Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vagabundo posted:

And even Deathproof has its moments.

The other thing about Tarantino v. Smith is that you can actually see Tarantino grow and develop as a filmmaker over 2 decades. Can you imagine Smith ever being able to pull off the tracking shot through the club in Kill Bill v. 1?

The scene in Reservoir Dogs where the camera follows Mr Blonde out to the car and back is more impressive than anything Smith has done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MattD1zzl3 posted:

For any other old actor i'd agree, but by now, after how many dozens of roles, does he not know the score of "be john mclain on film". Thats all anyone's ever expected of him. He should be happy when someone brings up moonlighting or unbreakable. It means they, despite all that, were true fans.

Smith wanted him to play it like his character on Moonlighting, which I think Willis doesn't have much fondness for.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Mr. Hand posted:

The thing is that Tarantino can always construct decent scenes that can be appreciated in and of themselves as snippets, but his 90s stuff is more cohesive and serious than his schlocky super-camp "I'm referencing poo poo I saw in the 70s" crap he's been putting out in the last decade and some.

Don't be a

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster

Toady posted:

Don't be a

A GIF from when Tarantino's work was fresh and exciting. Too bad he now only makes trite pastiches.

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster

Vagabundo posted:

And even Deathproof has its moments.

Like the scene when he arbitrarily and needlesly uses that Pino Donaggio tune from De Palma's "Blow Out"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOl_v2-BKVw

Yea, cool tune from a cool film you liked as a youngser, Tarantino. But what's the point in including it randomly in your film?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Mr. Hand posted:

A GIF from when Tarantino's work was fresh and exciting. Too bad he now only makes trite pastiches.

pretty much the only mainstream director in hollywood today making (badass) pastiches is "trite" lol gently caress off

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
The end of Death Proof had probably the most thrilling car chase I've ever seen. Casting a stunt double as the character that has to hang on to the hood of the car during the chase was genius.

EDIT: Also why the gently caress can't Uma Thurman draw a square?

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

I decided to go ahead and make a discussion thread for Quentin Tarantino (also Robert Rodriguez)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724678

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster

cat doter posted:

pretty much the only mainstream director in hollywood today making (badass) pastiches is "trite" lol gently caress off

Yes. It's trite.

I recall Tarantino's excellent 1994 interview with Charlie Rose that was included in the DVD of "Pulp Fiction" in which Tarantino rather eloquently described big films that failed which only top directors could have produced -- like "Bonfire of the Vanities" by Brian De Palma. How interesting that the modern Tarantino is afraid to be as risky as the De Palma who made "Bonfire of the Vanities" -- a film that, for its flaws, is far more interesting than what tarantino has given us in the past twelve years.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Mr. Hand posted:

Yes. It's trite.

I recall Tarantino's excellent 1994 interview with Charlie Rose that was included in the DVD of "Pulp Fiction" in which Tarantino rather eloquently described big films that failed which only top directors could have produced -- like "Bonfire of the Vanities" by Brian De Palma. How interesting that the modern Tarantino is afraid to be as risky as the De Palma who made "Bonfire of the Vanities" -- a film that, for its flaws, is far more interesting than what tarantino has given us in the past twelve years.

you could just post "I don't like tarantino anymore" and you'd look like less of a douche

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Kevin's Smiths

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster

cat doter posted:

you could just post "I don't like tarantino anymore" and you'd look like less of a douche

What a brazen insult.

I challenge you to a duel.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Mr. Hand posted:

What a brazen insult.

I challenge you to a duel.

ironically now I look like a douche

there's nothing wrong with not liking tarantino anymore, own up to it! there's nothing of value to be gained from implying that there's an objective decline in the quality of his films, there are lots of interesting arguments to be had about tarantino but "he sucks now" isn't one of them

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If you think Tarantino's 90's films were any less of rip offs of other stuff he had seen before you're insane. Reservoir Dogs is an unlicensed remake of a Japanese movie for fucks sake.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

What would be a better descriptor?

It just seems much more like an action movie to me.

It's kind of terrifying, but you're more so rooting for the main characters to kick rear end in it rather than "ZOMG! ZOMBIES."

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I assumed people grow out of quentin tarentino after high school just like they grow out of ayn rand. Kevin smith is where the puck is going.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

poonchasta posted:

EDIT: Also why the gently caress can't Uma Thurman draw a square?

It was the 90s. Maybe if you watched a compressed version of it on a 4:3 TV it became a square.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

She fails to draw a proper square in Kill Bill as well, I'm pretty sure it's pathological.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Considering that he dropped out of school mad young, I totally buy that Tarantino thinks that a rectangle is a square.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Does it really matter that a gesture isn't perfectly accurate to the shape that's being represented?

Yes, it does. Because goons, man.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

If you think Tarantino's 90's films were any less of rip offs of other stuff he had seen before you're insane. Reservoir Dogs is an unlicensed remake of a Japanese movie for fucks sake.

Hong Kong, actually. It's a mash-up of City of Fire and the Taking of the Pelham 123 (the good one, not the one where Travolta invites Denzel to lick his bunghole, muthafucka!).

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
I just watched Clerks for the first time ever. It's pretty bad. The acting from everyone is terrible and as a film it's 90 minutes of people stepping in front of the camera to deliver their lines, each one delivered exactly the same. The only thing he did that I liked is swinging the camera back and forth between the two characters when they're driving because it's used in a joke.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Sometimes i think film aficionados really dont know how to enjoy movies.

Does it involve jamming a crayon way far up my nose until it hits my brain?

Also this thread consistently delivers because I never thought I'd see somebody accuse a director of pastiche and then say he should instead be more like Brian DePalma.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pulp Fiction is pure pastiche.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

FreudianSlippers posted:

Pulp Fiction is pure pastiche.

It's dope as hell tho

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's part of what makes it great.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Pastiche? have you heard about this kevin smith?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovlp0N7ljFE&t=75s

(i dont want to know what lens they used here)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 28, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

(i dont want to know what lens they used here)

Neither does Kevin.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I'm sure Smith haters will enjoy this:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-Star-Wars-Totally-Screwed-Kevin-Smith-Comic-Con-72519.html

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Are there really people who hate Kevin Smith so much they're following the ins and outs of his life TMZ style? I just dislike his bad movies.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Are there really people who hate Kevin Smith so much they're following the ins and outs of his life TMZ style? I just dislike his bad movies.

Also, the end of that article clearly shows a packed theater, so I'm not sure how bad you have to be at 'entertainment journalism' before they just straight up fire you for reading tweets all day and eating Cheetos.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I saw Red State recently and I liked it more than I had expected. Sure it's a bit clumsy in places but Micheal Parks really kills it. I just wish they'd wouldn't have chickened out on the ending and actually had the world end. It would've a been a bit stupid but more fun than the ending they went with. I hear they were going to but had to change it for budget reasons but how much money could it cost to have four sinister horsemen, or even just one on a pale horse, appear for a couple of shots?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
After seeing Tusk, I'm very interested in finally seeing Red State. It was so lambasted, and I already don't care for Smith's films, so why bother? But, yeah, turned out Tusk was actually quite interesting. Horror might actually be much more Smith's forte.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Maybe you missed the person posting pictures of Smith's daughter in the Bart Simpson dress earlier in the thread.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

zandert33 posted:

Maybe you missed the person posting pictures of Smith's daughter in the Bart Simpson dress earlier in the thread.

It was a super awesome dress.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

K. Waste posted:

After seeing Tusk, I'm very interested in finally seeing Red State. It was so lambasted, and I already don't care for Smith's films, so why bother? But, yeah, turned out Tusk was actually quite interesting. Horror might actually be much more Smith's forte.

I didnt hate tusk, but "red state" is a much more well executed movie. There are plenty of real confusing, disorienting moments and it works really well.

its almost game of thrones-like in its killing off of so many people you would think had plot armor. Including all three protagonists.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

I saw Red State recently and I liked it more than I had expected. Sure it's a bit clumsy in places but Micheal Parks really kills it. I just wish they'd wouldn't have chickened out on the ending and actually had the world end. It would've a been a bit stupid but more fun than the ending they went with. I hear they were going to but had to change it for budget reasons but how much money could it cost to have four sinister horsemen, or even just one on a pale horse, appear for a couple of shots?

Do you not see how an ending where the crazy, gay hating religious people were actually totally right the whole time, and the sins of homosexuality caused the apocalypse might be kind of...you know.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

TheJoker138 posted:

Do you not see how an ending where the crazy, gay hating religious people were actually totally right the whole time, and the sins of homosexuality caused the apocalypse might be kind of...you know.

Great?

edit: besides, Smith's original ending was much closer to - not spoilering because it didn't happen - everyone dies, virtually no one is spared God's wrath, it really has nothing to do with homosexuality.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 12, 2015

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Here's a goofy animated version of Smith's original bugnuts ending.

http://youtu.be/DtXEtwAVgEc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

For Kevin Smith's movies, I can take or leave them but I can listen to him tell stories all day. I really liked his Evening with Kevin Smith specials and I enjoy him talking about geek stuff on his Fatman on Batman podcast (I heard Hollywood Babble-On is pretty great too). Has anyone given the Death of "Superman Lives"; What Happened? documentary a look? He's featured pretty heavily in the trailer.

• Locked thread