Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

Also today, in Montgomery, AL "Southern Lives Matter"

Meanwhile,

Bree Newsome has been released. Here is her statement:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Joementum posted:

I'm afraid they don't.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

JT Jag posted:

It's probably actually been done

poo poo, I spent forever yesterday trying to think of a movie to go with my rainbow cocktails, and I totally forgot Scorpio Rising was a thing. loving missed opportunities.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm afraid they don't.

... gently caress. I live there and hadn't heard a thing about it. Goddamnit I hate this city sometimes.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

So for those keeping track we are now at 5 cases of arson directed against black churches in 6 days
Knoxville 6/21
Macon GA 6/23
Charlotte, NC 6/24
Warrenville SC 6/26
Tallahassee 6/26

Joementum posted:

Terrorists spotted.

We should probably call in the National Guard so that they can be arrested shortly. Hopefully this will happen before the extremists can cause further damage.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

the shadow toker posted:

Someone please combine the ISIS dildo flag with the Don Lemon "Does This Offend You" picture

via @GeorgeBaileyDog

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr Interweb posted:

So millions of people get to keep their health insurance, millions more will be able to get married, and hell, even that Fair Housing case actually worked in favor of liberals. Seems like a pretty good June. But the real question is: does all this make up for Nintendo's lousy E3 conference?

We get Xenoblade Chronicles X later this year. :toot:

Joementum posted:

But... they actually don't matter. Like if every neo-Confederate shithead died off right now the country would be much better off.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Fried Chicken posted:

So for those keeping track we are now at 5 cases of arson directed against black churches in 6 days
Knoxville 6/21
Macon GA 6/23
Charlotte, NC 6/24
Warrenville SC 6/26
Tallahassee 6/26
What a nightmare. It's gotten lost in the Confederate flag, ACA, and gay marriage news, but it definitely deserves more attention than it's getting. Because holy poo poo did I just step into a time machine

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm afraid they don't.

They actually do, but no more than anybody else's and definetly not that much.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Knoxville 6/21
Macon GA 6/23
Charlotte, NC 6/24
Warrenville SC 6/26
Tallahassee 6/26

I hate that I have to ask, but is this higher than the typical rate?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Grundulum posted:

Significantly yes

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm afraid they don't.

Okay I'm not eager to pull some "truth is in the middle" bullshit but in this case, I think it really is;

Black southern lives matter.
Hispanic southern lives matter.
Native southern lives matter.
All other non-white southern lives matter.
Female southern lives matter.
LGBT southern lives matter.

White straight guys though, gently caress 'em.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mister Adequate posted:

Okay I'm not eager to pull some "truth is in the middle" bullshit but in this case, I think it really is;

Black southern lives matter.
Hispanic southern lives matter.
Native southern lives matter.
All other non-white southern lives matter.
Female southern lives matter.
LGBT southern lives matter.

White straight guys though, gently caress 'em.

Well there ain't any of the people who matter holding that sign. :colbert:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Meanwhile,

Bree Newsome has been released. Here is her statement:

Bree owns

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Grundulum posted:

Obviously this doesn't hold a candle to everything else that happened during Freedom Summer, but I would be curious to know how this six day stretch compares to other... uhhh sprees since then.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

Let's make it an even million

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Actually, no Americans died fighting for those flags. :hist101:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Apparently at least six black churches have been destroyed just among the four states covered in this article:

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2015/06/26/string-of-nighttime-fires-hit-predominately-black-churches-in-four-southern-states/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Joementum posted:

I was going to say the same thing....they were Confederates.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was going to say the same thing....they were Confederates.

Sounds like someone disagrees with our Prophet Abraham Lincoln.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Would probably be easier to make all the stars buttholes.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Fried Chicken posted:

Knoxville 6/21
Macon GA 6/23
Charlotte, NC 6/24
Warrenville SC 6/26
Tallahassee 6/26

I just checked up on the Tallahassee fire because that's where I live and we've had some KKK resurgence actions in the last few months, and found this:

quote:

Tallahassee Fire Department officials say the cause of the fire is under investigation but early indications lead officials to believe that it may have been an electrical fire.

A large tree limb fell on the property and power lines causing an electrical short, according to firefighters.
Seems like a normal accident to me, is there any other evidence that it was actually a hate crime?

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Joementum posted:

I think they should be considered Americans. Furthermore I have to believe the majority of the non-slave owning Confederate infantry were essentially blameless rubes (I guess part of the Southern tradition of fiercely defending stupid things for stupid reasons). The issue with the sign is it appeals to the "Are Troops" mindset, and that is disingenuous.

What actually happened is that Americans lost over 600k lives to purge the evil institution of slavery they had grown rich and dependent upon. The flag represents the violent defense of that institution, and even after its defeat in war continued to represent that violent pro-slavery mindset as the descendants of the Confederacy enforced dehumanizing and often lethal measures of control against blacks. It's a real issue to this day, when a black kid can be shot with impunity if the killer claims they were scared. So all those 600k lives were spent for a half measure as long as you keep the spirit of that backwards South alive. THE loving FLAG DOESN'T MEAN YOUR REDNECK IDENTITY, IT MEANS YOU WANT TO KILL BLACKS. IT MEANS IT SO HARD THAT IF YOU CLAIM OTHERWISE NO ONE WILL BELIEVE YOU. IT MEANS GENOCIDE IN REAL LIFE TO EVERYONE BESIDES YOU AND YOU MIGHT AS WELL HAVE A FLAG THAT SAYS "gently caress YOU OR LET'S KILL BLACKS."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Moxie posted:

I think they should be considered Americans. Furthermore I have to believe the majority of the non-slave owning Confederate infantry were essentially blameless rubes (I guess part of the Southern tradition of fiercely defending stupid things for stupid reasons).

The rest of your post is fine and all, but I do have to take issue with this. As Chandra Manning makes more than clear in What This Cruel War Was Over: Soldiers, Slavery, and the Civil War, derived entirely from primary source material, the grunts of the South understood perfectly well that the existential reason for the war was to preserve and extend slavery, and they had no problem with that, in those rare instances where they were not enthusiastic supporters of it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Apparently at least six black churches have been destroyed just among the four states covered in this article:

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2015/06/26/string-of-nighttime-fires-hit-predominately-black-churches-in-four-southern-states/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVQjGGJVSXc

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The rest of your post is fine and all, but I do have to take issue with this. As Chandra Manning makes more than clear in What This Cruel War Was Over: Soldiers, Slavery, and the Civil War, derived entirely from primary source material, the grunts of the South understood perfectly well that the existential reason for the war was to preserve and extend slavery, and they had no problem with that, in those rare instances where they were not enthusiastic supporters of it.

I don't think they understood the concept because they were illiterate tribal yokels with inadequate mental facilities to understand an atrocity happening to another person or group of people. They were the educational equivalent of Gray Parrots and it's hard to hold them responsible for a war declared by and for rich people.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

This, so much. Is it too late to expel Mississippi from the Union?

:thejoke:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Tender Bender posted:

Would probably be easier to make all the stars buttholes.

Alternating buttholes and dildos.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Joementum posted:

Apparently only ones with money.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Joementum posted:

Texas v, White (1869) suggests otherwise, Joe. :colbert:

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Moxie posted:

I don't think they understood the concept because they were illiterate tribal yokels with inadequate mental facilities to understand an atrocity happening to another person or group of people. They were the educational equivalent of Gray Parrots and it's hard to hold them responsible for a war declared by and for rich people.

Really. You think all Confederate soldiers were too stupid to understand the horror going on around them in the place that they lived. Because they didn't have formal schooling, they couldn't understand that it was wrong to keep a race of people as slaves or to commit treason to perpetuate that condition.

Incredibly, you've managed to insult both Southerners and black people here: Southerners because you're suggesting they're all gap-toothed idiot moron yokels with no capacity for apprehending the difference between right and wrong on the most basic level imaginable, and blacks because you're essentially excusing the consciously-committed crimes of their past oppressors by arguing it wasn't conscious, the poor fuckers were just too stupid to know better.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Moxie posted:

Supraluminal posted:

Really. You think all Confederate soldiers were too stupid to understand the horror going on around them in the place that they lived. Because they didn't have formal schooling, they couldn't understand that it was wrong to keep a race of people as slaves or to commit treason to perpetuate that condition.

Incredibly, you've managed to insult both Southerners and black people here: Southerners because you're suggesting they're all gap-toothed idiot moron yokels with no capacity for apprehending the difference between right and wrong on the most basic level imaginable, and blacks because you're essentially excusing the consciously-committed crimes of their past oppressors by arguing it wasn't conscious, the poor fuckers were just too stupid to know better.

At least we can all agree that they were a bunch of traitors.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

:jerkbag:

White people will never understand why all of these movements to take on racism and oppression exist in the first place.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Moxie posted:

You're wrong as the written material they left behind makes it clear that, as satisfying as it would be to write them off as Deliverance and Dukes of Hazard extras, they were mostly politically aware of what they were fighting for, despite being less educated than the equivalent Northerner. That they were, yes, less literate does not diminish that this was a flowering age of the written word even for the worse off parts of America. Seriously, read the book I cited if you've still some doubts.

Much like the Ordinary Men of a certain other war, it's far too easy to give the Confederates a pass by claiming they didn't really know what they were fighting for, when the historical record shows quite the opposite.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

centaurtainment posted:

At least we can all agree that they were a bunch of traitors.

Only sort of though, and in a way that's not especially damning. They were only (meaningfully) traitors because they lost. The evil of the Confederacy was slavery, not rebellion. The legality of Lincoln's response to secession wasn't really clear at the time, and it's not like the Constitution has a "blood in blood out" clause.

The whole US are traitors to the British. The Brits are traitors to various monarchies that got overthrown, plus Cromwell. They're all traitors to the Romans. No one really gives a poo poo.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

"Feinstein, Pelosi, Boxer. That is a short list. I refuse tio argue it. Do your research."

Someone on my Dad's lovely FB post listed this when I asked who was trying to repeal the 2nd Amendment. Can anyone point me towards some info about this? I did some basic googling and all I got were lovely right wing sites moaning about nothing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Supraluminal posted:

This has to be emphasized.

It's a pretty pernicious form of idiotic historical whitewashing to portray the average man who fought for the confederacy as a poor innocent hoodwinked idiot being manipulated like a puppet by a tiny majority of rich planters. There was certainly a fair bit of propaganda and popular opinion management encouraged by the upper classes(being a poor white is infinitely better than being a slave in our society! slaves love being slaves because black people are inferior! you don't want blacks mixing with your daughters, do you????), but that propaganda existed to reinforce what was already generally accepted. Your average confederate soldier was fully aware of the lives that your average slave led. It would be kind of loving hard to not be given the permeation of slavery throughout virtually the entire south and how central it was to the southern economy. Almost universally they either didn't give a poo poo about the plight of the black people, aspired to own slaves of their own someday, or found it distasteful but not distasteful enough to actively do anything about it.

They certainly weren't "ahyuk what's all the fuss about them negroes anyhoo?". There's a significant amount of primary source letters from your average Confederate privates talking about this.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7fgB0m_y2I

• Locked thread