Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Your supply of tiny dogs.

If only he was playing as Egypt http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/22/mummified-dogs-ancient-egypt_n_7635928.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So, I'm going through the Spawn of the Devil event chain and now Jesus decided to chime in on how I should be doing things.

Didn't know Martial skill could go that high...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One of my vassals had my wife murdered, when I tried to imprison him he rebelled. I smashed him and revoked a title for free, but I feel like I really shouldn't get a -10 tyrant malus for executing him. Oh well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Moridin920 posted:

One of my vassals had my wife murdered, when I tried to imprison him he rebelled. I smashed him and revoked a title for free, but I feel like I really shouldn't get a -10 tyrant malus for executing him. Oh well.

If he's of your dynasty you also get Kinslayer for executing him. For murdering your wife. :psyduck:

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

I think that if you execute him before revoking it will not have a -10 tyranny malus. when somebody fucks with you, you only get one free punitive action that's allowed, and in your case you used it revoking a title. I've never really bothered to execute vassals myself, I prefer to let them sit in jail powerless to do anything.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think the fix is to nerf the penalties so it becomes a nasty reminder and/or a badge of honour.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think the fix is to nerf the penalties so it becomes a nasty reminder and/or a badge of honour.

Maybe if it gave a +20 bonus to people with Kinslayer as well since they understand the struggle as much as you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Azzanadra posted:

I think that if you execute him before revoking it will not have a -10 tyranny malus. when somebody fucks with you, you only get one free punitive action that's allowed, and in your case you used it revoking a title. I've never really bothered to execute vassals myself, I prefer to let them sit in jail powerless to do anything.

Nope. I literally just did this exact thing two days ago. Dude rebelled after murdering my son, I crushed the rebellion, auto-imprisoning him. His son was a cool guy so I felt no need to revoke; just executed him. Got the tyranny malus and Kinslayer for my trouble. loving absurd. I should be getting a +25 Kin Avenger trait for that.

"The emperor executed his fifth cousin for having his seven-year-old son murdered but let the guy's family keep their lands, what a tyrannical rear end in a top hat!" said no one ever.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 27, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Ooh, Kin Avenger would be a cool trait to earn for killing someone with the Kin Slayer trait.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

Bonus points for slaying a kinslayer of your own dynasty on the battlefield :black101:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That godslayer trait is good.

+3 martial
+2 intrigue
+4 personal combat skill

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moridin920 posted:

That godslayer trait is good.

+3 martial
+2 intrigue
+4 personal combat skill

Getting Godslayer on Ragnar Lodbrok was one of the most :black101: things I've ever accomplished in CK2.

The legends written about him in that timeline must be phenomenally metal.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eric the Mauve posted:

If he's of your dynasty you also get Kinslayer for executing him. For murdering your wife. :psyduck:

But not if you become germanic and just let him get sacrificed at the great blot. Great blot is pretty great, free killing of the 4 biggest pains in your rear end every 9 years.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I just picked up this game with a chunk of the DLC's because why not? I also immediately found the game to be pleasantly more fun, but difficult, managing petty kingdoms than the big boys. Right now i'm playing in the early medieval age as the petty king of cornwall. My first king's son dropped dead before inheriting, then he promptly died, leaving the only heir a mess who immediately inexplicably dropped my prestige to -400, that took a while to rebuild through marriages and poo poo. Then he developed schizophrenia, he has 8 children by four wives, all died of illness, and while he's good for money, basically any of his sons would be better off and I swear to loving God I will take wessex while I basically marry endlessly into Charlemange's dynasty.

This game is very cool, but deep, and i have a feeling i barely grasp what i'm doing but whatever!

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Angela Christine posted:

But not if you become germanic and just let him get sacrificed at the great blot. Great blot is pretty great, free killing of the 4 biggest pains in your rear end every 9 years.

Or if you give them to Zun!

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
It was from a game a long time ago but I remember getting kinslayer from a blot sacrifice. Did that get changed at some point?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

TheBlackRoija posted:

It was from a game a long time ago but I remember getting kinslayer from a blot sacrifice. Did that get changed at some point?

Nah, killing family at the blot still grants kinslayer. Killing at the blot just circumvents the tyranny issues.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

2 things:

1. Do we know if there is going to be a "Khan of Khans" super emperor title to represent how the Mongols operated?

2. What's the best way to get my Venetian relatives a Norse tutor?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm going to buy this DLC just because of the use of "Beware the [NAME]. They are without honor".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
"Beware the Contarini. They are without honor."

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Arbite posted:

2 things:

1. Do we know if there is going to be a "Khan of Khans" super emperor title to represent how the Mongols operated?

2. What's the best way to get my Venetian relatives a Norse tutor?

With the Charlemagne start I was able to send all my kids to Danmark. But once the viking age hit I couldn't get anybody to take them in. But by that point I had enough Norse-Venetian pagans in-house to keep up the cycle within my own family.

E: Get ready for some hilarious Norse-Italian names like Giovannisson and Lorenzosdottr.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 28, 2015

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
It took a lot of reloading, but I managed to have a claim forged on Rome and founded the Fraticelli papacy. Still, for some reason if I restored the province to the ducal-level pope it became independent. I had to set up a Fraticelli antipope and press his claim on the dude whose office I created to get him as my vassal: probably not intended behaviour?

But at least that's done. Next stop: invasion of Germany :getin:

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

What overhaul mod do people recommend? CK2+, HIP, Project Monotheism? Everything seems kind of bloated and crazy. What works?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
If you don't want bloated and crazy you are pretty much stuck with vanilla/modding it yourself.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 17, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You can get a lot of mileage out of just tinkering with defines.lua yourself, and it's so easy any idiot can do it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was all worried about the Golden Horde and the Ilkhanate but they ended up going to war with each other and wasting their doom stacks. The Ilkhanate is slowly getting their modest territory eaten away by holy wars and rebels. The Golden Horde managed to get a 20k stack to my lands which was promptly stomped by my 25k retinue and now they're slowly imploding, too.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I had Seljuk pop up in my India game even though I made sure I genocided all the Turks. Luckily he spawned with Intrigue 1. Khan Tolgu "The Spider" wasn't worried about him.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
It took a while to wrap my head around CK2 but I had a pretty amazing game as the Picts which eventually snowballed into the great Brittanic empire. The Picts wound up through marriage and acculturation becoming English, and now through marriages are becoming an odd Byzantine-German mix.

My first ruler was custom and basically Tyrion Lannister (dwarf, genius, kinslayer). One of the very odd things that happened was his grandson who was ruler of Germany wound up siding with one of his sons during an early succession war. So Britain was split in half, but somehow Germany went from an independent kingdom to part of the British claim as a result of that.

Since then it's been a domino effect of fabricated claims and over another two generations managed to control Lombardy, invade Rome and take out the Papacy, and all of France is part of the Empire now. Spain is under Muslim control mostly, and now I'm crusading against Denmark and the Balkans.

The Byzantines are holding up pretty well, but have some territory on Italy and I don't think I'm quite ready to do a massive war between the two superpowers before at least having a shared border.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

How the gently caress did this happen? :psyduck:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Bishop Rodan posted:

How the gently caress did this happen? :psyduck:

You can get events as Norse where a clansman comes back home with an African wife IIRC?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Freudian posted:

You can get events as Norse where a clansman comes back home with an African wife IIRC?

That's a merchant republic event I think. At some point someone must've raided the canary islands, took someone prisoner, and then had that guy tutored by that prisoner.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 29, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Nothing in CK2 ever plays out the way you intend. Started a French count game for some boring family and land management. Married him to some girl, although he already had children. Less than a year later the King of France dumps first another county, then a duchy on me even though I plotted a faction to establish gavelkind in all of France. Then the English attack, my character is summoned and wounded in battle. Then he becomes ill, then dead. Then his 2 year old son inherits with the step-mom as the designated regent. She ends up smacking at least one bad trait out of him, and I hold a summer festival to celebrate. Meanwhile the war goes on, and ends as the English King usurps the French King title, so suddenly we're English dukes now with no effort on my part.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Any advice for staving off the Reconquista? I made an Ibadi ruler in 1066 Spain, so I've been using holy wars to consolidate the south (also because it's fun to RP the revival of an almost-gone religion, and so that I can make a caliphate when I introduce the sayyid trait to the bloodline). So far it's been a scramble between me and the Christian powers to pick off as many of the weaker powers as we can.

If I avoid taking Santiago, will that keep the Crusades away? Also is there any way to break the alliance chain of the Spanish Christian kingdoms? Because right now even just using single-province conquest CBs can bring the whole clown car down on my head.

Also, I realized as I was starting a new game yet again the other day; I've put 200+ hours into CKII and never played more than 150 years.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

and so that I can make a caliphate when I introduce the sayyid trait to the bloodline).

Quick question: how exactly do you mean to do that? IIRC, Muslims can't matrimarry, so a patrilineal trait like sayyid is either in the dynasty from the start or never.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

DStecks posted:

Quick question: how exactly do you mean to do that? IIRC, Muslims can't matrimarry, so a patrilineal trait like sayyid is either in the dynasty from the start or never.

The plan has been to invite a sayyid to court and marry them to a daughter. So far that's been accomplished. Then somehow get one of those kids in charge. The plan is admittedly a little hazy.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DStecks posted:

Can you play as non-muslim woman ruler, become a master seductress, find some poor sayyid guy target who wouldn't mind, gently caress the poo poo out of him until you have a male heir? Optionally have him come to your court and convert, marry him to a blood relative.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

The plan has been to invite a sayyid to court and marry them to a daughter. So far that's been accomplished. Then somehow get one of those kids in charge. The plan is admittedly a little hazy.

Those kids will be of his dynasty though?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

e: I can't read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DStecks posted:

Those kids will be of his dynasty though?

Just force convert them before the marriage and you do can do matri. You don't lose Sayyid if you convert.

• Locked thread