Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

lilljonas posted:

Oh, and moths, check the oath thread. ;)

What we've got here is a good ol' fashioned Nazi-off! :godwinning:

(I am enjoying this already.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Man I bought a 1/48 38t because it's my favorite tank. As someone who didn't grow up doing model kits. Holy gently caress there are a million parts

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The Pz38(t) is a great looking tank! If you think there are a lot of parts here, never make a Pz35(t). That Vickers-style suspension is murder.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

moths posted:

What we've got here is a good ol' fashioned Nazi-off! :godwinning:

(I am enjoying this already.)

It is fascinating, isn't it. ;)

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a manufacturer for 28mm WW2 that's decent? I need an officer for my late war German Heer platoon for Bolt Action that will stand out from the plastic soldiers he'll lead, but the Warlord metal German officers look terrible. Preferably, they should be available in Europe.

lilljonas that project looks awesome. I'm right across Øresund from you, and it's cool to know cool historicals projects are happening right next door. :denmark::hf::sweden:

Edit: Was looking at these http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1333 Anyone tried Artizan designs? Do they scale well enough with Warlord minis?

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 6, 2015

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
I've heard good things about Foundry: http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/worldwar2/german

Not sure if they're what you're looking for, but worth a try!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

tomdidiot posted:

I've heard good things about Foundry: http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/worldwar2/german

Not sure if they're what you're looking for, but worth a try!

Thanks but I'm looking for more of a late war look, with all the camo poo poo on.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
E: reading comprehension

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 6, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Throbbing blob posted:

Can anyone recommend a manufacturer for 28mm WW2 that's decent? I need an officer for my late war German Heer platoon for Bolt Action that will stand out from the plastic soldiers he'll lead, but the Warlord metal German officers look terrible. Preferably, they should be available in Europe.

lilljonas that project looks awesome. I'm right across Øresund from you, and it's cool to know cool historicals projects are happening right next door. :denmark::hf::sweden:

Edit: Was looking at these http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1333 Anyone tried Artizan designs? Do they scale well enough with Warlord minis?

Thanks! You're welcome to cross the 'sund anytime to check it out when we're done. I have no recommendations for alternative WW2 Germans, unfortunately there's a ton of options out there, but also a ton of very mediocre looking options IMHO.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Throbbing blob posted:

Artisan are awesome, Heer46 makes an amazing late war officer. Crusader, blacktree design, foundry, the assault group, those are some good ones off the top of my head

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

muggins posted:

Artisan are awesome, Heer46 makes an amazing late war officer. Crusader, blacktree design, foundry, the assault group, those are some good ones off the top of my head

To get specific, Black Tree Design are having a sale on most of their WW2 infantry to commemorate D-Day, with a lot of the various nations' infantry (US, UK, German, etc.) being around 40-50% off. My brother ended up getting two platoons of German infantry; whereas, I, like :hitler:, decided to take on two armies at once. And so, in addition to the 50+ Soviets I already have done, I now have a platoon of Brits on their way. :ussr::hf::britain:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

To get specific, Black Tree Design are having a sale on most of their WW2 infantry to commemorate D-Day, with a lot of the various nations' infantry (US, UK, German, etc.) being around 40-50% off. My brother ended up getting two platoons of German infantry; whereas, I, like :hitler:, decided to take on two armies at once. And so, in addition to the 50+ Soviets I already have done, I now have a platoon of Brits on their way. :ussr::hf::britain:

Holy poo poo. Getting a Doctor Who model to use as my commander.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

This is weird. I've managed to paint up all my WW2 German infantry, before I managed to add more of them on the lead pile. Like, really weird.

Anyways, some more infantry and a bunch of pioneers:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I have a bunch of unpainted ones if you want to trade

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

I have a bunch of unpainted ones if you want to trade

Joke aside, I'm curious about what ratio I would use to trade my painted minis for unpainted. Now that I am a full-time working adult, it's quite a lot different from when I was a student. Somewhere between five and ten unpainted for one painted maybe? It's hard to say.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Looking really sweet. I just finished 3 28mm grenadiers myself and was feeling pretty good about it. Then I see new posts in the historicals thread and, well... :sigh:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

They will join my growing Heer-horde:

Seriously, it's pretty close to a full company now.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

They will join my growing Heer-horde:

Seriously, it's pretty close to a full company now.

:vince:

I hope I'll some day get that many nazi mans done. In 28mm I mean.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I put up some notes on how I painted my Soviet armored platoon. Check it out : http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2015/06/color-modulation-and-weathering-on.html

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

I put up some notes on how I painted my Soviet armored platoon. Check it out : http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2015/06/color-modulation-and-weathering-on.html

Awesome post, and you just made me want to spend a ton of money on mig products. :)

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

lilljonas posted:

Awesome post, and you just made me want to spend a ton of money on mig products. :)

Thanks man! I should say that AK Interactive and other companies make the stuff too, but Mig is just really accessible for me.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

Thanks man! I should say that AK Interactive and other companies make the stuff too, but Mig is just really accessible for me.

I'll definitely check them out. However, we're big hobby magpies at the club, and just in time for us to get some solid WW2 forces finished, we're starting to do the first preparations for Italian War gaming. After painting a hundred grey uniforms you kind of get excited about landsknechts.

Anyway, this weekend we had some more terrain building, and I took the time off to do an inventory of the German infantry. 9 10-man squads, roughly a dozen engineers, and another dozen of support troops. So still three squads away from a company. :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Things I learned from the FoW tournament at the weekend:

Recce is super important. I'd have been better off losing three Rifle/MG teams for roughly the same points value of Motorbike troops as a full Infantry platoon.

When you assault some tanks away from the objective don't chase them with your infantry.

Matildas are hilariously tough, and you can take a lot of risks with exposing them to anything short of AT10 if those risks help even slightly.

Came second last out of ten players, but know WHY I lost. And I got in three games in a single day, which is more than I'd normally manage in a year.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Arquinsiel posted:

Things I learned from the FoW tournament at the weekend:

Recce is super important. I'd have been better off losing three Rifle/MG teams for roughly the same points value of Motorbike troops as a full Infantry platoon.

When you assault some tanks away from the objective don't chase them with your infantry.

Matildas are hilariously tough, and you can take a lot of risks with exposing them to anything short of AT10 if those risks help even slightly.

Came second last out of ten players, but know WHY I lost. And I got in three games in a single day, which is more than I'd normally manage in a year.

I'd love to do a FoW tournament, but seeing as I'll be staying in Formosa for another year, highly doubtful I'll be doing anything FoW related anytime soon. You probably did better than I would've! Out of curiosity, what period/points?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I've been looking at something to finish off my WW2 collection before moving on to the Renaissance, and I've come across the idea to convert up a platoon of Gebirgsjäger to go with the rifle company. I think it would be possible if I use Perry's Afrika Korps as a base for the conversions, as all gebirgs-minis are either a) ugly and/or b) expensive as gently caress. I'll probably do a minimum of support options as we have plenty for the Heer troops.

Good idea, or a waste of time? Anyone who converted up some WW2 minis?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

YF19pilot posted:

I'd love to do a FoW tournament, but seeing as I'll be staying in Formosa for another year, highly doubtful I'll be doing anything FoW related anytime soon. You probably did better than I would've! Out of curiosity, what period/points?
Early War 1550. It was two 6-0s against me and a single 5-2 against the guy who came last to finish up. I posted my list above a few posts back.

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
In case anyone missed it Battlefront is doing a 40% everything Arab-Isreali War sale from now until the 29th. You can also buy the Desert Fort model if you want that. If you looked at the game before the Jordanians have gone from trash to quite good, the Egyptians are still difficult to work with in my opinion, and the Isrealis are still great unless you do something silly like try to run an AMX company.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm doin' a thing today!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I'm doin' a thing today!

You're going to burn a Brittish flag in effigy, along with your Naval miniatures?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Don't be silly.

That's not what "in effigy" means at all :colbert:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

You're going to burn a Brittish flag in effigy, along with your Naval miniatures?

I live in frigid New England, firewood is a requirement.

Anyway, battle report probably tomorrow.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Hey. does anyone know if there are any good places to play Flames of War in the DC area (Preferably on the Maryland side)? I just moved down here for grad school and brought my Flames of War army, but so far I haven't found any place to play that doesn't involve a 40+ minute trek on the Beltway to get to.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

TO WILLIAM MARSDEN, ESQ., ADMIRALTY

Vanguard, near Grenada, 28th June, 1804.

Sir,

You will be pleased to acquaint the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty that a victory has been earned in the West Indies. A Detachment of three of His Majesty's Ships, being HMS Vanguard under command of Commodore Rob't Danforth, HMS Terpsichore under command of Post Captain Jacob Atkinson, and HMS Concorde under command of Master and Commander Bailey Edwards, engaged a greater force of four French ships believed to be Genereux, Unite, Hermione, and Alligator. The Action was close resulting in the unfortunate Loss of Terpsichore and Concorde, but also the three lesser French Ships.

It is with great Honor that I add the capture of Genereux, a Third Rate of 74 guns.

Attached are Copies of the Action itself with more Detail.

Your most humble & obed't, &c.,

COMMODORE DANFORTH

--

The prizes (British v. French):

Starting positions:

The wind is blowing from the East as the fleets spot one another.

Commodore! French sails to Starboard!

Both fleets move to engage. HMS Swan is directed to find the rest of the fleet.

(I made a mistake in issuing orders to HMS Swan, which is easy to do in this game, and sent it off the table in the second turn.)

The British line remains intact, while the French do something else entirely

The French commander was not paying attention

The Alligator collides with what we thought was Genereux (but it turns out my nephew had some ships confused, which we promptly fixed), and takes damage.

Ce n'est pas Le Genereux, Monsieur! C'est L'Unite!

The fleets are close enough now that combat is inevitable.

The British commodore splits his line to deal with the French and the first cannons roar from both sides

Hermione is hit with a devestating broadside from HMS Vanguard. Vanguard is struck with a meager showing by Hermione

A quick turn to larboard separates the smaller Aligator from his French friends

Alligator, now separated, takes another hit from HMS Vanguard Unite takes shots from HMS Terpsichore Terpsichore loses some crew to cannon fire from Unite

The brave British Tars continue to maneuver like bold young seamen while the French prove they're no match at navigating the sea

Terpsichore loses some crew to cannon fire from Unite HMS Concorde loses crew from shots by Unite Alligator is once again beset by fire, this time from both Terpsichore and HMS Vanguard

The British begin turning their formation about

HMS Terpsichore is struck by a single ball with moderate effect as Alligator desperately tries to survive. HMS Concorde suffers a heavy broadside from Genereux, but manages to retaliate sharply as well as striking Hermione and killing more French sailors.

The French commodore realizes he has the weather gauge and finally orders his fleet to regain composure

In the confusion and smoke, Terpsichore and Concorde collide

Taking advantage of the collision, Alligator lets loose in to HMS Concorde. But despite the jarring shudder of two ships bumping one another, Concorde returns fire and sinks the Alligator, and fires on Genereux from the other side!

L'Alligator has sunk!

Free of entanglements, the fleets begin to reform, all the while working their guns

...and then the French collide again!

Hermione and Genereux smash each others timbers Terpsichore takes a devastating broadside from Genereux Hermione is sunk by HMS Terpsichore, undone by her own navigational incompetence

L'Hermione has sunk!

She should have watched where she was going

Unite fires in to HMS Concorde and send her to the depths

Unite takes an opportunity and sinks HMS Concorde as Terpsichore returns fire on Genereux

The odds are starting to even out, although a keen eye sees more damage on the French fleet

Hot flames spew forth from cannons' mouths once more

Unite again fires on Terpsichore who is now limping along, while Genereux opens up on HMS Vanguard. The British return fire and watch their balls penetrate deeply.

These Frenchmen are crazy!

Unite rams Vanguard! And then promptly sinks.

HMS Terpsichore chases Genereux while HMS Vanguard repositions after the ramming action

Genereux proves it still has some tricks and pulls away from Terpsichore - and right in to a strong firing position!

Genereux slips by and destroys Terpsichore, who managed to get off one last broadside.

Board boys, board!

After some maneuvers and chasing, HMS Vanguard rolls up to Genereux and aboard they go!

Genereux strikes her colours!

The British are victorious! God Save the King!

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hey. does anyone know if there are any good places to play Flames of War in the DC area (Preferably on the Maryland side)? I just moved down here for grad school and brought my Flames of War army, but so far I haven't found any place to play that doesn't involve a 40+ minute trek on the Beltway to get to.

This is probably the 40 minute trek you're referring to, but I know flames of war is played regularly at Game Parlor in Chantilly VA

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Attached are Copies of the Action itself with more Detail.

Yesssss!

I've had my eye on this game ever since I saw the preview at Salute a few years back. Used to play the GW Trafalgar rules when they were first released, but am more interested in smaller frigate actions as opposed to the giant fleet scraps. The fact that it's pre-paints is a plus as well.

How long did this battle take? Is there a SoG effort post anywhere in this thread?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dirt Worshipper posted:

This is probably the 40 minute trek you're referring to, but I know flames of war is played regularly at Game Parlor in Chantilly VA

Nah, that one appears to be a 57 minute trek :v: Thanks for the info, though, I'll probably check it out anyway if I have time. I'll be moving over to VA in two months as well, so it'll be a lot easier to get to then.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

BeigeJacket posted:

Yesssss!

I've had my eye on this game ever since I saw the preview at Salute a few years back. Used to play the GW Trafalgar rules when they were first released, but am more interested in smaller frigate actions as opposed to the giant fleet scraps. The fact that it's pre-paints is a plus as well.

How long did this battle take? Is there a SoG effort post anywhere in this thread?

This is actually my second battle report on SoG, but I'm not sure it was too "effort" on my part:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=425071726&forumid=234
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=425092780&forumid=234

Anyway, we started playing at 5PM and I think we finished at 9:30 with a break for dinner. So including learning the rules a bit as we went, it was fairly quick even with 4 ships to a side.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Crossposting from the oath thread, here comes a Panzer 38!

Now I'm mostly missing a flamer version of the Panzer II, and we have most of the tanks on the 1941 Barbarossa list for CoC at the club, with several duplicates.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Wow. I need this game in my life.

Edit: SoG that is. Good job on that 38(t) though!

Edit 2: Is it not up for sale yet? I only get mentions of Kickstarter campaigns when I try to use their shop.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's on Amazon and The War Store.