Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Internet Wizard posted:

If Reynolds wrote a collection of short stories that was just Clavain going on rad space adventures I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Same here.

Absolution Gap just feels odd. The parts on the planet just seem so different in tone and pacing than the rest of the story, that I'm sure it turned off a lot of readers. Then it picks back up again at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I just finished Use of Weapons.

God drat, Banks. 'Chairmaker' indeed. :smithicide:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

WarLocke posted:

For someone who was extremely personally affable, principled, and possessed of a strong sense of morality and compassion, Banks had the most incredibly ghoulish talent for imagining the cruel and macabre.

I'm not sure I can think of a single one of his books, SF or not, that doesn't have something toe-curlingly horrible in it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

There's a bit of that in many Reynoldses too. It's not exactly why they are some of my favourite authors but having that dash of base-level dread is a part of the recipe.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Reynolds has some good ones, that Sectioning thing in House of Suns... *shudder*

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WarLocke posted:

When I told a friend to read that book I said it had a really good chair in it.

I'm glad he went into it completely confused about what the hell a chair had to do with anything.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

When I told a friend to read that book I said it had a really good chair in it.

I'm glad he went into it completely confused about what the hell a chair had to do with anything.

You are a really evil person.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I saw a fan (goon?) made cover for it that was just a silhouette of a chair... it was beautiful

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

I saw a fan (goon?) made cover for it that was just a silhouette of a chair... it was beautiful

This is my paperback book cover, though. From the publisher.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Drifter posted:

This is my paperback book cover, though. From the publisher.

I can just imagine someone reading that book.

"What the gently caress is this chair on the cover?"
. . .
"Oh, okay, he's freaked out by chairs for some reason? Idunno whatever."
. . .
. . .
"Holy gently caress, what" :psypop:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
If I've never read a Culture book, could I get into that? Because now I have to loving know what the deal is.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

The Muffinlord posted:

If I've never read a Culture book, could I get into that? Because now I have to loving know what the deal is.

Yes you could, they're superb and they all standalone. Read Player of Games then Use of Weapons, or just jump into Use of Weapons.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Yes you could, they're superb and they all standalone. Read Player of Games then Use of Weapons, or just jump into Use of Weapons.

I think Consider Phlebas is a good introduction (and it is the first book) since the viewpoint character isn't part of the Culture so you get a view of it from the outside before having characters that take it for granted in the next books.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think it's a bad introduction and I try to steer people away from it, for fear of turning them off the Culture. It's a good book, but it's so intentionally and constantly cruel that it gives a very misleading picture of what you're signing up for.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

General Battuta posted:

just jump into Use of Weapons.

Just jump into Use of Weapons. It was my first Culture novel and it worked out fine. Although Player of Games is still my favorite.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Muffinlord posted:

Use of Weapons was my first culture book, too. After that one I read Player of Games and then just went back and read all of them in order from publish date.

But look...as far as 'twists' and poo poo go, and I mean, it's a great book, don't get me wrong, but if you've spent twenty minutes on the internet I can't see that it'll phase you or whatever in the slightest. It's a good fuckin' book, but don't let these weirdos build up that whole ending as though it were Jesus Christ washing your car and serving you lemonade. It's a good ending, of course, but it's not :psypop: worthy. At best it's :catstare:-worthy.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 30, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I honestly can't recall which Banks novel was my first, although I have a feeling that I somehow got hold of Player of Games a decade or so before I really registered the work or the author.. I think Use of Weapons was the first one which stuck with me and caused me to want to hunt down the rest of his work.

Also Use of Weapons' ending "twist" was a lot more novel for me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

Also Use of Weapons' ending "twist" was a lot more novel for me.

I've become inured to life. :negative:

...and puns, coyo7e. :mad:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I recommend reading just Use of Weapons if you would like to only commit to 1 book, but reading Player of Games then Use of Weapons if you'd like to commit to 2+.

The Use of Weapons twist I did not find as surprising as everyone else seems to, I feel it was very properly foreshadowed and the whole novel built towards its pleasantly horrific conclusion in a very satisfying manner.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Drifter posted:

Use of Weapons was my first culture book, too. After that one I read Player of Games and then just went back and read all of them in order from publish date.

But look...as far as 'twists' and poo poo go, and I mean, it's a great book, don't get me wrong, but if you've spent twenty minutes on the internet I can't see that it'll phase you or whatever in the slightest. It's a good fuckin' book, but don't let these weirdos build up that whole ending as though it were Jesus Christ washing your car and serving you lemonade. It's a good ending, of course, but it's not :psypop: worthy. At best it's :catstare:-worthy.

As for the chair, my first impression was "Oh, it is one of those endings".
Interesting twist, but nothing more than that.
I had read several other Culture books before Use of Weapons, and you kinda get used to Banks always having a twist in the end.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I was discussing Use of Weapons with my dad the other day. As I told him, my favourite thing isn't so much the twist, but re-reading the book afterwards. It's like the ambiguity in a sentence like "The officer shot the man with a gun' except as a novel, and it's really cleverly done in many places.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Taeke posted:

I was discussing Use of Weapons with my dad the other day. As I told him, my favourite thing isn't so much the twist, but re-reading the book afterwards. It's like the ambiguity in a sentence like "The officer shot the man with a gun' except as a novel, and it's really cleverly done in many places.

Yeah, this. In hindsight everything was set up well in advance, but I'm not quite used to Banks' style and missed the connotations of a lot of it as I read through. So at the end everything clicks together all at once.

Like the chapter that ends with Zakalwe shooting himself in the head. Oh, that's why he woke up in a hospital with a messed-up memory. And then later, NOPE :catstare:

I will say the narrative construction(?) of Use of Weapons is pretty unique - one story progressing 'forwards' and the other starting at the 'end' and working back to the beginning, alternating by chapter I haven't seen done before.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I shouldn't buy more books but damnit you guys just won't shut up about Use of Weapons.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

thehomemaster posted:

I shouldn't buy more books but damnit you guys just won't shut up about Use of Weapons.

Libraries are a thing. :shrug:

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Too much effort.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

thehomemaster posted:

Too much effort.

Library on the kindle kinda owns.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

MonkeyBot posted:

Library on the kindle kinda owns.

gently caress that poo poo, they dumped tons of money and spent years lobbying preventing libraries from offering that service, just so they could turn around and charge you for the same service under their name. Screw those bastards

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

gently caress that poo poo, they dumped tons of money and spent years lobbying preventing libraries from offering that service, just so they could turn around and charge you for the same service under their name. Screw those bastards

There are lots of places to get ebooks online, even free.

Baen has most of their stuff online, then there's Gutenberg.... I'm sure there are others I'm not aware of.

Honestly at this point Calibre has been the best thing to happen to my book reading. I actually have too much stuff to read for once.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
You don't need to buy from amazon...

WarLocke posted:

Honestly at this point Calibre has been the best thing to happen to my book reading. I actually have too much stuff to read for once.

Hell yes.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

Fried Chicken posted:

I have a free app that borrows from my local library.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Is it worth it to continue with the Revelation Space series if the first one didn't do much for me?

I mean I liked some of the ideas in the book and I thought the middle section of the book was decent but I really didn't like how the last hundred pages are half lovely slasher movie last act and infodumps after infodumps. Especially when those infodumps were things that the book seemed like it was on the verge of explaining hundreds of pages ago but then cut off to switch to a new scene so they didn't ruin the surprise.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

0 rows returned posted:

and infodumps after infodumps. Especially when those infodumps were infodumps that the infodump seemed like it was on the verge of infodumping hundreds of infodump pages ago but then cut off to infodump to a new scene infodump so they didn't ruin the infodump.

Its really quite infuriating.... I can't really read things by this author because he saves the book for the last chapter.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

0 rows returned posted:

Is it worth it to continue with the Revelation Space series if the first one didn't do much for me?

I mean I liked some of the ideas in the book and I thought the middle section of the book was decent but I really didn't like how the last hundred pages are half lovely slasher movie last act and infodumps after infodumps. Especially when those infodumps were things that the book seemed like it was on the verge of explaining hundreds of pages ago but then cut off to switch to a new scene so they didn't ruin the surprise.

Read Redemption Ark, and if you don't like it, stop.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I felt a bit the same about revelation space, though I felt it was a bit more of a climax rather than info dump

redemption ark feels similar so far to revelation spaces start but with a little tighter focus because you know what the major plot issues are to some extent.

I'm continuing on since the idea is interesting and the writing is pretty good but he seems to have a bit of trouble really pulling things together

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Kellanved posted:

Reynolds has some good ones, that Sectioning thing in House of Suns... *shudder*

One of my favorites like this is in Absolution Gap when they put the dude in that life support coffin thingy in the ice on the outside of the ship and have drugs constantly being pumped into him that never allow him to sleep

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

:siren: LOGH novels and anime official English release :siren:

Peel fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 3, 2015

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
WHAAAAAAAAAAT

Dude seriously, that's really cool! Thanks for the heads-up!

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Whichever genie visited E3 stopped by Anime Expo on the way home.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's amazing, but is it any different than the videos/media already out? Or is it news because it's getting a dub or something, updated art?

I'm referring to the show, not the novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faceglaven
Oct 24, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Just finished it. Yep.

• Locked thread