Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How is the online leaderboards stuff still not operational? How is WB so loving bad at this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Sloop posted:

The game saves backups of the last few saves, check http://support.wbgames.com/link/portal/24022/24028/Article/1062/I-lost-my-Batman-Arkham-Knight-save-How-do-I-recover-it for instructions on restoring them. I had to a few days ago after my 40% save suddenly reverted to 6%.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! The oldest backup save I could find happened to be the one right when I walked out of the movie studio, and that's when I went off track. Worked out perfectly!

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

that excavator sequence was one of the worst loving things I've ever sat through in any game in years but at least everything else for the last half was great

The destruction of the Batmobile was the most satisfying moment of the game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

MinibarMatchman posted:

that excavator sequence was one of the worst loving things I've ever sat through in any game in years but at least everything else for the last half was great
It wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't change the camera to a chase camera you've never used before and hosed up your sense of steering

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

Also, you should know that you and ImpAtom white knighting everything and anything that someone might find issue with the game has gotten old. A LOT of people have voiced displeasure with the Batmobile. Just because you and 5 other goons liked it doesn't mean it's perfect and anyone who doesn't like it is just poo poo.

I think the Batmobile is amazing to drive in and handles really well, so it's a lot more than just "5 other goons." At the worst you could describe it as "divisive."

Also ImpAtom's been pretty critical of the game, are you sure you know what you're talking about?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Also, you should know that you and ImpAtom white knighting everything and anything that someone might find issue with the game has gotten old. A LOT of people have voiced displeasure with the Batmobile.

... what?

I literally had a conversation yesterday in this thread which boiled down to me talking about how Arkham Knight has a lot of flaws and how the Batmobile was one of those flaws. :psyduck:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
So I turned off AA, and apparently I am capable of ignoring the stuttering if the game looks this sweet. I haven't tried any .ini fixes yet as well.

The tank stuff does seems overdone at around 20% into the game (just did a few side missions and got to the Nightwing team fight in the main story), but I find the rest of the batmobile stuff fun, even the forced puzzle solving (because these games have always had forced puzzles if you do the Riddler stuff; I don't know how they could be an unwelcome surprise at this point) and races. The only bad part of the races is Riddler's dumb commentary. I really hope you get to lock him up at the end of the game or something. And beyond that, using it to get around, remotely disrupt those scripted ambushes, and the pursuit missions are really cool. I like how the 'mobile handles too. Like maybe the atmosphere was better in Asylum, but this one controls better and is more fun than any previous Batman game. Joker has not worn thin yet either. He's hilarious.

edit: i also found the batmobile wheel torture segment very amusing

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 28, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Speedball posted:

Yeah, there hasn't been a really good Superman game in years. The closest they came was the Superman Returns game and that had problems too. Games are about rules and limits and Supes has very few limits, so you run into the problem of how to handle a game with a guy who can do everything better than anyone else.

For example, instead of Superman having a life meter, he was just indestructible and taking damage just made his energy go down (stunning him if it bottomed); no, it was the CITY that had a life meter. Fail to stop enough loss of life or property damage and Superman sinks to his knees in defeat. Interesting idea but I don't know if it worked out too well.

Wait, no, there was one decent Superman game: Superman in Lego Batman 2! (was he in 3 prominently as well?)

Superman Returns had some good ideas, and the flying in it felt great, but it was so obviously a rush job where they weren't able to properly realize any of those ideas that it's probably better off forgotten.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Part of me wonders if the Batmobile issue boils down to experience with driving games and what type

For instance, I haven't played a racing game that didn't have a "Mario Kart" in the title since R.C. Pro AM but play the hell out of open world games with driving in them, and I had a rough time adjusting to navigating the city with it at first, but ultimately got the hang of of it.

But there are a lot of driving games that are more about y'know... actually driving all the time, so I don't know if my tolerance to "questionable" driving controls has been built up by suffering through Rockstar's VERY gradual ascent to competence in that field.

It's better than the Warthog, that much I can say with confidence. Although you weren't really expected to engage in high speed chases with the Warthog so maybe that's a bad comparison...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So I finally beat the game and i have to admit it was drat good game and great send off of the rocksteady trilogy. It had issues mostly being in the fact that the arkham knight plot line was kinda crappy and the driving was either fun as hell or annoying as hell. The story had some really great moments and I can never listen to i've got you under my skin the same way again. I am curious what WB is going to do with the franchies or if that sucide squad game will get made.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So I finally beat the game and i have to admit it was drat good game and great send off of the rocksteady trilogy. It had issues mostly being in the fact that the arkham knight plot line was kinda crappy and the driving was either fun as hell or annoying as hell. The story had some really great moments and I can never listen to i've got you under my skin the same way again. I am curious what WB is going to do with the franchies or if that sucide squad game will get made.

I have to wonder if that lovely loving movie they're making torpedoed any chance of the Suicide Squad game getting made.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'm sure they'll attempt at least one more Batman, probably another prequel. I imagine the ending of Knight is just going to stand on its own since it's kind of hard to follow up on.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

I have to wonder if that lovely loving movie they're making torpedoed any chance of the Suicide Squad game getting made.

The movie looks cool. Noob.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sure they'll attempt at least one more Batman, probably another prequel. I imagine the ending of Knight is just going to stand on its own since it's kind of hard to follow up on.

The 100% ending of the game definitely opens the door for another game.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

The movie looks cool. Noob.

Ha ha, whatever you say.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

The 100% ending of the game definitely opens the door for another game.

The 100% ending is a cliffhanger but it really feels to me like a "and the fight continues" cliffhanger. They could prove me wrong and do some weird future Batman with fear powers which would be kickass but I feel like it's hard to imagine them ditching Bruce Wayne and Knight kind of puts Wayne-As-Batman to bed. I'd say "maybe they'll do Beyond" but I think if they wanted to do Beyond they'd have used the redesigned suit they had as DLC instead of the weird fear monster.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Harlock posted:

Also the game's biggest failure is not being able to patrol the city as any of the 5-6 characters they let you play as in the game. I'm sure that'll be fixed through lovely DLC.
I've been thinking about this, the problem I see is that Batman and Robin are the only characters with capes, so the only ones that could conceivably glide. They got around that in City with Catwoman by having those jump-points up the side of the buildings and a magically lengthening whip, but it would take a lot of work to add those points to every building in Knight, and a lot of things are just too far apart to jump between. The characters would be stuck literally running around the city, and it would seem pretty tedious. Or they could give everyone their own cars I guess, I think Nightwing and Catwoman have motorcycles in the comics sometimes, but there are no motorcycles in this game and they'd probably have to tweak the driving mechanics for it.

I'd still love to see it, it would give the game a lot more variety, but I doubt it will happen officially. Someone posted a link a few pages back to a PC mod that enables free roam for all characters, I'm guessing that's the best we'll see and hopefully they won't patch that out.

Harlock posted:

It wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't change the camera to a chase camera you've never used before and hosed up your sense of steering
I hate this every time I destroy a Hummer when chasing an APC. I'm trying to get a missile lock on the APC, stop spinning the camera around!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The 100% ending is a cliffhanger but it really feels to me like a "and the fight continues" cliffhanger. They could prove me wrong and do some weird future Batman with fear powers which would be kickass but I feel like it's hard to imagine them ditching Bruce Wayne and Knight kind of puts Wayne-As-Batman to bed. I'd say "maybe they'll do Beyond" but I think if they wanted to do Beyond they'd have used the redesigned suit they had as DLC instead of the weird fear monster.

I'm not sure if we should be taking the fear monster as being a literal thing in the ending. The Scarecrows whole plan was that if he exposed Batman as Bruce Wayne, then people wouldn't fear him anymore. He'd stop being a symbol, and instead be just a man. So Bruce fakes his own death, and Batman disappears for quite some time. Everyone thinks Bruce is dead, so when a new Batman shows up, that "mystique" as some of the goons in the game put it is carried on with him. It might just be Dick or Tim, or even Bruce himself, in the suit, but he's scary as gently caress to the superstitious cowardly lot that is criminals. Maybe even more so now, because Batman "died" and holy gently caress here he still is, like some kind of ghost. In short I think it's meant to be more of a point of view effect than him being a literal monster/using fear gas thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm not sure if we should be taking the fear monster as being a literal thing in the ending. The Scarecrows whole plan was that if he exposed Batman as Bruce Wayne, then people wouldn't fear him anymore. He'd stop being a symbol, and instead be just a man. So Bruce fakes his own death, and Batman disappears for quite some time. Everyone thinks Bruce is dead, so when a new Batman shows up, that "mystique" as some of the goons in the game put it is carried on with him. It might just be Dick or Tim, or even Bruce himself, in the suit, but he's scary as gently caress to the superstitious cowardly lot that is criminals. Maybe even more so now, because Batman "died" and holy gently caress here he still is, like some kind of ghost. In short I think it's meant to be more of a point of view effect than him being a literal monster/using fear gas thing.

That doesn't sound right to be since the Goon's response to the Batman was "haha, you know Wayne is dead, right?" They're not afraid of him until after the hallucination effect starts which they seem to respond to. It does seem to be an actual 'thing.'

I mean it'd be interesting if they did to it because it would be a completely fresh status quo so they wouldn't have the comics/movies/TV show to fall back on, but that is sort of why I suspect they won't.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
We need an Oracle game. Press X to activate stairlift.

Also the Riddler's post game dialogue is great. He's only the person in the entire city that doesn't believe Bruce is Batman, thinking it's an elaborate double bluff. :allears:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I don't like how lam the side missions focused around major villains are. I stop 3 robberies and take down two face? there's no lair to infiltrate at the end? there's no epic unique boss fight?

wtf.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Real hurthling! posted:

I don't like how lam the side missions focused around major villains are. I stop 3 robberies and take down two face? there's no lair to infiltrate at the end? there's no epic unique boss fight?

wtf.

Wait until you get to Deathstroke. Let Down City.

I did a silent takedown on Two-Face in that last bank. You'd think you wouldn't be able to do a silent takedown on a main Batman villain.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

wtf.

They are Batman villains so I'm not expecting a big grand fortress thing. Batman does his thing and catches Harvey, throws him in jail. Boom boom boom I'll see you next week after you break outta jail.

Tbh I wasn't expecting to silent take down Harv.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I did a silent takedown on Two-Face in that last bank. You'd think you wouldn't be able to do a silent takedown on a main Batman villain.
I made him fall down an escalator. Still my favorite takedown in this game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Skeezy posted:

They are Batman villains so I'm not expecting a big grand fortress thing. Batman does his thing and catches Harvey, throws him in jail. Boom boom boom I'll see you next week after you break outta jail.

Tbh I wasn't expecting to silent take down Harv.

the big bads had a big unique boss fight on their own thematically appropriate turf in AC and it was very good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

the big bads had a big unique boss fight on their own thematically appropriate turf in AC and it was very good.

Well, the Mr. Freeze one was. The rest not so much.

That said, I'm pretty sure Knight has the worst boss fights in the franchise. They kind of veer between unmemorable or crappy.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 28, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

When he walked into the bank in a line with 4 other goons I glided down behind them and did the fear takedown conga.

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!
I hope they add some movie costumes this time around. I'd really like that Batman V. Superman costume.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

BIG HEADLINE posted:

After the case of Harvey and the infinitely spawning goons from the end of Catwoman's story in AC, I found it to be pretty cathartic, really

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

futureproof posted:

I'd really like that Batman V. Superman costume.

This is just the worst.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Steve2911 posted:

This is just the worst.

there was a big gross dark knight returns costume in city and origins wasn't there? and it looked bad there too

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

ImpAtom posted:

Well, the Mr. Freeze one was. The rest not so much.

That said, I'm pretty sure Knight has the worst boss fights in the franchise. They kind of veer between unmemorable or crappy.

Asylum literally only had 2 boss fights. Charging big guy. And poison ivy. Poison ivy being just never stop quickfireing which was repeated with a little more variety with phase 1 clay face in AC. And I feel like spam quickfire was somewhere else too. But I can't remember.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Good Boss Fights in Asylum:

- literally none of them

Good Boss Fights in City:

- MR. FREEZE
- Solomon Grundy
- Ra's al-Ghul, before it gets tedious
- First Clayface fight

Good Boss Fights in Origins:

- Slade
- Firefly
- Maybe the first Bane fight

Good Boss Fights in Knight:

- Albert King
- Does "singing Joker" count as a boss?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I went back and started playing Arkham Asylum again and was reminded why I fell in love in the series originally. While swooping down from buildings is undeniably Batman, I really liked the emphasis Arkham placed on sneaking around and pouncing on baddies. And while Predator "room" sequences are bit repetitive after awhile, I think I still prefer them to "open world" variety that Knight has.

Also, I just remembered pretty much the only part I was disappointed in about Knight: you have the ability to tilt the airship, right? So I get to the section where you're trying to rescue Stagg from a bunch of goons. I'm initially disappointed that it looks like the game wants you to just jump down and battle with them, because the knock-down dragged out brawls were never my favorite parts. But then I notice the tilt controls on the side. Oh, so you're supposed to sneak down there, activate tilt, and throw all these guys against the side to knock them out, right? Nope. Can't get down there without being seen.

I mean, come on, how is using the environment to your advantage not the most Batman thing ever?

That said, though, that's pretty much my only complaint about the game. I didn't even mind things like being able to sneak up on Two-Face to knock him out, it always bugged me that you couldn't do that in the previous games. I mean, he's just a dude with a split personality, he doesn't have Spidey-sense.

Basically, I understand that there are limitations on what Batman can do, because if you were really Batman there would probably always be some kind of super easy way to get past all the boss fights, and that (theoretically) would make the game less "fun". But I feel like doing something like putting in a vent that was hard to get to/see that lead to the tilt controls in the previous example would make the game better. The Director's Cut of DX:HR was really good about that, if you looked around and had your points invested in the right skills you could almost always find a way to breeze through what were obviously supposed to be very difficult sections. Being able to subvert a game's intent is always really enjoyable to me.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I actually really liked the excavator fight, I thought it was cool how it was more or less Bomberman. I wish the excavator had actually appeared on the minimap once you got close, since there were a few times where I got close but then turned down the wrong way, but overall I actually really enjoyed it.

I liked that the boss fights as a whole weren't your typical boss fights, but then again as I mentioned above I never really enjoyed the huge fights that the games usually offer up.

Also gently caress the Deathstroke fight from Origins, it was a bunch of QTE nonsense and I actually laughed out loud when Batman just leapt on him and knocked him out in Knight.

Funky Valentine posted:

- Does "singing Joker" count as a boss?

Oh my yes, and it was probably my favorite point in the game AFTER I figured out that you didn't have to be in front of the bombs to disarm them, for some reason the first few times I tried to disarm them while behind them I guess I wasn't close enough or something because the prompt wasn't showing up.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 28, 2015

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Batmobile and flying still loving up my PC version. This patch did very little to fix my problems and I didn't see any of the new settings in the graphics options.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Batmobile and flying still loving up my PC version. This patch did very little to fix my problems and I didn't see any of the new settings in the graphics options.

New settings are just active. Have you tried turning the interactive smoke off? Even on my magic machine that introduces a noticeable fps drop when I'm gliding.

50% of riddler trophies done. It's annoying that a lot of them are locked behind specific gadget upgrades. I feel it just discourages you from doing them as you come across them, resulting in it then feeling tedious when you plough through them all at the end.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Is this fight still the pinnacle of the series?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, they haven't really topped the Freeze fight. It blends the game mechanics together so well whereas other bosses since are just plonking you in an arena and letting you get on with it.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I thought that the Arkham Knight non-batmobile fight was an interesting idea, and I could see they were trying to top Mr. Freeze from City, but really Mr. Freeze was still better. The Arkham Knight fight was more tedious than anything.

For me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really liked (most of) the City bossfights, disappointing to hear that they've dropped the ball a bit with them in this one :(

• Locked thread