Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
France loses her vassals but this frees up her diplorelation slots for allies. Overall after a few games France is stronger now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Speaking of all this, a bonus France update:

They released Leon in a war.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Elman posted:

Woah, how long did that take to make? Wish you could use something like the nation designer to build your client states instead of adding provinces one by one.

It took like 20 minutes and you can see the 3 Yemeni provinces I had to keep because I hosed up the client state creation and Yemen was at war so I couldn't return them.

I didn't have 90% in either node after the monthly recalculation, if you conquer all of both nodes and then release/client state down to 9 provinces it should fire but I'm not entirely sure how

Just get Poland to beat up the Ottomans for you and it gets easy once they're gone

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
France is a bit weaker at the start but that's counterbalanced by Castile somehow being completely terrible this patch. France will occasionally get clowned and lose a bunch of territory to Burgundy and England, but most of the time they seem to end up crushing the Iberians in a couple wars. They're still pretty terrifying, though Poland/Lithuania might be the scarier enemy early on.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Hey guys, I'm playing as an OPM Free City Nuremberg and after getting Wurzburg and Bavaria as Marches I can't seem to be able to sell them provinces that I took in war. Is it just because I'm in the HRE and get the "* is part of the Empire and Austria is the Emperor" for -1000 to the deal even at 0 gold cost, or is there another way of throwing provinces to vassals and marches that I just don't know about?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Castile is weaker because they lowered the development of Iberia relative to France. They don't have as much money or manpower anymore so they can't check a strong France as easily.

I've seen Burgundy do well as an AI but I tried to play them and it's terrible. The unions and vassals are tiny and very weak and you only have one free relation slot. You can't even integrate any of them because the union date is 1444 for some reason so you have 50 years of -3 relation slots, and they're on the HRE side of you so you can't feed France to them.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Plus they added the Castilian Civil War which wrecks them for at least 3~ years

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Trundel posted:

Hey guys, I'm playing as an OPM Free City Nuremberg and after getting Wurzburg and Bavaria as Marches I can't seem to be able to sell them provinces that I took in war. Is it just because I'm in the HRE and get the "* is part of the Empire and Austria is the Emperor" for -1000 to the deal even at 0 gold cost, or is there another way of throwing provinces to vassals and marches that I just don't know about?

You're supposed to transfer the occupation to your vassals and give them the provinces directly in the peace treaty, rather than taking them for yourself and passing them on later. There's a bunch of restrictions on what provinces you can sell someone, but they'll take just about anything in a peace treaty.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
In my last game France was completely eaten by Brittany, Burgundy and Spain. Late game Brittany re-formed France, but then I decided Paris needed to be in the Commonwealth...

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Yashichi posted:

Castile is weaker because they lowered the development of Iberia relative to France. They don't have as much money or manpower anymore so they can't check a strong France as easily.

I've seen Burgundy do well as an AI but I tried to play them and it's terrible. The unions and vassals are tiny and very weak and you only have one free relation slot. You can't even integrate any of them because the union date is 1444 for some reason so you have 50 years of -3 relation slots, and they're on the HRE side of you so you can't feed France to them.

I felt that burgundy was quite strong early on, especially because you can draw more on your vassals' manpower now. Once you wreck France in the first war you're set for the rest of the game.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

France has done fantastically in the 5 games or so I've started since the expansion. It's Muscovy that gets their poo poo kicked in every single time. 3 of those games the PLC never even formed and Lithuania would usually just curb stomp Poland/Muscovy simultaneously.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I really wanna say that Paradox has come a long way and the Teutonic Order has a bitchin' look to their troops (all military orders tbh).

Regarding development, please let me know if I got this thing right:

- spend MP only on surplus in regards to technology;

- increase base tax in the capital and provinces that have a certain level of it;

- increase production in provinces which have decent resources (copper, gold, textiles, silk, etc or have powerful unique modifiers);

- increase manpower in provinces worth nothing with grain or fish resources;

- if you are big, concentrate on major provinces;

- if you are tiny, develop everywhere.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
If you haven't tried the Papal States they're monstrously strong after Common Sense added a bunch of event bonuses for them.

For example, it's 1490 and I have:

Sistine Chapel +0.1 yearly Devotion (meh)
decorated Sistine Chapel +0.1 yearly Devotion, +1 Dip Rep (also could choose -1 RR or +0.5 Prestige instead of the dip rep)
Swiss Guard +25% Manpower
Vatican Library -5% tech cost, +5% Discipline (also could choose +1 Dip Rep or -1 RR instead of the Discipline)

Toss those near-guaranteed bonuses on top of your strong NI set and the fact you're small enough to join the HRE at the start and it's very :stare:

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Apoffys posted:

You're supposed to transfer the occupation to your vassals and give them the provinces directly in the peace treaty, rather than taking them for yourself and passing them on later. There's a bunch of restrictions on what provinces you can sell someone, but they'll take just about anything in a peace treaty.

Holy crap, thank you! I would never have discovered that button if you hadn't told me that the idea of it existed! Now my marches are stronk.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

Toss those near-guaranteed bonuses on top of your strong NI set and the fact you're small enough to join the HRE at the start and it's very :stare:

Can the pope become Emperor?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Traxis posted:

Can the pope become Emperor?

Nope, though that would be amusing. It's more for getting the Emperor off your case about expanding into the HRE provinces in northern Italy and the decent bonuses from reforms. You can form a unique Kingdom of God nation by conquering Italy which gives some more bonuses, doesn't change NIs.

I'm trying for the Holy Trinity achievement, not sure how I'll manage to vassalize the TO and LO, I think that'll be the trickiest part?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah I recently played some MP with some friends and one guy played the Papal States and we were kind of amazed at how well he was doing with it and the bonuses and events he kept getting, he also had some real nice warrior Pope generals.

It wouldn't be a nerf but I think it would make kind of sense if theocracies, with the exception of military orders like the Teutonic Order, lost some deotion if they turn their ruler into a general as, even though it happened, it was really frowned upon for a priest to be leading armies and going to war (at least in person).

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Nope, though that would be amusing. It's more for getting the Emperor off your case about expanding into the HRE provinces in northern Italy and the decent bonuses from reforms. You can form a unique Kingdom of God nation by conquering Italy which gives some more bonuses, doesn't change NIs.

I'm trying for the Holy Trinity achievement, not sure how I'll manage to vassalize the TO and LO, I think that'll be the trickiest part?

I think LO are the tricky part. You can release the TO from provinces because of their culture but I don't think you can LO.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Donald Duck posted:

I think LO are the tricky part. You can release the TO from provinces because of their culture but I don't think you can LO.

Yep that's mostly what I'm worried about. They're Prussian primary culture without any actual Prussian provinces, so they lose their cores quickly and if you let them get completely annexed you can't release them.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Pellisworth posted:

I made some posts about that achievement:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
To get the Kirishitan Japan achievement, do you have to remain a Daimyo? Having started as Ouchi, I've basically won the thunderdome at this point (which was loving hard), but have left Japan as an OPM because the achievement's conditions aren't exactly clear.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

If you haven't tried the Papal States they're monstrously strong after Common Sense added a bunch of event bonuses for them.

For example, it's 1490 and I have:

Sistine Chapel +0.1 yearly Devotion (meh)
decorated Sistine Chapel +0.1 yearly Devotion, +1 Dip Rep (also could choose -1 RR or +0.5 Prestige instead of the dip rep)
Swiss Guard +25% Manpower
Vatican Library -5% tech cost, +5% Discipline (also could choose +1 Dip Rep or -1 RR instead of the Discipline)

I'm enjoying my Papacy game, although I'm slightly annoyed that the Swiss refused to serve in my guard. So much for 25% manpower. :(

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

To get the Kirishitan Japan achievement, do you have to remain a Daimyo? Having started as Ouchi, I've basically won the thunderdome at this point (which was loving hard), but have left Japan as an OPM because the achievement's conditions aren't exactly clear.

You don't have to remain a daimyo but if you remain a daimyo you'll get access to a decision that'll allow for an easy conversion to catholic. If you form japan you'll have to let catholic rebels enforce their demands with a majority of catholic provinces. Which takes awhile but is what I did. It comes down to preference really.

If you decide to expand on the mainland as japan you'll need to culture convert provinces because your catholic event rebels only spawn in japanese cultured provinces.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

As a reformed ruler, can I get the pope as a vassal?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Transmetropolitan posted:

I really wanna say that Paradox has come a long way and the Teutonic Order has a bitchin' look to their troops (all military orders tbh).

Regarding development, please let me know if I got this thing right:

- spend MP only on surplus in regards to technology;

- increase base tax in the capital and provinces that have a certain level of it;

- increase production in provinces which have decent resources (copper, gold, textiles, silk, etc or have powerful unique modifiers);

- increase manpower in provinces worth nothing with grain or fish resources;

- if you are big, concentrate on major provinces;

- if you are tiny, develop everywhere.

I develop a lot of provinces where you just need 1 or 2 more to get another building slot, I like being able to spam buildings.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

double nine posted:

As a reformed ruler, can I get the pope as a vassal?

The pope will never accept diplo-vassalization. I can't remember if he accepts force-vassalization.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oh, I wasn't going to ask him ... (but he is currently my ally so I need to know when to stab in the back.

edit: what I've noticed is that every time I load my Savoy game I see an "achievements cannot be earned" text or something similar while the game is loading. Should I get worrying that one of my mods have changed the checksum or is that just a UI bug?

:eng99: I forgot to set ironman when I started this game.

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 28, 2015

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
I started up a Papal State game recently too and I have to say the reformation is infuriating. I've been in religious turmoil for about twenty years now and I can't convert the troublesome lands back because of the new religious zeal being unflippable. Worst part is that I finally got Treviso back to Catholicism and now a second Protestant center is working on flipping it back.

Really wish I had went humanist but I wanted admin for that sweet coring cost reduction.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I finally checked out the Custom Nation creator after picking up El Dorado during the summer sale, and that's a really neat idea/implementation/system. Only thing is that it makes me wish there was a map color selector for normal games all the more if it's (apparently, I have no idea if it actually is) easy enough to change the map color before you start a game. Just take that little 'Map Color 12/32' box and slide it under all the national info stuff on the right when you're picking an existing nation.

I just want to make gigantic obnoxious pink blobs all over the world, is that so much to ask for :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If you're not playing iron man it's trivial to change a country's color. Just go into eu4/countries/... open up whatever country you want to play, and color is like the third line. Just simple RGB values.

That's for regular nations anyway, I've never actually used custom nations, so I don't know how to fiddle with that.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I only play Ironman now that I'm actually properly into the game, because I'm the kind of baby that wouldn't be able to resist savescumming otherwise. Still, it'd just be a nice little feature, obviously not actually important or deserving of attention when stuff like the huge upcoming patch is on the horizon and being worked on and tested, but something nice to have ~eventually~.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

gently caress yeah. That is probably the hardest achievement I've done to date, next to The Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire, This is Persia!, Switzerlake, and maybe That's a Silk Road. Although I did the last one with the Ottomans so that probably doesn't count.

I went admin -> offensive -> influence -> quantity. When the league wars started, I had only one province that was protestant, so I had to quickly change religions and deal with the religious unrest disaster (whatever it is called) and made sure to declare the religious league CB before the Ottomans joined in. They rivaled both me and Austria, so it was a tossup who they'd join. France, a humongous Netherlands, and finally Poland-Lithuania joined on the protestant side and that's when I hit the big red button.

Influence was probably a bad choice for once. I didn't have lots of small people near me to vassalize. I should have gone diplomatic or trade, although I don't like taking trade very much unless I have a really, really good trade node. Now I just have to take the Baltic coastline from a Protestant Brandenburg and Catholic Commonwealth :saddowns:.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

VDay posted:

Yeah I only play Ironman now that I'm actually properly into the game, because I'm the kind of baby that wouldn't be able to resist savescumming otherwise. Still, it'd just be a nice little feature, obviously not actually important or deserving of attention when stuff like the huge upcoming patch is on the horizon and being worked on and tested, but something nice to have ~eventually~.

Well then I should clarify that I was using 'ironman' to mean 'unmodded, achievement enabled ironman'. You can still do ironman on modded games, it just won't count for achievements of course.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PittTheElder posted:

Well then I should clarify that I was using 'ironman' to mean 'unmodded, achievement enabled ironman'. You can still do ironman on modded games, it just won't count for achievements of course.

Yeah I gotcha. That's how I'm playing now because the achievements make for some pretty fun/interesting challenges that I probably wouldn't be able to think of myself. It's what's kept me interested in the game this time compared to my previous attempts to get into EU4 which always resulted in me just dicking around, cheating, and generally having a good time but quickly getting bored because surprise, being a giant invincible blob isn't all that exciting after a couple hundred years.

Node posted:

gently caress yeah.

Nice! Am I understanding the league wars mechanic correctly in that you have to be part of the HRE to take part in the war? How'd you go about that as Sweden, just take some of Denmark's lands and then join up? Thinking about going for the Sweden achievements once the patch comes out for realsies.

VDay fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 29, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

how on earth do you figure that?

Heavily is a bit dramatic, but they are weaker without their little vassal swarm.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

VDay posted:

Nice! Am I understanding the league wars mechanic correctly in that you have to be part of the HRE to take part in the war? How'd you go about that as Sweden, just take some of Denmark's lands and then join up? Thinking about going for the Sweden achievements once the patch comes out for realsies.

Your capital needs to be in Europe.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey so I'm looking at buying the new DLC but the Steam reviews are a lot of 'my favorite country doesn't play as it did' or 'it costs too many points to core/force religion/whatever.'

Is it a good DLC or should I just wait for patches? My CK2 game is nearing 1400 and I'm going to export to EU4 soon.

\/\/\/ yeah I figured I shouldn't take the Steam reviews at face value. thanks!

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 29, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Moridin920 posted:

Hey so I'm looking at buying the new DLC but the Steam reviews are a lot of 'my favorite country doesn't play as it did' or 'it costs too many points to core/force religion/whatever.'

Is it a good DLC or should I just wait for patches? My CK2 game is nearing 1400 and I'm going to export to EU4 soon.

It's good DLC. Paradox fans are infamously whiny.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Moridin920 posted:

e:fb but still: It is a great DLC, but the majority of Paradox game players are gigantic babies about change. The fort mechanics, development, and well pretty much everything about the expansion are A+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

The next big patch that tweaks this stuff is this week, and it looks like the only countries that will still be left holding the short end of the stick are the American ones, since they have low development/high building costs that are really punishing compared to the original Conquest of Paradise stuff.

• Locked thread