Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TJaNDBI87s

Not a parrot but I thought this thread would appreciate this, taken from PYF. It makes me laugh so hard I think I'm about to pee myself.

Thank you for this ahaha

Dreggon posted:

you should get 2 bird so your 1 bird has a bird friend and your 2 bird also has a bird friend

its a young bird isnt it? i look at the eyes it looks young so should have a bird friend.

It is indeed a wee babby birb and more birbs is always* a good idea

*often, sometimes, maybe

Pip pip pip posted:

The birbs are getting pretty sick of living in their travel cages. 2 more weeks til we get to move into our apartment and they can have their normal house back. Ozzy enjoyed some before-bed snuggles and here's some blurry pictures of him being adorable.Also pictured: Nugget hanging out with her new BFF, her reflection :derptiel:

:swoon: Can't handle this level of cute

That travel cage looks pretty great itself! Do Ozzy and Nugget live together? (And good job making a new friend Nugget)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's interesting to note the associations your bird makes with different noises. For example, when I clean his cage for instance, he makes the squeaking noise like when you're cleaning glass with Windex and a rag. I'm not using that to clean but he at some point saw that action and heard the noise and associates it with cleaning. He knowwwwws.
That's exactly how Judah is. He learned to burble like water when he'd sit on my shoulder as a juvenile, imitating the faucet as he ran down to drink from it now and then. Now whenever he hears dishes clinking together a lot he burbles. For all his sounds that aren't Generic Potato Noises I can pretty much pinpoint where they come from.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's interesting to note the associations your bird makes with different noises. For example, when I clean his cage for instance, he makes the squeaking noise like when you're cleaning glass with Windex and a rag. I'm not using that to clean but he at some point saw that action and heard the noise and associates it with cleaning. He knowwwwws.

Haha, yeah. Loki makes a broken radiator noise at the faucet when we give him a bath, like he's talking to the water in its own language, and if my wife and I demonstrate any kind of affection with him nearby, he makes a kissing noise at us. It can be an interesting insight into the way they communicate and what they think sounds mean.

I can't really believe that he knows what "love" means, but we taught him "I love you" and "juice" separately, and without teaching him, one of his favorite things to say now is "I love juice!" He knows what juice is, so I wonder if the phrase means something like [I excited] [juice] or what.

Bird brains. If I had a to-do over I'd devote my life to studying them.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Battle Pigeon posted:

That travel cage looks pretty great itself! Do Ozzy and Nugget live together? (And good job making a new friend Nugget)
They normally live together, but those are actually two cages- they are small so they each get their own. Apparently it doesn't matter though because they end up hanging out together on top of the same cage when I let them out anyway.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pion discovered my bowl of orange/jalapeno/seed mix!
It makes me so happy to see her eating something not from the floor.

Yep, things are gradually turning out fine. It's been a good day.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Argh, I tried to finally get a video of Loki playing with my Super Nintendo controller and even tricked him into thinking I was just holding the phone, but of course, he stopped as soon as started taking a video and just sat there, looking at the controller like he had never seen it before in his life.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Tendai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TJaNDBI87s

Not a parrot but I thought this thread would appreciate this, taken from PYF. It makes me laugh so hard I think I'm about to pee myself.

I've always wondered how much bird footage nature programs have to throw out. How many perfect shots were ruined by the bird suddenly pooping?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dear birb thread,

I have to pause and say thank you. For the past year or two I haven't been the best parrot-haver for Judah. I've been stressed about school, stressed about work, and dealing with a string of yearly health crisis, and in the midst of all that I found myself taking the easy route and not taking him out of his cage more often than not because I would come home so tired and so worried about things that even the thought of putting the cat in the other half of the house and getting the bird out and policing the bird seemed exhausting. He never lacked for toys or food or a clean environment, but the person-to-parrot personal interaction has been seriously lacking and it's been inexcusable.

But reading this thread lately after a while of not following along has made me realize what an rear end in a top hat I've been to my little guy for the last year or two :unsmith: I have so little time with him really, in the grand scheme of things, that I have to make more effort. So today I've been sitting with him on my shoulder most of the morning and despite me not being anywhere near the parrot owner he deserves in the last couple years he's chattering, asking for water and acting like he always has. When I held out a water bottle cap filled with water to him and he burbled "wanna water?" I just about burst into tears that he still remembered it :unsmith:

So thank you birb thread, for reminding me to be a better parrot-haver by reminding me how wonderful these little assholes are.

Mizuti posted:

I've always wondered how much bird footage nature programs have to throw out. How many perfect shots were ruined by the bird suddenly pooping?
I imagine there's a lot of bird_pooping_on_dattenborough_01-010.avi outtakes.

EDIT

Look at this handsome son of a bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12b-t_aZwMA

Tendai fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 27, 2015

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Slightly offtopic but I ran into this and Sweetpea the budgie cracked me the hell up. Little dude is trying SO HARD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ4WBlveGfw

Corgi
Jun 9, 2010

I noticed this dark spot under Raz's beak today and I'm pretty sure it wasn't there yesterday. He and Dart hit beaks with each other sometimes in disagreements but I haven't seen them have any big fights, and Raz isn't having any of me holding his head still so I can properly look at it or take a better picture. It doesn't seem to hurt him when I put pressure on it. I've read beaks can bruise, could it be a bruise?

Corgi fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 27, 2015

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
My mom was in the bird room w both birds out while I went into the restroom. When I came out slim was attacking Fry. Fry has a slight crack in his beak. When I came into the room Fry had a trickle of blood, which I ended w styptic powder. This was this morning around 9:30. He doesn't seem in pain, but doesn't want me to touch that area. He's been extra snugly all afternoon. Give me a few and I'll try to get a recent pic.

I am broke. Slims food/toys/etc is covered by the previous owner. Im On my own for Fry.

Is there any first aid or something I can do? Things to watch out for?

I am so upset. If something happens to Fry I'll lose it. Especially after Dr Zoidberg earlier this month.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

So today I've been sitting with him on my shoulder most of the morning and despite me not being anywhere near the parrot owner he deserves in the last couple years he's chattering, asking for water and acting like he always has. When I held out a water bottle cap filled with water to him and he burbled "wanna water?" I just about burst into tears that he still remembered it :unsmith:

Ahhhh that's so cute :3: And he seems so happy in that video! They're pretty forgiving little birds.

Corgi posted:

I noticed this dark spot under Raz's beak today and I'm pretty sure it wasn't there yesterday. He and Dart hit beaks with each other sometimes in disagreements but I haven't seen them have any big fights, and Raz isn't having any of me holding his head still so I can properly look at it or take a better picture. It doesn't seem to hurt him when I put pressure on it. I've read beaks can bruise, could it be a bruise?

Yeah it could be. It definitely isn't just something dried on there?

zbeezy posted:

My mom was in the bird room w both birds out while I went into the restroom. When I came out slim was attacking Fry. Fry has a slight crack in his beak. When I came into the room Fry had a trickle of blood, which I ended w styptic powder. This was this morning around 9:30. He doesn't seem in pain, but doesn't want me to touch that area. He's been extra snugly all afternoon. Give me a few and I'll try to get a recent pic.

It's probably bruised and hurting from that. Where is the crack?

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

It's probably bruised and hurting from that. Where is the crack?

It's top beak by the cere

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

zbeezy posted:

I'm not sure if he just maybe has bruise on his cere? He's breathing fine, no odd noises. Just cuddly and sleepy.

My mom told her boyfriend who called me to tell me the only solution was to never let Slim out again. I don't remember asking for his advice, but that made me cry. So now I'm worried about Fry and all ugly faced from crying. This jerk doesn't get that I can't have kids and these two are my kids. rear end in a top hat

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Look who I caught in the act of climbing down to eat my woodwork.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jose Oquendo posted:

Manufactured innocence if I've ever seen it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

needs top hat

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

He would remove all my fingers if I attempted that.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Manufactured innocence if I've ever seen it.
Look at that face, that face would never do anything bad.

Ever.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Tendai posted:

Look at that face, that face would never do anything bad.

Ever.

"I see you have all your fingers. Still.

This could change. "

Aug 24, 2011

do greys have crests?

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

zbeezy posted:

Can you post a picture? Jade punched Leeloos beak early this year. Bruising might not be so bad but a crack is extremely risky for infection and permanent odd re-growth if it is too near soft tissue.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Dreggon posted:

do greys have crests?

No but the way their feathers are colored makes them look like they have fierce dragon scales so it is very dramatic when they decide to poof

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Dreggon posted:

do greys have crests?

"Does it look like I have a crest?"

Aug 24, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

"Does it look like I have a crest?"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Do you have any idea how jealous I am that you have wild cockatoos chilling around your neighborhood.

You ever invite one inside for a snack and watch TV with you?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

If he invites Gaston in, he may end up getting evicted from his own house. Or having to fight him

Aug 24, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you have any idea how jealous I am that you have wild cockatoos chilling around your neighborhood.

You ever invite one inside for a snack and watch TV with you?

the only bird that ever came into the house was a baby magpie who didn't know any better

however they will happily come up to the door and stand on the threshold if it's open, or flap up to a windowsill and peer in (usually at the sink when I am doing dishes, or the computer room) and one climbed up the flyscreen once

we had some lorikeets eating the parrot seed the other day, have to upload the photos still, they were extremely shy so the quality is bad because i had to stand quite far away

also tried getting a photo of a cockatoo with big flared wings but they put them down again quite quickly so that will have to wait. ideally it will be gaston cos hes fuckin massive

did i mention they hiss? they hiss

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

No one's slick as Gaston
No one's quick as Gaston
No one's neck's as incredibly thick as Gaston
For there's no man in town half as manly
Perfect, a pure paragon
You can ask any Tom, Dick or Stanley
And they'll tell you whose team they prefer to be on

No one's been like Gaston
A king pin like Gaston
No one's got a swell cleft in his chin like Gaston
As a specimen, yes, I'm intimidating
My what a guy, that Gaston

:toot:

Aug 24, 2011

no he's just a huge oval office

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Dreggon posted:

the only bird that ever came into the house was a baby magpie who didn't know any better

however they will happily come up to the door and stand on the threshold if it's open, or flap up to a windowsill and peer in (usually at the sink when I am doing dishes, or the computer room) and one climbed up the flyscreen once

we had some lorikeets eating the parrot seed the other day, have to upload the photos still, they were extremely shy so the quality is bad because i had to stand quite far away

also tried getting a photo of a cockatoo with big flared wings but they put them down again quite quickly so that will have to wait. ideally it will be gaston cos hes fuckin massive

did i mention they hiss? they hiss

Hissing cockies sound like what I imagine dinosaurs sounded like.

Also, I'm convinced that raptors were able to mimic sounds of things around them. "*whistles* Who's a clever girl? *squawk*"

e: Imagine a T-Rex chasing after you, laughing like this, its pupils rapidly contracting and dilating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8PTMSFMUg

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If raptors learned anything, it's how to mimic the screams of their victims as they're disemboweled.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I'm sure these have been posted here before, but they must be posted every day.

"We can't prove they weren't huge fatbirds!"

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Birb question: I have been buying birb toys in preparation for getting one soon (cockatiel or lovebird). I've noticed quite a few rope toys being sold. I was wondering if rope toys are generally recommended for birds? I know that dogs and cats will sometimes swallow strands of rope and it causes all kinds of digestive problems. But I've also seen bird owners who seem to know what they're doing letting their birds play with rope toys. What's the general consensus in PI about rope toys for birds? I don't want to put my future bird through the distress of getting sick because they have string stuck in their stomachs (not to mention putting my wallet through the distress of paying for a vet to fix them up).

Aug 24, 2011

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Birb question: I have been buying birb toys in preparation for getting one soon (cockatiel or lovebird). I've noticed quite a few rope toys being sold. I was wondering if rope toys are generally recommended for birds? I know that dogs and cats will sometimes swallow strands of rope and it causes all kinds of digestive problems. But I've also seen bird owners who seem to know what they're doing letting their birds play with rope toys. What's the general consensus in PI about rope toys for birds? I don't want to put my future bird through the distress of getting sick because they have string stuck in their stomachs (not to mention putting my wallet through the distress of paying for a vet to fix them up).

step 1: buy toy
step 2: take toy out of box
step 3: throw away the toy
step 4: give the bird the box

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Dreggon posted:

step 1: buy toy
step 2: take toy out of box
step 3: throw away the toy
step 4: give the bird the box

I've been stockpiling cardboard boxes and tubes for Future Birb, and since reading about lovebirds enjoying making paper strips and sticking them in their feathers, I've started stockpiling newspapers and magazines for them to play with too. In my experience birds LOVE boxes and tubes, perhaps even more than cats. A sparrow my dad raised from a baby especially loved toilet rolls for hiding in (including toilet rolls that were still in the bathroom).

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

making paper strips and sticking them in their feathers
I pre-emptively demand videos of this because watching them do that is one of my favorite things :allears:

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Tendai posted:

I pre-emptively demand videos of this because watching them do that is one of my favorite things :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydi_0Ns7sLs

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Rope toys are... problematic. If there are loose threads the bird can ingest them or get their toes caught in them. I think a good had a bird that self-amputated a toe when it got twisted around in a rope. However, if they're maintained in good condition they're great perches and make it easy to reconfigure a cage so that the bird's environment remains interesting.

My personal take is that they're ok as long as you're diligent about their condition. As soon as you start seeing loose threads, or the bird starts destroying it, either replace it or switch to something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

When I first got Boop, she celebrated by removing the rope from the plastic connector for the cage.