Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

manga readers, do we get to meet Yamato's parents? also is the show likely to get to that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only up to volume 4 has been translated so far and nope, we haven't met them yet. At its current rate the anime is likely to outstrip the translated stuff in the next four episodes, though I think vol 5 might be out before then. (its up to vol 7 in Japan)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Volume 5 is really good guys. I cheated and skimmed ahead, but I'm pretty excited to see it animated. Volume 5 will be out in two weeks if you can't resist like me.

EDIT: Also yeah, Yamato's parents have shown up. I don't think the anime will reach that point though just because there's a fairly lengthy arc before that, which I also doubt the anime will cover.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 25, 2015

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I don't want to meet Yamato's parents because I'm scared they won't approve of Takeo. :ohdear:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

I don't want to meet Yamato's parents because I'm scared they won't approve of Takeo. :ohdear:

worst case he will probably intimidate them initially before they start to love him

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Takeo's parents are really fantastic though we all already knew that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

dogsicle posted:

worst case he will probably intimidate them initially before they start to love him

He'll just have to save them from a house fire that Suna will light or something.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I feel like a natural Suna storyline would be for him to fall in love with a girl who doesn't immediately swoon over him due to her being an interesting and fun person and such a refreshing change of pace from what he's used to. I have no idea where they'd find a mythical girl like that though.

I'm also worried that something serious will happen to Yamato, like getting beaten up by thugs badly when Takeo isn't around, and then he'll tear Tokyo apart for revenge :ohdear:.

They will be extremely impolite about her baking, and their punishment will be attending her cookery course.

C'mon, tell me you don't want to see some scarred, dead-eyed yakuza dudes getting super hyped about managing to ice their first cupcakes with perfect frilly heart-shapes.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 26, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I feel like a natural Suna storyline would be for him to fall in love with a girl who doesn't immediately swoon over him due to her being an interesting and fun person and such a refreshing change of pace from what he's used to. I have no idea where they'd find a mythical girl like that though.

I'm also worried that something serious will happen to Yamato, like getting beaten up by thugs badly when Takeo isn't around, and then he'll tear Tokyo apart for revenge :ohdear:.

I'd bet it'd be a yankee sort of girl that's a troublemaker and is only interested in Suna, initially because he's the most direct path to challenging Takeo. Suna clearly knows what she's doing because she's exactly as subtle as Takeo, i.e. obliviously transparent. Eventually she does something to make Suna laugh as he strings her along to mess with her as she tries to challenge Takeo and she falls for him while he slowly warms up to her and her version of antics.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

dogsicle posted:

manga readers, do we get to meet Yamato's parents? also is the show likely to get to that point?

Yes, we do, I read the Chinese scanlations which are much further ahead, no we won't get to see them in the show.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sunburnedcrow posted:

Yes, we do, I read the Chinese scanlations which are much further ahead, no we won't get to see them in the show.

:negative:

I suppose I'll see them in the manga once the show finishes then.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I'm so psyched to know that this is a double-season show.

Why won't they announce the next season already, come on Japan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If they keep up the current rate, the anime should cover up to vol 6 so there's probably not enough manga to do much more.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Suna owns

everyone on this show owns

except the groper guy at the beginning I guess.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dezinus posted:

Suna owns

he got owned.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Dezinus posted:

Suna owns

If it wasn't for him, they may have never met. So he owns, in that way?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
The big reveal at the end of series will be that Suna hired someone to play the part of a groper to give Takeo and Yamato an opportunity to meet.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No, it won't be, because that's really terrible.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Please never write an anime, this thread.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The big reveal at the end of the series will be that there's a couple of little Goudas on the way

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry, but I can't get over "lets half-tramatize a girl to set my best friend up with her". That's loving awful. What the poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Please never write an anime, this thread.

I still feel my yakuza cupcake idea has merit. :colbert:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sakurazuka posted:

If they keep up the current rate, the anime should cover up to vol 6 so there's probably not enough manga to do much more.

I think there's a good stopping point in vol 5 since vol 6 is pretty much a whole arc, and a lot of things happen in vol 5 too so I can see them padding it out like they did with the first volume. Also I've said it already, but seriously Vol. 5 is just fantastic and everybody should pick it up in two weeks. :3:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Devil Tesla posted:

I'm sorry, but I can't get over "lets half-tramatize a girl to set my best friend up with her". That's loving awful. What the poo poo.

isn't that the plot of Audition

i mean i love that movie but yeah it's two great tastes that go horrible together

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Makoto Sunakawa is friend to all, except girls who talk poo poo about his best friend.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm a bit fixated on something dramatic happening at the end of the series specifically because it's been so light-hearted so far. If we get to the last few episodes and the big development is "Takeo tried to cook something for Yamato but it turned out awful" or something similarly light then I'll feel let down. I love the show and I don't want it to turn into a twisted dark thing or anything, but the finale should feature Yamato and Takeo overcoming the first truly significant challenge to their relationship and becoming a stronger couple for it. That challenge can absolutely be just because of an issue between the two of them, but given how well they've gotten along it's hard to imagine either of them blundering into a major conflict on their own.

And in my defense, the show began with someone trying to molest Yamato on a train and Takeo nearly killing the guy who did it because he didn't know his own strength, so I don't think something similar to a random mugging or excessive physical violence from Takeo would be as out of left field as people think.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I think Azumanga Daoh would have been a lot better if the girls had gotten into a horrible bus accident and had to spend the rest of their lives dealing with the recuperation of their mangled bodies.

Also Ore Monogatari should end with Yamato getting ovarian cancer and dying a slow and painful death while Takeo watches on and Suna continues to be his bro.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

isn't the whole point of the show that there's no bullshit shoujo drama? like i understand if people are trying to fit it into that mold but they're wrong.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

There is good drama and there is stupid drama. Episodic stories don't necessarily need drama though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

isn't the whole point of the show that there's no bullshit shoujo drama? like i understand if people are trying to fit it into that mold but they're wrong.

It's all of the set up of a shoujo series with the follow through of an SoL. The problem is how used to the formula based on the almost cookie cutter shoujo the show is so every expectation is that of the inevitable drama bombs that usually happens when things get too happy in a romance. If this were more set up like a gag series like Nozaki-kun, the expectation probably wouldn't be there.

Also, I kinda want an episode focused on Suna for once with him interacting with people other than Takeo

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

dogsicle posted:

The drama of the show is how long can Takeo be oblivious to how much yamato wants the d befoee she just grabs him and shoves her tongue down his throat.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

The drama of the show is how long can Takeo be oblivious to how much yamato wants the d befoee she just grabs him and shoves her tongue down his throat.

is it drama, or just what makes Yamato relatable

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Episode 12 was so drat funny. I love this show.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I hope to see gifs of Suna smoothwalking out of the way during soccer and SunaDoor. Suna is simultaneously the best bro and the best troll in the show.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I didn't even notice that during the episode. loving hilarious, best show.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If there isn't a gif of Takeos mom zooming in on Yamato I'll make it when I get home.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Nice, on a second look he actually is doing something too by blocking the goalie's view. I mean, it's not like he'd of had a chance to stop the ball anyway, but still. It's one of the few times so far that girls gathering to swoon around him is justified for something more than his looks too, because that was a swag as hell move.

Zahkri
Oct 16, 2012
He was also totally offside

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Oda looks way too much like Suna.

Also, I love the blurring in next episode's preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

• Locked thread