Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I would if I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

oohhboy posted:

Oh dear, I was hoping at least it was stupid fun. If Arnold couldn't save it :rip:. Really worse than Salvation?

It is stupid fun, we laughed our asses off at every line Arnold speaks. Rest of the movie is garbage though

Kinda weird how the movie is in cinemas in Europe but not yet in US

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's gotta be better than T4 by virtue of having Arnold. T4 didn't do much with Bale.

Noah was a pleasant surprise, as someone who knows nothing about the biblical story beyond two of every animal. I had very low expectations, though. It had some great spectacle. Hoping Exodus: Gods & Kings might be similarly unexpected entertainment.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Firstborn posted:

I would if I could.

Oh, but you can!

http://www.omaze.com/experiences/arnold-schwarzenegger-2

Should probably be a Goon charity drive thing so that the charity gets flooded with money.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Electromax posted:

Noah was a pleasant surprise, as someone who knows nothing about the biblical story beyond two of every animal. I had very low expectations, though. It had some great spectacle. Hoping Exodus: Gods & Kings might be similarly unexpected entertainment.

I have read the biblical story up and down and I thought Noah was pretty dope. They even kept the part where drunken Noah lies on the beach all passed out and naked, what else could people want out of a movie?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

I have read the biblical story up and down and I thought Noah was pretty dope. They even kept the part where drunken Noah lies on the beach all passed out and naked, what else could people want out of a movie?

They didn't explicitly show incest and justification of racism/slavery. That's why christians didn't like it AFAIK.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grendels Dad posted:

Mostly the parts about Noah wanting all of humanity to die. Also some people got pissed off by the environmental message ("We must protect the animals...because they are without sin").

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

That was more of a rhetorical question, I'm sadly aware of the reasons crazy people could possibly dislike a movie like Noah. But thanks nonetheless.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wait, the talking rock monster part of Noah is real? I thought that was something CD made up to trick people into going to see it!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rhyno posted:

Wait, the talking rock monster part of Noah is real? I thought that was something CD made up to trick people into going to see it!

All the batshit stuff about Noah is entirely real.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WarLocke posted:

All the batshit stuff about Noah is entirely real.

poo poo, now I need to watch it.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Rhyno posted:

poo poo, now I need to watch it.

You really do. It's s beautiful film, watch it on blu ray if you can.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Noah is rad as gently caress!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kush posted:

I think the biggest reason they are hiding him from any promos is because MEGASPOILERS he is playing Skynet and it is really difficult to cut material for the trailer without spoiling that. Having just seen the film, I am surprised how much I didn't hate it. I went in kind of wanting to laugh at how bad it would be, but it was actually quite interesting and funny. The third act is your usual cgi-shitfest like everything else these days, but the first half is good enough to sit through the rest. Yes, Jai Courtney is still a generic dude v2 (but has probably the funniest lines and delivers them on point), and the timelines and scifi-jargon is so messy that turning off your brain is required (for real, not in a "it's a lovely movie, have fun" way), otherwise you'd die trying to think it through.
Arnold's performance wasn't as "robotic" as it used to be (you could say that's due to his character's time spent among people learning how to act, but it doesn't explain why he still can't smile without looking like a retard) and he was basically the comic relief of the movie most of the time. Some people will hate this film for whatever reasons, but I'm glad that they basically went "gently caress it" and floored it. It's kind of like Jurassic World in how they are referencing the originals but still trying something new, expect this doesn't feel so cynical and meh. That's why people are probably going to either really like it or hate it. It's kind of batshit crazy.
For example: The main characters get arrested in the middle of the day/afternoon but the film suddenly cuts to night (still on the same location) only to have a Cops (bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do?) reference/parody out of nowhere. That happens, among other things.
Haven't seen Jurassic World yet, but yeah I could see a lot of love or (...probably mostly) hate coming from the callbacks and messing with all that. In any case I liked it, although I'm curious how it'll go with people that haven't seen the other movies and have no frame of reference for that stuff.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rhyno posted:

Basically Fallen Angels that taught humanity a bunch of Science and Art while Noah and Methuselah (Anthony Hopkins!) are wizards.

They end up regretting this and some of them help Noah and his family build the Ark.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Wade Wilson posted:

Basically Fallen Angels that taught humanity a bunch of Science and Art while Noah and Methuselah (Anthony Hopkins!) are wizards.

They end up regretting this and some of them help Noah and his family build the Ark.

Its not that they are wizards, but the are not many generations away from Adam and Eve, and still have some kind of essence of the creator within them, and they were still extremely long lived. Methuselah lives to nearly 1000 years old I believe,. Notice how Adam and Eve were shining beings when first created?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wade Wilson posted:

Oh, but you can!

http://www.omaze.com/experiences/arnold-schwarzenegger-2

Should probably be a Goon charity drive thing so that the charity gets flooded with money.

Yeah that was the point, probably should've included that. In other news,

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Arnold loving owns.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I would've gone with, "gently caress you. rear end in a top hat." but whatever.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Would kind of ring a lot less hollow if Arnold wasn't a guy who, you know, was a prominent member of a political organization that has 'gently caress gays' and 'deny gays the right to marry' as two of its core tenants.

That said, this movie looks like a goddamn disaster. Emilia Clarke cannot act, the CGI in all the footage released so far looks laughable, and the plot sounds absolutely bonkers.
I'm sad that I now live in a world where lovely Terminator films outnnumber the good Terminator films.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
T3 was a good movie it just suffers by comparison to T1 and T2.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Stugazi posted:

T3 was a good movie it just suffers by comparison to T1 and T2.

Better than T1, it's just that T1 really shows its age. When every gun store sold mini guns

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Would kind of ring a lot less hollow if Arnold wasn't a guy who, you know, was a prominent member of a political organization that has 'gently caress gays' and 'deny gays the right to marry' as two of its core tenants.

"People can't change their mind, if they do my black and white view on the world crumbles!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

Better than T1, it's just that T1 really shows its age. When every gun store sold mini guns

You're getting your Arnold movies mixed up.

Sort of.

Arnold never got a minigun in the 80s, only in T2, and that was specifically stolen military stuff that Sarah had been stockpiling across the border.

All of the weapons Arnold stole in T1 from the store are pretty legit and make sense, not even that dated for nowadays outside of letting him anywhere near them without payment first. Of course he could have just killed the Clerk with his bare hands so that's not an issue.

The movie you're thinking of was Commando where Arnie stole a rocket launcher and a bunch of machine guns from a gun store that had a secret military surplus thing in the back for some dumb amazing reason.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

[...] 'gently caress gays' and 'deny gays the right to marry' as two of its core tenants.

I want to make a joke about premarital sex but it's not coming together so screw it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

computer parts posted:

"People can't change their mind, if they do my black and white view on the world crumbles!"

Such as when Arnold publicly renounced his having been affiliated with the GOP? Like dude wasn't just a Republican voter, he was a member of the political organization. You don't get to be a member of a hate group and then suddenly have people act like you're a better person now without, you know, actually making an apology or more than the most basic of token gestures?
I'm sorry you think it's a black and white view of the world that I hold someone responsible for having affiliated themselves with an organization which sought, and in many cases still does, to deny human beings basic rights due to their sexual orientation?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Such as when Arnold publicly renounced his having been affiliated with the GOP? Like dude wasn't just a Republican voter, he was a member of the political organization. You don't get to be a member of a hate group and then suddenly have people act like you're a better person now without, you know, actually making an apology or more than the most basic of token gestures?
I'm sorry you think it's a black and white view of the world that I hold someone responsible for having affiliated themselves with an organization which sought, and in many cases still does, to deny human beings basic rights due to their sexual orientation?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/03/arnold-schawrzenegger-indiana_n_6999766.html

Also he specifically opposed Prop 8 http://articles.latimes.com/2008/nov/10/local/me-protest10

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

I stand corrected, apologies. I wasn't aware he had. Wish I had heard more about it when it was relevant. He's cool again in my book. Sorry.
Still stand by this movie looking godawful though. And the casting of Emilia Clarke is just baffling.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I stand corrected, apologies. I wasn't aware he had. Wish I had heard more about it when it was relevant. He's cool again in my book. Sorry.
Still stand by this movie looking godawful though. And the casting of Emilia Clarke is just baffling.

Arnold's great. He's a flawed man, but he owns up to his faults and admits when he's wrong.

Also the entire reason why they got her was because she's hot nerd bait that hasn't been in any major movies like this yet but is part of the super popular GoT series so onwards and forwards to exploiting that nerd dollar.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
But GoT has other actresses who are attractive and who, unlike Emilia, are good or at least decent actresses. Hell, Lena Heady already played Sarah Conner and did a good job of it.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Burkion posted:

You're getting your Arnold movies mixed up.

Sort of.

Arnold never got a minigun in the 80s, only in T2, and that was specifically stolen military stuff that Sarah had been stockpiling across the border.

All of the weapons Arnold stole in T1 from the store are pretty legit and make sense, not even that dated for nowadays outside of letting him anywhere near them without payment first. Of course he could have just killed the Clerk with his bare hands so that's not an issue.

The movie you're thinking of was Commando where Arnie stole a rocket launcher and a bunch of machine guns from a gun store that had a secret military surplus thing in the back for some dumb amazing reason.

He couldn't even get a plasma rifle in T1.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

But GoT has other actresses who are attractive and who, unlike Emilia, are good or at least decent actresses. Hell, Lena Heady already played Sarah Conner and did a good job of it.

Yeah but she's the *BIG* one from GoT. She's the one I know the most about despite never watching the show, just because she's the one that gets brought up the most.

I'm honestly shocked they didn't have her have white hair for whatever reason in the movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Please go back to DnD, were trying to talk about time traveling robotic assassins here.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dunno if it's legit or not, but the Wikipedia page for Genisys has a very extensive plot synopsis for the movie if people are looking to spoil themselves silly.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Burkion posted:

The only real issue with the gun store scene is that the AR-18 and the Uzi would be of the semi-automatic variety, as well as the Uzi only being sold with a 16 inch barrel because it was a rifle due to ATF regs, but I think it's implied that the Terminator could have modified them for full-automatic fire. Of course, the only thing that would really date it is that there's a gun store in Los Angeles, because between the first film and today, California now has the strictest gun control.

Burkion posted:

That always got me, too. It's never explained why the military surplus store has this secret arsenal of military weapons or how John Matrix knows about it. My only guess is that it was a front for one of his war buddies who get executed at the beginning of the movie. It always made me wonder if any military surplus store had a hidden cache of guns instead of just camo clothes, MREs, and various doohickeys.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
With a name like John Matrix, what could you not expect.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Young Freud posted:

It always made me wonder if any military surplus store had a hidden cache of guns instead of just camo clothes, MREs, and various doohickeys.
According to the documentary Falling Down, yes. Might even score some Zyklon-B!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

david_a posted:

According to the documentary Falling Down, yes. Might even score some Zyklon-B!

In falling down, he got most of his guns from the gang members.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

In falling down, he got most of his guns from the gang members.

But he got the LAW rocket from the surplus store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Young Freud posted:

The only real issue with the gun store scene is that the AR-18 and the Uzi would be of the semi-automatic variety, as well as the Uzi only being sold with a 16 inch barrel because it was a rifle due to ATF regs, but I think it's implied that the Terminator could have modified them for full-automatic fire. Of course, the only thing that would really date it is that there's a gun store in Los Angeles, because between the first film and today, California now has the strictest gun control.

That always got me, too. It's never explained why the military surplus store has this secret arsenal of military weapons or how John Matrix knows about it. My only guess is that it was a front for one of his war buddies who get executed at the beginning of the movie. It always made me wonder if any military surplus store had a hidden cache of guns instead of just camo clothes, MREs, and various doohickeys.
"Dating" 'The Terminator' seems silly when it's literally meant to take place at a particular point in time (May 12th, 1984).

• Locked thread