Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I was going to say the best way to have fun in PvP is find a good group, but on consoles I have no clue how you would go about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Looks like the Ashlander stuff will be a costume pack.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
Ebonheart PS4 guild now has heraldry, I went with black & gold and the symbol of the daedra Nocturnal.

It is very shiny.

However, it does cost 2000 gold for each tabard, which is kind of ridiculous if you ask me. Ah well.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Zombie Defiler posted:

Ebonheart PS4 guild now has heraldry, I went with black & gold and the symbol of the daedra Nocturnal.

It is very shiny.

However, it does cost 2000 gold for each tabard, which is kind of ridiculous if you ask me. Ah well.

Looks awesome. My income is mostly pilfered treasures and ill-gotten gains so I can swing that for a sweet rear end tabard.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Could someone invite me to the USA PS4 guild, please? My PSN name is RoboJoePrime.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

RoboJoe posted:

Could someone invite me to the USA PS4 guild, please? My PSN name is RoboJoePrime.

Invites sent.

Also a note for anyone who wants to become a dracula, leveling it is EXTREMELY slow if you're low level. Where I had werewolf maxed out in a few hours of killy killfest, vampire seems to be based around about a level 38-40 expectation for the amount of EXP it wants. Going from level 5 to 10 on my dracula barely put a smidgen on the vampire exp meter.

Honestly I'm having a lot more fun as a werewolf, and werewolf has no downsides outside of form, only upsides, so... yeah. Higher levels may have different results but my werewolf has shot up in levels and when I pop werewolf form off bronco buster ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYjIVYKrNDU ) should start playing.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Being a super - maxed werewolf is a ton of fun too, especially if you're built to tank. You're just tough as poo poo and don't have to give a gently caress.

Vampire has bat swarm though, which has a life draining morph and is a fire and forget DOT. Basically worth being a vampire all on its own. BATS EVERYWHERE

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

http://www.twitch.tv/scyantific

Running a test right now. Feel free to pop in.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I just bought an explorers pack code off ebay. It's not like buying the game off ebay or a shady grey market site. I don't think Zenimax would remove the code from my account if the code was originally gotten from a fraudulent credit card.

Cheaper than the Adventurer's Pack.

Of course it won't stop my game from saying I need to repair it almost every time I log off. Nothing is wrong with it. There wasn't an update in the 3 seconds since I logged out. All Steam's fault.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 27, 2015

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
The game is a bit confusing but I got a level 6 nightblade now. Ebonheart. Gamertag DollaGeneral

Glockenapfel
Mar 9, 2013

I'm not into tabards, but that tabard actually looks pretty nice. And thank you for spelling it correctly.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I have not followed the development of this game, and I've heard people talking poo poo about it, but I am considering getting into an MMO again and want to know a few things.

First, is all the poo poo talk justifiable? Like..what was/is so bad about the game?

If I want to be F2P how much will I regret not buying DLC/having Crowns from a casual stand-point?

In general for a casual player how forgiving is this game?

I've heard its like playing a single-player MMO. How true is this? This is a negative to me not a positive.

Is crafting fun or worthwhile, or one of those things left to the dedicated and insane?

Is there enough non-dungeon running content to completely avoid PvP in terms of having things to do in the game?

Thanks for all of your help TESO-Goons :)

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Obscurity posted:

I have not followed the development of this game, and I've heard people talking poo poo about it, but I am considering getting into an MMO again and want to know a few things.

First, is all the poo poo talk justifiable? Like..what was/is so bad about the game?

If I want to be F2P how much will I regret not buying DLC/having Crowns from a casual stand-point?

In general for a casual player how forgiving is this game?

I've heard its like playing a single-player MMO. How true is this? This is a negative to me not a positive.

Is crafting fun or worthwhile, or one of those things left to the dedicated and insane?

Is there enough non-dungeon running content to completely avoid PvP in terms of having things to do in the game?

Thanks for all of your help TESO-Goons :)
1) the poo poo talk was justifiable back at launch when the game was a buggy mess. Now, most of it has been properly fixed.
2) it's B2P, not F2P: you still have to make an initial investment by buying a copy of the game. Once you do, you are currently not penalized since the stuff in the Crown Store is either cosmetic, a couple of minor convenience items or consumables that are not as good as the stuff you can craft in-game. There are planned DLCs for later, but for now you get all the content at no additional cost
3) aside from specific Group Gungeons, it's very forgiving to casual players
4) also aside from Group Dungeons, it can be played as a single-player MMO. However there is a decent amount of group-oriented and even group-only content
5) I don't know if it's fun, but crafting is straightfoward, simple and very, very handy. Except for Enchanting. Screw Enchanting and how long it takes to level up (but it can also be safely ignored). :v:
6) there is a lot of questing avaiable to do in this game, and most of the stories are actually decently-written

I'll do the nerdy thing and link an online review here :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csY7RYF4rKQ

stfu salad
Feb 28, 2005

"I created the universe, the automobile, and even your father's narrow urethra!"
Any way that I could get an invite to the US Ebonheart group? PSN: OgreKoger

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Obscurity posted:

They gave it a really big push to fix poo poo and add missing features before they unleashed buy-to-play on it. For example, until the first big preparatory patch it was an Elder Scrolls game where you could not pickpocket or steal everything that isn't nailed down. They had to add a whole criminal system as well as a bunch of other poo poo. I'm sure there's a handy rundown somewhere that someone can link.

If you're looking into the PS4 version you can play with just the disc, so you could go on eBay and save a few bucks. I'm guessing the old PC version is even cheaper though if you can find a dusty, unsold copy that hasn't had some shithead steal the registration code.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Crafting is pretty fun for me so far. Gathering resources is not as onerous as in some previous MMO's I have played. The gear/consumables you can then craft seem completely useful and worthwhile. I don't know about selling stuff you make and such.

I don't seem to be in a guild and my highest level character is only level 20. The developers seem invested in keeping a lot of the basic mechanics hidden, so I really don't understand much about the game. That said, it does seem as if there are large portions of the game that can be solo'd with various builds. It is strange though. A lot of the content is not instanced. I often seem to find myself running through content with someone I don't know and with who I am not grouped. This lasts for awhile with no real interaction other than the game mechanics and then we go our separate ways. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I really don't.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I actually really like how you can informally group up with a random dude to kill stuff and still get loot and kill credit. Helps a lot when you run into something too difficult for your build or level. Saves me the hassle for actually LFGing, which is a total pain in the rear end IMO. (I'd ask goons but I've been playing Aldmeri Dominion so nobody nearby)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Nightblade tanking owns. I was able to tank a VR 12 scale dungeon with my Nightblade at V5 while Aoasha, Berke, and Twaffo butchered their way through it.

Also, I dropped my Undaunted Monster set and went with a 3 piece Torug's for Helm, Shoulders, and Staff to up my spell damage on my Sorcerer. 2900 spell damage with Power Surge active and 2500 base. My Dark Fragments insta proc hits for 20k crit :stare:

And of course, 40k damage shield, effectively tripling my health :getin:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Kyte posted:

I actually really like how you can informally group up with a random dude to kill stuff and still get loot and kill credit. Helps a lot when you run into something too difficult for your build or level. Saves me the hassle for actually LFGing, which is a total pain in the rear end IMO. (I'd ask goons but I've been playing Aldmeri Dominion so nobody nearby)

If you are on the PC, I actually play on the AD.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Wait, enchanting isn't worth it? Balls.

It's only level 20ish but I've put in a lot of time.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Scyantific posted:

Nightblade tanking owns. I was able to tank a VR 12 scale dungeon with my Nightblade at V5 while Aoasha, Berke, and Twaffo butchered their way through it.

Also, I dropped my Undaunted Monster set and went with a 3 piece Torug's for Helm, Shoulders, and Staff to up my spell damage on my Sorcerer. 2900 spell damage with Power Surge active and 2500 base. My Dark Fragments insta proc hits for 20k crit :stare:

And of course, 40k damage shield, effectively tripling my health :getin:

What do you put on your bar as a NB tank? I really like nightblade and tanking but so far my theoretical setup is Ransack, Swallow Soul, Mirage, Leeching Strikes, and ?????
I'm also at a loss for a second bar.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

doomfunk posted:

What do you put on your bar as a NB tank? I really like nightblade and tanking but so far my theoretical setup is Ransack, Swallow Soul, Mirage, Leeching Strikes, and ?????
I'm also at a loss for a second bar.

Bar 1 (Mobbing Bar): Pierce Armor, Shield Charge/Ambush (or Lotus Fan), Swallow Soul, Sap Essence, Siphoning Attacks, and Soul Tether for Ult
Bar 2 (Boss Bar): Inner Fire, Swallow Soul, Impale, Mirage, Siphoning Attacks, and Veil of Blades for Ult.

Armor is currently 5 Hist Bark/4 Whitestrake's. When I hit V14 I'm going to go 2 Undaunted (Malubeth or Bloodspawn)/5 Hist Bark/5 Footman.

I use Impale when bosses are <20% health to finish them off alongside the DPS. I do the same thing on my healer Sorcerer. I don't like waiting for my group to finish off a boss.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Safe to assume both bars are 1hs? Back when Haste was a thing there was a case to be made for DW nightblade tanking, leeching strikes and flurry but I'm pretty sure that era is long dead.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

Well, I'd say I was a bit overly critical of Enchanting: you can get along fine just buying the Fortify Health/Stamina/Magicka and Fire/Cold/Shock Damage glyphs from NPCs, unlike food and potions where crafting your own allows you to get ones that are flat out superior.
But getting high Enchanting allows you to make more powerful glyphs than the ones you can get from NPCs, and more importantly you can get more varied effects like Debuff Armor/Damage on hit or Absorb Magicka/Stamina/Health or get rarer damage types like Disease and Poison.
Basically, unlike other crafting skills, you can afford to level it up at your leisure even when you are doing VR content.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

doomfunk posted:

Safe to assume both bars are 1hs? Back when Haste was a thing there was a case to be made for DW nightblade tanking, leeching strikes and flurry but I'm pretty sure that era is long dead.

Correct. Hist Bark set bonus only applies when blocking. With Mirage active, Dodge chance is 38%.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Are the rarer damage types worth it? Came across Disease and Poison the other day.

In fact, I should generalize that question:
Is there a significant difference when using different damage types? Right now I've been using both a fire staff and an electric staff since at least the Destruction skill line offers different effects but it doesn't seem that the element itself (in, say, enchantments) makes a significant difference.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

omg chael crash posted:

Enchanting is very worth it and makes a huge difference for making builds. Fortunately the real "max" level for enchanting is 40, there's not really anything that comes up after that.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
There are shielding glyphs and such that decrease block/bash cost, for instance. Those kinds of things might be cool to make, though I think a lot of the dropped and crafted sets might take up the slots where you would use those?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

You can put glyphs on the crafted and dropped sets.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Sogol posted:

There are shielding glyphs and such that decrease block/bash cost, for instance. Those kinds of things might be cool to make, though I think a lot of the dropped and crafted sets might take up the slots where you would use those?

Glyphs can be applied to dropped gear sets too! Enchanting really lets you have the freedom to customize gear. And of course crafted sets do not come with enchantments so you can put them on those as well.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Yeh, don't know what I was thinking. I mostly wear two crafted sets with home made enchants. The block bash glyphs are jewelry and I don't think I have learned them yet. Away from home so can't look.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

stfu salad posted:

Any way that I could get an invite to the US Ebonheart group? PSN: OgreKoger

Invites sent.

Tradeskill Talk: I highly recommend that if you have storage alts, put some points in the tradeskill hirelings, especially wood/metal/clothing ones, since they will send you gemstones and tempers all the time even if you aren't playing that guy.
Great way to get bonus free crap on otherwise un-used characters, and the little messages your hirelings send you about their lives are cute.

Werewolf Talk: I really like the packleader morph of transform, it helps me stay in werewolf form longer and with less rushing about hunting for things to eat. Minimally charged strong attacks give me 2 seconds of wolftime, so I disease-rake then bleed light attack everyone in a group, and follow up with some min-charge heavy hits to build my timer back to full.

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 27, 2015

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
Is there an easy way to see if other guild members are online? The voice chat always seems empty.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Kali11324 posted:

Is there an easy way to see if other guild members are online? The voice chat always seems empty.

The roster shows who is online, where they are, and their level.
Nobody seems to use the voice chat because sometimes people have mics that make a lot of feedback noises.

Glockenapfel
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah I really wish there were text chat.

I was just reading about the justice system and I got all excited about Enforcers, but then I read that they weren't in the game yet. Will they ever be added?

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Glockenapfel posted:

Yeah I really wish there were text chat.

I was just reading about the justice system and I got all excited about Enforcers, but then I read that they weren't in the game yet. Will they ever be added?

Enforcers? I really hope they can't "Detect" crimes in progress or looting the merchant stalls for crafting is going to be a instant deathtrap.

If its just "you have a high bounty you can be attacked" its not so bad.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Can I get an invite to the most active of the PC guilds? @tehsid

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Zombie Defiler posted:

Enforcers? I really hope they can't "Detect" crimes in progress or looting the merchant stalls for crafting is going to be a instant deathtrap.

If its just "you have a high bounty you can be attacked" its not so bad.

There is no announced schedule for PvP Justice System but what they've laid out is players could only go after players with bounties (presumably high bounties)

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
I just hit V1 on PS4 on my nightblade and I'm unsure about my build setup. I seem to be quite squishy.

Is there a good website that talks about good PVE and PVP builds for the classes? I'm struggling to find a good one that covers the basics across the board, such as good stat distribution for ability, stat, and champion points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I hate yankees posted:

I just hit V1 on PS4 on my nightblade and I'm unsure about my build setup. I seem to be quite squishy.

Is there a good website that talks about good PVE and PVP builds for the classes? I'm struggling to find a good one that covers the basics across the board, such as good stat distribution for ability, stat, and champion points.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/forum/classes/nightblade-class/

http://deltiasgaming.com/

are going to be your go to websites for builds

• Locked thread