Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

First episode is out and owns. Streaming on CR every Wednesday.

Ore Monogatari/My Love Story!! is a shoujo romantic comedy written by Kazune Kawahara and illustrated by Aruko and tells the story of official greatest protagonist ever Takeo Gouda and his quest to become even more awesome . There are also some other people.

Preview with some actual animation. Yamato's voice is, uh, unique, hopefully I'll get used to it... Hopefully.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2ZGWRnkdwQ

Our Characters:

Takeo Gouda
Voiced by: Takuya Eguchi

Blessed with a face only a mother anyone could love and a heart as wide as the ocean strides our hero, a giant among men. Sadly his looks are often unappreciated by the ladies. Also a total bro, whatever the problem, he's got your back.

Rinko Yamato
Voiced by Megumi Han

A gentle soul with a love of making sweets, she is saved from a train molester by our hero and is quickly won over by his manliness.

Makoto Sunakawa
Voiced by: Nobunaga Shimazaki

Takeo's best friend and blessed with the looks of a typical shoujo dude, would probably be the hero in any other series. Has a bad habit of overshadowing our hero's good deeds with his pretty boy looks, fortunately Takeo is as forgiving as he is wise. Also owns in his, uh, own way, especially since Takeo is occasionally not blessed with the brains or common sense.

So, the manga is pretty much a cute and fuzzy romcom starring the guy who by any rights should be a side character but, thrust in to the limelight, is more than capable of carrying the role of hero. There are a few other characters but so far in the translated chapters haven't done a great deal yet, the stand outs being Takeo's family, who I really don't want to say too much about as they pretty much steal any scene they're in and I don't want to ruin anything.

The anime starts on April 8th and by all accounts should be pretty awesome, it's slated to run for 24 episodes, which is twice as much as I expected and will probably cover a good amount, if not all, of the 7 volumes currently released in Japan. It's being
directed by Morio Asaka of Chihayafuru fame and also with a bunch of other people who worked on that adaptation and produced by Madhouse, who seem to be on a bit of a roll lately. There's not a whole lot of screens of the anime version yet, and I'm trying to spoil as little of the manga as possible, so hence the rather bland character portraits.

The manga is being published by Viz in the US and other places and are up to volume 3 with number 4 due out in a couple of months.
Since the show is still a few weeks out there's no details of streaming rights or anything yet (that I'm aware of).

I'd prefer it if manga readers didn't spoil too much for potential anime watchers, so please limit untagged spoilers to 'drat, Takeo is awesome', TIA.

Takeo, as drawn by Araki of Jojo fame!

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

drat, Takeo is awesome.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Monogatari means love story.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
drat, Takeo is awesome.

drat, Takeo is awesome.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Not enough in the OP about how much of a bro Takeo is. That's not really a spoiler because it's shown and proven right as the story starts and stays true for as far as I've read.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whoops, that's true.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Makoto is also awesome. Rinko & Takeo are the sweetest, fluffiest couple and existence and 100% of their problems are caused by being too sweet and too fluffy. When that happens Makoto is there to show that happiness doesn't have to come from being fluffy or sweet, but mostly just involves being true to yourself and others.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hope that Ken in the thread tag doesn't mistake Takeo for a villain :ohdear:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a risk he runs every day.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

yay for romcoms!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

Makoto is also awesome. Rinko & Takeo are the sweetest, fluffiest couple and existence and 100% of their problems are caused by being too sweet and too fluffy. When that happens Makoto is there to show that happiness doesn't have to come from being fluffy or sweet, but mostly just involves being true to yourself and others.

I had no idea who Makoto was until your words described Sunakawa.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm loving awful with names and always copy and paste when I talk about characters.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just started reading the manga on the strength of the glowing recommendations in this thread, and I have not been disappointed. drat, Takeo everyone is awesome.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Bookmarked as heck, here's to seeing how this show lives up to y'all's hype.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I am so excited that this is running for 24 episodes. I need more long-running, good shoujo anime in my life.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

The spring season thread got me pretty hyped about this. Going to anime only this until the two-cour ends.

coathat
May 21, 2007

If you don't buy the manga you'll go to hell.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

:getin:

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic
I started reading the manga awhile ago, it is amazing, anyone whos a sucker for romcom should read it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sound decision-making.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I don't read comic books but I'm sure as hell going to watch the cartoon.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

This is the most hype I have been for an anime in a while.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I haven't actually gotten around to reading the manga, but I'm really exited about this. :)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

I haven't actually gotten around to reading the manga, but I'm really exited about this. :)

coathat posted:

If you don't buy the manga you'll go to hell.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I just want to post a million awesome parts of the manga, but I'll resist. If the direction of the gags in Chihahfuru are any indication, this is going to be a perfect adaptation.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, I missed the part about the same studio as Chihayafuru. That is very promising.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2ZGWRnkdwQ hype

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Rinko's voice does not please me, but Takeo's & Sunokawa's are good. Two out of three ain't bad.

Hype status: still hyped

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Rinko's voice does not please me, but Takeo's & Sunokawa's are good. Two out of three ain't bad.

Hype status: still hyped

i dont have sound at work, but everyone is saying they dont like rinko's voice :smith:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

*in shirobako voice* i feel bad for the actress

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks good, haven't heard any voices yet though, since I'm not busting out a Japanese trailer on my phone in the middle of family dinner.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its really bad though, its way too highly pitched

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably not going to care unless it's literally ear piercing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's high and cutesy, like a mascot character, and makes you feel like you just ate a entire vat of cotton candy. Honestly I think that's super appropriate for Rinko but I get why people don't like it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It could just be those specific lines. Her final one sounds pretty fine.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It would make my life if Rinko's voice started out like this and, as the series went on and she becomes more comfortable around herself and others, becomes something closer to an actual voice.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Isn't the goal to have two of the three characters with voices as standard as possible, making the third amazing?

Success imho.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Looks good, haven't heard any voices yet though, since I'm not busting out a Japanese trailer on my phone in the middle of family dinner.

I question your decision-making.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, it's almost like she's trying to sound like she's deliberately putting on a fake voice, it's kind of weird. Oh well, if that's the only not so great thing, I'm good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

It's a bit weird I guess but everything else looks great so w/e I can deal.

• Locked thread