Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Acne Rain posted:

Oh btw:
What's the easiest way to disable post-hardmode hallow/evil biome spreading.
Because I don't want to dig giant trenchs in singleplayer to keep my jungle and stuff.

The easiest way is probably to go into a world editor, filter by the biome you want to keep from spreading, and paint over it with something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Digging a trench isn't that time consuming by that point, and if you go at a reasonable pace you can always get the de-corrupting thingie before everything is consumed because it's not that fast (defeating Plantera also helps).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Acne Rain posted:

Oh btw:
What's the easiest way to disable post-hardmode hallow/evil biome spreading.
Because I don't want to dig giant trenchs in singleplayer to keep my jungle and stuff.

Hallow/Corruption/Crimson don't spread to mud blocks so the jungle is generally perfectly safe.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There were third party generators that could have a world generate with both crimson and corruption, as well as adding every type of ore. It made for a much more complete experience, but sometimes I like the uniqueness of a single world, even if it means losing out on some specific materials.
Likewise, I think TShock, the server mod/program, had an option to turn off the spread of Hallow/Crimson/Corruption entirely, which made the endgame a lot easier to deal with. Less fear of losing biomes, like normal overworld and jungle.

Kanos posted:

Hallow/Corruption/Crimson don't spread to mud blocks so the jungle is generally perfectly safe.
That's wrong. Corruption absolutely does spread to the jungle. It converts mud with jungle grass to dirt with corrupt grass, so even clentaminating it back to jungle won't work, since the dirt won't revert to mud.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vib Rib posted:

That's wrong. Corruption absolutely does spread to the jungle. It converts mud with jungle grass to dirt with corrupt grass, so even clentaminating it back to jungle won't work, since the dirt won't revert to mud.

Huh, really? I've run smalls worlds for dozens of hours and never seen the biomes push out the jungle so I just assumed mud was immune.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I would love to play Terraria with fellow humans, but I'm an extremely casual player and the couple of times I've tried I've just been left in the dust as everyone else zooms into and through Hardmode while I'm still dicking around with Shadow armor and poo poo :saddowns:

Like my pace of play is such that when normal players are finishing up with killing the last boss in the game they haven't killed yet, I'm just getting around to killing Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
hardmode corruption can spread into the jungle by converting jungle mud into corrupt dirt, unless they fixed that bug

"efb" - joke that wasnt funny ten years ago

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Your best bet is to clentaminate a barrier of Hallow between Corruption and Jungle, since Corruption can't change Hallow and Hallow can't change Jungle.

Better would be if the game let you clentaminate mud biomes onto dirt ones and vice versa. Spray jungle everywhere!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Eric the Mauve posted:

I would love to play Terraria with fellow humans, but I'm an extremely casual player and the couple of times I've tried I've just been left in the dust as everyone else zooms into and through Hardmode while I'm still dicking around with Shadow armor and poo poo :saddowns:

Like my pace of play is such that when normal players are finishing up with killing the last boss in the game they haven't killed yet, I'm just getting around to killing Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu.

It's okay, I am another low attention span person who has never seen hard mode. Looking forward to 1.3, maybe I'll actually have that chance to worry about prepping my sandbox against hard mode spread (Too inattentive to reach hard, too stubborn to create separate worlds.)

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
1.3 Changelog released, some spoilers obviously.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads%2F1-3-changelog.20617%2F

Edit: Some nice changes:

- Revamped Town NPCs. They now sit, avoid monsters, socialize, avoid sitting near chests, and fight back against threats!
- Worlds now keep track of how many enemies have been killed and reward banners for every 50 kills.
- You can now remove spawn points by right clicking your bed.
- You now get fishing rewards for every 5 turn ins, versus the previous requirement of 10.
- The player’s last death location is now shown on the map, aiding the retrieval of lost money and/or items.
- You can now purchase items using all money in your character storage - including money in your inventory, Piggybank, and Safe.
- Added Minecart, Mount, Pet and Grappling Hook slots.
- Bosses now have minimap icons.
- Added ability to favorite items by pressing Alt+Left Click. Favorited items cannot be quick-trashed, quick-stacked, or deposited.
- Added an inventory button to Quick Stack to All Nearby Chests, making inventory management much quicker.

benzine fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 28, 2015

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I wonder what "NPCs will not climb stairs into another room anymore." means. I hope it doesn't mean NPCs won't roam anymore, as it was the architectural challenge of my lifetime to make houses that NPCs were able to fully navigate between levels.

Also, I laugh at the new enemy AI for expert mode. A $5 game I bought years ago can do it, but the AAA games I play just change the damage formulas for increased difficulty.

graynull fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 28, 2015

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

benzine posted:

- Added an inventory button to Quick Stack to All Nearby Chests, making inventory management much quicker.

I love this.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Nighthand posted:

I love this.

Forgot this: You can now craft items from a chest while it is open without having to place its contents in the player inventory beforehand..

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

graynull posted:

I wonder what "NPCs will not climb stairs into another room anymore." means. I hope it doesn't mean NPCs won't roam anymore, as it was the architectural challenge of my lifetime to make houses that NPCs were able to fully navigate between levels.

Also, I laugh at the new enemy AI for expert mode. A $5 game I bought years ago can do it, but the AAA games I play just change the damage formulas for increased difficulty.

Those of you actually good at this game, how much of an issue will this be for your barbie dreamhouse planning during Expert mode?

Expert Mode posted:

Monsters may have a chance to spawn in usually-safe places, like your town/NPC housing.

Or would the new ability of NPCs to either run or try to beat a zombie to death with their bare hands balance that out?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tenebrais posted:

Your best bet is to clentaminate a barrier of Hallow between Corruption and Jungle, since Corruption can't change Hallow and Hallow can't change Jungle.

Better would be if the game let you clentaminate mud biomes onto dirt ones and vice versa. Spray jungle everywhere!

The actual best bet is to create a barrier of Mushroom biome because Crimson and Corruption cannot convert Mushroom like it can Jungle. Plus you can chill there and listen to the awesome Mushroom biome music.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

benzine posted:

Forgot this: You can now craft items from a chest while it is open without having to place its contents in the player inventory beforehand..

Be still, my throbbing penis.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

So... Is there a hype train for 1.3?

Also, pro tip if you try and use the steam terraria forums. Never ask the community moderator Zefar in a public post to reply to your private message or you get perma banned for "discussing moderation in a public post" AND "arguing with the mod" lol

Hes a power tripping ban monger.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Hardmode Ore crafted swords and Excalibur are now auto swing and do 15% more damage.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

benzine posted:

- Worlds now keep track of how many enemies have been killed and reward banners for every 50 kills.
This alone is worth getting excited for, hot drat.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Section Z posted:

Those of you actually good at this game, how much of an issue will this be for your barbie dreamhouse planning during Expert mode?

Or would the new ability of NPCs to either run or try to beat a zombie to death with their bare hands balance that out?

I guess it depends how adept they are at fighting back. Too bad you can't outfit them with gear, or hire guards or something. I'm not sure if there are any context-sensitive traps that could be made to help fight off spawns. I also don't know if NPCs get buffs from things like Heart Lamps and such.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Red clarified that note is referring to the "safe aura" having NPCs around gives, the reason you don't see monsters spawning near your town except on blood moons. He specifically correct that enemies still will not spawn inside homes.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 28, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

Tiy clarified that note is referring to the "safe aura" having NPCs around gives, the reason you don't see monsters spawning near your town except on blood moons. He specifically correct that enemies still will not spawn inside homes.

Well that's nice to hear. "NPC housing" definitely made it sound like they could spawn in homes :downs:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I wonder if the Tax Collector NPC is exactly what it sounds like. Would be nice to see some of these squatters pay rent for the exquisite mansions/ hellish cube farms I build for them.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I can imagine a system where the nicer and more furnished NPC living quarters are, the more money he gives to you.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
One interesting thing I noticed in the change log:

quote:

Chlorophyte can now revert Corruption or Crimson spread. It also turns nearby dirt into mud

I guess this should help to protect the jungle from getting swallowed up by corruption/crimson in Hardmode. So does that mean we won't have to dig trenches around the jungle to prevent corruption from getting in? Cool.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MR. J posted:

I can imagine a system where the nicer and more furnished NPC living quarters are, the more money he gives to you.

This would be nice because I already try and give my NPCs decent living quarters, even including bathrooms and beds.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Actually a little hyped for this update now. 800 new items intrigues my inner hoarder. Although I'll need more storage space.

The changes to acorns are also actually really nice, too. Smart cursoring and dropping from palm trees is basically all I could ask for.

Also, regarding biome segregation chat about a page back, a stack of bombs will dig you a nice trench. You can even use sticky bombs to dig horizontally. Of course it's sort of for naught if the Big C just decides to shoot straight through your jungle. Or your only desert. I once had to import sand from another world because of that. :argh:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Dareon posted:

Or your only desert. I once had to import sand from another world because of that. :argh:

I keep a non-hardmode world with a couple of houses and a Skeletron kill for my occational hardmode farming needs. Once your ocean is a corrupted desert there's no way to farm sharks or sea dyes. :argh:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
The clentaminator can easily fix that, although the damage done to one of my worlds when I used it to mushroomfy my jungle is irreversible.

I'm a grown rear end man seriously thinking of asking for the day off.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

There is a LOT of good in that changelog, hot drat. HYPE!

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I am real excited. I went back and started up one last single player medium world to poke around in before the big changes hit.

I don't know what it is, but peacefully digging rock and dirt is pretty satisfying for me.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

benzine posted:

The clentaminator can easily fix that, although the damage done to one of my worlds when I used it to mushroomfy my jungle is irreversible.

I asked for it last week B)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

same

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

benzine posted:

Didn't really have to, for the day after release :canada:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

benzine posted:

You didn't damage that world, you enhanced it.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Cubey posted:

You didn't damage that world, you enhanced it.

Ask that to the plantera and th ejungle critters, but is a great way to find the truffle worm.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

benzine posted:

Can't you use the green solution to turn it back into jungle? I thought it did that for mud.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Can't you use the green solution to turn it back into jungle? I thought it did that for mud.

Actually never thought of that, thought green solution only worked on hallow, corruption or crimson. Just tested it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's pretty amazing that Redigit is just giving all this content away. Would anyone balk at paying :20bux: for all these changes/additions as a DLC?

• Locked thread