Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The Black Library: A Tale of Two Hive Cities

The Black Library: Dan Abnett's The Adventures of the Mutant Twist

The Black Library: A Bleak Galaxy

And that's all I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It was the worst of crusades, it was the greatest of crusades

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

SRM posted:

It was the worst of crusades, it was the greatest of crusades

Pretty much Crusades in general both in real life and in Warhammer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Red-hot ceramite, white-hot ceramite, cold-black ceramite; a ceramite taste, and ceramite smell, and a Babel of ceramite sounds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Black Library: Aporkalypse Now.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Holy poo poo the new heresy novel looks awful

" the Salamanders take Vulkans body back home but some of them think it might be a bad idea" does not sound like a must read

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I reckon there's a nuke in his guts

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

" the Salamanders take Vulkans body back home but some of them think it might be a bad idea" does not sound like a must read

Coming in November "Chessburn". The Sigilite and Rogal Dorn play a game of Regicide that will change the course of the Heresy forever!

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

Coming in November "Chessburn". The Sigilite and Rogal Dorn play a game of Regicide that will change the course of the Heresy forever!

I would probably read this. It sounds better than nine tenths of the heresy material.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
When's the next good ham book coming out

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Skarsnik posted:

Spoiler alert: Vulkan Lives.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Spoiler alert: Vulkan Lives.

Woah...not cool bro

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

VanSandman posted:

Spoiler alert: Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives!! Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives! Vulkan Lives. Vulkan.... Lives! Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives. Vulkan Lives.

Fixed to better represent the book.

Edit: My favourite Nick Kyme writes Salamanders fan fiction example is that Age of Darkness short story with a Salamander and an Ultramarine. The Salamander is constantly described for his "Nocturnean temper" or whatever, yet never displays it. The whole story is the Ultramarine just being an oafish, hot-headed moron who constantly gives in to his temper and handles every part of every situation in the worst possible manner. Like it's literally a diplomatic mission, which is what you'd imagine an Ultramarine might show some skill at handling, based on anything in the fluff, but nope. The Salamander is there to be the voice of reason and be the good guy the entire time, regardless of the fluff or Kyme's own description of the characters in that very story.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 28, 2015

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Skarsnik posted:

:what:

Isn't he an immortal or something now?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

DirtyRobot posted:

Fixed to better represent the book.

Edit: My favourite Nick Kyme writes Salamanders fan fiction example is that Age of Darkness short story with a Salamander and an Ultramarine. The Salamander is constantly described for his "Nocturnean temper" or whatever, yet never displays it. The whole story is the Ultramarine just being an oafish, hot-headed moron who constantly gives in to his temper and handles every part of every situation in the worst possible manner. Like it's literally a diplomatic mission, which is what you'd imagine an Ultramarine might show some skill at handling, based on anything in the fluff, but nope. The Salamander is there to be the voice of reason and be the good guy the entire time, regardless of the fluff or Kyme's own description of the characters in that very story.

Forgive me since I have not read the short story but from your description it is fairly plausible that he does describe
it accurately and by "Nocturnean temper" he means that the salamander isnt super violent at all which does indeed kinda line up with their fluff.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, that part does, but the Ultramarines are not going to go into a diplomatic mission as the super-dicks who are there to show how reasonable the Salamanders are; that kind of thing is an Ultramarine strength.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dodoman posted:

:what:

Isn't he an immortal or something now?

Well from Unremembered Empire

He's a perpetual and has also been driven insane. This gives Abnet the chance to show how badass all the other major protagonists are by repeatedly killing him, knowing he'll just come back. It actually starts to become comical. Normally Primarchs are depicted as being nigh indestructible but Vulkan just gets punked by everybody else in the book.

At the end he's apparently killed, but it's pretty clearly telegraphed that he's been 'reset'. He'll definitly be back, I strongly suspect he'll no longer be a perpetual. At which point he'll suddenly become as unkillable as a normal Primarch.

I actually quite enjoyed Unrememberd Empire but the whole Vulkan subplot is just dumb.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Deptfordx posted:

So a tie-in with the upcoming video game?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deptfordx posted:

Well from Unremembered Empire

He's a perpetual and has also been driven insane. This gives Abnet the chance to show how badass all the other major protagonists are by repeatedly killing him, knowing he'll just come back. It actually starts to become comical. Normally Primarchs are depicted as being nigh indestructible but Vulkan just gets punked by everybody else in the book.

At the end he's apparently killed, but it's pretty clearly telegraphed that he's been 'reset'. He'll definitly be back, I strongly suspect he'll no longer be a perpetual. At which point he'll suddenly become as unkillable as a normal Primarch.

I actually quite enjoyed Unrememberd Empire but the whole Vulkan subplot is just dumb.

To be fair to Abnett, he's not the one who came up with that depiction of Vulkan. Unremembered Empire is Abnett trying to tie up half a dozen books' worth of loose ends for different authors. Curze was incredibly stupid in the book, too.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm not going to defend it on it's literary merits but I really enjoyed 'Psychic psychotic batman' for its sheer cheesiness.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Yeah, Curze was just so happy. I really feel like that would have been the best way to portray the character all along, honestly. "Nothing can kill me except this incredibly obnoxious assassin" so I'm going to be an incredibly trolly Primarch would have been aces.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Kurze as a master-level, insanely brutal troll is one of my favorite interpretations of the character.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cythereal posted:

To be fair to Abnett, he's not the one who came up with that depiction of Vulkan. Unremembered Empire is Abnett trying to tie up half a dozen books' worth of loose ends for different authors. Curze was incredibly stupid in the book, too.

The book's afterword is basically 4-5 pages of "I don't want to say that this was a hard book to write because that sounds like I'm making an excuse for a lovely book, but this stupid thing had to tie together like eight different plot threads by eight different authors and some of them were loving horrible and I had to triplecheck everything with everybody and this was a stupid hard book to write."

Edit: I also liked Curze as Evil Batman.

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014
Reading through Eisenhorn I couldn't help but to shake my head everytime I read Glossia... It seems so silly; most of the times it just sounds like a caveman talking with a bad vocabulary, and not codewords.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So I picked up the second Sabbat crusade anthology at GW Stockholm and been reading it on my trip back home. The first story by Abnett is really good and the other stuff has been pretty solid as well so far.
Although I honestly had no idea that Abnett was married to Nik Vincent.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I reread the Night Lords trilogy this weekend, and it continued to be awesome. I really don't like that ending scene, though-the obvious implication is that the Flayer caught Septimus and Octavia and took the babby and made it a Space Marine. Which is fine, and could be a cool story, but it seems cheap to have the trilogy end with them escaping, and then have them (most likely) brutally murdered offscreen. Did ADB ever revisit that?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

von Metternich posted:

I reread the Night Lords trilogy this weekend, and it continued to be awesome. I really don't like that ending scene, though-the obvious implication is that the Flayer caught Septimus and Octavia and took the babby and made it a Space Marine. Which is fine, and could be a cool story, but it seems cheap to have the trilogy end with them escaping, and then have them (most likely) brutally murdered offscreen. Did ADB ever revisit that?

His statement on the topic is he intended and enjoys the ambiguity of whether they got away or not.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Man what the hell is going on? I ordered the Warmaster from Amazon ages ago but it didn't ship on Monday. Amazon.co.uk says it's temporarily out of stock and I can't even find a mention of it on the Black Library store.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough

Demiurge4 posted:

Man what the hell is going on? I ordered the Warmaster from Amazon ages ago but it didn't ship on Monday. Amazon.co.uk says it's temporarily out of stock and I can't even find a mention of it on the Black Library store.

Amazon US now shows the release date as February 2, 2016

This book will never be released.

I just saw I pre-ordered this July 11, 2013

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tiki Powers posted:

Same on the UK store. What the actual gently caress :(

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Tiki Powers posted:

Aaaaaaw. :(
And then Abnett mentioned something about a delay in the opening for the Anthology I thought he meant a previous one.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Any changes to the OP's list of recommendations? I haven't read anything written in the last few years, so I'm looking around for anything that's not completely poo poo. Merely grimdark and average is probably ok, I'm in a mood for easy and/or entertaining reading. Bonus points if it's actually good!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

victrix posted:

Any changes to the OP's list of recommendations? I haven't read anything written in the last few years, so I'm looking around for anything that's not completely poo poo. Merely grimdark and average is probably ok, I'm in a mood for easy and/or entertaining reading. Bonus points if it's actually good!

As far as new stuff goes, I like Chris Wraight, and John French and Rob Sanders are pretty good. Anything from Dan Abnett or ADB continues to be okay at worst. I can't think of anything released in the last two years that I flat-out adored, though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Pariah was very good. I also enjoyed Fire Caste, though you can tell it's a new author.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Mange Mite posted:

Pariah was very good. I also enjoyed Fire Caste, though you can tell it's a new author.

Oh yeah I loved Pariah.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

victrix posted:

The Aisenhim wolves series, eye of terror, priests of mars series, black legion series, Ahriman series

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So I downloaded the audiobook of "The Empire's Corps" out of boredom, holy gently caress, 20 minutes in and it's loving awful. Literally all the Propaganda fed to Marines at recruit training and distilled into a Sci-fi book, it's almost comical.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I'm reading Helsreach again and I'm back to wondering if this would make a good movie adaption. It has a massive fuckoff war, titans, millions of orks and loving Space Marines so of course it would make a great action movie.

I just think Grimaldus may be just way too hardcore for a modern audience. The part where he goes full Nazi on the Orks with his speech would definitely be cut, and I can't help but think any 40k adaption would make Space Marines too human in order to make for a sympathetic protagonist.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

So I'm reading Helsreach again and I'm back to wondering if this would make a good movie adaption. It has a massive fuckoff war, titans, millions of orks and loving Space Marines so of course it would make a great action movie.

I just think Grimaldus may be just way too hardcore for a modern audience. The part where he goes full Nazi on the Orks with his speech would definitely be cut, and I can't help but think any 40k adaption would make Space Marines too human in order to make for a sympathetic protagonist.

Space Marines are best when shown from the point of view of or at least interacting with regular humans. See pretty much every Dan Abnett or ADB book. You'd need the same for a movie, something like the Night Lords or Prospero Burns perspective, that way the non-human non-sympathetic aspect is a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fellblade posted:

Space Marines are best when shown from the point of view of or at least interacting with regular humans. See pretty much every Dan Abnett or ADB book. You'd need the same for a movie, something like the Night Lords or Prospero Burns perspective, that way the non-human non-sympathetic aspect is a bonus.

There's very little middle ground, either the Space Marines are cool and thank the humans for their service, or treat them like expendable garbage and are a second away from tearing their heads off.