Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Turn 1 - 4 crits from maggots on a backline healer + instant deathblow

:allears:

vvv 3 crits took him to 0, the next hit (which was a crit as well, irrelevant here, but a nice touch as well) killed him. Usually you get a couple of death doors, but here the killing blow was first one

canis minor fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
what do you mean by instant deathblow? That's not a thing? You get taken to deaths door if you hit 0 HP, you never go from 1+HP to dead.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Okay somehow I've managed to kill the Necromancer and the Prophet guy without a single casualty so far. I'm going to get destroyed by the other bosses aren't I.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Azran posted:

Okay somehow I've managed to kill the Necromancer and the Prophet guy without a single casualty so far. I'm going to get destroyed by the other bosses aren't I.

Make sure you bleed/blight out the flesh if you can't smack around the gooey innards.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Holy poo poo I just did the Hag in one go without losing anyone :gonk:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is there any reason not to run the short easy missions at the start of the game repeatedly to build up some money and infrastructure? Or is it like XCOM where after a certain number of weeks a giant space monster will show up in town and eat the president?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Nope, there's no time pressure at all, you can run the easiest ones over and over until you get bored, or your roster gets full (Level 3 and higher guys won't do the level 1 missions anymore).

I think it's a plus personally, the game right now is great for jumping into every once in a while and trying out new group setups, or making gradual progress on the higher level stuff. My A-team doesn't tackle anything remotely challenging until they've got the best gear and skill upgrades.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Holy poo poo the cannon boss is such bullshit. My entire team misses the matchman, the cannon fires and leaves everyone on Death's Door. Then it calls for Reinforcements, gets a rifle Brigand and the Brigand immediately acts, using his Blanket Fire skill to kill my entire team at the same time. I'm lucky it was only the B Team but still, wow.

Edit: They really need a Bestiary so I can see what the gently caress some skills do.

Azran fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 27, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cowcaster posted:

Is there any reason not to run the short easy missions at the start of the game repeatedly to build up some money and infrastructure? Or is it like XCOM where after a certain number of weeks a giant space monster will show up in town and eat the president?

You're gauranteed to have at least 1 "Apprentice" mission every week. That said however, after a couple dozen weeks you aren't going to be seeing many Short ones, mainly Medium and Long.

Azran posted:

Holy poo poo the cannon boss is such bullshit. My entire team misses the matchman, the cannon fires and leaves everyone on Death's Door. Then it calls for Reinforcements, gets a rifle Brigand and the Brigand immediately acts, using his Blanket Fire skill to kill my entire team at the same time. I'm lucky it was only the B Team but still, wow.

Edit: They really need a Bestiary so I can see what the gently caress some skills do.
Bring two or three MaA, use their +10 dodge to all buff right before the fight. Spam Retribution on the matchmaker. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 27, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Uh... Yeah, MaAs seem REALLY strong. Four of them just riposte'd the Piggy Prince to death :stare:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Azran posted:

Uh... Yeah, MaAs seem REALLY strong. Four of them just riposte'd the Piggy Prince to death :stare:
Yeah, it's pretty crazy because I will often start a dungeon and then camp, give everyone +30 dodge, and then just kind of waltz through spamming the "4" key (which is where I keep retr.) I like to bring a healer as well. And god help the enemy who AOEs. ;)

I think my least favorite classes are Leper and Bounty Hunter. A frontline tank with no real movement or crowd control is pretty useless compared to most other options (including the "gently caress it who needs a tank anyway? I've got highwaymen and GRs"), and the BH's basic melee attack just doesn't hit hard enough - even the MaA hits harder than him by default, and he doesn't need a carefully orchestrated set of marks to make them do 20-30 dmg a round. The hook attacks are cute but unnecessary, and Mark wastes a turn as well.

Perhaps they should make BH's mark bonus smaller, but stackable, and then add it to one of their bread and butter attacks. Being stuck with only 3 attacks which all aren't really anything to write home about, is pretty weak when you've also got a blow a turn per target to do any worthwhile damage. Perhaps if they would auto-apply mark to enemies somehow it could help make them more useful all around, or if their chain attacks actually did some viable damage along the lines of Abyssal Artillery or something, at least. Maybe an AOE Mark ability to hit two at a time? I like the anti-stun attack in theory however, I usually stun enemies in order to burn down others, so it is again, superfluous.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 27, 2015

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
To be fair, the BH's stun+shuffle is the highest base stun in the game. Before the MaA came out a BH was my go-to stunner when I wasn't using a Hellion, and even then being able to hit and shuffle jerks in the back row was really useful.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Huh, post nerf the bounty hunter has lost half of his use. But the bounty hunter isn't a front line melee class. He's a back line melee class with unusually high damage and utility for slot 3. It used to be you could also stick him in slot 4 like you would an arbalest.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm not sure what the nerfs did, but Bounty Hunters can go through size 2 bosses (most of them) like nothing if you use Takedown Plan in camp then mark > Collect Bounty.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
The nerfs restricted the Bounty Hunter's positioning. They used to have a full damage attack from position four, now they only have a stun, a bleed, and a pull from that slot.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I lost my level 6 Vestal, the one you get in your first caravan, to the cannon. I snuffed the torches because I'm greedy and my Leper, naturally, missed the deathblow on a 1hp cannon.

Another day in the Darkest Dungeon.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

coyo7e posted:

And god help the enemy who AOEs. ;)
Wait, if an enemy AOEs and you have multiple Man (men?) at Arms with Retribution active then ... :aaa:

I never even thought about that. These guys are going to get nerfed again for sure.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

coyo7e posted:

I think my least favorite classes are Leper and Bounty Hunter. A frontline tank with no real movement or crowd control is pretty useless compared to most other options (including the "gently caress it who needs a tank anyway? I've got highwaymen and GRs"), and the BH's basic melee attack just doesn't hit hard enough - even the MaA hits harder than him by default, and he doesn't need a carefully orchestrated set of marks to make them do 20-30 dmg a round. The hook attacks are cute but unnecessary, and Mark wastes a turn as well.

Perhaps they should make BH's mark bonus smaller, but stackable, and then add it to one of their bread and butter attacks. Being stuck with only 3 attacks which all aren't really anything to write home about, is pretty weak when you've also got a blow a turn per target to do any worthwhile damage. Perhaps if they would auto-apply mark to enemies somehow it could help make them more useful all around, or if their chain attacks actually did some viable damage along the lines of Abyssal Artillery or something, at least. Maybe an AoE Mark ability to hit two at a time? I like the anti-stun attack in theory however, I usually stun enemies in order to burn down others, so it is again, superfluous.

The Bounty Hunter has always been better when used with someone else who can mark like the Occultist. With the Arbalest now available, an Arb-Occ-BH-Whatever team is really, really powerful, second only to, say, a fully-itemized Highwayman/Hellion AoE team (or 3-4 Men-At-Arms because holy poo poo he's gonna need a nerf). Give the Occultist his camp speed buff or a Quick Draw Charm so he goes first and use him to mark the biggest thing, as his mark is the only one that does damage, can crit, and comes packaged with a debuff as a small bonus. The Arbalest and Bounty Hunter can then unload on whatever it is with loads of bonus damage, and the Occultist can spend the rest of the fight healing or stabbing.

This team doesn't really shine until you hit the L3 dungeons, though, as monsters don't usually have the HP to make constant marking worthwhile. Once the big stuff shows up, though, they're great.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Honestly if you play the game as if the Manarms doesn't exist the class balance kind of makes sense.

But I like my manarms.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Okay, I"m slowly warming up to the Jester and the Grave Robber.

Still not so sure on the Plague doctor.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
I'm not sold on the Jester. What, exactly, is his role? All the other classes I like or at least can understand what they are supposed to be accomplishing, but the Jester just seems....all over the place.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Plague Doctor continues to be best third rank party choice for me. Curing damage over times saves a lot of HP so the vestal in the back can continue attacking/stunning, and once the skills are leveled up the plague doctors attacks are as good as any middle rank characters, plus huge amounts of damage over time on top. It's really, really hard to beat a plague doctor for that third rank choice. Cures, back two rank stun, and solid attacks plus great damage over time.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I wonder what role the Merchant will play. It'd be fun to have a Bribe skill so you can use Human enemies' skills against their allies, but aside from something like that or "Throw Money" I can't think of much combat utility :v:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The way I've been using my Jester is to put him in the first two slots of the party with a Crusader Buddy (With Holy Lance, so they can shuffle back and forth between first and second slot) and have him build up bleed with Slice Off, or hit deep into the enemy ranks to kill annoying targets with Dirk Stab. In large groups I sometimes have him open up with Solo to try and minimize the damage I take, but I think I might well drop that and pick up Harvest and Heroic End, for more focus on Bleed and killing priority targets.

I think that you could also have a Jester content to hang out in the third rank and riff out some Battle Ballad to go along with Slice/Harvest, but then Dirk Stab hurls you way out of position.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
I've heard some theories about the Merchant, the mostly about how they'd be a crappy combatant that gives you loot bonuses/more inventory/better mission rewards, or something like that.

Also I can't really recommend the Plague Doctor, even though I want to - I like her design and concept a lot. Once you get some levels and good trinkets in your party, she falls away in usefulness since her DoT damage doesn't scale like straight damage does, and it's in your interest to end battles as fast as you can to minimize damage.

Her two best abilities - the double back row stun and blight - collapse in usefulness as soon as something dies, and in some battles you won't even have a fourth enemy to hit from the start. It doesn't help that blight resistance is way more common than bleed, either. Her heal is ok, but enemy DoTs aren't overly dangerous, and other healers have their own advantages - Vestals heal for more, can heal the whole party, and have decent damage output, and the Occultist can occasionally heal enormously, has a great crit rate, and can mark targets giving him incredible synergy with the BH and Arbalest. Her camp skills aren't amazing either, compared with Bless or any of the Occ's.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Coucho Marx posted:

I've heard some theories about the Merchant, the mostly about how they'd be a crappy combatant that gives you loot bonuses/more inventory/better mission rewards, or something like that.

Yeah, as discussed in livestreams during the kickstarter, the idea behind the Merchant was that they would be Bad At Things and deliberately underpowered, a sort of challenge class for people who wanted to "lol I did an all merchant run", etc., with a tradeoff that you would get better financial rewards if you brought them along. There was some discussion that they might have a blunderbuss weapon that you would load with gold/treasure for big AoE damage.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Hahahaha yes, I'd love to have a money shotgun :black101:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

How much am I missing out on by keeping my torch at full blast? I figure it's just money, right? The thing I get a bunch of during a mission anyway? Is there any real incentive to snuffing the torch?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cowcaster posted:

How much am I missing out on by keeping my torch at full blast? I figure it's just money, right? The thing I get a bunch of during a mission anyway? Is there any real incentive to snuffing the torch?

With the right trinkets and the right party you can blaze through dungeons making megaloot on full-dark runs, but it takes preparation and you have to know what you're doing. Half of it is stacking +crit items and the "moon" trinkets, the defensive half I forget (+dodge and +prot?). You don't need the additional reward at all, no, but it might matter if they ever add any sort of impending-doom clock or countdown to the town game, so that making money faster mattered.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 28, 2015

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Coucho Marx posted:

Her two best abilities - the double back row stun and blight - collapse in usefulness as soon as something dies, and in some battles you won't even have a fourth enemy to hit from the start. It doesn't help that blight resistance is way more common than bleed, either. Her heal is ok, but enemy DoTs aren't overly dangerous, and other healers have their own advantages - Vestals heal for more, can heal the whole party, and have decent damage output, and the Occultist can occasionally heal enormously, has a great crit rate, and can mark targets giving him incredible synergy with the BH and Arbalest. Her camp skills aren't amazing either, compared with Bless or any of the Occ's.

So many wrong opinions... I just cant.... :negative:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Cowcaster posted:

Well, you can be like me and just go balls out no matter what. That isn't to say I don't use trinkets, but I like playing rocket tag with Elder Horrors in the pitch black. :sissies:

There are advantages to fighting in the dark, besides loot. You will crit more often, which is cool. Don't be afraid to fight in the dark, if you are inexperienced, you will learn what works and what doesn't quickly, and if you're a silly sap, you'll run away relatively quickly when things go south. Maybe you'll save your favored champion, maybe you'll have to learn the hard way. In any case, fighting in the dark is a challenge that you can overcome, and it's nowhere near as intimidating as it appears.

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 28, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

:lol:

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Jade Star posted:

So many wrong opinions... I just cant.... :negative:

I want to like the Plague Doctor, but when my current teams wrecking face as much as they are, adding one in just slows them down. This post pretty much outlines what I've already said.

I'm probably a bad example anyway, I've been playing this game for months and have all but broken it over my knee, Sun Rings and all the best offensive trinkets everywhere. It's not like you can't be successful with the PD, but I've found most other classes to be significantly more effective at just killing things quickly, which kinda makes DoTs irrelevant.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You don't need the additional reward at all, no, but it might matter if they ever add any sort of impending-doom clock or countdown to the town game, so that making money faster mattered.

I for one am glad that I have an infinite amount of time to play video games and never get bored doing things the slower and more tedious way.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Gabriel Pope posted:

I for one am glad that I have an infinite amount of time to play video games and never get bored doing things the slower and more tedious way.

I for one am glad that I have an infinite amount of time to play video games so that I have no problem restarting from scratch when a failure state eats my game 50+ weeks in.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I've read a lot of people complain that the game is too easy because there's no real way to lose, but a game with saves that is "loseable" essentially works out to the same thing, right? I guess there's the issue of farming gold forever with free heroes though, so you can just keep upgrading everyone.

Interested to play the Houndmaster when that comes out. Did we ever find out what dog they're going with?

(Can we have dog armour DLC?)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Time_pants posted:

I for one am glad that I have an infinite amount of time to play video games so that I have no problem restarting from scratch when a failure state eats my game 50+ weeks in.
Shouldn't this read "I, too, am glad" since you're agreeing with him?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I think the lack of a fail state is noticeable mostly since there is no win state right now. So if you can't win at least make it so you can lose? I dunno. I kinda like being able to gently caress around forever, myself.

On that note, I killed the Flesh, only the Cannon left (Tier ones, at least.) My problem right now is that there aren't enough good characters at low level in my roster. :v:

Out of curiosity, has anyone else had their characters or trinkets disappear? I see some reports about that and I am concerned. Unrelated to that, jesus game stop giving me witch doctors and occultists.

Azran fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 28, 2015

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Jackard posted:

Shouldn't this read "I, too, am glad" since you're agreeing with him?

poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

odiv posted:

Interested to play the Houndmaster when that comes out. Did we ever find out what dog they're going with?

(Can we have dog armour DLC?)
Last update said it was gonna be a Wolfhound.

Adorable yet still intimidating! :3: