Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Obdicut posted:

Okay, I played the game a lot and don't remember that. you sure that's a taunt and not a one-off line?

I think it's directed at Bruce Wayne, not Batman. At the beginning when you're being led into Arkham City, one of the prisoners says it to Bruce Wayne. He wouldn't dream of saying it to the power fantasy the players want to be, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Obdicut posted:

Okay, I played the game a lot and don't remember that. you sure that's a taunt and not a one-off line?

I misremembered the line. It's actually "you're mine." I edited the post to correct it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dongicus posted:

currently playing valkyria chronicles here, im enjoying it.

i kinda wish the ui was less poo poo tho i'd like an xcom style equip menu right before a mission instead of manually doing it through the barracks and going thru a billion menus

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

its pretty good, hang in there bud :)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you'll get used to the ui, is what i mean

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Totalizator posted:

Here's an excercise: try to find gamergaters complaining about a woman or minority protagonist in a game, instead of a white male. Ideally have it be in a long conversation where other gamergaters join in with support and not a lone and forgotten tweet by some nut, but I'll be generous and take those too.

Here is a better challenge:

Find GG campaign that isn't protection of a consumer identity.

e:

Totalizator posted:

To describe how things are different from one another you need words. Splatoon is not Gone Home is not God of War is not Bayonetta. Please tell me how I'm a mindless consumerist again and a braindead sheeple not capable of understanding the nuance of anti-capitalist thought.

Stop strawmanning. If a game is changed due to political pressure or moral outrage of any sort it is bad, regardless of how I feel about the change. Read up what "chilling effect" is on media.

There is nothing that makes games less or more "arty". They're by definition art.

And yes, you are a consumerist, just like GG and anti-GG. That is why they're so hollow.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 27, 2015

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

It's a loving great game and everyone should play it :)

Though if that's the deal, more purposefully sexist games would be better received? Do we need more Grindhouse games?

Unironically yes; if the sexism is used for a specific purpose then the debate becomes more nuanced.

Going back to it, lots of rape and gender-specific abuse happens in Mad Max: Fury Road, but it exists for a specific purpose (abhorring objectification and gender oppression), so feminists hail it as a progressive movie.

If this was a part of Catwoman's story; a jewel thief who, after witnessing misogynistic violence/an attempted rape, becomes disgusted and determined to clean up Gotham, then the taunts would be better recieved, as they would make sense in-story and its implied that the player is playing to remove that from the status quo.

For the record, I don't think you're being disungenuous or an rear end in a top hat, and I hope some of this discussion is rubbing off :)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I was told the PC port was really bad

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

blackguy32 posted:

But, the whole point is that the Alien or the facehuggers don't give a gently caress about what gender you are. The game (which cribs heavily from the movie) handles its tone in an entirely different way.

Agreed. I won't be surprised if some twitter nut decides to attack it on those aforementioned sexual grounds, though.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Ddraig posted:

I think it's directed at Bruce Wayne, not Batman. At the beginning when you're being led into Arkham City, one of the prisoners says it to Bruce Wayne. He wouldn't dream of saying it to the power fantasy the players want to be, though.

Oh yeah I remember that now.

So yeah, Batman doesn't get called a bitch. Only Catwoman. In 'reality', batman would be called a bitch a lot too, because the patriarchy.

A defense of it as showing what a woman would really go through compared to a man is undermined by this. Also her ridiculous crotch-slide and wrapping her legs around a guy's face to choke him out using her pelvis.

INH5 posted:

I misremembered the line. It's actually "you're mine." I edited the post to correct it.

Cool. So it doesn't actually portray what a female vs. a male hero would experience.

Also the crotch-slide stuff, you've got to admit that poo poo is ridic.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh poo poo, I forgot!
You fight rape culture by pretending rape doesn't exist, my mistake.

blackguy32 posted:

So many white male protagonists in video games despite minorities making up a considerable part of the population? Why does it seem that Gamergaters are fine with realism until it starts going against the status quo?

Because there's always that bunch of idiots who think they have forced these features to appease the SJW crowd.

It's not just gamergate mind you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bholder posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot!
You fight rape culture by pretending rape doesn't exist, my mistake.

not adding rape threats to a game is not the same as pretending rape doesn't exist

i don't say the n-word. that does not mean i believe racism doesn't exist

your argument doesn't make any sense at all

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Here is a better challenge:

Find GG campaign that isn't protection of a consumer identity.

How about their numerous charity drives?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

not adding rape threats to a game is not the same as pretending rape doesn't exist

Neither does yours.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Brannock posted:

I see your very valid point but I also don't know if it's a good idea for games that are ostensibly set in a world that's Very Similar To Ours to depict it as a place where women and minorities don't experience any discrimination or threats beyond that which a white male experiences. Especially if it's a game that tries to rub the player's nose into the fact that life is pretty lovely? I'm not calling for Animal Crossing to start tossing in sexist threats here, but I think it'd be helpful for a certain subset of gamers to recognize that female characters (and thus real women) get a very different experience from threats than male characters do.

I addressed this a little in the previous post, but I agree that removing sexism everywhere irregardless of context is a bad idea.

My specific problem with Arkham City is that it's very explicitly a power fantasy, and it flounders in this respect in this specific situation.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Neurolimal posted:

Unironically yes; if the sexism is used for a specific purpose then the debate becomes more nuanced.

Going back to it, lots of rape and gender-specific abuse happens in Mad Max: Fury Road, but it exists for a specific purpose (abhorring objectification and gender oppression), so feminists hail it as a progressive movie.

If this was a part of Catwoman's story; a jewel thief who, after witnessing misogynistic violence/an attempted rape, becomes disgusted and determined to clean up Gotham, then the taunts would be better recieved, as they would make sense in-story and its implied that the player is playing to remove that from the status quo.

For the record, I don't think you're being disungenuous or an rear end in a top hat, and I hope some of this discussion is rubbing off :)

:thumbsup: Game writing as a whole needs a facelift. I think AAA consider plot / dialogue much less than mechanics / graphics.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

INH5 posted:

How about their numerous charity drives?

That is an example of identity protection. Charity in general is a feel-good exercise.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yours doesn't either but people keep responding to your insanely bad posts

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bholder posted:

Neither does yours.

it's perfectly sensible to believe that something exists without actively acknowledging it all of the time. nearly every living human does this every day

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Totalizator posted:

Here's an excercise: try to find gamergaters complaining about a woman or minority protagonist in a game, instead of a white male. Ideally have it be in a long conversation where other gamergaters join in with support and not a lone and forgotten tweet by some nut, but I'll be generous and take those too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2yt8hk/forcing_diversity_gamergate/

Oh no! Racial quotas in games!

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mandatory lesbian posted:

you'll get used to the ui, is what i mean

Please do not post in this thread.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

That is an example of identity protection. Charity in general is a feel-good exercise.

By that standards, everything anyone ever does could be considered identity protection.

To be fair, it is well established in psychology that a huge amount of human behavior is done with the intention of reinforcing a group identity. But that doesn't make it bad.

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007

This came about because they were trying to force a Polish developer to include black characters in a game set in 14th century Poland, and then they went on a campaign declaring him a racist because he said "no".

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

He's complaining about tokenism, try again.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

INH5 posted:

By that standards, everything anyone ever does could be considered identity protection.

To be fair, it is well established in psychology that a huge amount of human behavior is done with the intention of reinforcing a group identity. But that doesn't make it bad.

Your mistake is that you don't consider what kind of group identity is being protected.

The charity drives are almost naked PR exercise. Just see how they're used as examples of GG being good.

Supermechagodzilla posted:

Games aren't as fun as when you were ten years old. Who stole fun from the games?!

'Gamers': the liberal-jewish-feminist conspiracy is hoarding all the fun, censoring our free speech, forcing games to be more multicultural and so-on. If we simply 'deregulated' the industry and got rid of such things as affirmative action, the invisible hand will carry us back to the state of innocence of when I was ten years old.

'SJWs': games were fun when I was ten, but now I'm aware of insane neonazis on the Internet. The games industry really needs to be made more multicultural, like Starbucks. If major corporations simply tell gamers that racism is bad, these rednecks will have to stop openly fantasizing about rape holocaust.

Reality: games have never been 'fun', and cannot be. The capitalist system that produces them is deleterious to human existence and cannot be reformed or purified. You will never be ten years old again, and no-one can be singled out for blame.

Supermechagodzilla posted:

This is a kind of confirmation of what I've written. Corruption for money is, to gamers, absolutely normal and acceptable. Anyone can theoretically get in on that action, because capital is 'universal'. Nintendo Power and IGN were simply "small groups of like-minded friends [ensuring] a decent payday for themselves."

The keyword there is 'decent'.

Recall EugeneJ's transcendentally moronic post comparing Zoe Quin to Barack Obama having an rear end-loving affair with Anderson Cooper. There's a grain of truth there. Everyone knows that Obama and CNN are corrupt liberal-types. It's an open secret. If Barack were revealed to be a literal homosexual deviant, however, that would show that he cares about something more than money: sweaty, gay homosex.

That is the threat, and it's why Zoe Quinn is objectionable to gamers where covert advertainment was not. When Games Journalism is literally in bed with the feminists, the universal corruption becomes a particular corruption. They cannot get a piece of it.

In the above screencap, the Anime Man insists that the liberal-jewish-feminist conspiracy cannot stop the free market. The jews cannot take away our EA Sports games because consumers demand EA Sports games, and the free market must supply EA Sports games. 'Companies will not ignore us!' However, if he is so certain of this, why say it out loud? The form of the post reveals a deep insecurity - it functions as a secular prayer directed at the invisible hand itself: 'you won't ignore us... right?'

Gamers have really been confronted with the fact that the market truly does not have their best interests at heart. It is cold, impersonal, and actively destroying them. Rather than accept this truth, they shrink from it. It is more comfortable to believe that the market's benevolence is not absent but simply misdirected towards an outgroup. As a result, the goal is to win back the market's care and attention, bringing society to a prelapsarian state. Twitter hashtags serve this purpose. Broadcasting a meme over twitter is always a means of amplifying speech and directing it at a specific entity - games companies, celebrities, the big Other, etc. These entities will then hear you, and fix things for you.

The interesting contradiction is that he refers to himself as a 'countercultural normalfag'. How does he reconcile his minority status with the fact that he supports billion-dollar corporate entities? Simply, it goes back to his belief that financially-motivated corruption was simply "small groups of like-minded friends [ensuring] a decent payday for themselves." Capitalism, in the view of the gamer, can and should allow small groups to flourish, and it only doesn't is because of 'corruption'. This is where the gamers and SJWs are ultimately indistinguishable. SJWs simply call this 'multiculturalism'.

Totalizator is basically a textbook example of this.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 28, 2015

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
all video games are good

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Totalizator posted:

That's basically what every gamergater will complain about, but that doesn't sound as good as "GG hates women"

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
God Bless SuperMechaGodzilla.

Bonesnap posted:

This came about because they were trying to force a Polish developer to include black characters in a game set in 14th century Poland, and then they went on a campaign declaring him a racist because he said "no".

I hope that game allows modding.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

God Bless SuperMechaGodzilla

You're in luck.

He predicted eveything Totalizator says, it's kind of amazing.

e: Even the bit about praying to companies, with how they'll totally ignore SJWs eventually.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

You're in luck.

He predicted eveything Totalizator says, it's kind of amazing.

I got into that thread shortly before it was gassed. That was a magical time.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

God Bless SuperMechaGodzilla.

I hope that game allows modding.

We're talking about Witcher 3 here right? Because I don't think any game that has dwarves and elves can really claim to be set in 14th century anywhere.

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007
The game is Kingdom Come: Deliverence

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Totalizator posted:

This is pretty rich considering the #Notyourshield hashtag.

Basically what we are getting now is the status quo where no one want to do a drat thing because they are afraid of "tokenism".

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Could you play as a female character in the South Park game?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Male only, but the game cracked a number of jokes based on your skin tone.

blackguy32 posted:

This is pretty rich considering the #Notyourshield hashtag.

Basically what we are getting now is the status quo where no one want to do a drat thing because they are afraid of "tokenism".

I remember the issue of "reskinned white people" coming up in the minorities thread when discussing straight replacements for the bald white dude as a generic protagonist. How would you go that route without resorting to tokenism?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i believe in a world where all of us can game together in peace and love and friendship. i hope you too believe in this world. it is a world like the one in splatoon however. youre a kid now youre a squid now youre a kid.

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007
When the Kingdom Come guy said he wasn't going to add a token black guy in his game about 14th century Polish culture, they essentially said "Polish culture? That's not a real thing. Add a black guy or we boycott."

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

VideoGames posted:

all video games are good bad

hth

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Bonesnap posted:

When the Kingdom Come guy said he wasn't going to add a token black guy in his game about 14th century Polish culture, they essentially said "Polish culture? That's not a real thing. Add a black guy or we boycott."

Which was also what they said about the Witcher crew: "Slavs have no culture."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zerilan posted:

We're talking about Witcher 3 here right? Because I don't think any game that has dwarves and elves can really claim to be set in 14th century anywhere.

This is two controversies conflated. There's Witcher 3, and there's an RPG about 14th Century Bohemia (Kingdom Come. Deliverance, I believe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Which was also what they said about the Witcher crew: "Slavs have no culture."

I got the two devs there confused on that statement I guess. Either way, I don't want to live in a world where squatting with a cigarette doesn't count as culture.

• Locked thread