Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Totalizator posted:

And you think it's the ban that did this, and not widespread global consensus that Nazis were one of the worst movements in human history. Most nations in the world don't have an explicit nazi imagery ban, surely they must be priming their ovens for the new Roma batch as we speak. And when in 20 years Germany decides they're pretty much done with the muslim minority and start a push for opressing them on the state level, surely it will be the ban that will stop them from putting them in camps rather then having historical knowledge of what happened last time.

Thank god we've got that ban, these German folks sure sound like a violent bunch. If it wasn't for that, and the widespread persecution that they would face, then they would be shoveling Roma and Muslims into the ovens as we speak?

Are you absolutely certain this is the case? Because they're kind of a big deal in the EU and I'd hate to think of what might happen if they had the political, social and economy might to ignore any opposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Totalizator posted:

Banning symbols because people are offended by them has always worked and never, ever backfired. I mean, just two days ago we finally succeeded in ending racism because now that the racist flag is banned people have stopped being racist, and not at all became more radicalized and insular in their racism. I mean look at europe: nazi imagery is banned in many countries and these countries have no problem with neo-nazis whatsoever (suing them when caught is totally working) and the right wing in places like hungary totally isn't facist now that they can't use the swastika.
There are other reasons to ban symbols than for purely utilitarian reasons. Taking the flag down is, in my eyes (and I have green eyes FWIW), more a sign of respect for the dead, who were killed by someone (metaphorically) waving that flag, than an attempt of stopping the next racist murder. Making the swastika, and denying the holocaust, illegal in just the very countries who are the most to blame for murdering at least 5.9 million Jews is a sign of respect for these 5.9 million dead, and their surviving relatives.

There is an equivalent argument in the feminist case; men were in charge for literally all of history, and even though no female feminist will ever say that, maybe, speaking as a man, something in addition to equality is in order: humility.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

NightVis posted:

Yeah I think "Hastily assembled thinkpiece" sums up my thoughts a lot better than whatever graveyard-shift enabled flailing I was getting at there. I felt he did a bit of grandstanding for clicks, which while I understand is the nature of the business these days does rub me the wrong way. The Disco piece was good, even though I don't agree entirely with all his assertations, it was well-researched and did put together a comprehensive picture of the point he was trying to make.

I disagree with you on the "taking things to extremes" side though. From my experience online and off, more often than not you're forced to "pick a side" whole cloth. In this example either DQ was simply mentioned in a list, or they had full banners all over Kotaku. Neither of these are accurate but somewhere within the tribalism this has generated there really isn't much room for accuracy.
It's a low bar but yeah I don't expect that much out of anything written real quickly after a major news event to capitalize on the discussion surrounding said event. I mean he didn't jump immediately to gun control!!! or some similar liberal shibboleth? Well that's not bad then.

I just don't know why you're forced to pick a side out of whole cloth though. I mean this isn't the 2-party American Electoral System, you don't have to pick from the Democrat or the Republican candidate (effectively). If you're posting on GamerGhazi to concern troll them yeah you pretend to be one of them, and if you're posting on KotakuInAction to concern troll them you pretend to be one of them too. I don't consider doing either to be a big deal.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

NightVis posted:

Given your responses I've got some serious doubts about your good faith.

I guess that's a much easier response than actually explaining what your point is.

Let me try to break down my problems with what you've said.

You said:

quote:

Things are so polarized that people who curse themselves by paying half an ounce of attention to this are almost given a lovely choice where acknowledging t the "rain wet, sun will rise" fact that channers and MRAs are human garbage has to come with statements like "Revolution 60 was good" "Phil Fish is a good guy" and "Arthur Chu, helluva writer"

I've paid a half ounce of attention to this. I think channers and MRAs are human garbage and the gamergaters in general are laughable shitheads. I have never been forced to assert, agree with, or even heard the statements that Revolution 60 was good or Phil Fish is a good guy or that Arthur Chu is a hell of a writer, though I guess now someone has said that he is an okay writer.

So your first assertion seems bafflingly sweeping and I can immediately, from personal experience, say it's untrue.

I then don't really understand anywhere else you've gone from there. I am assuming that, rather than your thoughts being bad, you've just written unclearly and I'm asking you to clarify what you're saying because a naive reading of it is just that you're wrong.

Does this help?

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Obdicut posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about. Do you think i'm someone else or something? In what way I'm I forcing my views on anyone? Who is forcing their views on anyone?

I'm talking about this guy http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727984&pagenumber=56&perpage=40#post447081657 now I'm pretty sure (I hope) he's a troll but this kind of view is parroted by real people who also style themselves as the vanguard and thought-police of the left.

Rollofthedice posted:

edit: Western society still holds significant traces of values the Romans imposed on its citizens. How can you look at the Capitol Building and deny that social conditioning affects history?

Yes, people have generally took the good and respectable things from the past and shed the bad and harmful ideas. Which is why racism and sexism, in their traditional meaning, are widely considered bad because most sane people agree that there is literally no reason to shun or oppress people because of their gender or skin color. Enforcing social conditioning through laws every time throughout history has bred resentment and was usually harmful to both the ideology and society at large. The people advocating for it on social media sites are no different to me then the moral panic Christians from a couple decades ago, communists in eastern europe 60 years ago and so on.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Cingulate posted:

There are other reasons to ban symbols than for purely utilitarian reasons. Taking the flag down is, in my eyes (and I have green eyes FWIW), more a sign of respect for the dead, who were killed by someone (metaphorically) waving that flag, than an attempt of stopping the next racist murder. Making the swastika, and denying the holocaust, illegal in just the very countries who are the most to blame for murdering at least 5.9 million Jews is a sign of respect for these 5.9 million dead, and their surviving relatives.

There is an equivalent argument in the feminist case; men were in charge for literally all of history, and even though no female feminist will ever say that, maybe, speaking as a man, something in addition to equality is in order: humility.

You are 150 years too late for that though

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Totalizator posted:

I'm talking about this guy http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727984&pagenumber=56&perpage=40#post447081657 now I'm pretty sure (I hope) he's a troll but this kind of view is parroted by real people who also style themselves as the vanguard and thought-police of the left.

Okay do you have some sort of problem where you can't tell that I'm not him?

Also, do you understand we haven't banned the confederate flag?

quote:

Which is why racism and sexism, in their traditional meaning, are widely considered bad because most sane people agree that there is literally no reason to shun or oppress people because of their gender or skin color.

Racism and sexism are considered good by a lot of people too, though. For example, women wanting to be front-line combatants is still a huge loving deal in 2015 in the US, and the GOP is racist as gently caress. In Europe, being totally racist towards the Roma is still mainstream in most places.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Pro-tip: Thought Police do not exist. We do not live in a Big Brother style scenario where people can literally read the minutiae of your thoughts via the powers of science, or just highly sophisticated human lie detectors who can sense dissent through the involuntary twitch of a single muscle.

Your thoughts are your own. They always will be. Nobody can ever take them away from you. If you want to believe there's a vast jewish Marxist conspiracy to destroy the world, that's your own business. If every time you see a woman or a black person you are instantly filled with thoughts of revulsion and disgust then that's very unfortunate, but that's your right. What people will object to, however, is you applying those beliefs in a way that causes distress or harm to other people.

If you make stupid, bigoted statements you should be ready to justify them because people will take issue with them and they will call you out on it. They have as much right to make their thoughts known as you do.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Cardboard Box A posted:

I just don't know why you're forced to pick a side out of whole cloth though. I mean this isn't the 2-party American Electoral System, you don't have to pick from the Democrat or the Republican candidate (effectively). If you're posting on GamerGhazi to concern troll them yeah you pretend to be one of them, and if you're posting on KotakuInAction to concern troll them you pretend to be one of them too. I don't consider doing either to be a big deal.

Obdicut posted:

I guess that's a much easier response than actually explaining what your point is.

Let me try to break down my problems with what you've said.

You said:

I've paid a half ounce of attention to this. I think channers and MRAs are human garbage and the gamergaters in general are laughable shitheads. I have never been forced to assert, agree with, or even heard the statements that Revolution 60 was good or Phil Fish is a good guy or that Arthur Chu is a hell of a writer, though I guess now someone has said that he is an okay writer.

So your first assertion seems bafflingly sweeping and I can immediately, from personal experience, say it's untrue.

I then don't really understand anywhere else you've gone from there. I am assuming that, rather than your thoughts being bad, you've just written unclearly and I'm asking you to clarify what you're saying because a naive reading of it is just that you're wrong.

Does this help?

Actually, yes, doubts allayed.

In my personal experience, it has become that kind of polarized. I've been accused of being a gater for expressing an opinion on indie gaming that didn't even evoke anything about social issues (if you're curious, I applauded Steam refunds specifically mentioning that terrible indie devs will go out of business and clear some of the chaff in the industry). I have encountered conversations where thinking Phil Fish is a lovely guy made you into one of "them". I've watched Chu be lionized by people because he's on the "right" side in spite of his litany of dumb tweets and (again, my opinion) hacky thinkpieces. I've been in some heated discussions on the merits of the GG targets as developers that completely lacked nuance in every way. I do tend to run with a hard-left crowd, so I'm willing to entertain the notion that it's political disillusionment on my part that's driving some of my distaste. Most of all though, I'm not really seeing any balanced accounts of what's going on here in any press whatsoever (outside of say, Popehat who's a libertarian so you can imagine I have a problem with agreeing with him). Actual discussion about the state of indie gaming (a subject I'm a huge sperg about because I'm really into it) has become an absolute minefield and the well has been poisoned. There's bad faith on every side of this, which is really like a microcosm of a lot of ways the left (particularly online) has been operating in the last couple years.

That may not be as coherent or eloquent as you liked, but that's about all I can manage at this time.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Obdicut posted:

Racism and sexism are considered good by a lot of people too, though. For example, women wanting to be front-line combatants is still a huge loving deal in 2015 in the US, and the GOP is racist as gently caress. In Europe, being totally racist towards the Roma is still mainstream in most places.

As an European I can weigh in on the Roma debate. Currently in Europe there is no state-sanctioned oppression against the Roma and harassing them would be persecuted as a hate crime. Unfortunately the Roma communities do not wish to engage or integrate with society at large despite efforts being made on the state level to do so, and their culture is permissive of things most Europeans think is bad such as child marriage and thieving. People who speak out about this are considered racists by the left because a white person raising a concern about a non-white culture is considered inherently racist by the modern left. This approach has convinced a lot of people that the left is irrational and retarded, because pretending these problems don't exist has not made them go away, and has not made the Roma or their status improve in any way. You'd need to pour vast amounts of funding for education, subsidies and so on to even start making a difference but the problem is Europeans don't want to spend that money and the Roma community isn't reaching out for this type of help as well. I have no good solution to this problem but clearly trying to condition people on the state level on this has failed miserably thus far, and bred even more resentment towards the Roma from people I know.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hadaka Apron posted:

It really was a non-issue, it's just that the fact that Zoe managed to get thousands of comments on reddit deleted made it look like she was massively influential, and that just played into Eron's hands. Trying to silence people on the internet just doesn't work.

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

The Quinn situation was entirely the Streisand Effect. IIRC some idiots on reddit were discussing it and suddenly some 10,000 comments were mass deleted, supposedly because Quinn had a guy on the inside. I think it happened on other forums too? Iunno but it was a dumb thing to do.

Kinda like Warner Bros. ceasing production of the Dukes' General Lee merchandise because of a certain flag :mad:

The Droid posted:

"Rumors that she was a slut" and "Accusations that she had emotionally abused and manipulated him throughout their relationship" are two different things. It became an internet crusade largely because various websites tried to shut down all discussion of the matter (SA, where it was originally posted, for instance) for one reason or another which caused people to freak out even more than they ever would have otherwise.

The Droid posted:

I edited the post because really that point is irrelevant to the fact that places like the Escapist and neogaf and various subreddits tried to shut down the subject entirely early on which resulted in a massive backlash.

Hadaka Apron posted:

Yeah, but one of the sites where this got censored was reddit, which dragged its feet forever over deleting a subreddit called "jailbait" where people posted creepy pictures of underage girls. It looked kind of suspicious for reddit to be so active at deleting comments about Zoe when they had been so bad about deleting the jailbait stuff.

Here's a post where 20,000 comments were removed:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2dz0gs/totalbiscuit_discusses_the_state_of_games/

It's a textbook case of the Streisand effect.

turnways posted:

No, the people who introduced harassment into it were wrong and trying to justify their lovely behavior. How it really began was, some stupid, misguided, arguably creepy fella decided to call his z-list ex out for lovely behavior and took it a few steps too far in the evidence department, though taking pains to mention he didn't think the people she slept with had an effect on her career. Said ex contacted or was contacted by Reddit admins who began deleting without notice all discussion on it. People took issue with having their poo poo deleted and began trying to find out what the connection was. Conspiracy lines were drawn, some false, a few semi-true, most completely blown out of proportion. Huge shitfit with the gaming press. Cue Streissand effect and nearly a year later here we are.

Gianthogweed posted:

It's a bit more complicated than that. I only found out about all of this this passed winter so I missed it when it was actually going on, but it turns out thezoepost started right here on this very forum. Both Zoe Quinn and Eron Gjoni were goons. Eron Gjoni was a feminist, believe it or not, and wrote the post with the encouragement of his friend Rachel M. (also a feminist). In feminist and tumblr circles you're encouraged to "call out" people who have been abusive towards you publicly so that others will avoid the abuser. The problem was that, in this case, the abuser was a woman (Zoe Quinn), and the victim was man (Eron Gjoni), so things went rather differently than planned ...

Here's the story of how the theZoePost was written:
https://medium.com/@srachel_m/gamergate-launched-in-my-apartment-and-internet-im-sorry-not-that-sorry-13e5650fd172

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=211605
Thread deletion, and Eron Gjoni's leper's colony banning.

And here's the actual zoepost
https://thezoepost.wordpress.com/

Zoe Quinn's harassment probably would not have happened had it not been for the Streisand effect. Because so many forums and websites tried to censor the discussion of the sex scandal it blew up. Not only was the Kotaku corruption uncovered and blown out of proportion, but she got doxxed and they found out about her attempts to sabotage the Fine Young Capitalists "Women Making Video Games For Charity" campaign. She became the target of 4chan's ugliest elements. This is why gamergate became known as a harassment campaign.
This comes up a lot even to this day, that it was unbelievable that such a FREE SPEECH place like reddit would delete SO MANY posts, clearly they were trying to cover something up! And that a moderator would contact the person people were attempting to doxx, well that just means Zoe must have known the r/gaming moderation team beforehand, or possibly *gasp* slept with them! I mean they kept horrible subreddits like r/jailbait going so long, that just demonstrates how comitted reddit was to free speech!

But there's one thing missing from this picture and it's that the one kind of speech reddit absolutely will crack down on with the fury of a thousand suns, it's doxxing. Don't believe me? Back when r/jailbait moderator violentacrez was outed by goons and doxxed by Gawker (yes Gawker), reddit responded by not only deleting all links to the article but quickly autodeleted every new link posted to any gawker article. THAT's how committed they were. So you better believe that when people start posting personal info, the mods and admins will go nuclear on it, even to the point of autodeleting every new post that even mentions her.

Same goes for 4chan as well. Mass thread deletions fly fast and furious once there's a concerted effort to keep posting someone's personal info, even if it appears to be a mostly trolls posting incorrect info.

I can understand people not knowing this at the time, and the feeling as if there were some grand conspiracy to suppress THE TRUTH must have been great - at the time. However, at this point, it's just willfull ignorance to cling to these notions of "that's how it went down/the STREISAND EFFECT created this mess."

Same goes for The Fine Young Capitalists, which turned out to be a lot different than the original heated twitter exchange made it sound.

http://imgur.com/a/KEtcp (lots of white boxes but sadly no red arrows everywhere)

Prav posted:

I mean I wouldn't have given a gently caress if it wasn't for most videogame-related sites I visit more or less at once starting to ban people for talking about it. But they did. Apparently it wasn't a permitted topic. hosed up.
I think you can perfectly well understand why videogame websites weren't exactly jumping on salacious gossip and rumors of affairs spread by an ex, no matter how believable it may have seemed to the average "STREISAND EFFECT!!!" redditor. See:

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 27, 2015

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ddraig posted:

If you make stupid, bigoted statements you should be ready to justify them because people will take issue with them and they will call you out on it. They have as much right to make their thoughts known as you do.

That is fine and reasonable. What bothers people is that the definition of bigoted has been stretched so thin that well-intentioned people have gotten an undue amount of harassment, up to and including losing their jobs and getting doxxed over minor slights (or as the neo puritans like to call them, microaggressions). People who aren't racist and MRA's got dogpiled because they used the wrong word or had the wrong shirt by a community of perpetually offended mostly white guys (and to be fair, if these were perpetually offended actual women or minorities I would consider their offense only slightly more credible). And people who defended those attacked get dragged through the mud along with them. This is the thought police, because if I'm at risk of getting my life destroyed because I said something that's not fully up-to-date with leftist thought on twitter then I don't care if it's the state does that or crazy internet fuckwits. End result is the same.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

NightVis posted:

Actually, yes, doubts allayed.

In my personal experience, it has become that kind of polarized. I've been accused of being a gater for expressing an opinion on indie gaming that didn't even evoke anything about social issues (if you're curious, I applauded Steam refunds specifically mentioning that terrible indie devs will go out of business and clear some of the chaff in the industry). I have encountered conversations where thinking Phil Fish is a lovely guy made you into one of "them". I've watched Chu be lionized by people because he's on the "right" side in spite of his litany of dumb tweets and (again, my opinion) hacky thinkpieces. I've been in some heated discussions on the merits of the GG targets as developers that completely lacked nuance in every way. I do tend to run with a hard-left crowd, so I'm willing to entertain the notion that it's political disillusionment on my part that's driving some of my distaste. Most of all though, I'm not really seeing any balanced accounts of what's going on here in any press whatsoever (outside of say, Popehat who's a libertarian so you can imagine I have a problem with agreeing with him). Actual discussion about the state of indie gaming (a subject I'm a huge sperg about because I'm really into it) has become an absolute minefield and the well has been poisoned. There's bad faith on every side of this, which is really like a microcosm of a lot of ways the left (particularly online) has been operating in the last couple years.

That may not be as coherent or eloquent as you liked, but that's about all I can manage at this time.
No, that's fair, and more than eloquent enough to get your point across. Like a lot of things surrounding this mess, it depends a lot on who you're in contact with and and what circles you run in, I get it. Some people will give you a hard time for being either a MRA gamergater or a social justice nazi and while yeah you just can't win with everyone, it's harder if they're someone you know. I think it's good that we can share bits and pieces of our experiences and perspectives and come to a better understanding.

Since I don't really engage sincerely with most of twitter or reddit (and certainly not the chans) I've been fortunate enough to avoid the brunt of all the poo poo that can easily come down on you on social media, and it's mostly been videogame friends who have asked me about this or that or how this thing started and I tell them what I know, but I've never worried that they're really gamergaters and they've never called me one. Since they're all gamer types too I can sympathize with those who don't like how gaming is changing and can see how easy it could be to believe how outside corrupting influences are responsible, especially if you already take 2 or 3 of the core assumptions of gamergate for granted without even realizing it (lots of gamers do, it's pretty common).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Totalizator posted:

As an European I can weigh in on the Roma debate.

Speaking as a fellow European, gently caress you. The Roma faces discrimination and harassment all the time and the only government outreach I have heard of that's aimed towards them were forced sterilization.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Totalizator posted:

That is fine and reasonable. What bothers people is that the definition of bigoted has been stretched so thin that well-intentioned people have gotten an undue amount of harassment, up to and including losing their jobs and getting doxxed over minor slights (or as the neo puritans like to call them, microaggressions). People who aren't racist and MRA's got dogpiled because they used the wrong word or had the wrong shirt by a community of perpetually offended mostly white guys (and to be fair, if these were perpetually offended actual women or minorities I would consider their offense only slightly more credible). And people who defended those attacked get dragged through the mud along with them. This is the thought police, because if I'm at risk of getting my life destroyed because I said something that's not fully up-to-date with leftist thought on twitter then I don't care if it's the state does that or crazy internet fuckwits. End result is the same.
Yeah as another "European", I really get what you're trying to go for here, but this makes you sound like a huge racist.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Alhazred posted:

Speaking as a fellow European, gently caress you. The Roma faces discrimination and harassment all the time and the only government outreach I have heard of that's aimed towards them were forced sterilization.

The Roma are facing discrimination and harassment but there are inherent cultural problems that makes integrating them into society difficult. These statements are not mutually exclusive, and acting as if they are is part of the problem. Also they have been given government housing in many countries and I'm personally aware outreach programs as well as volunteer organizations exist to help them. Which is a good thing and I'm not sure how pretending they aren't a thing helps anyone.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Also to come back to this for a bit:

Gianthogweed posted:

It's a bit more complicated than that. I only found out about all of this this passed winter so I missed it when it was actually going on, but it turns out thezoepost started right here on this very forum. Both Zoe Quinn and Eron Gjoni were goons. Eron Gjoni was a feminist, believe it or not, and wrote the post with the encouragement of his friend Rachel M. (also a feminist). In feminist and tumblr circles you're encouraged to "call out" people who have been abusive towards you publicly so that others will avoid the abuser. The problem was that, in this case, the abuser was a woman (Zoe Quinn), and the victim was man (Eron Gjoni), so things went rather differently than planned ...

Here's the story of how the theZoePost was written:
https://medium.com/@srachel_m/gamergate-launched-in-my-apartment-and-internet-im-sorry-not-that-sorry-13e5650fd172

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=211605
Thread deletion, and Eron Gjoni's leper's colony banning.

And here's the actual zoepost
https://thezoepost.wordpress.com/

Zoe Quinn's harassment probably would not have happened had it not been for the Streisand effect. Because so many forums and websites tried to censor the discussion of the sex scandal it blew up. Not only was the Kotaku corruption uncovered and blown out of proportion, but she got doxxed and they found out about her attempts to sabotage the Fine Young Capitalists "Women Making Video Games For Charity" campaign. She became the target of 4chan's ugliest elements. This is why gamergate became known as a harassment campaign.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's been incoherent internet yelling since the begininng, but the main trigger was that a guy had a nasty breakup with his girlfriend and posted a bunch of rumors that she was a slut. it then became an internet crusade against the website that you dislike the most

Meme Emulator posted:

The reason is because there is no reason. Gamergate wasnt about feminism or games journalism at the start. Eron Gjoni initially posted The Zoe Post here and on 4chan. This action started a ten month long chain of events that came to be known as gamergate, but at the time I think Eron was just hurt and wanted to hurt Zoe back since she (allegedly) cheated on him with five guys. This is the source of the Five Guys Burger and Fries joke, in reference to Zoe. This lead to public harassment which lead to antiGG campaigning against sexist attitudes in videogames.

It was gassed here, but people read it on 4chan and started calling her a big ol cuntwhore. Like, a lot. I dont think Eron anticipated the stregnth of the reaction, or at least came to regret what he had done because he started trying to douse the fire. He switched gears, away from Zoes untrustworthiness and infidelity to the people she cheated on him with. He basically started saying: "Look, this one writes articles for kotaku! I was just trying to expose how scummy this is", and thats when Ethics in Videogame Journalism got added to the Gamergate banner.

Cliff Racer posted:

Why, thats loving bullshit. A guy can't even mention that he's being cheated on by multiple people?
He can, but that's not quite what he did.

All of what y'all said is a good partial account but I think it undersells his involvement and dedication to getting channers to do his dirty work.

Basically he directed channers to go after his ex like they were his own personal army, which is something I'm sure many cottoned on to over time.

Now, these ~mysterious~ "third party trolls" that INH5 referrs to... I wonder, who could they be?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 27, 2015

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Cingulate posted:

Yeah as another "European", I really get what you're trying to go for here, but this makes you sound like a huge racist.

No it doesn't

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DARPA Dad posted:

No it doesn't
Ok I take back the "huge"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cardboard Box A posted:

ut there's one thing missing from this picture and it's that the one kind of speech reddit absolutely will crack down on with the fury of a thousand suns, it's doxxing. Don't believe me? Back when r/jailbait moderator violentacrez was outed by goons and doxxed by Gawker (yes Gawker), reddit responded by not only deleting all links to the article but quickly autodeleted every new link posted to any gawker article. THAT's how committed they were. So you better believe that when people start posting personal info, the mods and admins will go nuclear on it, even to the point of autodeleting every new post that even mentions her.

Reddit actually doesn't give a poo poo about doxxing except to pay lip service unless you're a friend of the admins/beloved member of their cesspool community. VA was the guy who ran most of the really gross subreddits, including multiple jailbait ones, and let's not forget how salty reddit was about losing those. The reaction to Chen's piece on VA wasn't because he was "doxxed" (he wasn't) it's because they were mad that gawker dared to attack this upstanding man who ran subreddits for jacking off to kids

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Reddit is against doxxing says the guy who doesn't remember the time redditors harassed a (former) Telltale employee because of that bullshit with the Jurassic Park jeep

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Totalizator posted:

Man you totally blew it on this one, I was totally buying your persona until this post.

I'm completely serious, comply with feminism. The only reason I sounded a little strident is because rhetoric or persuasion is wasted on the likes of people who resist feminism. They just need to comply with it, instead of resisting it. If they insist on continuing in their misogyny, that's fine, upright society should continue to progress and simply take note of them, in preparation for the day when it can take their jobs and kids away.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Literally The Worst posted:

Reddit actually doesn't give a poo poo about doxxing except to pay lip service unless you're a friend of the admins/beloved member of their cesspool community. VA was the guy who ran most of the really gross subreddits, including multiple jailbait ones, and let's not forget how salty reddit was about losing those. The reaction to Chen's piece on VA wasn't because he was "doxxed" (he wasn't) it's because they were mad that gawker dared to attack this upstanding man who ran subreddits for jacking off to kids

yeah. Reddit comes down on some dumb board about fat people but they dont come down on racist boards or the creepy pedo ones. so yeah your right.
also let an rear end in a top hat sorta quote 1984 because he is smart https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/614689986474934272

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 27, 2015

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

I'm completely serious, comply with feminism. The only reason I sounded a little strident is because rhetoric or persuasion is wasted on the likes of people who resist feminism. They just need to comply with it, instead of resisting it. If they insist on continuing in their misogyny, that's fine, upright society should continue to progress and simply take note of them, in preparation for the day when it can take their jobs and kids away.

You are an extremist and your opinion embodies everything I believe is wrong with the left. I hope you and your ilk go the way of PETA. Your belief people should be coerced to accept your politics is evil. We have no common ground for discussion or understanding, until then I will rebuke your line of thinking and do what I can to make sure people who share your beliefs won't get anywhere near positions of power.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. Reddit comes down on some dumb board about fat people but they dont come down on racist boards or the creepy pedo ones. so yeah your right.
also let me sorta quote orwell because i am smart https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/614689986474934272

Hey now they did shut down r/niggers just ignore the fact that there's a million more racist subreddits out there (also all the jailbait ones are gone now)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Totalizator posted:

You are an extremist and your opinion embodies everything I believe is wrong with the left. I hope you and your ilk go the way of PETA. Your belief people should be coerced to accept your politics is evil. We have no common ground for discussion or understanding, until then I will rebuke your line of thinking and do what I can to make sure people who share your beliefs won't get anywhere near positions of power.

This is because you're a trashbaby who thinks feminism is bad

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

This is because you're a trashbaby who thinks feminism is bad

I support feminism and I consider left wing puritans a cancer upon it. Nobody gave your or some twitter clique the right to redefine feminism to suit your authoritarian goals.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Totalizator posted:

I support feminism and I consider left wing puritans a cancer upon it. Nobody gave your or some twitter clique the right to redefine feminism to suit your authoritarian goals.

People who keep saying "puritan" are idiots who don't actually understand what puritanism is or what the people they're super mad about want.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Totalizator posted:

You are an extremist and your opinion embodies everything I believe is wrong with the left. I hope you and your ilk go the way of PETA
Did you just equate women and animals

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

People who keep saying "puritan" are idiots who don't actually understand what puritanism is or what the people they're super mad about want.

I have read enough of their statements here and in other places online to know exactly what they want. And I'm against it.

Cingulate posted:

Did you just equate women and animals

I equate misguided extremism with misguided extremism.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Totalizator posted:

It turns out you're a camp-burning gypsy-baiter, so I view it as a moral imperative to be the opposite of you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Totalizator posted:

I have read enough of their statements here and in other places online to know exactly what they want. And I'm against it.

Do tell, what exactly do they want, and how does this equate to the puritans

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Do tell, what exactly do they want, and how does this equate to the puritans

Censorship of imagery they consider immoral to enforce their rigid, unscientific moral agenda upon people who do not follow it. Shaming and expulsion from society of people who do not follow their beliefs. Racism and bigotry masqueraded as concern.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the truth behind what people like Totalizator are raging against is that we are currently seeing that the left is not very good at taking criticism, and self criticism. It's always catastrophic. When any part of the agenda is criticized, either everything is deflected, or it becomes all-out rejection of the criticized part, throwing the whole thing under the bus. We really haven't invented a language where we can say things like "feminism/multiculturalism/... is generally a good project, but regarding the current implementation, aspect X requires some well-meaning scrutiny" with the result being constructive criticism.

I don't know how the reaction handles this sort of thing because I don't interact with non-liberals for any other reasons but to yell insults and/or feces at them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Totalizator posted:

Censorship of imagery they consider immoral to enforce their rigid, unscientific moral agenda upon people who do not follow it. Shaming and expulsion from society of people who do not follow their beliefs. Racism and bigotry masqueraded as concern.

Literally none of this is correct, also a great "feminists are the REAL bigots" at the end to seal the deal

Pro tip people going hey man that's not cool is not censorship, companies listening to complaints and willingly changing how they do things is not censorship, also what the gently caress does "unscientific" have to do with anything you weirdo moron

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Literally none of this is correct, also a great "feminists are the REAL bigots" at the end to seal the deal

Pro tip people going hey man that's not cool is not censorship, companies listening to complaints and willingly changing how they do things is not censorship, also what the gently caress does "unscientific" have to do with anything you weirdo moron

People who think a certain race is inherently inferior and must be protected at all cost from any sort of criticism or slight lest they crumble are racist. People who believe women don't know what's good for them and need white male hipsters to fight for their rights online are sexist. This is, of course, nowhere near as bad as the racism and sexism the right wing exhibits, but denying it exists and that people feel that way is wrong, and does not help the cause in any way whatsoever.

Getting people fired for putting or defending certain elements in games, exploiting the fact companies are spineless and will bend to moral outrage is promoting censorship. It's the exact same tactic the moral panic movements used well up to the late 90's and it will end the same way.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Totalizator posted:

People who think a certain race is inherently inferior and must be protected at all cost from any sort of criticism or slight lest they crumble are racist. People who believe women don't know what's good for them and need white male hipsters to fight for their rights online are sexist. This is, of course, nowhere near as bad as the racism and sexism the right wing exhibits, but denying it exists and that people feel that way is wrong, and does not help the cause in any way whatsoever.

Getting people fired for putting or defending certain elements in games, exploiting the fact companies are spineless and will bend to moral outrage is promoting censorship. It's the exact same tactic the moral panic movements used well up to the late 90's and it will end the same way.

Holy goddamn poo poo.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Totalizator posted:

See, this is what I mean. It's irresponsible for you to be given the authority to rear children. On the day of judgment, Betty Friedan will open the book of life and intone "his name does not appear!"

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

See, this is what I mean. It's irresponsible for you to be given the authority to rear children. On the day of judgment, Betty Friedan will open the book of life and intone "his name does not appear!"

I'm pretty sure I'm safe, right wing movements are getting quite the foothold in Europe because the left wing decided the most pertinent thing to direct their intellectual criticism at are sexist video games and boobs on some guy's shirt rather then addressing income inequality or any sort of real economic concerns. I might still get my kids taken away from me but because I'm a lefty atheist and my country is de facto ran by the catholic church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Totalizator posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm safe, right wing movements are getting quite the foothold in Europe because the left wing decided the most pertinent thing to direct their intellectual criticism at are sexist video games and boobs on some guy's shirt rather then addressing income inequality or any sort of real economic concerns.

Ah yes, curse a large vague political group's inability to focus on more than one thing at a time.

• Locked thread