Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Been catching up with this after binge-watching Daredevil. It takes a while to pick up, but once the movie tie-ins start rolling in it gets a good deal better. I think my main gripe is that it's Agents of SHIELD but some of the more prominent SHIELD agents aren't actually in it much. I'd love to see Titus Welliver and Cobie Smulders more often - was it just schedule conflicts, or did they turn down bigger roles?

Eh, season one the premise was that it was a small subset of a very large organisation, so the 'prominent' agents were off being important. And Maria Hill isn't in SHIELD after the collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Dalael posted:

How about the part where Bobby beats the poo poo out of Ward? That was great. I could watch an entire episode of that.

Isn't that kind of the point? There are a handful of decent thirty second scenes hidden among season 2's two dozen 44-minute episodes. There's no reason to suffer through 43 and a half minutes of boring crap if I can just youtube the scenes I presumably want to rewatch.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Dexo posted:

Eh. I thought Quake was off in space with Bucky assassinating aliens and poo poo.

In a.. uh... "inspired" move, that's given as the reason she's now nicknamed "Skye" by Coulson. Because she's in space all the time.

She's ever-so-slightly morphed art-wise to look more like Chloe Bennet than (as originally designed) a young Angelia Jolie, too.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Irish Joe posted:

Isn't that kind of the point? There are a handful of decent thirty second scenes hidden among season 2's two dozen 44-minute episodes. There's no reason to suffer through 43 and a half minutes of boring crap if I can just youtube the scenes I presumably want to rewatch.

No, there are tons of-

Oh. Oh, wait. Irish Joe.

Never mind.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

sticklefifer posted:

Been catching up with this after binge-watching Daredevil. It takes a while to pick up, but once the movie tie-ins start rolling in it gets a good deal better. I think my main gripe is that it's Agents of SHIELD but some of the more prominent SHIELD agents aren't actually in it much. I'd love to see Titus Welliver and Cobie Smulders more often - was it just schedule conflicts, or did they turn down bigger roles?

I think Cobie Smulders' agent is probably quite keen for Cobie Smulders to be in films not TV.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

I think Cobie Smulders' agent is probably quite keen for Cobie Smulders to be in films not TV.

Plus, the show writers have made her out to be a pretty unattractive person to know. A longer arc on the show probably wouldn't have her character come off very well.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Open Source Idiom posted:

Plus, the show writers have made her out to be a pretty unattractive person to know. A longer arc on the show probably wouldn't have her character come off very well.

Huh what? Why?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Tarquinn posted:

Huh what? Why?

She led Talbot to Fury's secret base because she basically thought Coulson and team had no good reason to continue playing Agents of SHIELD and should just turn themselves over. She had a big "oh crap"-moment when Coulson told her that he was actually hot on the heels of a major Hydra plot that nobody else even had a clue about, and was about to launch a rescue mission when she barged in.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Slashrat posted:

She led Talbot to Fury's secret base because she basically thought Coulson and team had no good reason to continue playing Agents of SHIELD and should just turn themselves over. She had a big "oh crap"-moment when Coulson told her that he was actually hot on the heels of a major Hydra plot that nobody else even had a clue about, and was about to launch a rescue mission when she barged in.

More than that, she'd worked out a special deal that saved Coulson's rear end, in exchange for throwing everyone else under the bus.

Plus there was her "bwahaha, voting, don't make me laugh" moment in the second season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, Maria Hill is not a good person in the comics. She hasn't had too many MCU appearances but they're leaning that way too.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Makes here even more interesting, IMHO.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, Maria Hill is not a good person in the comics. She hasn't had too many MCU appearances but they're leaning that way too.

I haven't read many comics that include Maria Hill but the way I think she's portrayed is a lot like Nick Fury, kind of a dick but also clever and bad rear end.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

You post way too much in this thread for someone that doesn't like it. It's obvious you just want to troll people that do like it, so until this becomes a hatewatch thread like Under The Dome you should probably just stay out of it. You are more than welcome back when the thread turns into that. Feel free to drop by the Arrow thread as you'll find it more to your liking I'm sure.

Your schtick is getting old at this point Joe, and I say that as someone that's found you endlessly amusing for a while.

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 26, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

In a.. uh... "inspired" move, that's given as the reason she's now nicknamed "Skye" by Coulson. Because she's in space all the time.

She's ever-so-slightly morphed art-wise to look more like Chloe Bennet than (as originally designed) a young Angelia Jolie, too.

Man I'm debating on whether or not to wait out the Secret wars stuff and read all at once or just read them as they go

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dexo posted:

Man I'm debating on whether or not to wait out the Secret wars stuff and read all at once or just read them as they go

The SHIELD book has nothing to do with Secret Wars.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Secret Warriors To Join Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Deadpool posted:

Your schtick is getting old at this point Joe, and I say that as someone that's found you endlessly amusing for a while.

Your constant loving hissy fits every time I post are getting tired, too. I'm just posting my opinion. Who cares what you think you big baby.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Your constant loving hissy fits every time I post are getting tired, too. I'm just posting my opinion. Who cares what you think you big baby.

No Joe don't do it, I kind of like you sometimes

:getin:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

No you're not just posting your opinion and you know it. If you were this wouldn't be an issue. Now go away.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Deadpool posted:

You post way too much in this thread for someone that doesn't like it. It's obvious you just want to troll people that do like it, so until this becomes a hatewatch thread like Under The Dome you should probably just stay out of it. You are more than welcome back when the thread turns into that. Feel free to drop by the Arrow thread as you'll find it more to your liking I'm sure.

I knew I liked you for a reason.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SKRULLSSKRULLSSKRULLSSKRULLSSKRULLS

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

Hmm, why might that be happening? I just don't know...

RareAcumen posted:

I'm curious about the alternate universe where Simmons is played by Kristen Schaal/ we never evolved past Shakespeare play casting and every part is played by a man.

Irish Joe posted:

"Finally, the part I was born to play!"

-Bruce Jenner

I just don't understand why people wouldn't like Irish Joe... :sigh:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Phylodox posted:

SKRULLSSKRULLSSKRULLSSKRULLSSKRULLS

Wrong event, bucko. Though I could see a Secret Invasion thingy being done in the movies at some point.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

hope and vaseline posted:

Wrong event, bucko. Though I could see a Secret Invasion thingy being done in the movies at some point.

The Secret Warriors came together as part of the Secret Invasion storyline.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Phylodox posted:

The Secret Warriors came together as part of the Secret Invasion storyline.

I hope the skrulls are held back a bit. Cara was one thing, but an entire race of retcon generators via "oh it wasn't the REAL _______" seems like it'd be bad.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
gently caress you, bring Trip back!

Labratio
Apr 22, 2003

Super
Hero
In
Training

Pander posted:

I hope the skrulls are held back a bit. Cara was one thing, but an entire race of retcon generators via "oh it wasn't the REAL _______" seems like it'd be bad.

I've actually been wondering just where the rights to the Skrulls lie; one might have thought they'd be brought up in GotG, afterall. I'm not comics historian, but were the Skrull introduced in a Fantastic Four comic? Their rights might just be over at Fox right now, although I really hope that they're not.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Labratio posted:

I've actually been wondering just where the rights to the Skrulls lie; one might have thought they'd be brought up in GotG, afterall. I'm not comics historian, but were the Skrull introduced in a Fantastic Four comic? Their rights might just be over at Fox right now, although I really hope that they're not.

Skrulls marvel but named ones are with Fantastic Four

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Are they allowed to invent new named ones? Also, can they introduce new named ones in the SHIELD comic and have those end up with Marvel?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sticklefifer posted:

Yep. I'm glad you powered through those early episodes, the show pretty much reboots itself at the end of season 1, and then re-reboots itself with season 2. And it looks like it's heading for almost a 3rd reboot with season 3.

Not rebooting the story, mind you, just completely and utterly changing the status quo in both terms of the universe and the style.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Phylodox posted:

gently caress you, bring Trip back!

I miss Trip :[

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Skrulls marvel but named ones are with Fantastic Four

Yeah, some of the rights are all over the place. Fox has named Skrulls, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, and Mutants. Universal has Namor, and theme park rights for quite a lot of Marvel stuff in any of their parks East of the Mason-Dixon Line. That lets Disney put anything Marvel into Disneyland, and the international parks, but they can only put newer stuff in Walt Disney World, like Guardians Of The Galaxy.

I'd imagine that it's a bit of a legal mess.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hate that they consider Kang part of Fantastic Four because Immortus appeared first there, even though I'm pretty sure the reveal that Immortus, Kang, Iron Lad and all his other names were the same guy was revealed in Avengers.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

twistedmentat posted:

I hate that they consider Kang part of Fantastic Four because Immortus appeared first there, even though I'm pretty sure the reveal that Immortus, Kang, Iron Lad and all his other names were the same guy was revealed in Avengers.

Yeah Kang was in Avengers first. Buuuut there's the additional legal fuckery caused by Kang being Reed's descendant.

Edit: the comic was missing a certain moment.

Seriously, it had the perfect setup for a "THAT'S NOT HER NAME!!!" and it didn't take it.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 27, 2015

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really, really hope they do Phobos.

But I'm excited because I liked all the characters from that book. I don't see anything stopping them from using Druid, Hellfire, Stonewall, Manifold and Slingshot.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The only thing that worries me is that they already have a pretty big cast of characters, if the showrunners are going to be able to juggle having a secondary team on the show and how they'll interact with Coulson's SHIELD.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

hope and vaseline posted:

The only thing that worries me is that they already have a pretty big cast of characters, if the showrunners are going to be able to juggle having a secondary team on the show and how they'll interact with Coulson's SHIELD.

I feel like this is probably why they initially conceived the spinoff that they ended up balking on, one of the shows would be agent stuff and the other would be secret warriors.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yep. I'm glad you powered through those early episodes, the show pretty much reboots itself at the end of season 1, and then re-reboots itself with season 2. And it looks like it's heading for almost a 3rd reboot with season 3.

Not rebooting the story, mind you, just completely and utterly changing the status quo in both terms of the universe and the style.

Yeah, I actually didn't dislike the early ones. In fact I was impressed with how quickly they weaved all the minor stories together. At first I was comparing it to Fringe and their secret agency monster/tech/weirdness of the week format, but they started tying them together way quicker than Fringe ever did. The pacing was surprisingly fast once all the parts were established, and the movie tie-ins are usually great. I know a lot of people disliked Skye, and I'm sort of ambivalent about her for the most part, but she's growing on me and everyone else is really fun (and holy crap, Ming-Na Wen looks amazing for 50). Fitz/Simmons remind me a lot of Merry and Pippin. I figured the HYDRA stuff in Winter Soldier would have to factor in huge, and I actually kind of saw Ward's betrayal coming. The finale bit with Bill Paxton achieving his final form and then immediately getting vaporized mid-dramatic sentence was the hardest I've laughed at TV in a while.

I just finished season 1 and I'm about to start the 2nd. It's overall a really solid show, and I almost feel like TV is a better format for comic book shows. I'm probably missing a ton of visual/namedrop references from the comics though, but it's not a big deal. I'll probably breeze through Agent Carter too, since I know that aired during the 2nd season.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Buddington posted:

I feel like this is probably why they initially conceived the spinoff that they ended up balking on, one of the shows would be agent stuff and the other would be secret warriors.

The Mockingbird spinoff they decided not to do is not the same as the unspecified spinoff which, last we heard, they still want to do. So... we'll see. But I'm pretty excited despite not having read Secret Warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I bet S3 is focused on nothing but finding/courting powered people for Secret Warriors. I just wonder if Grant is going to try and build his own team?

With as closely tied the series is to Captain America, I could see Baron Zemo having some shadowy background offscreen role pulling together the Thunderbolts? Might work.

• Locked thread