Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a map of gathering nodes somewhere? I don't feel like running around in bigass zones hitting Lay of the Land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zanael posted:

The community is mostly super nice and I've only had a handful of stupid people in the few months I've played

This can't be overstated. The community is generally friendly and helpful. Of course there are still assholes out there, but they are definitely in the minority. This is partly because there are incentives to being helpful (you can choose to commend other players at the end of a dungeon, and you get cosmetic rewards for amassing commendations), but also because there's no incentive to not be helpful. There's no world PVP because everyone's on the same side; you don't have to compete for resource gathering nodes because those are all personal; you don't even have to compete for tagging mobs - as long as you do enough damage you get full credit for killing the mob, even if you don't tag it first. Basically you have to go out of your way to be a dick to someone. I tried out the new WOW expansion a few months ago, and when I started doing heroics at 100, I had people constantly sneering at me for not being decked out in epics. I've never experienced that in FF14, or if I have, then it was rare enough that I don't remember it.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
MSDR oddly has a ton of idiots/assholes for some reason though

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
The only time anybody ever mentioned me being badly geared in this game was a healer apologizing for not realizing I was still at a low ilevel after after asking for bigger pulss and then letting me die. :shobon:

Even though sometimes full PUGs bungle mechanics or fail to beat bosses or wipe a bunch of times, I've hardly ever seen anybody get nasty about it.

Anyway! What cross-class abilities should I be using as MCH? I'm only like 34 or so, but I want to get into good habits.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Rincewind posted:

Anyway! What cross-class abilities should I be using as MCH? I'm only like 34 or so, but I want to get into good habits.
I don't play MCH, but general DPS dogma is Invig/B4B/Raging/Quelling, and then probably Hawk's Eye since you use DEX. The wiki says you can get Straight Shot but I feel like I definitely would have noticed that when I picked up the class and played a token level.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rincewind posted:

The only time anybody ever mentioned me being badly geared in this game was a healer apologizing for not realizing I was still at a low ilevel after after asking for bigger pulss and then letting me die. :shobon:

Even though sometimes full PUGs bungle mechanics or fail to beat bosses or wipe a bunch of times, I've hardly ever seen anybody get nasty about it.

I don't play the class, but looking at the options, it should be:

Invigorate, Blood for Blood, Hawk's Eye, Raging Strikes, Quelling Strikes

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Hivac posted:

In endgame content you're definitely going to run into some typical MMO assholes who throw a fit if everybody isn't geared out the rear end and doing everything perfectly, and there are some people who just don't have the patience for people learning fights (especially if it's stuff they're used to running fast and want to speedrun 100% of the time, hence the MSDR jerks). Most people are pretty chill, but an MMO's still an MMO.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 28, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hivac posted:

Yeah, that's one of the big exceptions unfortunately. On the other hand, SE seems to have learned the lesson of why it's bad to make a big dungeon interspersed with long cutscenes and then incentivise overgeared people to "help". ARF and the final trial are much better in that respect.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

The thing I still don't get is people who ragequit brand-new content after a couple of wipes. It's like, what, this boss has existed for all of two days and you're already such an expert you can't deal with people feeling out the mechanics? Your next DF group's not gonna know the fight any better, man.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Hivac posted:

Which is just weird to me. New players grant bonuses (well, worthless ones now but that wasn't the case until this last week) so they're nice to have, and you can plow through either instance with 5 people or less, so there's no point in being an rear end in a top hat about it. Just let new players watch cutscenes while you beat poo poo up. Yet for some reason people have been assholes about it since at least day 3 because I remember people being assholes about it since I ran it the first time on day 3 :v:

That said, that's not entirely not the fault of players as the design of Casrum/Praetorium is just bad for a myriad of reasons, which I'm happy to report they've learned from and not repeated since. Still, I wish everyone would just calm the gently caress down about it and not be assholes to new players, and those new players who insist on doing slowass story runs avail themselves of party finder and grouping with friends/fcmates instead of being whiny primadonnas when DF groups inevitably want to just plow through it.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rincewind posted:

A good MCH habit is to not play MCH, and instead play another class

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Freak Futanari posted:

A good MCH habit is to not play MCH, and instead play another class

Counterpoint: if you're going to level MCH, the time to do it is now, while there's still plenty of DRKs in the sea.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yeah the community is definitely a positive in this game. I just did a low level roulette and there was some fresh-faced level 19 GLD tanking. He was doing pretty poorly and finally mentioned in party chat that he was new to tanking and didn't really know what he was doing wrong.

I'm not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't everyone in the party pretty much saying "it's cool we've all been there" and giving him earnest advice and going easy on the DPS to help him keep enmity. Refreshing in an MMORPG.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Robo Reagan posted:

I decided to make my own menu because the default one is bloated and missing stuff at the same time

The gif sucks because the program I made it with only records for a few seconds :v:

This is really cool, although way too :effort: for me

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Opposing Farce posted:

Counterpoint: if you're going to level MCH, the time to do it is now, while there's still plenty of DRKs in the sea.

And I'm basically just leveling MCH on the side because I like the feel of it a lot. I'm going so slowly that I'm sure the class balance will be better by the time I get anywhere near 60, anyway.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
On the community, I think it helps that FFXIV is a celebration as opposed to other MMOs that are more about author wankery or bullshit grinds.

Countblanc posted:

Are there any commonly used strats for the last boss of Library? I've only done it once and it was with a mumble premade so it was easy to bark orders over voice, and if there's something duty finder groups have been doing I'd rather just learn that for the future.

*Edit - I'm an rear end in a top hat, sorry, just started bloviating strat on a fight you've clearly done. I haven't DFed it enough to see a common strat from other players, but I've gone with a simple macro which pubs have picked up on easily enough. Pair up for II, mark one person for III and everyone follows them.

isk fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 28, 2015

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Evil Fluffy posted:

Did you really think the absurd amount of ASOIAF references in ARR were all purely coincidence? Hell in 3.0 you have Dusk Vigil full of Castle Black and Night's Watch (oh and don't forget the ice zombie enemies) references specifically. In 2.0 you had things like Sppokycroft's boss using Red Wedding as an attack which was kinda neat, but the aforementioned area and its references are on a whole new level.

Also the term lord commander, both in that dungeon and Ishgard. Not to mention a bunch of book poo poo I've seen pop up: "much and more", "little and less" and even goddamn "nuncle" in a story quest. Gonna poo poo myself if a "where do whores go" reference appears.

e: oh yeah, the DV boss also has a move called Winds of Winter. lol GURM will die before that book is finished

POLICE CAR AUCTION fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 28, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rei_ posted:

wait really?

The i160 stuff is all Tactics Ogre class gear. The weapons are Baldur weapons. I'm not huge on the MNK outfit's giant boots and shorts but tanks get to be goddamn Terror Knights :black101:

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Also the term lord commander, both in that dungeon and Ishgard. Not to mention a bunch of book poo poo I've seen pop up: "much and more", "little and less" and even goddamn "nuncle" in a story quest. Gonna poo poo myself if a "where do whores go" reference appears.

e: oh yeah, the DV boss also has a move called Winds of Winter. lol GURM will die before that book is finished

Yeah that place is easily the most heavily ASOIAF-filled part of FFXIV.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Did you really think the absurd amount of ASOIAF references in ARR were all purely coincidence? Hell in 3.0 you have Dusk Vigil full of Castle Black and Night's Watch (oh and don't forget the ice zombie enemies) references specifically. In 2.0 you had things like Sppokycroft's boss using Red Wedding as an attack which was kinda neat, but the aforementioned area and its references are on a whole new level.

Though the use of Tactics Ogre gearsets just makes me want an Ogre Battle event/dungeon/raid even more. You could even give each class an outfit from a major character. PLD can use either Destin or Lans, BLM is Warren, NIN is Vice, DRK is Lans Tartare...etc.

Oh I noticed a ton, no doubt. DV especially but I just attributed that to the localization more than anything. I was expecting some article about Yoshi-P being into GoT after Koji introduced it something which is why I asked. It's great though, it's all been great.

:allears:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I've just hit 32 with my ARC/SCH/SMN and was just wondering, I was thinking of levelling mostly as the SMN as it's DPS but then I could queue for dungeons as a Scholar for healing. But I don't really know much about the Scholar or what the new summons do, do I have the support one out or the healing one in instances?

Also, when I'm levelling up I'm just putting it all in INT. Is there a way to have the Summoner have INT / Scholar have Mind? Or just too bad, I have to focus on one or the other with my attributes?

Also, I guess just in general where is a good resource/lets play/wiki on actually playing this classes, and some like 'must do' things like for example should I level my sub classes of THM or CNJ to certain levels so I can grab certain skills from them?

I just feel so lost in this game sometimes and feel like I"m not doing it as efficiently as possible. I'm paranoid about just being an idiot in it ever since I played WoW back in original and tried to go survival / melee hunter :(

Also is there a point to levelling up my crafting like say, weaver so I can create gear as I level, or cooking so I can create buff food or just blast grind it when I'm 50 at the end?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Any links to images of the Tactics Ogre sets?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

teacup posted:

So I've just hit 32 with my ARC/SCH/SMN and was just wondering, I was thinking of levelling mostly as the SMN as it's DPS but then I could queue for dungeons as a Scholar for healing. But I don't really know much about the Scholar or what the new summons do, do I have the support one out or the healing one in instances?
That's what I did as I leveled my first character! Read up on scholar's abilities. You generally want Selene (Summon II) out while you're learning the class, and in most non-bleeding-edge content, because she works fine on Sic and you don't have to micromanage her. Eos can be kind of an idiot re: when she uses her regen and buff.

quote:

Also, when I'm levelling up I'm just putting it all in INT. Is there a way to have the Summoner have INT / Scholar have Mind? Or just too bad, I have to focus on one or the other with my attributes?
It's "too bad," sorry. The item to reset your attributes is very cheap from your grand company, however, and the bonuses don't make THAT big a difference.

quote:

Also, I guess just in general where is a good resource/lets play/wiki on actually playing this classes, and some like 'must do' things like for example should I level my sub classes of THM or CNJ to certain levels so I can grab certain skills from them?
Google your class name on Reddit and you'll find stuff. You can also ask ingame and your FC will likely be able to help.

As a scholar you want Swiftcast from thaumaturge 27 and stoneskin from conjurer 32, though to be quite honest I didn't get either of those until after I hit 50, so it's not a big deal. :v: As a summoner you want quelling strikes from archer 32 and the aforementioned swiftcast.

quote:

I just feel so lost in this game sometimes and feel like I"m not doing it as efficiently as possible. I'm paranoid about just being an idiot in it ever since I played WoW back in original and tried to go survival / melee hunter :(
People are nice in this game, generally, and will help you out. There's a lot to learn, but there's also a lot of guides and tutorials online if you Google for them. Just make sure they're fairly recent.

quote:

Also is there a point to levelling up my crafting like say, weaver so I can create gear as I level, or cooking so I can create buff food or just blast grind it when I'm 50 at the end?
Trying to level crafting as you level a battle class is an exercise in misery unless you are in this game entirely for the crafting. I would wait until at LEAST level 41 and the subsequent story quests, so you have access to ixali daily quests, which can really help leveling crafting if you want to get into it.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Running dungeons as a SCH and then doing solo content with SMN is pretty standard, since SCH gets better queues than SMN (Although this is temporarily reversed thanks to the glut of DRKs running around).

Healing pre-50 dungeons as a scholar is very easy; in fact, it's often referred to as the healing class for people who hate to heal because you can spend an entire dungeon nearly in cleric stance and just have your fairy+Rouse do all the work for you. Setting your character to auto-follow the tank and then going to make a sandwich is a thing that some people actually do. Set your important spells to easy to access hot-keys (I like E and R for Physic and Adlo, with Succor on Q, for example). Run some low-level dungeons for practice if you like.

As far as cross-class skills you're going to really want THM at 26 for swiftcast, and CNJ high enough at least to get protect and cleric stance.

Your grand company sells items called "hymns" which you can use to respec your character at any time. They cost a measly 250 seals, so just buy a stack and respec whenever. Or don't, because even at max level it's not too big a difference unless you're doing hard fights like extreme primals.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

teacup posted:

Getting THM to 26 for Swiftcast is the one "must do" for both SMN and SCH. For SMN you should also get ARC to 4 for Raging Strikes, but that's pretty trivial. SCH gets all the good skills they need (Cleric Stance and Protect) from getting CNJ to 15 to unlock the job, but you can also go the extra distance and take it to 34 for Stoneskin.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The class threads on FFGoons are decent for cross-class skills as well. And of course you can always ask in FC chat, if you're in a goon guild/LS.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Trying to level crafting as you level a battle class is an exercise in misery unless you are in this game entirely for the crafting. I would wait until at LEAST level 41 and the subsequent story quests, so you have access to ixali daily quests, which can really help leveling crafting if you want to get into it.
At least for 50+ ixal quests are only 10k exp each. I'm not sure if it's also nerfed for pre-50. Best way to level is leves and GC item turn-in, supplemented with collectibles post 50.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Algid posted:

At least for 50+ ixal quests are only 10k exp each. I'm not sure if it's also nerfed for pre-50. Best way to level is leves and GC item turn-in, supplemented with collectibles post 50.

the sealant quests aren't worth doing post-50 but Deliverance still gives full exp for the turn-ins.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

They're listed at like 15k at the most. I don't remember if there's HQ bonus, but I can get over 20k off a single synth around level 55.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

Getting THM to 26 for Swiftcast is the one "must do" for both SMN and SCH. For SMN you should also get ARC to 4 for Raging Strikes, but that's pretty trivial. SCH gets all the good skills they need (Cleric Stance and Protect) from getting CNJ to 15 to unlock the job, but you can also go the extra distance and take it to 34 for Stoneskin.

Though it's worth noting that Stoneskin isn't needed outside of raid content and if you'll be perfectly fine without it if you're not interested in it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
For as nice as the community is it sucks that the ability to socialize with random people is still stuck in the Stone Age. You can't friends list someone if they aren't online. You have no idea what server someone Is on unless you ask them. Then if it's not your server good luck seeing them again. You can't play with people on different servers.

One thing wow does right is battle.net. It would be nice to see SE implement something like that. I'm just going to assume it's 1.0 legacy code making it like this.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Christ the music in this game is incredible, I mean 2.0 had some really good tracks but all three trials and a lot of the dungeons have KILLER tracks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rei_ posted:

Christ the music in this game is incredible, I mean 2.0 had some really good tracks but all three trials and a lot of the dungeons have KILLER tracks.

Sometimes I idle in Azys Lla just to listen to the music while I do other things.

Holyshoot posted:

For as nice as the community is it sucks that the ability to socialize with random people is still stuck in the Stone Age. You can't friends list someone if they aren't online. You have no idea what server someone Is on unless you ask them. Then if it's not your server good luck seeing them again. You can't play with people on different servers.

One thing wow does right is battle.net. It would be nice to see SE implement something like that. I'm just going to assume it's 1.0 legacy code making it like this.

Yeah this is probably the game's biggest, most glaring weakness and I really hope they make things better.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I would really like to party with my friends who are on other servers. It's definitely a shame.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So what's the word on Relic/Zodiac weapons? I resubbed and got my Zenith Relic for posterity but should I bother doing all the Zodiac stuff or just leave it?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Do you get any significant XP rewards from doing various patched-in/hard mode 2.x dungeons for the first time? I have like 20 I'd need to to do to unlock the High Level Duty Roulette, but I figure I'll just save them until I hit level 60 and need more content to mess with unless there's a decent XP reward for me at level 57

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Fister Roboto posted:

Sometimes I idle in Azys Lla just to listen to the music while I do other things.

:psyduck: What the gently caress, this is too good to just be some zone theme

Griz
May 21, 2001

Algid posted:

They're listed at like 15k at the most. I don't remember if there's HQ bonus, but I can get over 20k off a single synth around level 55.

HQ starred items are like 60k each which is a decent chunk of exp at low 50s but probably not worth the effort later on.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The KotL boss music is one of my favorite pieces from the soundtrack of all time. It just goes with the fight so well.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

8-bit Miniboss posted:

So what's the word on Relic/Zodiac weapons? I resubbed and got my Zenith Relic for posterity but should I bother doing all the Zodiac stuff or just leave it?

Just leave it. You get handed an equivalent to a Zodiac or dreadwyrm at 56. The zenith will be fine for doing 2.0-2.55 story with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Intoluene posted:

Just leave it. You get handed an equivalent to a Zodiac or dreadwyrm at 56. The zenith will be fine for doing 2.0-2.55 story with.

Will there be another epic weapon questline in the expansion?

• Locked thread