Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Rantasmo's done a video on Boat Trip. It's a comedy about two loser straight guys who go on a gay cruise by mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

The Vosgian Beast posted:

EDIT: Wait I was confused, it wasn't AVGN it was Yahtzee and here it is http://yahtzeecrowshawsucks.blogspot.com

You'd think a guy that passionate about GamerGate would know how to spell Zoe Quinn's name.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Spoony and Angry Joe both have blogs dedicated to how much people hate them. They seem to watch the content more obsessively than actual fans do just so they can complain.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tracula posted:

Spoony and Angry Joe both have blogs dedicated to how much people hate them. They seem to watch the content more obsessively than actual fans do just so they can complain.

Don't really get why Joe? He seems like a nice guy and everyone in this thread who met him thinks he's a passionate, pleasant person.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You'd also figure that even gamergaters would like him because he takes developers to task on lovely projects. It's almost like people don't like video games journalism.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Because they didn't like Joe telling them that harassing a woman is bad.

But no you see that didn't really happen because she's a women it's just a small percentage and she has bad opinio :fuckoff:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I think people dislike Joe for being a dweeb sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3afubBLsS1I

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I'd post the videos of Joe being really loving awkward when he's interviewing people (I think Keighley and Felicia Day are two of them?) but I don't want to search for them because they're so cringe.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Genetic Toaster posted:

I'd post the videos of Joe being really loving awkward when he's interviewing people (I think Keighley and Felicia Day are two of them?) but I don't want to search for them because they're so cringe.

The "interview" with Keighley was so one-sided, I almost felt bad for Joe. Almost. And Joe's hilariously weak 24-minute step-by-step analysis/rebuttal didn't help in the slightest.
He's a good kid, from what little I heard of him, but this tired angry shtick needs to go.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Calling yourself 'Angry Joe' is worthy of ridicule in and of itself.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mad Lupine posted:

Calling yourself 'Angry Joe' is worthy of ridicule in and of itself.
I think it's just an unfortunate relic of the times he started making videos.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The only time I really saw him really angry was during his Batman stream the other day when the game kept crashing. His voice broke and everything. Every other time it just seemed forced like he was trying to live up to the angry in Angry Joe.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Archer666 posted:

I think people dislike Joe for being a dweeb sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3afubBLsS1I

Yeah. At worst he seems guilty of being a little awkward or dumb sometimes but far as I know he's really good to his fans and really seems to love what he does.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jimbot posted:

The only time I really saw him really angry was during his Batman stream the other day when the game kept crashing. His voice broke and everything. Every other time it just seemed forced like he was trying to live up to the angry in Angry Joe.

But isn't the new batman game just a unplayable mess to the point that jim made a joke about how this is a awful week if you are a racist homophobe who brought the new batman game on PC?

Joe makes great points but he still have some of that old internet critic tropes back then with the angry video game nerd and TGWTG which is not doing him favors.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Genetic Toaster posted:

That was also like 5 years ago.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Spark That Bled posted:

Rantasmo's done a video on Boat Trip. It's a comedy about two loser straight guys who go on a gay cruise by mistake.

Man, videos like this are why I never got into Rantasmo's videos. Like, sure, this movie exists. So? I feel like he could have spun out the idea of "gay panic comedies" into a longer video examining their place in our cinema and in our culture at large, giving some other examples of media where it has popped up or, like this movie, been the central conceit of it. Or just gone a little more in depth into the culture that spawned this terrible movie. Or just riffed on the drat thing. But he never does anything like that. He never really makes any broader points, or if he does, never expands on them. It makes his videos seem really shallow to me and it's frustrating because I'd love to see more queer cinema critics like Infamous Sphere but Raz just doesn't deliver for me. :(

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 28, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tae posted:

If you ever do anything the internet will never, ever ever ever let it die. People still rake Jim over the coals for kinda being lovely a long time ago despite having changed 100% since then..

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Tae posted:

But some moments will last forever.

You could probably make the argument that the Joe/Keighley interview ruined Channel Awesome's chances at being taken seriously. They got invited to a press event, and their representive tried to pick a fight with the producer. And spent their entire coverage making GBS threads on the show. And everyone who invited them. It's not even that he was wrong about the VGAs. He just went into them in character, when that was the last thing CA should have been sending to their first mainstream(ish) event.

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 28, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

dijon du jour posted:

Man, videos like this are why I never got into Rantasmo's videos. Like, sure, this movie exists. So? I feel like he could have spun out the idea of "gay panic comedies" into a longer video examining their place in our cinema and in our culture at large, giving some other examples of media where it has popped up or, like this movie, been the central conceit of it. Or just gone a little more in depth into the culture that spawned this terrible movie. Or just riffed on the drat thing. But he never does anything like that. He never really makes any broader points, or if he does, never expands on them. It makes his videos seem really shallow to me and it's frustrating because I'd love to see more queer cinema critics like Infamous Sphere but Raz just doesn't deliver for me. :(

That video wasn't as devoid of content as some of his others - I think Game of Thrones has to be the ultimate "ticking a box" video, in terms of that you really felt that he did it because he was asked, rather than because he had anything to say.
In some senses, I think it's a good thing that Rantasmo doesn't do the same kinds of videos that I do, because there isn't nearly the sense of direct competition. For what it's worth, people, especially those new to the world of internet review video culture, really like his work because it's short and snappy, whereas not everyone's prepared to watch a long-form video on a film that they haven't heard of, like I frequently do. We're different kinds of critics, and Rantasmo is definitely more popular than I am for a variety of reasons.

(Just as an aside, which hopefully isn't too mean - Rantasmo is pretty much the only critic who has never bothered to give me the time of day. Even when we were amateurs on the TGWTG forums together, he never responded to any comments that I made - nor comments that anyone else made. He'd post in his thread and then ignore any comments. Pretty much every single other critic who I've tweeted at, for instance, has responded from time to time, but not Rantasmo - even though I thought it might be nice to talk, seeing as we cover the same kinds of content. I wonder if that's just my experience, or whether he doesn't respond to anyone's comments?)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

You could probably make the argument that the Joe/Keighley interview ruined Channel Awesome's chances at being taken seriously. They got invited to a press event, and their representive tried to pick a fight with the producer. And spent their entire coverage making GBS threads on the show. And everyone who invited them. It's not even that he was wrong about the VGAs. He just went into the them in character, when that was the last thing CA should have been sending to their first mainstream(ish) event.

That's not even the first time Joe's done something like that either. There was a post in the previous thread quoting a tell-all blog post on what a debacle Michaud and Rob turned the Channel Awesome anti-SOPA/PIPA visit to Congress back in 2011 into behind the scenes, and one of the highlights was how Joe showed up to meetings with congressmen and senators like SOPA author Lamar "I wrote an anti-piracy bill yet steal peoples' copyrighted photos to use on my website without permission" Smith in costume and character as Corporate Commander. :doh:

I like Joe an awful lot, I really do, he's an incredibly passionate and genuine guy, but that genuineness also means he's not really ever been up on that whole "professionalism" thing.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

That's not even the first time Joe's done something like that either. There was a post in the previous thread quoting a tell-all blog post on what a debacle Michaud and Rob turned the Channel Awesome anti-SOPA/PIPA visit to Congress back in 2011 into behind the scenes, and one of the highlights was how Joe showed up to meetings with congressmen and senators like SOPA author Lamar "I wrote an anti-piracy bill yet steal peoples' copyrighted photos to use on my website without permission" Smith in costume and character as Corporate Commander. :doh:

I like Joe an awful lot, I really do, he's an incredibly passionate and genuine guy, but that genuineness also means he's not really ever been up on that whole "professionalism" thing.

Yeah I remember that story.

Turns up at congress to protest SOPA in that stupid Corporate Commander outfit and wonders why noone takes him seriously. Same deal with Spoony, shouting all that nonsense at E3 years ago made it hard for anyone that was affiliated with him to be taken seriously

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Asuron posted:

Same deal with Spoony, shouting all that nonsense at E3 years ago made it hard for anyone that was affiliated with him to be taken seriously

I'd debate that Spoony's E3 outburst helped contribute to the announcement of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and shoving what would become The Bureau quietly out the back door months later.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spark That Bled posted:

I'd debate that Spoony's E3 outburst helped contribute to the announcement of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and shoving what would become The Bureau quietly out the back door months later.

You overestimate Spoony's influence to a degree inexpressible by human speech.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spark That Bled posted:

It didn't. Please stop fooling yourself.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The original X-COM game looked good, but Spoony is nothing if not terrified of change.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The original X-COM game looked good, but Spoony is nothing if not terrified of change.

Nah, it actually did look bad. Still not an excuse to be a complete manchild and shout about it just outside their booth.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The original X-COM game looked good

a bad opinion

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Spark That Bled posted:

Development on Enemy Unknown started in 2008. The Bureau was quietly shoved out because that game had a torturous development cycle and 2K wanted to recoup whatever they could after seven years of development going nowhere. The first version of The Bureau was developed by Irrational, pre-Bioshock!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The LP of The Bureau that a Goon did has a developer doing co-commentary, and he's pretty frank about production issues. He doesn't mention Spoony at all. It's a good LP if you're interested in game design - I watched it even though I'd finished the game myself.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

OldMemes posted:

The LP of The Bureau that a Goon did has a developer doing co-commentary, and he's pretty frank about production issues. He doesn't mention Spoony at all. It's a good LP if you're interested in game design - I watched it even though I'd finished the game myself.
You have a link to that? I've always wanted more about the actual production of non-indie games since the industry seems so closed off to anything except super-polished behind the scenes stuff that basically tells you nothing.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Robert Denby posted:

You have a link to that? I've always wanted more about the actual production of non-indie games since the industry seems so closed off to anything except super-polished behind the scenes stuff that basically tells you nothing.

Here it is.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

a bad opinion

Southland Tales is worth watching, and Captain America: Winter Soldier was pretty lame.

Mad Max: Fury Road was just as awesome as people said, though.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Southland Tales is worth watching, and Captain America: Winter Soldier was pretty lame.

pimps never die...

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Even wrong people can be right sometimes, it seems.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I think you kind of have to be a PUA/MRA to really strongly detest Fury Road.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I know someone who didn't like it being "too feminist" and not having enough Mad Max in it, but they still really enjoyed the movie. So, yeah, who knows.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Southland Tales is worth watching

That goes without saying. Donnie Darko is trash though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'll be honest, I think Spoony's E3 outburst was awesome. It was cool and took guts, but it's a shame if it led to them being taken less seriously. It was justified, though.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 28, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

WickedHate posted:

I'll be honest, I think Spoony's E3 outburst was awesome. It was cool and took guts, but it's a shame if it led to them being taken less seriously. It was justified, though.

I too, throw tantrums when my toys aren't like the old toys anymore. Especially in public places!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpMS1qLkHFM

Jontron has a new Starcade out. I'll be honest, I just want him to get to the Tie Fighter episode soon.

• Locked thread