Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Here's one: Flash adventure game, you play as a ghost, scaring people increases your power which manifests as being able to go to larger areas of the map. Ring any bells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

I've been trying to come across details for an arcade game I played at, of all places, my elementary school. When I was in first grade (1992/1993), my school acquired an arcade cabinet with an anti-smoking/anti-drug game. I don't remember a lot of details about it, but the school had it for a week (sat in each of the two first grade rooms for a couple of days and then was available to play at the PTO carnival that week) and I haven't come across any details of mention of it since. There were 3-4 levels to choose from and one of the levels involved a personified cigarette riding a machine (lawnmower?), but I don't remember any of the other levels or characters.

I've spent years searching for this game and the only indication it actually exists is that a few of my classmates remember playing the game as well, one of them bringing up the cigarette trying to run the protagonist over with a machine of some sort. I've even gone so far as to contact my old school to see if they have any paperwork from that far back, but they weren't able to find anything. I'm unsure whether this cabinet/board was available outside a school trading program.

The thing that frustrates me most about this search is that I went to a fairly small public school in rural Illinois and I refuse to believe my dinky school was the only place this thing went to. I thought maybe it had something to do with D.A.R.E., but I'm not coming up with anything. Likely created in mid/late 1992, possibly early 1993.

The one anti-drug arcade game I really remember is NARC, could that have been it?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

HMS Boromir posted:

Here's one: Flash adventure game, you play as a ghost, scaring people increases your power which manifests as being able to go to larger areas of the map. Ring any bells?

Is it this?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Nope. The game I'm thinking of was mostly (entirely?) outdoors and I think the ghost was more of a black skull-faced drippy deal than a cute li'l Casper-type. If I recall correctly the "scaring people to expand your area of influence" mechanic was only used once or twice, it just stuck with me as a distinctive feature.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

a medical mystery posted:

The one anti-drug arcade game I really remember is NARC, could that have been it?

I came across NARC pretty often in my searches, but that isn't it. NARC is a pretty violent game and, despite its message, I can't imagine my school allowing it to be in a first grade classroom. I don't recall being able to attack enemies other than jumping on them.

I know it wasn't a PC game because my school's only computer was located in the kindergarden class room (an older Apple) and the school didn't put computers in the other rooms until I was in third grade. I'm just going to have to remember to ask old classmates for more details if I ever run into them, since the few details I can remember aren't really leading to anything. It's a frustrating experience to know that this game, without a doubt, existed at once point and there isn't a trace of it I can find on the internet. With the entire game's focus on anti-drug messages, it's surprising how hard it is to find. The entire premise of it was fairly ridiculous and I know the cigarette boss was at least the second or third level because there were only a few kids in the class who could reach that level.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Bloodplay it again posted:

I came across NARC pretty often in my searches, but that isn't it. NARC is a pretty violent game and, despite its message, I can't imagine my school allowing it to be in a first grade classroom. I don't recall being able to attack enemies other than jumping on them.

I know it wasn't a PC game because my school's only computer was located in the kindergarden class room (an older Apple) and the school didn't put computers in the other rooms until I was in third grade. I'm just going to have to remember to ask old classmates for more details if I ever run into them, since the few details I can remember aren't really leading to anything. It's a frustrating experience to know that this game, without a doubt, existed at once point and there isn't a trace of it I can find on the internet. With the entire game's focus on anti-drug messages, it's surprising how hard it is to find. The entire premise of it was fairly ridiculous and I know the cigarette boss was at least the second or third level because there were only a few kids in the class who could reach that level.

Well, be prepared for it to be locally commissioned software with no traceable origin. that's a phrase that describes a lot of things I used to be familiar with.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Got one:

An old, likely dos-era game. It was turn based with two players who are dueling wizards that take turns casting spells and could summon AI-controlled monsters. The maps had terrain simple terrain features, including mirk/murkwood trees that would sometimes eat monsters near them. I played the shareware version where large portions of your spell list were blocked

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 26, 2015

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Here's one:

An old, likely dos-era game. It was turn based with two players who are dueling wizards that take turns casting spells and could summon AI-controlled monsters. The maps had terrain simple terrain features, including mirk/murkwood trees that would sometimes eat monsters near them. I played the shareware version where large portions of your spell list were blocked

Could it be Chaos: The Battle of Wizards?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

No, it's not. I never had a Spectrum and I remember the graphics were almost entirely green, grey and brown, but the design looks so similar that the game I played may have been a clone.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

baram. posted:

it was actually little dudes you controlled and not ships, forgot to mention that part. :negative:

Sounds like it was Infantry Online to me.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
There is some space 4x game with like 25 equally expensive expansions, that I was told was like the spergiest of spergy 4xs. Does anyone have an idea what that is? I cannot figure it out for the life of me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Synnr posted:

There is some space 4x game with like 25 equally expensive expansions, that I was told was like the spergiest of spergy 4xs. Does anyone have an idea what that is? I cannot figure it out for the life of me.

Distant Worlds is probably the spergiest of space 4x games that's 5 years old and still the price of a new game, but it only had 3 expansions and only the "Ultimate" edition on Steam with all the expansions built in.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Synnr posted:

Distant Worlds?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Yeah I thought it might be distant worlds but the website doesn't look like the one I remember seeing. Maybe I'm mixing up the expansion thing with an older game. I distinctly remembered it being some crazy amount of money to buy the full version of the game with all its expansions on a really scrubby looking website.

e; Looking at the expansions for distant worlds shows them like 25-35 dollars, which is what I remember. I'm not sure what I was thinking of with a load of expansions though! Ah well, must be the game I was thinking of.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 26, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Sounds like something Matrix Games would have.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Synnr posted:

Yeah I thought it might be distant worlds but the website doesn't look like the one I remember seeing. Maybe I'm mixing up the expansion thing with an older game. I distinctly remembered it being some crazy amount of money to buy the full version of the game with all its expansions on a really scrubby looking website.

e; Looking at the expansions for distant worlds shows them like 25-35 dollars, which is what I remember. I'm not sure what I was thinking of with a load of expansions though! Ah well, must be the game I was thinking of.

AI Wars?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

No, it's not. I never had a Spectrum and I remember the graphics were almost entirely green, grey and brown, but the design looks so similar that the game I played may have been a clone.

Morkin 2?
Magic and Mayhem?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Game music is within the purview of this thread, right? Because I can't quite place this. 37 seconds in if the timestamp doesn't work.

Also anyone who doesn't know what Dong Dong Never Die is should look at that video because it's amazing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

HMS Boromir posted:

Game music is within the purview of this thread, right? Because I can't quite place this. 37 seconds in if the timestamp doesn't work.

Also anyone who doesn't know what Dong Dong Never Die is should look at that video because it's amazing.

That music's from the caverns in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Lost Painting is the song title.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So an old PC game. It was an RTS where you built your units using two pieces, the gun and the tracks/jets/wheels and had these Commander Units that could laser point the enemy and cause everything to fire at them.

I remember the units being very blueish/black and the terrain was all rocky stuff. Anyone got a clue?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
There we go! Thanks.

Fans posted:

So an old PC game. It was an RTS where you built your units using two pieces, the gun and the tracks/jets/wheels and had these Commander Units that could laser point the enemy and cause everything to fire at them.

I remember the units being very blueish/black and the terrain was all rocky stuff. Anyone got a clue?

Warzone 2100 or Earth 2150?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
nm

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 27, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

HMS Boromir posted:

There we go! Thanks.

Warzone 2100 or Earth 2150?

Warzone 2100 seems to be it, thanks!

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

moller posted:

Morkin 2?
Magic and Mayhem?

It wasn't isomorphic and the graphics for both those games are much too fancy.

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones
This one's for a friend:

"I remember seeing a clip of this game several years ago, during some E3 coverage. A woman was standing next to a monitor and talking to a reporter about it.

It was a collection of Canada-themed mini games (Wario Ware or Mario Party style), with mounties and beavers and other such stereotypical fare. I believe the plot was that a bad guy had stolen the Stanley Cup. I seem to remember there was a log-rolling segment where a fast remix of the “Log Driver’s Waltz” played in the background. It seemed quite low budget. I have no idea if it was actually made or not."

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I remember a game from primary school (about 2001 or so) that I could never beat and I want to give it another go.

It was a top down RPG like game where you climbed a tower to defeat some big baddy. You started with awesome gear, but you get caught in a trap and have to start from nothing. The battles were deterministic, enemies had strength and defence and you'd take damage equal to something like damage-defence. There may have been a third stat, but I don't remember. You also pick up loot and money and use it to buy better stats. The graphics reminded me of an RPG Maker game.

It was really hard, and I could never get past the first couple of floors.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
This one shouldn't be too hard, I almost remember the name.

It's something like "Dr ...... Madcap Race" and is a game where you're on a Cannonball Race around the world to get to places and then get home, with dice to move and a Mario 2 like world grid to move across. Some colored tiles give good things, some bad and you can sabotage the other players cars or send the Dr after them, who randomly roams the world punishing anyone the touch (Or maybe you can move him yourself somehow? I forget!)

The winner is the one to get back first. Or the one with the most money? I forget.

The Dr starts off on a bike, then upgrades to a faster car as the race goes on before finally ending in a Zeppelin.

Also for a much harder one. There's an old Commodore game where you fly a plane and bomb ships. It's all on one screen (No scrolling if you reach the edge) and has a 2D platformer view, you dive and drop bombs to blow holes in the ships until they all sink, all while dodging planes trying to shoot you down. It had a 2 player local co-op which is why I remember it so fondly.

Finally a PC Game which was a top down RTS on a city, where you were a mobster and had to set up businesses hidden from the cops, scare locals into paying you money and fight other mobs. You sent your men out to do tasks and they'd eventually come back after a good while. I remember you could bomb restaurants to make people fear you and it was pretty slow paced. It might have literally been called Gangsters, but I can't find it.

Fans fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 1, 2015

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
There was some game on the PS1 where you had multi colored balls with different faces/personalities and the gameplay was kind of like pinball but not? It was sort of a puzzle game I think.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
That sounds like Madballs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madballs

Except I don't think it was ever on the PS1. I remember playing the 8bit game of it on the Spectrum though and it sounds exactly like what you describe.

Is that it?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fans posted:

Finally a PC Game which was a top down RTS on a city, where you were a mobster and had to set up businesses hidden from the cops, scare locals into paying you money and fight other mobs. You sent your men out to do tasks and they'd eventually come back after a good while. I remember you could bomb restaurants to make people fear you and it was pretty slow paced. It might have literally been called Gangsters, but I can't find it.

It's literally called Gangsters.,

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fans posted:

a PC Game which was a top down RTS on a city, where you were a mobster and had to set up businesses hidden from the cops, scare locals into paying you money and fight other mobs. You sent your men out to do tasks and they'd eventually come back after a good while. I remember you could bomb restaurants to make people fear you and it was pretty slow paced. It might have literally been called Gangsters, but I can't find it.

There was a 2001 game called Gangsters: Organized Crime. It's either that or Omerta: City of Gangsters

Edit: goddamn it

Fans posted:

Also for a much harder one. There's an old Commodore game where you fly a plane and bomb ships. It's all on one screen (No scrolling if you reach the edge) and has a 2D platformer view, you dive and drop bombs to blow holes in the ships until they all sink, all while dodging planes trying to shoot you down. It had a 2 player local co-op which is why I remember it so fondly.

The Island of Dr. Destructo?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 1, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Hah! I already knew the name of the Gangsters game then.

Hakkesshu posted:

The Island of Dr. Destructo?

Yes! This is the one, thanks very much.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also your first game is presumably Dr. Drago's Madcap Chase

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Hakkesshu posted:

Also your first game is presumably Dr. Drago's Madcap Chase

Yep! That's a full set, thanks very much!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Fans posted:

That sounds like Madballs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madballs

Except I don't think it was ever on the PS1. I remember playing the 8bit game of it on the Spectrum though and it sounds exactly like what you describe.

Is that it?

Nope :(

I know it was ps1/n64 era the only thing I remember was the hot pink ball was a chick.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

A. Beaverhausen posted:

There was some game on the PS1 where you had multi colored balls with different faces/personalities and the gameplay was kind of like pinball but not? It was sort of a puzzle game I think.

Maybe iggys reckin balls?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

Maybe iggys reckin balls?

I'll be damned, that's it!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Trying to think of a recent-ish CRPG. It had a very Ultima VII look to it. That's about all I remember. :v: Well that and it offered a demo on the game's website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Trying to think of a recent-ish CRPG. It had a very Ultima VII look to it. That's about all I remember. :v: Well that and it offered a demo on the game's website.

Maybe something from Spiderweb Software. They made a bunch of games like that.