Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Totalizator posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm safe, right wing movements are getting quite the foothold in Europe because the left wing decided the most pertinent thing to direct their intellectual criticism at are sexist video games and boobs on some guy's shirt rather then addressing income inequality or any sort of real economic concerns.

And when the chips are down, guess who you'll ally yourself with? You'll be right there at the edge of the Roma camp with a torch in your hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Literally The Worst posted:

Ah yes, curse a large vague political group's inability to focus on more than one thing at a time.

The right stopped trying to censor the media because it got them nowhere and it made them look like authoritarian idiots. Funny that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Totalizator posted:

The right stopped trying to censor the media because it got them nowhere and it made them look like authoritarian idiots. Funny that.

No, they've succeeded. How else would you be here, with a mind entirely written by the right?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Right wing extremism growing in Europe because of the demand for diversity in video games. I hope VICE or Al Jazeera gets the scoop on this.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

No, they've succeeded. How else would you be here, with a mind entirely written by the right?

I believe all people are equal and all discrimination is wrong, and that the only moral way to judge a person is by their actions, and not the color of their skin or how they dress or what gender they are. Truly, Adolf would be proud.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Totalizator posted:

I believe all people are equal and all discrimination is wrong, and that the only moral way to judge a person is by their actions, and not the color of their skin or how they dress or what gender they are. Truly, Adolf would be proud.

As I said, your mind has been written entirely by the right. You have taken Martin Luther King Jr's message of equality and twisted it into expectations that you impose on minority groups. If they do not perform to your expectations, you complain about them. That is absolutely standard right wing idiot behavior.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Right is Right then I guess, ever consider that?

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

As I said, your mind has been written entirely by the right. You have taken Martin Luther King Jr's message of equality and twisted it into expectations that you impose on minority groups. If they do not perform to your expectations, you complain about them. That is absolutely standard right wing idiot behavior.

Expectations such as "maybe marrying your kids off at 10 year old is wrong and is a barrier for your people to be accepted into common society". Are you one of these people who say widespread FGM in places like Egypt is ok because it's their culture? Equality doesn't mean equivalence. Not every culture goes about every single thing in an equally good way. Western culture has plenty of things to fix but that doesn't mean we should leave women and minorities in other cultures to rot until we solve the pertinent issue of whether Tifa's boobs need to be smaller in the Final Fantasy 7 remake.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Totalizator posted:

Expectations such as "maybe marrying your kids off at 10 year old is wrong and is a barrier for your people to be accepted into common society". Are you one of these people who say widespread FGM in places like Egypt is ok because it's their culture? Equality doesn't mean equivalence. Not every culture goes about every single thing in an equally good way. Western culture has plenty of things to fix but that doesn't mean we should leave women and minorities in other cultures to rot before we solve the pertinent issue of whether Tifa's boobs need to be smaller in the Final Fantasy 7 remake.

Feminism handles these critiques much more capably than your pith helmet-wearin' rear end.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Totalizator posted:

Expectations such as "maybe marrying your kids off at 10 year old is wrong and is a barrier for your people to be accepted into common society". Are you one of these people who say widespread FGM in places like Egypt is ok because it's their culture? Equality doesn't mean equivalence. Not every culture goes about every single thing in an equally good way. Western culture has plenty of things to fix but that doesn't mean we should leave women and minorities in other cultures to rot before we solve the pertinent issue of whether Tifa's boobs need to be smaller in the Final Fantasy 7 remake.

Hey guys what's going on in....

.....:dogbutton:

Oh look, its another guy who thinks social issues are linear, and that we have to ignore all social issues until the major ones are taken care of. Bravo.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Hey guys what's going on in....

.....:dogbutton:

Oh look, its another guy who thinks social issues are linear, and that we have to ignore all social issues until the major ones are taken care of. Bravo.

I'm saying censoring content you dislike is self evidently evil and shouldn't be an issue at all. There is a line between critique and censorship that certain elements on the left have crossed and it will end poorly for them and not solve anything they think it will.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What is an acceptable way to voice your displeasure with elements of media as your hopes that those elements will be reconsidered in the future

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

What is an acceptable way to voice your displeasure with elements of media as your hopes that those elements will be reconsidered in the future

Well if you're Bobcat Goldthwaits you'd make a movie to voice your opinions through other characters.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Totalizator posted:

I'm saying censoring content you dislike is self evidently evil and shouldn't be an issue at all. There is a line between critique and censorship that certain elements on the left have crossed and it will end poorly for them and not solve anything they think it will.

Censorship by the state is bad. "Censorship" consisting of correct-thinking people getting together and deciding that certain messages are inappropriate and should be suppressed, on the other hand, is wonderful.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SedanChair posted:

Censorship by the state is bad. "Censorship" consisting of correct-thinking people getting together and deciding that certain messages are inappropriate and should be suppressed, on the other hand, is wonderful.

seriously this really bad gimmick account is allowed to post in the 'serious' debate and discussion forum when it wouldn't have passed muster in lf

also lol you're white

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

This is a good question. I will go with: avoid acting like content you find problematic is evil, people who like it are evil, people who created it are evil. Be civil, explain your stance, don't assume yelling "it's sexist" at a thing makes everyone see it's self-evidently sexist. Promote positive counterexamples of compelling progressive work. Vote with your wallet. Debate rather then preach. Respect people with different opinions and treat them as human beings. Accept some people want to have their entertainment done a certain way and don't force change if you cannot convince them with arguments. Always remember diversity is not about destroying things, nor is it tokenism or idealized, sanitized portrayals. Remember that human beings of all walks of life are flawed and this will be reflected in the media always, regardless of how it makes you feel.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
like two people actually posting at eachother, one implying that all ideas somehow need equal representation (not possible) and another insisting that "correct thinking" people should be picking and choosing what gets heard and it continues for more than like 2 posts without anyone saying how asinine and stupid both are

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So a tone argument

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

So a tone argument

You can also be rude, dismissive, manipulative and exclusive. And then get all upset and offended when something like gamergate happens.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Totalizator posted:

You can also be rude, dismissive, manipulative and exclusive. And then get all upset and offended when something like gamergate happens.

So please be nice about the things you find disgusting don't hurt our feelings

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Dapper Dan posted:

Games should be judged on its own merits, definitely. I mean, again, I'd love to play a feminist game. If it is good, obviously. Also, that was one of the major criticisms with Polygon. They started giving games lower scores because they felt they were sexist or didn't align with their views. Normally, who cares but when you take Metacritic into account, a lower score could mean less money for the development staff. This happened with Fallout: New Vegas. Obsidian developed it and their bonus was contingent upon a Metacritc score of 90.They got an 89 because they had to rush it out and it had some bugs at launch. They didn't get their bonus. Now contrast this with a good game with no bugs, but because the reviewer didn't agree or didn't like the content, they gave it a lower score. Which means less money for the development staff simply because someone disagreed with your ideas. This is a huge problem and one of the reasons scores need to be done away with altogether. Obviously, Metacritic score should not be tied to bonuses, but that's the unfortunate reality. When money is on the line and it could mean another game of that quality or not, people tend to get defensive.

Well then this problem is Obsidian's fault not Polygon's. A review is an opinion and it is a reviewer's prerogative to generate their score however they see fit. Obsidian is ridiculous if they feel that they should give money to their development staff based on something as fickle as a Metacritic score and not on profit.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

So please be nice about the things you find disgusting don't hurt our feelings

You asked me what I consider a good standard for criticism. You have full right to be a dismissive rude rear end in a top hat and then I have the full right to laugh at you when you not only lose the argument but cultivate a community of people who hate you and your message.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Knight Boat posted:

Well then this problem is Obsidian's fault not Polygon's. A review is an opinion and it is a reviewer's prerogative to generate their score however they see fit. Obsidian is ridiculous if they feel that they should give money to their development staff based on something as fickle as a Metacritic score and not on profit.
It didn't quite work like that; the bonus was from Bethesda to Obsidian. This Metacritic agreement is actually pretty standard in the games industry and is one of the kinda hosed up things about it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Because everyone knows the guys who have issues with feminism were real nuanced and polite with their grievances

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Fabricated posted:

It didn't quite work like that; the bonus was from Bethesda to Obsidian. This Metacritic agreement is actually pretty standard in the games industry and is one of the kinda hosed up things about it.

Well, poo poo. Shouldn't that be changed instead of requiring reviewers to endorse a game they have problems with?

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Because everyone knows the guys who have issues with feminism were real nuanced and polite with their grievances

And the repercussions of that carry to this day when the media won't give them the time of day and automatically dismiss any of their claims as entitled babies regardless of how much of a point they have. This is the consequence of acting like this and it baffles me why you feel lowering yourself to this level won't result in anything else but this happening to you as well. People are already noticing how toxic some of the left wing is becoming and a lecture about "tone policing" as a reaction won't work the way you think it will.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

like two people actually posting at eachother, one implying that all ideas somehow need equal representation (not possible) and another insisting that "correct thinking" people should be picking and choosing what gets heard and it continues for more than like 2 posts without anyone saying how asinine and stupid both are

Why would you put quotes around "correct thinking"? Feminist and antiracist thought is correct, and thought in opposition to it is incorrect. If you disagree, good people should conspire to suppress you and remove your viewpoint from the public discourse.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

I'm glad feminism is dead and considered a big joke by society it's just too bad they're taking down the rest of the left with them.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Broniki posted:

I'm glad feminism is dead and considered a big joke by society it's just too bad they're taking down the rest of the left with them.

A false "left" which has been infiltrated by misogynists and stripped of feminism deserves to fail.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

SedanChair posted:

Yeah, it was great when people got together and decided that sex, drugs and miscegenation were inappropriate in movies wasn't it.

Like, I agree with the point that people should be allowed to criticise what they want without being accused of trying to ruin things or censorship and private individuals actually attempting to censor things is not the same thing as the state doing so, but could you have chosen a more moralising, self-righteous way of expressing it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Knight Boat posted:

Well, poo poo. Shouldn't that be changed instead of requiring reviewers to endorse a game they have problems with?
I wasn't commenting somuch on that vis a vis gamergate poo poo so much as just correcting what the deal actually was. It's just one of the dumb things about the games industry where bonuses are dependent on an internet review aggregator- when the standard industry practice is truncated production timetables and 80 hour per week crunchtime for months which makes cranking out a game that works (when a working game would score well enough for the bonus) a sisyphean task

as for gamergate and this; yeah the gamergate kids should be more mad about this than a bunch of complete nobodies who will never ever change the industry

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

Yeah, it was great when people got together and decided that sex, drugs and miscegenation were inappropriate in movies wasn't it.

But I said correct thinking. Those people's thought was incorrect, as you know.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why do whiny pissbabies get so angry about women?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

SedanChair posted:

But I said correct thinking. Those people's thought was incorrect, as you know.
I assume they thought they were thinking correctly.

e: And my point was your description came across as as self-righteous and moralising as they did, even though I happen to agree with you and not with them.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 27, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What we really need is Colonization III with slavery.

Jack Gladney posted:

Why do whiny pissbabies get so angry about women?
Some dudes getting really angry about women is actually the beginning of western culture.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

XMNN posted:

Actually, I'd really like to see a return of anti-miscegenation rules in movies so we could maybe finally get rid of that "proud white warrior conquering foreign girl" trope.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Totalizator posted:

As an European I can weigh in on the Roma debate. Currently in Europe there is no state-sanctioned oppression against the Roma and harassing them would be persecuted as a hate crime. Unfortunately the Roma communities do not wish to engage or integrate with society at large despite efforts being made on the state level to do so, and their culture is permissive of things most Europeans think is bad such as child marriage and thieving. People who speak out about this are considered racists by the left because a white person raising a concern about a non-white culture is considered inherently racist by the modern left. This approach has convinced a lot of people that the left is irrational and retarded, because pretending these problems don't exist has not made them go away, and has not made the Roma or their status improve in any way. You'd need to pour vast amounts of funding for education, subsidies and so on to even start making a difference but the problem is Europeans don't want to spend that money and the Roma community isn't reaching out for this type of help as well. I have no good solution to this problem but clearly trying to condition people on the state level on this has failed miserably thus far, and bred even more resentment towards the Roma from people I know.

As an actual Roma I too can weigh in on the debate: You know very little.

In the UK several members of my family have had planning permission to build houses outright denied to them. This is a huge problem for the Roma community on multiple levels in many different countries, as such permission is denied to them at a much higher proportion than to anyone else. More than 90% of all planning requests applied for by the Roma are flat out denied (as opposed to the general population where over 80% are granted).

There is actual, bona-fide state-level discrimination. As a child my family was also targeted for being Roma and the actual police response was "Maybe you should move". Hate crime didn't even begin to enter their minds.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

I assume they thought they were thinking correctly.

Who cares what they thought? They were wrong. Are you really so unsure of yourself and your ideals that you murmur to yourself "I better not hit this 'disliking racism and misogyny' thing too hard, history could prove that the one who was wrong was me"? How faddish.

e:

quote:

e: And my point was your description came across as as self-righteous and moralising as they did, even though I happen to agree with you and not with them.

Yes my tone is deliberate, it helps to identify people who can't distinguish tone from content.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 27, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Totalizator posted:

Expectations such as "maybe marrying your kids off at 10 year old is wrong and is a barrier for your people to be accepted into common society". Are you one of these people who say widespread FGM in places like Egypt is ok because it's their culture? Equality doesn't mean equivalence. Not every culture goes about every single thing in an equally good way. Western culture has plenty of things to fix but that doesn't mean we should leave women and minorities in other cultures to rot until we solve the pertinent issue of whether Tifa's boobs need to be smaller in the Final Fantasy 7 remake.

so what is the threshold of world problems that must be solved before you think it is acceptable to criticize boobs in games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yes, the Left is dying, they're only talking about social justice issues in these social justice discussions, I know because I frequent only these social justice discussions.

Totalizator posted:

This sounds unscientific.

And holy lol, did you seriously say "vote with your wallet" while denouncing the corruption of the Left? You do realise why the Left is so corrupt, right? It's capitalism and consumerism.

• Locked thread