Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

This would be true if the distinction between content and dicta were explicit. As it is, I look forward to the explication of dignity as a new arm of fundamental rights jurisprudence. If Kennedy had said made your argument, and not spent a lot of time making it very explicit that he was stating a new dimension of a right rather than expressing something that had previously been a right not properly expressed in the lower courts, then this would have been a better decision.

He wasn't talking about a free-floating right to dignity, though - he was using dignity (which already had some recognition) as a bridge to talking about why marriage is a fundamental right and from there to why gay marriage also qualifies. It's quite clear throughout the opinion that the four steps above are exactly the key.

To the extent anyone is arguing for dignity as a fundamental right in and of itself, they're going to need to explain why that particular element of dignity is a "personal choice[] central to individual dignity and autonomy", which was already a SDP justification stemming back quite some time (at least to Griswold, if not further.) Kennedy is explicitly not stating that "dignity" is a free-floating right; instead, he's using existing case law on dignity/autonomy-derived rights (primarily from privacy cases) to buttress his statement that the right to marry is fundamental no matter what the genders of the people who are getting married.

The idea that it's bad legal reasoning is itself bad legal reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Kennedy's opinion on SSM is really unambiguously legislation from the bench- he made no real effort to present the outcome in terms of existing law. This is genuinely a bad thing, and makes it harder to construct a coherent legal framework around the holding, and damages the authority of the court. The dignity material that drove Thomas nuts was genuinely an especially bad offender in this regard.

To be clear, the outcome is great- wrapping it in inspirational language that is difficult for lower courts or attorneys to use in working with the legal framework is not.

I just had time to read the decision and I totally agree with this. The majority opinion was not optimal at all and pretty weak. It would have been much better to have a proper 14th amendment scrutiny analysis.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

euphronius posted:

I just had time to read the decision and I totally agree with this. The majority opinion was not optimal at all and pretty weak. It would have been much better to have a proper 14th amendment scrutiny analysis.

I'm going to link this again. I still think it's the best SSM ruling so far, and provides a pretty good roadmap for what a great decision would have looked like (Walker from San Fransisco re: prop 8). Text starts around 109, but the findings were pretty great too.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have been seeing tons of "now we can get equal rights for guns in all states" on my Facebook feed. I was going to ask the thread if the SSM ruling could be used to get open carry recognized by all states.

While I am still wondering about that (and answer would be greatly appreciated), I have finished reading this thread. I have a new question. Could Kennedy and the rest of the concurring judges have specifically punted on the 14th amendment analysis due to the fact that issues like gun control pop up. Use non distinct and vague language that literally only applies to marriage so that any gun cases (or any tangentially related cases) would have to be brought up separately?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have been seeing tons of "now we can get equal rights for guns in all states" on my Facebook feed. I was going to ask the thread if the SSM ruling could be used to get open carry recognized by all states.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: Jesus fuckin' Christ, hell no. Open carry is not a fundamental right being burdened by unequal state treatments.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

While I am still wondering about that (and answer would be greatly appreciated), I have finished reading this thread. I have a new question. Could Kennedy and the rest of the concurring judges have specifically punted on the 14th amendment analysis due to the fact that issues like gun control pop up. Use non distinct and vague language that literally only applies to marriage so that any gun cases (or any tangentially related cases) would have to be brought up separately?

It's my thinking that they punted on the 14th amendment to avoid an awkward showdown with the first amendment right to religious expression. Not some contrived "quid pro quo, libtards :smug:" narrative.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Nostalgia that's one hell of an av.

mdemone posted:

Short answer: no.

Long answer: Jesus fuckin' Christ, hell no. Open carry is not a fundamental right being burdened by unequal state treatments.

There are IIRC 7 states you can't open carry in at all which is what they're referring to as an analogue to not being able to get gay married at all.

But the version of this meme I've seen on my FB is that the full faith and credit clause requires states to honor each other's concealed carry licenses which is a little different of a tack.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

Nostalgia that's one hell of an av.

There are IIRC 7 states you can't open carry in at all which is what they're referring to as an analogue to not being able to get gay married at all.

But the version of this meme I've seen on my FB is that the full faith and credit clause requires states to honor each other's concealed carry licenses which is a little different of a tack.

US Constitution, Article IV, section 1 posted:

Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

Emphasis mine.

Justice Stone, majority opinion, PACIFIC EMPLOYERS INS. CO. v. INDUSTRIAL ACCIDENT COMMISSION posted:

[T]here are some limitations upon the extent to which a state may be required by the full faith and credit clause to enforce even the judgment of another state in contravention of its own statutes or policy. See [bunch of citations]. And in the case of statutes...the full faith and credit clause does not require one state to substitute for its own statute, applicable to persons and events within it, the conflicting statute of another state, even though that statute is of controlling force in the courts of the state of its enactment with respect to the same persons and events.

And that's just me pulling poo poo from Wikipedia. I'm sure an actual law-talkin' person could make explain it more thoroughly and persuasively.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's my thinking that they punted on the 14th amendment to avoid an awkward showdown with the first amendment right to religious expression.
Seems like it should be a case of "your religious expression does not supercede the rights of others", with a smattering of "The US doesn't care what your magic book says"? Siding with religious expression seems like it opens a can of worms there.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
For everyone: prolific writer and judge whenever he can fit it in, Judge Posner, wrote a great Slate article "The chief justice’s dissent is heartless." I'll give you three guesses to figure what it's about!

For those inclined to read about legal jurisprudence: Jack Balkin wrote a piece suggesting how Obergefell will impact the SDP analysis: "Bye, Bye, Glucksberg."

Also, I gotta agree with Kalman. If you accept that SDP is a legitimate constitutional doctrine, Obergefell isn't really radical stuff within that paradigm as set out by the Court.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Is there any chance of the Arizona redistricting commission not being ruled unconstitutional?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I would normally say that there is not a good chance but this article got me thinking about whether there is more blow back against "more conservative" cases. Roberts could side with them easily but they push so hard that he does not want that as his legacy.
http://www.vox.com/2015/6/27/8856465/supreme-court-liberal

quote:

A few days before the Obamacare and same-sex marriage cases dropped, the New York Times published a fascinating data analysis showing that the Supreme Court was on track to have one of the most liberal terms in years.

But is the Court getting more liberal or are the cases getting more conservative?

The Times' analysis relies on the Supreme Court Database, which codes whether decisions are liberal or conservative (an explanation of their approach to doing this is here.) But while this kind of analysis can tell you whether the Court is finding more often for the pro-affirmative action side, or for the pro-choice side, or for unions, it can't tell you why — and that makes it hard to say whether the Court really has become more liberal or more conservative.

So imagine a finding that the court is ruling for affirmative action more often. One reason might be that the Court has become more liberal on affirmative action cases. Another reason might be that the Court has become more conservative, and so is hearing challenges to affirmative action laws that it wouldn't even have considered in past terms, even though it is ultimately siding with the status quo.

In that case, it might look like the Court is getting more liberal, as it is ruling for the pro-affirmative action side, but it would actually be getting more conservative.

In a post at the Upshot, Brendan Nyhan outlines some research that suggests more conservative Supreme Courts take more conservative cases, and so can end up leading to more liberal-looking rulings:

In a 2009 article, the political scientists Kevin T. McGuire, Georg Vanberg, Charles E. Smith Jr. and Gregory A. Caldeira proposed a theory that provides an alternate explanation to liberal drift. They predicted that conservatives would press their luck to take advantage when they had a majority on the court, appealing more cases they lost in lower courts. (Conversely, liberals would be less likely to appeal cases because they were more likely to prefer lower-court decisions and to fear creating damaging precedents.)

Mr. McGuire and his co-authors then showed empirically that this process increased the number of conservative reversals of lower-court rulings but also increased the number of cases in which a more liberal ruling was affirmed because litigants guessed wrong about how far the court was willing to go.

In other words, when conservatives have a majority on the Supreme Court, they send more conservative cases to the Supreme Court — and so, naturally, they end up losing more cases before the Supreme Court, which makes the Court look more liberal.

The Obamacare ruling is a good example. One way to read the outcome of that case is that the Court sided with liberals, and that's evidence of a more liberal term. But another way to read that case is that it only made it to the Supreme Court because the Court has become so conservative — any other Court wouldn't have bothered, and so the proper interpretation is that King v. Burwell is evidence of the Court's conservatism. Nyhan quotes Eric Citron, a former Supreme Court clerk, making exactly this point:

This [decision] is a good example of what’s problematic with the proposition that this is a "liberal" term. On the one hand, this is a huge victory for the left wing of the Court on a contentious issue; on the other hand, this issue does not get granted with a less conservative Court. It all depends on your baseline.

But there's another thing all these measurements miss: the importance of various rulings. The same-sex marriage ruling is a liberal ruling of enormous, even historic, magnitude. The scores will count it as one case, equal to any other case, but it isn't — and its presence alone will ensure that liberals long remember this Court.

Most Supreme Court decisions, after all, don't get this reaction from the other branches of government:

Correction: I misunderstood the methodology behind the Supreme Court Database when I first read it. I read it as relying on Segal-Cover and Martin-Quinn scores to come to its conclusions as to which rulings are liberal and which are conservative. In fact, it's the reverse: Segal-Cover and Martin-Quinn scores used the Supreme Court Database's coding to ground their conclusions. Thanks to the NYT's Jeremy Bowers for walking me through this. The text has been updated throughout.

I still think that the Arizona Commission is going to ruled unconstitutional but I now have a better feeling (because of this and the FHA/ACA rulings)about this and the death penalty cases.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
What are the legal ramifications to Texas' attorney general telling clerks they can refuse to issue marriage licenses to gay couples?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

He didn't tell them to do that. He said that they have 1st Amendment rights to believe whatever they want, and that they can ask for religious accommodations that they are not guaranteed to (i.e won't) receive. It's a chickenshit non-memo that tells no one anything of value, except that the Texas AG is a coward baby whose convictions extend just short of the point that he gets scared of actual consequences to himself.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Squizzle posted:

He didn't tell them to do that. He said that they have 1st Amendment rights to believe whatever they want, and that they can ask for religious accommodations that they are not guaranteed to (i.e won't) receive. It's a chickenshit non-memo that tells no one anything of value, except that the Texas AG is a coward baby whose convictions extend just short of the point that he gets scared of actual consequences to himself.

Yeah it's basically him saying "gently caress this ruling :mad:" on a national stage, and possibly confusing some county clerks into not issuing licenses for a few days without explicitly saying anything that will get him in trouble.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

He also wouldn't even offer them official state legal representation for the inevitable lawsuits, he's just like "you should totally defy the Supreme Court and rebuff those gays, I bet you can find a lawyer to defend you for free, probably"

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Green Crayons posted:

For everyone: prolific writer and judge whenever he can fit it in, Judge Posner, wrote a great Slate article "The chief justice’s dissent is heartless." I'll give you three guesses to figure what it's about!

For those inclined to read about legal jurisprudence: Jack Balkin wrote a piece suggesting how Obergefell will impact the SDP analysis: "Bye, Bye, Glucksberg."

Also, I gotta agree with Kalman. If you accept that SDP is a legitimate constitutional doctrine, Obergefell isn't really radical stuff within that paradigm as set out by the Court.

Choice quote from that slate article (bolding mine):

The chief justice criticizes the majority for “order[ing] the transformation of a social institution that has formed the basis of human society for millennia, for the Kalahari Bushmen and the Han Chinese, the Carthaginians and the Aztecs. Just who do we think we are?” We’re pretty sure we’re not any of the above. And most of us are not convinced that what’s good enough for the Bushmen, the Carthaginians, and the Aztecs should be good enough for us. Ah, the millennia! Ah, the wisdom of ages! How arrogant it would be to think we knew more than the Aztecs—we who don’t even know how to cut a person’s heart out of his chest while’s he still alive, a maneuver they were experts at.

lol

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bushmen, incidentally, is pretty much exclusively used in the pejorative these days to refer to the San peoples of Africa.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Google v. Oracle denied

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Today is the very last decision day right? Or did they schedule another

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Looks like Fisher was granted.

Be prepared for the end of Affirmative Action next year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Green Crayons posted:

Isn't that the one with the awful plaintiff

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mors Rattus posted:

Bushmen, incidentally, is pretty much exclusively used in the pejorative these days to refer to the San peoples of Africa.

Where do you live, if that's OK too ask? It's the only term I've heard outside an academic setting, and I've never gotten the sense it's being used as a pejorative.

Just curious whether it's a regional thing, or if it's time to excise another word from my vocabulary.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn't that the one with the awful plaintiff

Has there ever been an affirmative action case without an awful plaintiff?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Where do you live, if that's OK too ask? It's the only term I've heard outside an academic setting, and I've never gotten the sense it's being used as a pejorative.

Just curious whether it's a regional thing, or if it's time to excise another word from my vocabulary.

I just call groups whatever they call/called themselves, generally. I'm willing to bet it wasn't "bushmen".

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Green Crayons posted:

They could have overturned AA the first time around if they had really wanted to. Fisher just doesn't seem like a very good plaintiff.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Ah, the classic "5-4, gently caress you" decision, how I missed you.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Does "granted" mean the supreme court has agreed to hear the case next term?

I looked at the order list, what does vacated mean in this context? In a decision, they say "remanded and vacated" and that basically means "overruled," right? What does it mean in the orders, where it's granted and the lower ruling is vacated?

e: goddamnit, I know it was high hopes for the lethal injection ruling but still.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The liberals dissent in Glossip, sounds bad, though I don't know what's at stake in the case.

Edit: Oh, death penalty. :(

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Midazolam is permitted for executions. 5-4

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Death Penalty - still legal

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Midazolam is the drug they use to sedate because using other sedatives would be "too nice" for them, right? :smith:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

alnilam posted:

Does "granted" mean the supreme court has agreed to hear the case next term?

I looked at the order list, what does vacated mean in this context? In a decision, they say "remanded and vacated" and that basically means "overruled," right? What does it mean in the orders, where it's granted and the lower ruling is vacated?

e: goddamnit, I know it was high hopes for the lethal injection ruling but still.

Grant, vacate, and remand means "hey, lower court, fix your poo poo."

Typically used when the court thinks a case was wrongly decided but that there's adequate guidance as to how to decide it correctly, or when an intervening decision has rendered a decision wrong.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Florida Betty posted:

They could have overturned AA the first time around if they had really wanted to. Fisher just doesn't seem like a very good plaintiff.

They didn't undo AA last time because Sotomayor apparently ripped Kennedy to shreds in a dissent.

Upon remand, the 5th Circuit dissent criticized the University's failure to define its stated goal - achieving a "critical mass" of minority students - which prevented the court from doing what SCOTUS told it to do upon remand: not defer to the University in determining whether it was using the most narrowly tailored means to achieve that critical mass.

The problem, of course, is that if you go about defining critical mass, you end up looking like you're wanting a quota, which is prohibited. It's a lose/lose situation.

Based on how this played out before, and how it got resolved in the 5th Circuit upon remand, its very much a possibility that SCOTUS will say "critical mass" objectives are too vague and an educational institution must provide a more definite goal in order for a court to apply strict scrutiny. It would not be a death knell of AA in theory - the Fisher case does not challenge "diversity" as a legitimate end, just merely the means to that end - but in practice it would likely be devastating for AA.

-----

Justice Breyer, joined by RBG, would ask for broader briefing on whether the death penalty is constitutional. That's major. But they obviously do not have the votes for that. - See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_orders_and_opinions__June_29_2015#sthash.oMLwBS5w.dpuf

Holy poo poo that's major. First time those two have ever voiced that opinion, I think?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Breyer and RBG would have asked for a broader briefing on whether the death penalty is constitutional. The other 2 liberals did not join that dissent, so looks like there are 2 votes to end the death penalty

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Bullshit, they know for a fact that Midazolam doesn't work for executions, this is a case of taking the easy way out to avoid confronting the fact that we don't know how to execute people in a way that isn't barbaric.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

alnilam posted:

Midazolam is the drug they use to sedate because using other sedatives would be "too nice" for them, right? :smith:
No, they use it because Pentobarbitol and Sodium Thiopental are impossible to get legally for executions.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

@chrisgeidner
Alito writes for the court that prisoners "failed to identify a known and available alternative method of execution." #SCOTUS

Looks like the death penalty's here to stay for at least another generation :sigh:

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

alnilam posted:

No, Midazolam is the only sedative the states can get their hands on, because the more powerful and effective sedatives have been made unavailable to the states for executions by anti-death penalty advocates.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
From Scotusblog:

quote:

There is a very important part of the Court's opinion: it holds that the inmates did not prove that midazolam was cruel and unusual when compared to known and available alternatives. The inmates had argued that the state could use pentobarbital or sodium thiopental, but the Court holds today that those drugs are unavailable. The inmates argued that they shouldn't have to plead an alternative, but the Court rejected that argument.

So the inmates can't argue that a drug that would be used to kill them is cruel and unusual, unless they present another drug that is feasible AND available.

Sorry, this drug may be cruel and unusual but you didn't give us an alternative way that you'd like to die. And we really do need to kill you.

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Northjayhawk posted:

No, Midazolam is the only sedative the states can get their hands on, because the more powerful and effective sedatives have been made unavailable to the states for executions by anti-death penalty advocates.

Mostly because the European Union has banned exporting these drugs to the USA if they are used to kill people.