Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Twelve by Pies posted:

So how would one know when to cast Level 5 Death in this situation? Just hope you get lucky?

I think he's basing it off the doom timer and is maybe counting when he scrolls through the menu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Twelve by Pies posted:

So how would one know when to cast Level 5 Death in this situation? Just hope you get lucky?

The easiest way to do it is to run away - every time you see the "Can't escape!" message is one ATB tick and Exdeath has lost one level. Get 5 of those, wait a brief moment, and then slam down L5 Death on his head.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

New run looks all right.

Blue Mage and Bard work well together but ugh... another Geomancer and another Dragoon.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I misread Lvl 2 Old. Gonna do that tomorrow (well, after Condemn and Lvl 3 Flare). Blue Mage, even my gimped version w/o useful support, is pretty hilarious. Feels great when it works but not too often overpowered. Neater than flinging boosted Thundaga the whole game or whatever.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Today I learned that you can't target your own team when breaking rods. There goes my strategy for Omega.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Samuel Clemens posted:

Today I learned that you can't target your own team when breaking rods. There goes my strategy for Omega.

Poison Rods can be cracked at your own party, however (this is how quickleaking works).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Back from the beach and ready to Fiesta! Saw my first job was Knight while I was gone. About to get started so I thought I'd check my Water job.

My first Fiesta will be a :black101: Fiesta :getin:

Seawaffle
Jun 21, 2007
making a career of misquoting
So, this is my first time running through FF5. I peeked at my jobs (just finished fire crystal) and it looks like I've got Thief/Red Mage/Ninja/Samurai. It seems like it's going to be an easy run, but are there any particular synergies I should pay attention to or things I should be sure not to miss? Am I just throwing money all day every day?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Seawaffle posted:

So, this is my first time running through FF5. I peeked at my jobs (just finished fire crystal) and it looks like I've got Thief/Red Mage/Ninja/Samurai. It seems like it's going to be an easy run, but are there any particular synergies I should pay attention to or things I should be sure not to miss? Am I just throwing money all day every day?

Steal three TwinLances from Bal's basement and you'll be able to autobattle through almost the entirety of World 2. (Four if you give your thief Dual Wield)

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012

Seawaffle posted:

Lots of good options, really.

Thief + Iainuki = very short random battles
Ninja + katana = badass double critical
Samurai + Dual wield = same
DW is good on any physical class, really.

If you find your ninja and thief too "squishy" they can equip elven mantles, a Main Gauche dagger, and the Samurai's Shirahadori and be nigh impervious to physical attacks.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Seawaffle posted:

Put !Throw on your Red Mage ASAP so your elemental scrolls can benefit from the increased magic and ability to equip rods. Once you get Dual-Wield you're probably better off putting that on her so you can boost rods as you break them; I think rods deal more damage but I'm not sure. Rods are definitely more versatile, and more expensive, than elemental scrolls.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Goddammit Neo Exdeath, why are you so much stronger than literally everything else in the game? :mad:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
What's the best location to farm for gil at the end of world 1? I want to prep some flame rings and 750 rods for world 2. Are wild nakks still the best choice or are there faster locations by that point?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

World 2 exdeath down!

Yellow dragons don't work, but those ironback dudes you can get under the sea do like 4k damage.

Couple that with some lucky sword dances and dodges thanks to the elven mantle, and now I can go get the Brave Blade for my all melee team.

Related: does excalipoor work with sword dance, or does it suck there too?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bah, wanted to know my full team (and if I should go Chicken Knife of Brave Blade) and got Knight / Berserker / Geomancer / Samurai. I'm thinking Brave Blade, no?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Always get the Chicken Knife. The Brave Blade really isn't worth never being able to run, and the knife is better anyway.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

You can do it, Galuf. Keep whacking him with your stick! Yaaaaaay! :buddy:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Atomos was a nail-biter. Two Meteos to the face kills anyone, so I just wound up having everyone either revive a corpse or cast ???? while hoping my Zerker procced Sword Dance.

e:

Dragonatrix posted:

You can do it, Galuf. Keep whacking him with your stick! Yaaaaaay! :buddy:

It's absolutely imperative that Galuf actually run through X-Death's HP there, isn't it? Like if I'd (for some insane reason) stuck Berserk and the Healing Staff on him, I'd be stuck?

...I have not done that, but now I want to.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 28, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

pretty soft girl posted:

What's the best location to farm for gil at the end of world 1? I want to prep some flame rings and 750 rods for world 2. Are wild nakks still the best choice or are there faster locations by that point?

Nakks are still your best bet. There are encounters which yield more gil, but they're not as common or as easy. There's really no reason to ever farm for Flame Rings, though.

Bregor posted:

Bah, wanted to know my full team (and if I should go Chicken Knife of Brave Blade) and got Knight / Berserker / Geomancer / Samurai. I'm thinking Brave Blade, no?

You have no way of bypassing the Chicken Knife's flee effect, so the Brave Blade would be the superior choice. The question is whether you're willing to fight every single encounter just to get a weapon that's a bit better than the Excalibur.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Dareon posted:

Atomos was a nail-biter. Two Meteos to the face kills anyone, so I just wound up having everyone either revive a corpse or cast ???? while hoping my Zerker procced Sword Dance.

e:

It's absolutely imperative that Galuf actually run through X-Death's HP there, isn't it? Like if I'd (for some insane reason) stuck Berserk and the Healing Staff on him, I'd be stuck?

please report back, crazy game breaking glitches are extremely my poo poo

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
With a team of Knight/Summoner/Geomancer/Blue Mage, do I have any way to get blue skills like White Wind and Mighty Guard?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mountaineer posted:

With a team of Knight/Summoner/Geomancer/Blue Mage, do I have any way to get blue skills like White Wind and Mighty Guard?

Confuse with dancing dagger, or maybe a blue spell I'm not sure.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dareon posted:

You have to deal 7,001 damage to him to get him to the rest of his script.

code:
Condition:HP < 43000{
     Display Text: Exdeath:  Take this!!
     Specialty
[...]
          Display Text: Galuf:  Even if my life
          Display Text: 'burns out...I will defeat you!!
          Set V00=01
          Set V01=01
          Nothing
          }
     }
Hence why Galuf spent an hour punching him on my file. If you can't deal damage it goes nowhere.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

You have no way of bypassing the Chicken Knife's flee effect, so the Brave Blade would be the superior choice. The question is whether you're willing to fight every single encounter just to get a weapon that's a bit better than the Excalibur.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I don't mind fighting every battle and with Equip Swords I can use Excal on someone else (not sure about BB, never had it before).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Victory!

The two Berserkers made precision a fond wish, and Samurai/Ninja was kind of boring as far as synergy goes. I actually ended up not attacking with the Chicken Knife at all, since !Throw did way more damage when I used Fuma Shuriken or strong bladed weapons. I'd like to try all three classes again, but not all together. Not even gonna try Omega or Shinryu.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
Samurai/Dragoon/Chemist/Dancer for my 3rd run. I really hate Dragoons, but I've never gotten the other three before which is fun.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

:science:

I'm taking this as an "I'm sorry" for last run.

E: Should I kill NED with a quad Level 5 Death? Or 9999 Goblin Punches?

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 28, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
drat, the first phase of Exdeath is harder than Neo-Exdeath. Almost crushed him the first time, but then every time I get While Hole'd to death before reaching NED.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
Missed the Fartz train but oh well.

Everyone with Equip Ribbons except Dancer with !Hide. Sing my level, strength, speed, and magic (for magic lamp) up to max during phase 1, !Zeninage, Swords Dance, !Hide during Almagest and chuck items around otherwise, and attack with Excalibur. Fairly easy run. Not sure if I feel like going for the superbosses, even though Bard makes both doable.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Bregor posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I don't mind fighting every battle and with Equip Swords I can use Excal on someone else (not sure about BB, never had it before).

Giving your Berserker either the Brave Blade or the Excalibur is a solid choice, since you have no way of increasing her magic for the Rune Axe.

Come to think of it, the Geomancer might actually do decently well with a Rune Axe or Rune Sword. Never tried that.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Try as I might I can't beat mobile Omega. The only thing I have that does any damage at all is Ragnarok and it does 2500 or 4000 when I berserk my Knight. The problem is that it hits about 5 percent of the time. I can survive for a while but I never hit him more than twice per attempt. Will leveling up increase my hit rate or should I just move on?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

As a first timer, I got confused when the friendly people in chat congratulated me for rolling chemist after fire shrine place.

Then I stocked up on turtle shells and :psypop:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Artelier posted:

As a first timer, I got confused when the friendly people in chat congratulated me for rolling chemist after fire shrine place.

Then I stocked up on turtle shells and :psypop:

Welcome to the fold. :science:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Evil Eagle posted:

Try as I might I can't beat mobile Omega. The only thing I have that does any damage at all is Ragnarok and it does 2500 or 4000 when I berserk my Knight. The problem is that it hits about 5 percent of the time. I can survive for a while but I never hit him more than twice per attempt. Will leveling up increase my hit rate or should I just move on?

10%, actually, Omega has 90% Evasion in all versions. :eng101: The problem is that they fixed the bug where !Calm works on it, and I'm not sure if Romeo's Ballad still works, meaning you've got to find a way around his huge evasion and counter bullshit. Sadly, the only stats that leveling up increases are HP, MP, and your damage multipliers, though. It might be better to just move on unless you can exploit something like !Jump or !Rapidfire, which ignore Evasion.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
One down, two to go.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

10%, actually, Omega has 90% Evasion in all versions. :eng101: The problem is that they fixed the bug where !Calm works on it, and I'm not sure if Romeo's Ballad still works, meaning you've got to find a way around his huge evasion and counter bullshit. Sadly, the only stats that leveling up increases are HP, MP, and your damage multipliers, though. It might be better to just move on unless you can exploit something like !Jump or !Rapidfire, which ignore Evasion.

I can survive until he gets rid of my floats from Crystelle release by using delta attack then uses earth shaker. Probably not enough time to hit 15 times with 10% chance. Time for chaos run number 3!

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Should I be having trouble with Garula with a thief party? I'm level 13 and getting angry at video games

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

a real jerk posted:

Should I be having trouble with Garula with a thief party? I'm level 13 and getting angry at video games

He has counter attacks so thief parties usually have 1 person attack while the rest heal him from the back row. Make sure you grab mythril daggers from the wyverns in Walse tower.

My first job in chaos run 3 is bard. That is a lot of freelancer time.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 28, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

a real jerk posted:

Yeah he is tough for theives.

Steal mythril daggers from wyrverns (y burns). Put everyone in the front row with the flee action and get the elven cape from below the castle. The cloak gives a 1/3rd chance of avoiding a physical attack.

For the boss itself put everyone in the back row and give faris the elven cloak. Lenna is the heal bot and galuf and fartz will be backup heal bots. Remember he has counter attacks so don't attack if you are on low health.

Edit: if you are play the gba version, just use quicksave to restart the encounter rate under the castle. Take 10 steps or so then quicksave and repeat to avoid all the battles.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

First Final Fantasy Five Run complete

Didn't go for either of the superbosses, as Omega pushed my poo poo in every time, and I didn't feel like farming Dragon Lances with the thief's knife.

• Locked thread