen that Monstro room. (What prevents the AI from making them jump up into the air and try to land on you?)

I don't think the AI allows them to jump over pits, so they just endlessly barf at you from the pillars.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
It's interesting to see what the AI does in response to obstacles. Using flight to camp on top of an obstacle and watching pursuit-type monsters slow to a stop is funny, as is watching Pin run face-first into something and stop cold.

Then there's the fight against the Dark One in the room with two blue fires at the top. If I'm not in a hurry I'll see if I can kill him just by luring him into the fire during his cross-screen charge.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I am pleasantly surprised. I ran into an unbeatable room with my present damage that I could not leave without bombs, after maybe 2 minutes the doors spontaneously opened on their own and I didn't have to end my streak. :)

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

:itwaspoo:

It was actually a fun run before that nonsense, got poly in the first treasure room and epic fetus in the second, I don't even know if it matters at that point though.

But yeah, gently caress meat boy forever.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
So how do you guys handle Cat Got Your Tongue?

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 26, 2015

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Cerony posted:

So how do you guys handle Cat Got Your Tongue?

I played that run with a controller and got used to spinning the movement stick around to flail with the hairball. It also helps to control your speed so you can kite pursuit monsters properly.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

All no tear runs are completed by randomly flailing until you Li'l Brim on Basement 2 and rerolling if you don't.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Gnawed Leaf, dude. Just... loving Gnawed Leaf. That's how.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I had a friend play as a floating baby with my second controller. Then we got Lil brim

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Cat Got Your Tongue is the only "difficult" challenge that I beat without some kind of gamebreaking combo or whatever. Flailing that drat hairball all the way through Mom was a pain in the rear end.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
there are also the couple ways to reroll the character, which can lead to desirable results.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Can you actually re-roll the blindfold with a dice room?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No, and the dice room is dangerous as it can take away all familiars, leaving you with no attack.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

IUG posted:

No, and the dice room is dangerous as it can take away all familiars, leaving you with no attack.

Yeah, I was kinda curious about that and killed a challenge run at the Cathedral 'cause it took away my Bob's Brain and all my familiars.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/mcnQKLb.gifv :allears:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

I need this seed immediately.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jibo posted:

Cat Got Your Tongue is the only "difficult" challenge that I beat without some kind of gamebreaking combo or whatever. Flailing that drat hairball all the way through Mom was a pain in the rear end.

I found it to actually be quite useful for Mom since you can hit multiple doorways per rotation. I didn't mind that challenge at all, really. I thought it'd be a nightmare but it was pretty easy.

Now, Family Man and whatever the Tiny Planet challenge is called both suck.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
The tiny planet soy milk challenge is easy if you can get far enough to grab lump of coal.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
The box w/ tears down pill, the black pony, caffeine pill w/ speed down pill :v:, experimental treatment, an hp up, mom fight, then the white pony. gently caress every boss room in that run.

Fano posted:

The tiny planet soy milk challenge is easy if you can get far enough to grab lump of coal.
Does money = power apply a flat dmg bonus to soy milk tears, or is it scaled down? I always wonder which dmg items are a flat bonus, like the curved horn trinket definitely is. What about chemical peel, blood clot, and bloody lust?

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Manatee Cannon posted:

I found it to actually be quite useful for Mom since you can hit multiple doorways per rotation. I didn't mind that challenge at all, really. I thought it'd be a nightmare but it was pretty easy.

Now, Family Man and whatever the Tiny Planet challenge is called both suck.

Family Man was actually one of the challenges that I got through on my first try. You're still shooting tears in a sense so I didn't have too much difficulty with it.

Tiny Planet challenge I remember struggling with for such a long time. I wish I could remember how I beat it.

Just now I actually finished Cat Got Your Tongue finally completing them all. I spent a good amount of time resetting for something good in the Secret Room or the Curse Room until I decided to play it through at least once. For some reason unlike before I wasn't finding it that hard maneuvering around and killing enemies with the Hairball and flies like I did in previous attempts. I guess I got used to it or something. Things picked up when I got Little Steven and the Virus. I even managed to fined Lil' Brimstone but not until Necropolis I. I also found Bob's Brain on the next floor but decided not to take it since I was a one red heart and so proceeded to defeat Mom with the Chaos Card I found a few floor back.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

I need this seed immediately.

FHL3 40N4 with Savior Mod, Isaac, RPG save.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Also :siren: this is the final weekend of Balls of Steel racing tournament :siren:
So if you like that kind of stuff or are curious, tune in on Twitch. They said NL will be racing his buddy as a bonus later :allears:

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

omeg posted:

Also :siren: this is the final weekend of Balls of Steel racing tournament :siren:
So if you like that kind of stuff or are curious, tune in on Twitch. They said NL will be racing his buddy as a bonus later :allears:

Times have been starting too early for me to catch more than the last half these days. I hope to wake up around 9am my time (8pm eastern) and see Hyphen still going. Good luck tomorrow!

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Guillotine is stupid, I feel like I'm drunk after picking it up. I had a great run and I'm pretty sure I'm going to die because I keep trying to steer the head without realizing I'm actually controlling the body.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

shabbat goy posted:

Guillotine is stupid, I feel like I'm drunk after picking it up. I had a great run and I'm pretty sure I'm going to die because I keep trying to steer the head without realizing I'm actually controlling the body.

I'm pretty sure that's what happens to everybody the first time they ever pick up the Guillotine. It teaches you the hard way to never, ever, ever, touch it again.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Guillotine is a ridiculously strong item if you learn how to use it.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

If the RNG gods don't bestow BFF and Mom's Knife upon you, Guillotine is just a clusterfuck.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Guillotine is a ridiculously strong item if you learn how to use it.

It's also foolproof if you have any beam weapon with Spoonbender or if you have Epic Fetus, The Knife, or Ludovico Technique. I actually get it pretty often.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Enjoy having your tears constantly clipping into walls/rocks and hitting nothing. The dmg/tears up is more than offset by how much you miss as a result.

Guillotine does like the same contact damage as big fan, i.e. not much. Attack fly/distant admiration/cube of meat are great damage dealers. I hate guillotine.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sure, you can make Guillotine work if you get the right item loadout. But you could say that about anything (except the Cursed Eye, which is beyond useless). It's really obnoxious by itself and it's hard to get a run going where I'd feel it legitimately helps me. That's how I define a bad item, personally.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

omeg posted:

It's at a really bad time for EU so I only generally get to watch the first couple of races. What i've seen of it has been great though, in one of OldVulpines races yesterday they both entered the lamb room at exactly the same time. the NL vs. Nick race should be funny, they usually take an hour to beat the game on their regular show so it'll be interesting to see them trying to go fast.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

But you could say that about anything (except the Cursed Eye, which is beyond useless).

Some people say Cursed Eye + Holy Mantle is a Godsend if you're playing as the Lost, but what if you get hit outside its teleportation/charge period?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Codiekitty posted:

Some people say Cursed Eye + Holy Mantle is a Godsend if you're playing as the Lost, but what if you get hit outside its teleportation/charge period?

I don't really see the point of Cursed Eye. It's usually more DPS to just shoot normal tears than to charge up not shooting, guess when it's charged, fail and not shoot anything, charge again and finally shoot 4 projectiles. Maybe unless you have godawful tear rate (but then it would also take more time to charge right?).

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Cursed Eye can still shoot before it's fully charged, you'll just shoot less than four tears. I like the cursed eye, but it's annoying when another item overrides it visually so you don't know how charged you are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't think of a single situation where I ever thought "man, the Cursed Eye would be pretty great right about now."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Even if it didn't have the teleportation aspect, trying to make use of the charge shot is kind of a DPS decrease in most situations. It doesn't even have the benefit of front-loading the damage like Polyphemus and Mutant Spider. At least it could have at least offered a different playstyle, which could spice up a run. But the teleportation just kills it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There should be an official "SPEEDRUN" seed full of nothing but speed down items and those skulls that you can only shoot when they pop up and fire at you and Skrollex boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Don't get me wrong guys, I think the Cursed Eye is a piece of poo poo too, I just saw some people on Reddit saying "Don't completely dismiss the Cursed Eye because you can use it in conjunction with the Holy Mantle to get out of trouble if you're The Lost!"

Even in that situation, I think it'd be better to have the Broken Remote and an infinite use item.

Or, you know, just gently caress The Lost.