Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god statues are vulnerable to Level 5 Death. That was the easiest statue grinding I've ever done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I nEed help to defeat Twintania. He keeps festroying me with Mind Blast.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Isnt that reflectable?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Arrrthritis posted:

e: What beasts should I look out for to tame? Should I be looking out for damage or utility when it comes to capturing beasts?

It's really situational. If a boss is vulnerable to something you can't otherwise produce, a released monster can often do it. For general purposes, I prefer damage output, but I'd think that comes down to personal preference and party strategy.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

What's your setup? Depending on which direction you lean, you can wear Coral Rings or Reflect Rings to make his counterattacks a complete joke.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

What's your setup? Depending on which direction you lean, you can wear Coral Rings or Reflect Rings to make his counterattacks a complete joke.

BM/RM/doublezerkers. So I put on coral rings to negate his counters, but can't put on my reflect ring.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You may be fine with simply killing your berserkers and equipping Reflect Rings.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Also, he apparently only has a 1/3 chance of using Mind Blast, according to the algorithms FAQ. Hope for Wind Slash instead and then try to Break his charging form.

Alternately, there's the tired and true method of level grinding. Buff your levels until you can take Mind Blast a little more easily.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NGDBSS posted:

You may be fine with simply killing your berserkers and equipping Reflect Rings.

Alternately, instead of trying to finagle with Reflect Rings, he could just start slinging Break and Death at Twintania once it starts charging.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
New chaos run started

Samurai/Dragoon/Chemist/Dancer

Im pretty much obligated to go for another triple crown.

Edit: gently caress that means Freelancers until earth crystal doesnt it...

CapitalistPig fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 27, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

Yeah, that's what I did. Just wait until it starts to charge and then break it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

CapitalistPig posted:

New chaos run started

Samurai/Dragoon/Chemist/Dancer

Im pretty much obligated to go for another triple crown.

Edit: gently caress that means Freelancers until earth crystal doesnt it...

Wow. It was only a matter of time (just like Four Berserkers), but still, that's pretty funny.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Bufuman posted:

Wow. It was only a matter of time (just like Four Berserkers), but still, that's pretty funny.

Time to break lots of rods

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The worst part is that you can't even get any ABP until after the last crystal.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You know what the worst thing about this game is? That one guy in Phantom Village who's just barely fast enough to always block your way.

Screw you, buddy. :argh:

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Nihilarian posted:

Other than !Ianuki, the good Earth Crystal skills take less ABP to learn anyway.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel Clemens posted:

You know what the worst thing about this game is? That one guy in Phantom Village who's just barely fast enough to always block your way.

Screw you, buddy. :argh:

He's no "old man in Crescent Town who makes fun of you for losing your boat", but he's up there

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

He's no "old man in Crescent Town who makes fun of you for losing your boat", but he's up there

He's also nowhere near as bad as that one rear end in a top hat crab in Tales of Phantasia.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
well i had to start late due to the fiesta kicking off in the middle of my exams, this year, let's hope i can get a decent spread for a quick first win of the--

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Luceid posted:

well i had to start late due to the fiesta kicking off in the middle of my exams, this year, let's hope i can get a decent spread for a quick first win of the--

this is basically the party everyone makes the first time they play the game, except maybe with a white mage

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Nihilarian posted:

Theres always golden needles and the Bal castle basement. :)

JibberJabberwocky
Mar 24, 2012

So I did it. Threw Fuma and did Sword Dance. I kept getting horrible luck even with rainbow dress - 1 or 2 times out of 6-7 pre-almagest dances.

My entire team was in identical outfits - Hermes Sandals, Ribbon, Prism Dress, stole them specially and it actually was the best armor available besides bone mail.

I killed almagest part first, i blocked him right before he got one off by throwing fumas and doing sword dance. Then he tried to grand cross, but weirdly it didn't go off. He said "laws of the universe mean nothing" twice but never cast grand cross. I killed the red lion bit before he got that off. Then I just wailed on the front and the instant it died, popped odin.

Put it in for processing along with update to my profile. I'll go again as soon as the smoke clears.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
So I've just cleared the Earth Crystal on a Red Mage/Samurai/Dragoon/Chemist chaos run and I've got to say, if you're going to be stuck with one job through the first world Red Mage is a pretty good one. I like that this run gave RM a chance to actually show off a little, even if it's just going to be sitting around Mixing and healing for the rest of the game.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
Is it worth farming for a flame rod/flame rods in the Tower of Walse for future rod breaks? I have Monk/Time Mage so far.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ghost-Slug posted:

Is it worth farming for a flame rod/flame rods in the Tower of Walse for future rod breaks? I have Monk/Time Mage so far.

You can buy them immediately following the Tower of Walse.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

Are coral rings the best option for my Monk/Berserker/Ranger/Samurai run? Twintania is giving me problems as well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

While I've got no clue how to defeat Omega, I've managed to crush Shinryu! Onwards to Exdeath.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Ghost-Slug posted:

i like to have a ton of each kind of wand to break for easy boss fights through world 1 and 2

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Ghost-Slug posted:

Not only can you buy them almost immediately, as stated by Poque, but money won't be much of an issue either; hang out in the forests on the next continent and kill wolves. They always come in groups of 5 and give up 625 gil per battle, just a little under the 750 cost of elemental rods, and Monks can kill them easily enough.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ghost-Slug posted:

Don't bother. There are very few item drops in this game that are worth farming for. Off the top of my head:

Death Sickles if you have a Berserker
Reflect Rings and Staffs of Light for a team struggling against Exdeath
Turtle Shells and Dragon Fangs if you have a Chemist
Potentially the Power Staff if you have a Red/Time Mage

There's probably one or two more that I'm forgetting, but everything else can either be bought or is not worth the effort.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CapitalistPig posted:

Theres always golden needles and the Bal castle basement. :)

You can always use the fiesta mod if you don't want to go through the entirety of World 1 as freelancers.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Where are the easiest spots to get turtle shells and dragon fangs in World 3?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Where are the easiest spots to get turtle shells and dragon fangs in World 3?

There's a spot on the world map where Grass Tortoises from world 1 show up in nearly every battle. I forget the exact location, but I believe it's on that strip of land north of Crescent.

I believe Dragon Fangs are still best farmed in Drakenvale.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Asiina posted:

You can always use the fiesta mod if you don't want to go through the entirety of World 1 as freelancers.

I COULD do that but I don't wanna cheat. :colbert:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, Ifrit with four Geomancers is a bummer. Thanks #chaos!

I'd kill to still have four Freelancers. Freelancer rules.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

CapitalistPig posted:

I COULD do that but I don't wanna cheat. :colbert:

Honestly 4 freelancers sounds kinda fun. Sulla could do it solo without much rod breaking.

The katana, bell, ribbon, healing staff, and flame bow pretty early in the game seems it will solve most of your problems.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Garula was hilariously easy because you can equip the whip you get from Magissa and apparently he's not immune to the paralyze.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Shwqa posted:

Honestly 4 freelancers sounds kinda fun. Sulla could do it solo without much rod breaking.

The katana, bell, ribbon, healing staff, and flame bow pretty early in the game seems it will solve most of your problems.

Yep that's exactly what I'm doing now, I kinda wanna see how far before I really just HAVE to break rods (probably liquid flame but we'll see)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Sulla's solution for Geomancer Ifrit btw: grind 6 levels and burn through Elixirs.

WORST JOB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

CapitalistPig posted:

Yep that's exactly what I'm doing now, I kinda wanna see how far before I really just HAVE to break rods (probably liquid flame but we'll see)

Whip makes Garula trivial.

Healing Staff, Ashura, and Mythril Axes make Liquid Flame and Ifrit not too bad. Don't need to break rods, just go slow and keep yourself healed up.

Flame Bow does fun things to Byblos.

Trident/Coral Sword can deal with CrayClaw and Soul Cannon....

Titan and Purobolos are tricky, but Manticore can be Death Sickle'd. Though those three are after you get your Earth jobs and are no longer allowed to Freelance in a Fiesta.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Sulla's solution for Geomancer Ifrit btw: grind 6 levels and burn through Elixirs.

WORST JOB

As for Geomancers.... at least they have a fire attack for Byblos?

Exdeath's Castle is only going to be a pain because of the enemies, not the dungeon itself?

Rune Bell boosts all elements, but that's less "helpful" and more "required" for !Gaia to deal damage late-game.

• Locked thread