Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Meep.

Oovee fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Does anybody have experience with Sennheiser Urbanites? I love the style, and I've heard great things about the sound and build quality, although apparently there are issues with comfort.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Galaspar posted:

Does anybody have experience with Sennheiser Urbanites? I love the style, and I've heard great things about the sound and build quality, although apparently there are issues with comfort.

A first gen Momentum is a better buy. Better sound quality and on clearance because the second generation was just released. Also quite comfortable (both on and over ear)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

edit: nevermind

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 23, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Galaspar posted:

I was eyeing the Urbanite XLs a while ago because I dig the styling, but after reading reviews I decided to pass. Unfortunate, because they look so great.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

grack posted:

A first gen Momentum is a better buy. Better sound quality and on clearance because the second generation was just released. Also quite comfortable (both on and over ear)

I bought a pair of first gen on ear Momentum a few weeks back for ~$85 on Amazon. They're comfortable, fit great and sound pretty good while riding a train. My biggest gripe is that the first gens don't fold up like the Urbanites or the 2nd gens.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

grack posted:

Every review I've seen of the over-ear Momentums mentions how tiny the ear cups are. I've got roughly average length ears, 63mm, and I just don't see how the heck they're supposed to fit.

Shame because they're supposed to sound pretty good and I love the styling.

<edit> Now that I'm looking more closely the Momentum's earcups are only a few mm smaller than my K240's and those are pretty comfy. I think I might just bite the bullet and order a set. I've been wanting a closed-back set of cans for work.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 23, 2015

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Haven't tried the over ears, but the on-ear Momentums are pretty nice. I have a giant head but they fit pretty comfortably and they sound good.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Budget - Anything < $1000 preferably ~500
Source - My computer, iPhone
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEMs
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced or slightly bass heavy
Past Headphones - Currently using B&O PLAY H8
Preferred Music - Everything from classical to EDM to podcasts

Basically I'm looking for the best IEMs under $1000. Don't want to need an amp. My ears seem to be very sensitive lately meaning I can't listen to my on ear headphones for very long. Comfort is almost the most important part but not at the expense of sound quality.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd like a nice wholesome open headphones to replace my speakers, I wanna spend around £110ish max (~170 USD). I listen to a lot of music and sometimes I play video games. I have my eye on the sennheiser HD 558s because they seem to fit all that but I was wondering do I need a sound card??? or can I just plug them right into my 3.5mm motherboard jack

e: also is this foam mod thing legit?

e: also I know they're "open" but if I'm listening to a song really loud it's not gonna go through walls and be as loud as speakers which are the same "volume" that I can hear right ? ? ?

e: if I buy headphones called audiophile friendly I won't be put on some sort of watchlist will i ?

BurnBlackJay fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 27, 2015

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
HD 558s are respectable for their price. Audiophile is just a marketing buzzword they use, it doesn't make a product inherently bad, and means a different thing when they use it.

You don't need a sound card, ever, not unless you're planning on using an HTPC (home theatre pc). These are a big waste of money under most circumstances and can cause driver conflicts in games.

Most onboard audio is completely respectable. It just lacks volume output for low impedance headphones. I'm not familiar with the 558s, but someone else who is, could chime in on if it needs an amp.

The only problem with onboard sound, is depending on the system, sometimes it's horribly noisy on the front panel jack (mine screeches and is unbearable). So for better quality and convenience, you can buy yourself a USB DAC + AMP for about $100.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

So as an update, I decided to get custom fit IEMs. I went with the Ultimate Ears 5 pro as they seemed near a sweet spot for what I wanted to pay. I really wanted to order a pair of Nobles but I don't want to wait for 2 months for them to be built.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The 558 are only 50 ohm and designed to work with non-amped sources.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ochowie posted:

So as an update, I decided to get custom fit IEMs. I went with the Ultimate Ears 5 pro as they seemed near a sweet spot for what I wanted to pay. I really wanted to order a pair of Nobles but I don't want to wait for 2 months for them to be built.

That's why Noble offers rush orders...

The UE 5 pro should be real nice, though. Congrats.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Please let us know how you like them. A solid pair of IEMs are on my list, wouldn't mind losing these $30 ones.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I went headphone shopping yesterday.

I tried out a whole bunch. Here were my non-expert opinon. DISCLAIMER: All of these headphones did sound "good" but this is what I felt about them. I'm gonna talk about their flaws which is obviously going to exaggerate what they sound like. Also, this is purely my opinion, I wouldn't claim to be an expert at all!

Sennheiser Momentum:
Sennheiser to me have a characteristic sound which I'm not a big fan of. Things in the top end for me lack weight and they sound a little plasticky. The newer version of the Momentum does sound a lot better.

Beyerdynamic T51i:
NEARLY bought these. I feel these would be better as an over-ear headphone rather than an on-ear headphone. I love the detail and there was a surprising amount of bass. I felt as though the top end was a bit hyped (some of the toms sounded clicky), but I think that might've been due to the fact that I was comparing on-ear to over-ear headphones.

Audio-Technica M50X:
Surprisingly good fun. These were very comfortable and sounded surprisingly good. However there is a mid-scoop somewhere (I think in the lower mids?) and a big bass boost. They lacked a bit of detail, but really, for the money are pretty fantastic.

Beyerdynamic DT770:
This is was I ended up buying. It seemed to be a middle-ground between the T51 and the M50x. It had better mids and was more balanced than the M50, Very comfortable as well.

HOWEVER: I bought my DT770s home and the left driver is hosed. On low frequencies, it rattles and buzzes. I'm taking them back on Monday and getting it sorted. Some googling reveals that this is fairly common so I'm not 100% sure I didn't just get a friday fuckup. I was wondering if it's worth swapping the DT770s for another pair of DT770s or get something else?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Budget - No more than ¥15,000 (I'm buying in Japan) unless there is a *massive* jump just north of that amount.
Source - iPhone and laptop
Isolation Requirements - Not terribly; anything beyond the natural seal is a bonus.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural, please. Everything else I've tried felt uncomfortable after a while.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced to slightly bass-heavy, but this isn't a deal breaker.
Past Headphones - I have never bought headphones, except for a $10 pair in 1997 to go with my awesome portable CD player.
Preferred Music - Classical, classic rock, the occasional bass-heavy thing like R&B or techno, podcasts/video reviews

Additional comments:
Must be available in Japan; in-store preferred unless the online prices are head-and-shoulders cheaper. A microphone built into the wire would be nice, but again not a deal breaker. Don't feel like paying a Bluetooth premium. I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, so when a reviewer says "I found the mids muddy on this set" I have no frame of reference to interpret that. I *can* say that everything but the bass on the MDR-XB950 I tried was washed away in comparison, so that model is a non-starter. I am obviously not a professional audio person, so I would prefer a somewhat small overall size; the Sony MDR-10R is a good size, while the JVC HA-RZ910 is garishly large.

I'm standing in the Yodobashi Camera here in Tokyo and going to purchase the Sony MDR-10R for ¥15,000 just so I can get out of here and get on with my day. But there are quite literally hundreds of other demo units (Philips, Bose, Sony, Audiotechnica, Shure, Skullcandy, Sennheiser, Denon, and so on and so on) ranging in price from ¥2,000 to ¥100,000, and I'm overwhelmed by the variety. Please tell me if I'm making a horrible decision. I can return these if I've made a terrible mistake. The pricing here seems vaguely like alcohols, where each company puts out one or more products in every price range to match everyone's "well, I'd pay about this much for headphones" price.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Grundulum posted:

Budget - No more than ¥15,000 (I'm buying in Japan) unless there is a *massive* jump just north of that amount.
Source - iPhone and laptop
Isolation Requirements - Not terribly; anything beyond the natural seal is a bonus.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural, please. Everything else I've tried felt uncomfortable after a while.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced to slightly bass-heavy, but this isn't a deal breaker.
Past Headphones - I have never bought headphones, except for a $10 pair in 1997 to go with my awesome portable CD player.
Preferred Music - Classical, classic rock, the occasional bass-heavy thing like R&B or techno, podcasts/video reviews

Additional comments:
Must be available in Japan; in-store preferred unless the online prices are head-and-shoulders cheaper. A microphone built into the wire would be nice, but again not a deal breaker. Don't feel like paying a Bluetooth premium. I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, so when a reviewer says "I found the mids muddy on this set" I have no frame of reference to interpret that. I *can* say that everything but the bass on the MDR-XB950 I tried was washed away in comparison, so that model is a non-starter. I am obviously not a professional audio person, so I would prefer a somewhat small overall size; the Sony MDR-10R is a good size, while the JVC HA-RZ910 is garishly large.

I'm standing in the Yodobashi Camera here in Tokyo and going to purchase the Sony MDR-10R for ¥15,000 just so I can get out of here and get on with my day. But there are quite literally hundreds of other demo units (Philips, Bose, Sony, Audiotechnica, Shure, Skullcandy, Sennheiser, Denon, and so on and so on) ranging in price from ¥2,000 to ¥100,000, and I'm overwhelmed by the variety. Please tell me if I'm making a horrible decision. I can return these if I've made a terrible mistake. The pricing here seems vaguely like alcohols, where each company puts out one or more products in every price range to match everyone's "well, I'd pay about this much for headphones" price.

The yobobashi camera in aki usually has pretty marked up prices. I'd recommend going on amazon.jp and looking for a pair of audio Technica m50s.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
On amazon.co.jp, the Sony headphones I bought are just under ¥13,000, and exactly the same price as I paid in Yodobashi today. The audiotechnica model you mentioned is listed between ¥18,000 and ¥30,000 depending on whether I want an ATH-M50x from Amazon or an ATH-M50 from a reseller. Both of those are outside my target price range.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ochowie posted:

Budget - Anything < $1000 preferably ~500
Source - My computer, iPhone
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEMs
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced or slightly bass heavy
Past Headphones - Currently using B&O PLAY H8
Preferred Music - Everything from classical to EDM to podcasts

Basically I'm looking for the best IEMs under $1000. Don't want to need an amp. My ears seem to be very sensitive lately meaning I can't listen to my on ear headphones for very long. Comfort is almost the most important part but not at the expense of sound quality.

I don't know man, but diminishing returns on sound quality kicks in hard for IEMs before you even hit the $50 mark these days.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

That's why Noble offers rush orders...

The UE 5 pro should be real nice, though. Congrats.

I thought about doing a rush order but it's $400 to do that so I figured I'd start with the UE to see if I liked them and then order Noble next year when time would be less of a factor.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

So I spent a stupid amount of money and bought a pair of Beats Solo2 Wireless headphones. Haha look at the idiot. Anyway, I love the sound and REALLY love the bluetooth, but I find the band is a bit tight after a while. Is there anything I can do to stretch them out a bit? I can't return them so my only option would be to re-sell them and I'd take a significant hit if I did that... I really just need them to loosen up a bit and they'll be perfect.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

So I spent a stupid amount of money and bought a pair of Beats Solo2 Wireless headphones. Haha look at the idiot. Anyway, I love the sound and REALLY love the bluetooth, but I find the band is a bit tight after a while. Is there anything I can do to stretch them out a bit? I can't return them so my only option would be to re-sell them and I'd take a significant hit if I did that... I really just need them to loosen up a bit and they'll be perfect.

I tried the Solo2's when I was looking for Bluetooth on-ears and I really liked their look and sound but they were some of the tightest most uncomfortable headphones I've ever tried. I couldn't figure out anyway to stretch them without fear of breaking them. Good luck.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I'm a bit worried about it. They don't feel like they're going to break, I just don't think they're going to give in...

I left them like this for a day and a half...

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Jabra Revo wireless and Jabra Rox earbuds are both great.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone have any hands-on (ears-on? :v: ) experience with Sol Republic Tracks Air? I'm really interested in the feature they describe where it can be simultaneously paired with two devices... e.g. watching Netflix on a tablet and pickup a call on your phone at the same time. I've heard the audio quality isn't great though.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Grundulum posted:

On amazon.co.jp, the Sony headphones I bought are just under ¥13,000, and exactly the same price as I paid in Yodobashi today. The audiotechnica model you mentioned is listed between ¥18,000 and ¥30,000 depending on whether I want an ATH-M50x from Amazon or an ATH-M50 from a reseller. Both of those are outside my target price range.

Wow - It's been about a year since I bought mine and they were right about 15,000 yen.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Shankel Magnus posted:

Wow - It's been about a year since I bought mine and they were right about 15,000 yen.

I guess my big question is whether there are headphones of comparable/better quality than the Sony pair I bought at comparable/cheaper prices. I was satisfied with the sound from those headphones in the ~10 minutes of listening I did, but I didn't have the time or energy to do a similar test for every pair of headphones in the store.

Am I missing out on equivalent sound and comfort in a set that's half the price because I didn't walk one aisle over and check the JVC's?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Grundulum posted:

I guess my big question is whether there are headphones of comparable/better quality than the Sony pair I bought at comparable/cheaper prices. I was satisfied with the sound from those headphones in the ~10 minutes of listening I did, but I didn't have the time or energy to do a similar test for every pair of headphones in the store.

Am I missing out on equivalent sound and comfort in a set that's half the price because I didn't walk one aisle over and check the JVC's?

If you tried the headphones before you bought them and liked the way they felt and sounded what's the issue?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

If you tried the headphones before you bought them and liked the way they felt and sounded what's the issue?

The nagging feeling that you could've found something you liked even better for the same or lower cost, I suppose?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I made a headphone stand out of pipe and leftover stain, urethane, and scrap wood

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

GokieKS posted:

The nagging feeling that you could've found something you liked even better for the same or lower cost, I suppose?

This, exactly. I'm spending the equivalent of over $100 on something whose market I'm unfamiliar with, and where there are hundreds of options from perhaps dozens of brands, meaning there are about ten choices in every $10 increment I should care to spend. For all I know there *is* that unicorn of headphones that meets all my needs, sounds great, and costs $40 less. :shrug:

With more time I would have been reading this thread for a few months to get a handle on recommendations, but this was more or less an impulse buy.

Edit: I have to say, though, the fact that nobody had a ready-made suggestion is making me feel better about the pair I did buy. So thanks for the lack of suggestions, I guess? (And thanks to the one person who did offer an idea, even though it didn't pan out.)

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 30, 2015

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Budget: Under $200.
Source: My galaxy S4, sometimes my laptop.
Preferred type of headphone: Over ear.
Preferred tonal balance: Slightly bass heavy.
Previous headphones: I've had Creative Aurvana Lives for about two years and I liked them but the left cup just stopped working. I always take them to and from campus and have them in my backpack all day.
Type of music: Mostly hip hop. Some pop/r&b.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I made a headphone stand out of pipe and leftover stain, urethane, and scrap wood

extremely cool

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

absolem posted:

extremely cool

What are the amp/dac you are using for those Audeze'? Love the stand.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks guys. :) The DAC is my old Icon HDP and the amplifier is a self-built AMB Labs Beta-22 with an arduino-controlled resistor ladder and linear power supply.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
my MEE M6 that never worked right and I always hated finally broke. can anybody a pair of good gym/studying earbuds/IEMs/whatever that have a built in remote and aren't crap?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
My Sennheiser HD-280s finally died - the headband snapped clean. They were 9 years old, and they themselves were a replacement for a barely-still-in-warranty set before. Though they served well as an all-purpose headphone I was never really in love with them: a little too dry, a little light on bass (the low bass they were known for never quite happened on that replacement set. The first set had bass you could feel).

So I need new office headphones.

Budget $100, stretch to $150
Source laptops, iPhone 6, unlikely to see an amp/DAC
Isolation Requirements I work in a busy open office. The HD280s made it so I could keep my volume low and ignore conversations happening near me, so something close to that.
Preferred Type of Headphone Over-ear, closed
Preferred Tonal Balance Warm to neutral? I'll add brief opinions on the headphones I've had below:
Past Headphones Sennheiser HD-280 (dry, light bass, though I appreciated the clarity); Grado SR60 (so fun, really enjoy the midrange and impact, could probably do with more low bass), Sennheiser HD-497 (honestly I don't even remember now), and a pair of urBeats IEMs that I won (awful bloated floppy bass, gutted midrange, weird highs)
Preferred Music Rock, metal, electronic (but not really EDM), pop. If the headphones were going to favor one area, it'd have to be rock/metal

Really if I could buy closed cans that sounded like SR60s I would, but that's not really an option, and they might be a bit much for all-day office listening. If I'm honest I probably don't even need to spend $100. I'm working, not doing intense listening, they don't have to be amazing. Comfy, and fairly isolating, but not perfectly balanced or "musical" or whatever.

I'm eyeing the NVX XPT100/Brainwavz HM5 or the Creative Aurvana Live!.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Anyone have any experience with Oppo PM-3s? They ranked highest in this Wirecutter article on best over-ear headphones around ~$400. But I'm wary of the additional $100 over comparable headphones plus the additional fragility--not that I'll be throwing these things around, but poo poo happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
What the gently caress is it with Sennheiser cables? The cable to the left earpiece on my HD595s wore out, the useless reinforcement at the joint doing nothing to help. I replaced it with HD600 and after two years the same thing happens. At least the 600 has a connector instead of soldered cables so you can replace it easily except it looks like you want to buy a 650 cable as the 600 one costs $40!