Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After 70 some pages, I think we can conclude that Gamergate, and anyone actively participating in it, are insane and they've all shown how terrible humanity is.

Let's just all nuke ourselves and be done with this dumb species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Broniki posted:

A movement born in opposition to the establishment kind of can't be reactionary by definition.

Please don't fall into the delusion that GG is anti-establishment. They're all about gaining the favour of the establishment (the video game industry).

This also applies to the liberal anti-GG crowd.

e:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

what is a neopuritan anyway? you never answered that

It means "SJW".

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Unfunny Poster posted:

After 70 some pages, I think we can conclude that Gamergate, and anyone actively participating in it, are insane and they've all shown how terrible humanity is.

Let's just all nuke ourselves and be done with this dumb species.

Fallout was a prophecy.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So if GamerGate is so left wing, how come the only sites that give them the time of day are either right wing heaps like Breitbart and lewrockwell.com, or MRA poo poo stains like A Voice for Men?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

That was supposedly made by the anti crowd as their bizarro feminist avatar.

Yeah and the person using the account was six pounds of crazy in a three pound bag. Not to mention, y'know, the sticky wicket of taking a character, aryanizing them and having that be your progressive feminist icon.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

This thread was way better when the crazy people screaming over each other in an attempt to score internet points were the ones on twitter, instead of being in here.

Seriously, can we like, just go back to posting twitters of the dumb idiots and laughing at them? I really enjoyed that. This is harshing my buzz. :(

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

i wasn't aware fringe indie games or the sites which like to criticize games from a leftist perspective are 'the establishment'

i thought the establishment was AAA studios and industry publications like game informer

The AAA studios don't give a poo poo about any of this, because they know the vast majority of the people who buy their products are normies who haven't even heard of GamerGate and don't give a poo poo about internet social justice either. This is the bottom rung of the game industry getting into a fight with the people that are one rung above them, while the people who actually run the place keep going on their merry way and occasionally stop and laugh at the show.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Neurolimal posted:

Is feminist thought, inclusiveness, and the application of social moors to videogames already established facets of games journalism and videogames, or is it a looming threat to our videogames that we must lash out against?

Fixating on identity politics, cliques and basically anything except video games is the status quo yes, and desperately clinging to that while the disenfranchised consumer tells you they've had enough is what puts you firmly in the "reactionary" camp.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

7c Nickel posted:

So if GamerGate is so left wing, how come the only sites that give them the time of day are either right wing heaps like Breitbart and lewrockwell.com, or MRA poo poo stains like A Voice for Men?

Because left wing outlets were what they were lashing out against.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

what is a neopuritan anyway? you never answered that

Someone who wants to purify video games of anything objectionable, note however that this doesn't apply to the idiots who object to feminism/politics in games

Really it's just a dude railing on those goddamn social justice warriors

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Totalizator posted:

I did. Multiple times.

you didn't, actually. you claimed that neopuritans want to censor video games but that doesnt make much sense

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

They're Libertarian

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

7c Nickel posted:

I dunno, is Escapist a right wing site now? :shrug:

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

7c Nickel posted:

Major news sites being what they are, when articles about women getting death threats first surfaced they ran with it and got most others to join in. Right wing sites saw an opportunity to increase their readership and leapt to the "rescue." Breitbart has been laughing to the bank ever since.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

you didn't, actually. you claimed that neopuritans want to censor video games but that doesnt make much sense

I posted the literal dictionary definition of a puritan which these people fit into to the letter. What makes them new is that their obsession about morality comes from the extreme left rather then right wing.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Broniki posted:

Fixating on identity politics, cliques and basically anything except video games is the status quo yes, and desperately clinging to that while the disenfranchised consumer tells you they've had enough is what puts you firmly in the "reactionary" camp.

i'm having trouble parsing this. talking about everything around video games but not video games itself is the establishment gaming journalism, and that becomes reactionary because they're ignoring real games? is that right?

Totalizator posted:

I posted the literal dictionary definition of a puritan which these people fit into to the letter. What makes them new is that their obsession about morality comes from the extreme left rather then right wing.

that definition applies equally well to the gamergaters themselves, which makes it a pretty useless label. you never clarified that point when asked

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Totalizator posted:

On the other hand, gators wanting to remove those pesky politics that are ruining games

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Totalizator posted:

I did. Multiple times.

Totalizator posted:

I'm using the other definition (from merriam-webster) "one who practices or preaches a more rigorous or professedly purer moral code than that which prevails"

Holy poo poo, this is some horse poo poo. It sounds like another word for SJW which basically means "politically correct"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Broniki posted:

This perfectly describes GGers too.

Your mistake lies in assuming that GGers are disenfranchised consumers. That would imply that they're disenfranchised and striking out against producers.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

Holy poo poo, this is some horse poo poo. It sounds like another word for SJW which basically means "politically correct"

that's what i think, neopuritan is just another empty pejorative that you use to label people you don't like with attributes you think are bad

it's easy to puff up a bad argument with jargon and other nonsense terms

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

blackguy32 posted:

Especially given that it's not applied at all to the guys who want to keep opposing ideologies out of games

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

blackguy32 posted:

It is exactly that except SJW is a loaded and inaccurate term so I'm using this one instead. SJW don't fight for nor care about social justice. They just want to feel superior for their strict adherence to identity politics coupled with bizarre prudishness and shame people all around them that don't.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Literally The Worst posted:

On the other hand, gators wanting to remove those pesky politics that are ruining games

The lesson here should be that there's room for everybody's stupid political nuances to come to the table and then be brutally and swiftly cast aside by the free market because, surprise, most people who play video games want A) A fun game and/or B) A good story, not a political lecture.

But that just leads to people saying art games should be subsidized by the government, which, :lol:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

This thread was way better when the crazy people screaming over each other in an attempt to score internet points were the ones on twitter, instead of being in here.
Yeah, there's way more actual serious argument about bullshit twitter drama in here than there ever was in the Hellthread.

My only horse in this race was making fun of people taking twitter drama seriously and bullshitting about video games and lawns, and now the dream is over. :qq:

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Literally The Worst posted:

Especially given that it's not applied at all to the guys who want to keep opposing ideologies out of games

Nobody wants to keep opposing ideologies out of games. People don't want ideologies injected INTO games to appease "critics" who don't buy and hate games and gamers.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Totalizator posted:

It is exactly that except SJW is a loaded and inaccurate term so I'm using this one instead. SJW don't fight for nor care about social justice. They just want to feel superior for their strict adherence to identity politics coupled with bizarre prudishness and shame people all around them that don't.

this is a lot of accusations to be throwing at people who engage in social criticism you disagree with about a hobby you strongly identify with. maybe they're not as maniacal as you claim?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Broniki posted:

No, it's not. Anita Sarkeesian wouldn't have gotten nearly the amount of backlash that she got if that was the status quo. In fact, what we are seeing is a group of people reacting harshly to the fact that more and more women are getting into gaming and have the nerve to ask for better representation in games.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

this is a lot of accusations to be throwing at people who engage in social criticism you disagree with about a hobby you strongly identify with. maybe they're not as maniacal as you claim?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfiyq_W9RC8

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Totalizator posted:

Nobody wants to keep opposing ideologies out of games. People don't want ideologies injected INTO games to appease "critics" who don't buy and hate games and gamers.

i thought you said that either the pro- or anti- sides were trying toban one thing or another at various times

your argument keeps shifting so quickly i can't keep up with what you're trying to say!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

so some people said some mean things on twitter, thus there is a group of people who are actually hypocrites who want to ban games?

you're losing me here man, i just can't follow what it is you're mad about or why

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Totalizator posted:

This is a wholly meaningless statement. Games, as art, are inherently ideological products.

There is no conspiracy to make games less fun by people who "hate games and gamers".

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Totalizator posted:

It is exactly that except SJW is a loaded and inaccurate term so I'm using this one instead.

Isn't this something that has been proposed and attempted multiple times in the past few years? "People hate us because of our antics, if we change our name and the names of our terms they might forget about what we used to do." What makes you think that this time people will go "oh, OK".

It reminds me of when people tried to push for moving from "Feminism" to "egalitarianism" because "Feminism" was too loaded and negative for certain people. The consensus there was that anyone who hated Feminism would still hate Feminism for the same reasons.

You can't just avoid debate by rebranding yourself perpetually.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

i thought you said that either the pro- or anti- sides were trying toban one thing or another at various times

your argument keeps shifting so quickly i can't keep up with what you're trying to say!

GG had a lovely opinion and complained about female Thor but I don't recall them wanting to ban it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Totalizator posted:

Why aren't my games all anime tittays sold explicitly to 13-year old me(which i am still, mentally)?

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Panzeh posted:

Why aren't my games all anime tittays sold explicitly to 13-year old me(which i am still, mentally)?

Nice strawman, good job!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

so some people said some mean things on twitter, thus there is a group of people who are actually hypocrites who want to ban games?

you're losing me here man, i just can't follow what it is you're mad about or why

Totalizators argument is that there is a conspiracy to make games less fun.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Totalizators argument is that there is a conspiracy to make games less fun.

There is no conspiracy, there is a loud group of activists however. You're injecting the word conspiracy to make it sound less credible. These people are very much out in the open. And it's not about making games less fun it's about nitpicking and moaning about every single aspect of a game not in line with their political ideology. Which can make a game less fun in that it makes it more sanitized and boring.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Totalizator posted:

Nice strawman, good job!

I'm just pruning out the nebulous 'ideology' stuff because it's such a vague sentence that it's impossible to discern what would and would not be "ideology" getting "forced" into a game.

And you claim to be scientific.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
While I agree that conspiracy isn't the right word for it, I would say that's mostly only because "conspiracy" implies both some level of secrecy and some level of competence.

This is less of that and more just a group of people loudly screaming "MAKE GAMES LESS FUN!" at anybody who will listen to them. Which is almost nobody.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Totalizator posted:

if nobody wants to keep ideologies out of games then why were you going on about censorship

i think i can't really track your argument because you haven't quite figured it out yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Totalizator posted:

In going to need some proof of this happening ever

• Locked thread