Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I hear it's the best Terminator movie since Terminator 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't get it, it's just a picture of a robot head from the side with some mood lighting. Why do you all like it so much?

Probably because every other piece of marketing to come out for that film has been wet garbage, so average is a big step up.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

So this will be given away at select screenings of Terminator Genesys. Is this the first bit of marketing for that film that hasn't completely sucked butt?

Triple H coming out on Wrestlemania as a king Terminator accompanied by T-800s was good

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That's a rad poster and I want one. Have they given any info as to where it'll be available? IMAX? Regular theaters? A combination of both?

EDIT: Wait, internet says it's an IMAX poster. Noice. I wish 75% percent of the poster wasn't shadows, though.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 27, 2015

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't get it, it's just a picture of a robot head from the side with some mood lighting. Why do you all like it so much?

It's not even mood lighting, it a regular photo made greyscale and with the contrast pumped waaaay up. It looks real bad, particularly in the detail areas, which is a shame because it could look great if done well..

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So is it hot garbage or wet garbage?

EDIT: Never mind, I missed the butt sucking.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 27, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The xray poster was pretty cool and unique

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So is it hot garbage or wet garbage?
Those aren't mutually exclusive options.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So is it hot garbage or wet garbage?.

Wet Hot American Summer Blockbuster

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

...are they really allowed to put bongs on movie posters now?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Technically they can put whatever they want on posters. If you want to put a picture of Osama Bin Laden smoking crack while Timothy McVeigh gives him a rimjob you could. It probably wouldn't get put up anywhere though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Noxville posted:

It's not even mood lighting, it a regular photo made greyscale and with the contrast pumped waaaay up. It looks real bad, particularly in the detail areas, which is a shame because it could look great if done well..

Yeah it's like a lovely Threshold effect in Photoshop. Not digging it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BonoMan posted:

Yeah it's like a lovely Threshold effect in Photoshop.

Except it's not.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FreudianSlippers posted:

Technically they can put whatever they want on posters. If you want to put a picture of Osama Bin Laden smoking crack while Timothy McVeigh gives him a rimjob you could. It probably wouldn't get put up anywhere though.

I thought the MPAA could tell you to gently caress off and possibly fine you if your poster was too risque.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

85: The J.A. Steel Collection
The posters aren't all that interesting, but the trailers, oh my, the trailers...

the Third Society

Use your tough girl voice, tougher, tougher!

Salvation

I'm starting to think J.A. Steel has a friend at the airport

Denizen

Eek! A hand!

Blood Fare

Please ignore the fact that the Cop?/Sheriff?/Marshall? is wearing a badge with U.A.S. on it

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Except it's not.

If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BonoMan posted:

If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

That's true.

It doesn't look like the Threshold filter, so it's not a threshold filter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

People like it because it's not potato head Matt Smith or poo poo, People Hated The First Trailer, JOHN CONNOR IS A TERMINATOR PLEASE WATCH THE MOVIE.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

fatherboxx posted:

Triple H coming out on Wrestlemania as a king Terminator accompanied by T-800s was good

For anyone who needs a visual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rimh1o2X1eo

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's true.

Grainy high contrast black and white is exactly what the threshold filter does. I mean I seriously doubt that's literally the threshold filter but its really close... Which brings about my point that it's lovely lazy design.

You aren't actually arguing that it's even remotely a good poster are you?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

It suggests a "back to basics" approach that the new movie clearly isn't. Reminds me of how they marketed Predators, which also wasn't exactly "back to basics" as much as "trying on a new set of basics."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BonoMan posted:

You aren't actually arguing that it's even remotely a good poster are you?

Yeah, it's fine.

We could've got some floating heads and teal/orange. Which may exist, I don't know.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...are they really allowed to put bongs on movie posters now?

Excuse me that's a tobacco water pipe

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The only way this doesn't look like a threshold filter is if you think they've applied it to the image at that size.
Applied to a much larger, grainy image and resized that looks exactly like it a threshold filter.

Example:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

mind the walrus posted:

It suggests a "back to basics" approach that the new movie clearly isn't. Reminds me of how they marketed Predators, which also wasn't exactly "back to basics" as much as "trying on a new set of basics."

He has T-Rex arms

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

ShufflerZero posted:

85: The J.A. Steel Collection
The posters aren't all that interesting, but the trailers, oh my, the trailers...

For some reason, I was most taken aback by the fact that the second trailer has an Australian voice over for some reason? I don't tend to hear that for anything other than locally made content, and it doesn't really scream either Oklahoma *or* Medieval knights.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

oldpainless posted:

He has T-Rex arms

You're right! Hah. I bet they even scaled it down so the arm-blade looked bigger.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oldpainless posted:

He has T-Rex arms

That's why they should've hired Ian Whyte. He's as close as we're going to get to Kevin Peter Hall.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I only have vague memories of Predators but I think it wasn't that terrible... right?

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

For anyone who needs a visual:

Holy poo poo, I thought he was joking...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I only have vague memories of Predators but I think it wasn't that terrible... right?

It was ok. Way better than anyone expected but nowhere near good enough to kickstart it as a franchise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mind the walrus posted:

It was ok. Way better than anyone expected but nowhere near good enough to kickstart it as a franchise.

Sadly this.

I'd still be down for Adrian Brody and Alice Braga fighting Predators though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I always felt like the Laurence Fishburne role in Predators was meant to be either Arnold or Glover originally, but they couldn't get either of them and rewrote it. I have no idea if that's true, but that's how it came off to me.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I thought Fishburne did a good job as "person driven insane due to being marooned on an alien world for over a decade".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everyone in Predators did a good job, even Topher Grace and especially Adam Brody playing against type as a tough guy. Fishburne's character definitely felt like it was meant to be Danny Glover though.

The problem was that there wasn't enough visual/kinetic spark to really get the blood pumping and the gimmick of "bigger, meaner Predator tribe" came across as hackneyed. So the movie came across as workmanlike when it needed to have a real sense of electricity, but that's so easy to say in hindsight given how they basically made "TF2 fights the Predators" work as a conceit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

Everyone in Predators did a good job, even Topher Grace and especially Adam Brody playing against type as a tough guy. Fishburne's character definitely felt like it was meant to be Danny Glover though.

The problem was that there wasn't enough visual/kinetic spark to really get the blood pumping and the gimmick of "bigger, meaner Predator tribe" came across as hackneyed. So the movie came across as workmanlike when it needed to have a real sense of electricity, but that's so easy to say in hindsight given how they basically made "TF2 fights the Predators" work as a conceit.

Topher Grace was a nice surprise, but while I appreciate the effort, I think Adrien Brody did a terrible job playing against type in Predators. Adam Brody probably could have done better. (unless I missed a joke you got your Brody's wrong, one has an Oscar and the other is the dorky kid from The O.C. The one in Predators sucked and the other couldn't have done any worse)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I thought Brody was fine in it but it's a shame the movie very quickly devolved into a slasher film. A very decent slasher film with Predators, admittedly, but they could've gone a bit further and focused more on the actual Predators and their culture and stuff like that instead of "here's a bunch of people, here's some predators, now go at it."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

The problem was that there wasn't enough visual/kinetic spark to really get the blood pumping

Yeah, I rewatched it a couple of months ago and it just felt oddly sluggish, like it was wading through mud.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stare-Out posted:

I thought Brody was fine in it but it's a shame the movie very quickly devolved into a slasher film. A very decent slasher film with Predators, admittedly, but they could've gone a bit further and focused more on the actual Predators and their culture and stuff like that instead of "here's a bunch of people, here's some predators, now go at it."

The script made the Super Predators a lot more interesting in that the reason why they looked all hosed up is because every time something kills one of them, they grab the one that killed them, cut them up, and genetically modify themselves using pretty much Predator Steroids made from the recently dead prey.

Also, their blood was supposed to be black until a bunch of fans (sadly, me too) yelled at Robert Rodriguez in a chat to keep it green.

I don't regret that decision. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Predator blood is neon green, and should always be neon green.

Klingon blood is a pinkish-purple, and should always be pinkish-purple.