Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Aha, maybe yours, but MY orgasms are powered by hot thermal vapors and cancer-causing radiation, like natural mother nature decided was best. AND, since it's all renewable, that means I'll keep going even after everyone else has been rendered into tallow to fuel the Vibration-Industrial Complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Germstore posted:

two-stroke gas/oil engine at least

That's not why it's called a Wankel engine.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Put 220 on the money, honey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IzWBMIq9ko

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Apparently there was a first edition of this?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

They Kickstarted it last year, according to their profile. Got $2260 for the first go round. They had 107 backers for the first one. They have 19 for the second.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Playing cards are super common on Kickstarter. They're a nice combination of easy to design, cheap to manufacture, and something that almost everyone wants to have a set or two of. The playing card companies have also made it relatively easy to print custom decks so it doesn't require much work either. The cat ones are a bit low effort, but I wouldn't label them "awful."

Searching kickstarter for "playing cards" yields 1,634 results and it looks like at least a couple hundred of them were funded.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I like their brutal honest with the week only kickstarter. They're not looking to make a million bucks, just cat playing cards. Refreshing lack of greed, that.

If I was in the market for unique playing cards, I'd back them. The design is cute. :3:

Not a bad kickstarter, just a little odd.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Obviously there's enough crossover between audio nerds and hipsters to make this get funded 11 times over.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gramovox/floating-recordtm-vertical-turntable

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Obviously there's enough crossover between audio nerds and hipsters to make this get funded 11 times over.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gramovox/floating-recordtm-vertical-turntable

Hipsters love taking something that has been around for years and pretending they came up with it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Collateral Damage posted:

"a visually and mechanically sound way to experience vinyl music."

what the hell does "visually sound" mean

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
im glad my voice doesnt sound like the guy in the preview video

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Hipsters love taking something that has been around for years and pretending they came up with it.

You weren't kidding, a quicksearch for "vertical turntable" returns plenty of old and recent designs.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Joe Scott has a teenaged daughter. Understandably, he wants to keep bad potential boyfriends away from her. The method by which he intends to do so is to develop a phone app that boys can use to apply for a job girlfriend.

Giuseppe thinks that's a terrible way of building new relations. In his ideal world, people pick 20 corporate logos and let an algorithm sort out who they should hook up with.

Darian would like you to pay for his holidays in Japan, Manhattan and France. But his plan isn't to go sightseeing like a normal person. He wants to play Pokémon there, become a Pokémon master, and then hand over his 3DS to the president of Nintendo.

A real-life Pokémon master posted:

I am Red, the internet is the console, and kickstarter is the controller.

"The low Cost of 2850,- Euro is only to save Rights / get copyrights ( wich can take a long Time in Germany ) and got my Patent on the Game, before i can Start my Real Kickstarter Campaign where i show you the real Cards, playstyle, playinstructions."

Not an awful kickstarter but I like the idea of this basketball planning app that comes with an integrated gamerscore and player stat sheet.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nagato posted:

im glad my voice doesnt sound like the guy in the preview video

I am personally glad my face doesn't look like his.

Also, watching a record turn for entertinment is the lamest thing I've ever heard.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I like the way it looks I'll give it that.

But did they solve the problem all vert players seem to have of carving the poo poo out of the vinyl because the arm can't float? Every time I see a real world picture of a vert player it's always surrounded by vinyl shavings.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

"a visually and mechanically sound way to experience vinyl music."

what the hell does "visually sound" mean

Synesthesia?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Byzantine posted:

Synesthesia?

Synesthesia =/= staring at a rotating record like an idiot.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Zybourne Clock posted:

Joe Scott has a teenaged daughter. Understandably, he wants to keep bad potential boyfriends away from her.

Actually, dads having a fixation on their daughters' hymens is super loving creepy. Same with feeling the need to chase off boyfriends in the name of protecting their property preserving her virtue.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

:reject: I did not raise my daughter to date some JOCK! What about that nice guy in your class?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Germstore posted:

two-stroke gas/oil engine at least

Steely Dan?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

flosofl posted:

I like the way it looks I'll give it that.

But did they solve the problem all vert players seem to have of carving the poo poo out of the vinyl because the arm can't float? Every time I see a real world picture of a vert player it's always surrounded by vinyl shavings.

I question the built-in speakers; either that thing has to weigh a ton, those speakers have to be pretty lousy in bass response (which they claim they have tons of) or that record player is gonna get some serious vibrations going on.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The other kickstarter the vertical turntable did is a $250 bluetooth horn speaker funded to the tune of $250K https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gramovox/gramovoxtm-bluetooth-gramophone/description

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't checked this this thread in like 100 pages, but has the bluetooth dumbphone that hooks up up to your Iphone been linked? I can't find it but it's the stupidest idea I've ever seen in my life.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Can't be worse than Double Fine.

Isn't literally every Double Fine game a massive failure in sales? Even Brutal Legend, which looked like it was gonna be their strongest title.

And then according to Tim Shaefer's fans he never does anything wrong ever ever ever, even though, hey, it was actually a pretty loving stupid idea to advertise a swank heavy metal action game and give us a watered down RTS with no warning whatsoever. You can't blame EA for loving that one up this time Timmy!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think they ride off the fact that Psychonauts was real good but somehow sold like 10 copies.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I got Psychonauts as part of a humble bundle and the controls are all kinds of hosed up on PC.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Parrotine posted:

Isn't literally every Double Fine game a massive failure in sales? Even Brutal Legend, which looked like it was gonna be their strongest title.

And then according to Tim Shaefer's fans he never does anything wrong ever ever ever, even though, hey, it was actually a pretty loving stupid idea to advertise a swank heavy metal action game and give us a watered down RTS with no warning whatsoever. You can't blame EA for loving that one up this time Timmy!

It's not just poor sales, it's more the fact that they apart from Psychonauts they simply can't produce a game where they follow through with their ideas and not water down something or cut things short. People tend to blame Schafer personally and Broken Age (their first kickstarted game) kind of supports that theory. But then I've heard that games without Schafer's involvement aren't exactly great either and still suffer from the same problem. Maybe people just expect too much and Double Fine try to meet those expectations with big promises that they can't really fulfil. I don't know.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It does kind of rule how kickstarter has proven more than once that publishers are sometimes good since they rein in projects going off the rails.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Groovelord Neato posted:

It does kind of rule how kickstarter has proven more than once that publishers are sometimes good since they rein in projects going off the rails.

Also that nerds no longer have the right to complain about studios making nothing but sequels, remakes, and adaptations since that's what they themselves throw the most money at over Kickstarter.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Paladinus posted:

It's not just poor sales, it's more the fact that they apart from Psychonauts they simply can't produce a game where they follow through with their ideas and not water down something or cut things short. People tend to blame Schafer personally and Broken Age (their first kickstarted game) kind of supports that theory. But then I've heard that games without Schafer's involvement aren't exactly great either and still suffer from the same problem. Maybe people just expect too much and Double Fine try to meet those expectations with big promises that they can't really fulfil. I don't know.

They've usually been good at original ideas, art styles, and writing, but making fun gameplay is something they've never really figured out. From what I've seen of the documentary it doesn't really seem to be a priority in their dev process either.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

DoctorTristan posted:

They've usually been good at original ideas, art styles, and writing, but making fun gameplay is something they've never really figured out. From what I've seen of the documentary it doesn't really seem to be a priority in their dev process either.

The best part of the documentary was all the times that the entire team was sitting around doing nothing waiting for Schaefer to finish writing so they could actually do the graphics and voice acting and programming...and then what he turned in was the garbage that lead to Broken Age 2 being full of pants-on-head retarded puzzles and and plot holes like the computer actually being his parents.

e. Scratch that, the best part was how they promised an unrestricted look at the inner-workings of the company and then as soon as they shut down Spacebase DF-9 they memoryholed the entire development team and any mention of the game, save for a throw-away line about laying them all off.

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Jun 27, 2015

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

cmon dude don't spoil broken age

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think they ride off the fact that Psychonauts was real good but somehow sold like 10 copies.
I always wonder why people always cite Psychonauts as the one good Double Fine game, when it was just as flawed as the rest: good writing, bad gameplay, wonky production cycle. Their games have become hard to sell because unless you know this is what to expect, you're probably not gonna put up with the frustrating parts to get to the good parts.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
My favourite video game kickstarter was Peter Molyneux promising a bunch of poo poo then not delivering and people being surprised at this for some reason.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I love how pissy people get about Double Fine.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SupSuper posted:

I always wonder why people always cite Psychonauts as the one good Double Fine game, when it was just as flawed as the rest: good writing, bad gameplay, wonky production cycle. Their games have become hard to sell because unless you know this is what to expect, you're probably not gonna put up with the frustrating parts to get to the good parts.

huh? the game has pretty good gameplay until the meat circus.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I found Psychonauts completely unplayable on PC, when I tried it on console it was doable but boring (gameplay wise).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pick posted:

I found Psychonauts completely unplayable on PC, when I tried it on console it was doable but boring (gameplay wise).

Opposite for me. Psychonauts was great on PC, perfectly playable. Do you know how to hook a controller up to a computer?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mortimer posted:

Opposite for me. Psychonauts was great on PC, perfectly playable. Do you know how to hook a controller up to a computer?

Why the gently caress would I do that? In that case I might as well play on my much larger tv screen using a console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Pick posted:

Why the gently caress would I do that? In that case I might as well play on my much larger tv screen using a console.

Because some games play better with a controller than a keyboard, and because some people would rather play it on the system they already own it on??