Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

scamtank posted:

I don't have the leveled lists handy right now, but it seems that they spawn far less often in pockets and urns than the standard money does. After a tour of the Reach that included some straggler draugr and maybe one Nordic ruin among the Forsworn camps, I only had something like 15 haralds to pawn off at Arnleif & Sons.

Does it override leveled lists or sneakily use a script to airdrop them in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Okay goons, I've finally gotten around to doing a full STEP Extended setup based on a clean install. From what I experienced while running it as I progressively installed the batches of mods, I'm very very happy with how it's turned out. The only problem is that as I started to accumulate more and more mods (243 for the final install), I began to experience CTDs either right when load/starting a new game, or soon after loading a save, especially when, say, loading a new area or opening the map. MO spits out error messages to the following effects:

code:
DEBUG (17:46:01.0120): createfile w: C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\DATA\TEXTURES\blood\hitsplatters.dds -> C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\Enhanced Blood Textures\TEXTURES\blood\hitsplatters.dds (80000000 - 3) = 00000E68 (0)
DEBUG (17:46:01.0299): createfile w: C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\DATA\TEXTURES\effects\gradients\gradblood.dds -> C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\Enhanced Blood Textures\TEXTURES\effects\gradients\gradblood.dds (80000000 - 3) = 00000CFC (0)
DEBUG (17:46:01.0366): createfile w: C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\DATA\TEXTURES\effects\gradients\gradblood02.dds -> C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\Enhanced Blood Textures\TEXTURES\effects\gradients\gradblood02.dds (80000000 - 3) = 00000CFC (0)
INFO (17:46:01.0396): Windows Exception (c0000005). Last hooked call: struct HINSTANCE__ *__stdcall LoadLibraryW_rep(const wchar_t *)
ERROR (17:46:01.0396): This is a critical error, the application will probably crash now.
DEBUG (17:46:01.0396): hooks removed
ERROR (17:46:01.0476): Crash dump created as C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\hook.dll.dmp. Please send this file to the developer of MO
-------------------------------
INFO (17:46:19.0029): Windows 6.1 (workstation)
INFO (17:46:19.0029): hook.dll v2.7.5
But, the files mentioned in the error message are different every time. Ones prior to this mention various textures in SMIM or Natural Eyes, for example. I've Googled around of course, but I haven't really found anything dealing with this exact issue. I'm not even sure if it is a Skyrim problem or a Mod Organizer problem. I've followed the STEP instructions to the letter, so I don't think it is a mod problem per se.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to a solution?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Is it always textures and meshes though? Could imply a file structure problem. Other then that I have no idea.

Also, Real Shelter owns. The dude has a batch file in there that detects every single other weather setup you have and makes a neat little bashed patch thing to make sure his changes carry over in the different types.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 27, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The coin replacer mod is well balanced, but it isn't compatible with gold adjustment. The morrowloot ultimate overhaul has a compatibility patch for it. Great mod.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Does it override leveled lists or sneakily use a script to airdrop them in?

It's just conventional list stuff, yeah, but it's just replacing the contents of the DraugrPocketMoneyAdjustment-type gold lists for the most part.

The only crimps could be the death items of draugr, draugr mages and falmer and the contents of nordic, dwarven and falmer urns/chests. Every last one of them just has the LootGoldChange, LootImperialLuck and LootGoldenTouch entries replaced with the mod's own LootGoldChangeDumac-and-so-on clones.
It also replaces every last static coin and purse in the appropriate dungeons with new currency, so it's probably wisest to let any lighting/otherwise cell-intensive mods override it.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Is there a console command to turn ghosts solid?

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Ariong posted:

I thought I did everything right with regards to liming my perk points with Skyrim Community Uncapper. Yet, Upon resetting my perks in SPERG I still have 6 points at level 7. Did I do this wrong?
code:
[PerksAtLevelUp]
;Set the number of perks gained at each level up. If a specific level is not specified then the closest lower level setting is used.
;Default game value is one perk per level (you can also use float as value, for example 1.25 per points per level)
; Level (2..10000) = Perks (0..255)
;
;In the following inactive commented example the player will gain 1 perk per level at and from level 2 to 9, then 2 perks per level at and from level 10 to 29,
; then 4 perks per level at and from level 30 to 94, then no perk at all per level for level 95 and above
;
;2=1
;10=2
;30=4
;95=0
2=0.5
999=1

Which ini did you edit? If you changed it in the sperg folder, try changing it in the community uncapper folder and see if that helps.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Since people seem to think this is interesting, I've begun work on the second :airquote: dungeon :airquote: of my mod, which is actually a fuckoff huge Dwemer tower of Babel:

Just to give a sense of scale, here's generic Nord guy standing next to one of the base pillars.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Agents are GO! posted:

Since people seem to think this is interesting, I've begun work on the second :airquote: dungeon :airquote: of my mod, which is actually a fuckoff huge Dwemer tower of Babel:

Just to give a sense of scale, here's generic Nord guy standing next to one of the base pillars.

Nice

Does it have a theme or focus in terms of the kind of player character it's mostly for? Is it for anyone, or more for magic users or sneaks or...?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
What are the best be a merchant/run a business mods for Skyrim?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

prometheusbound2 posted:

What are the best be a merchant/run a business mods for Skyrim?

Your Market Stall is pretty good. I'm using it in combination with More NPC Pocket Money so people in towns actually have enough cash to buy my stuff. It's also helpful to have something increasing the number of NPCs in towns so you can get more traffic at your stall. If you don't want to sit there yourself you can also make a follower run it for you. Mods that adjust the economy will also affect your prices -- I'm using Trade & Barter and set it so that if I sell to other merchants I barely get anything which encourages me to sell my loot myself instead of dumping it on an NPC vendor.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

Nice

Does it have a theme or focus in terms of the kind of player character it's mostly for? Is it for anyone, or more for magic users or sneaks or...?

I plan to take pains to make it worthwhile for all three archetypes (warrior/mage/thief.)

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Gyshall posted:

If you're installing with MO SPERG sometimes has issues with installing the Dawnguard/Dragonborn support and the Uncapper INI, I'd check to make sure you don't have a SPERG folder in your SPERG mod folder (if that makes sense.)

Hmmm... Seems I've been playing with sperg for a while now without it actually being installed correctly.
Installed through mo and selected the dlc addons. This creates a folder structure MO/mods/SPERG - Skyrim Perk Enhancements and Rebalanced Gameplay/sperg
While it appears to be functioning as intended, for the most part... The sperg-DG and sperg-DB esps never get added.
Changing the folder structure to the main(SPERG - Skyrim Perk Enhancements and Rebalanced Gameplay) folder, then firing up MO, now shows the 2 additional esps in the load order. Looking in game at the sperg options also shows more choices under the best friend type that weren't there before.

Thanks for the info.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Agents are GO! posted:

I plan to take pains to make it worthwhile for all three archetypes (warrior/mage/thief.)

I hope the "thief" option isn't just "skip the kicking-rear end-part on this whole side of the ruins if you pick the Adept lock on the door forward", but I trust you didn't need to be told that.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So it turns out I could take that 30 gigs of textures down to about 7 if I just cleaned up the directories and removed all the poo poo getting overwritten :v:

I've found the version of Vivid Landsacpes that is 2k/1k instead of the full 2k. Is there actually much visual loss there? Everything seems to suggest no more then yes but I have no real idea how that works.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 27, 2015

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gyshall posted:

The coin replacer mod is well balanced, but it isn't compatible with gold adjustment. The morrowloot ultimate overhaul has a compatibility patch for it. Great mod.

I just looked into this (the morrowloot ultimate overhaul) and it seems pretty awesome. How does it compare to the unofficial morrowloot-skyrim overhaul? Are either/both of these compatible with things that alter the level lists like heavy armory and immersive armors (can you bashed patch em together)?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Agents are GO! posted:

Nice, there does seem to be a scarcity of tower dungeons in Skyrim - everything is always in a cave or a mine it seems.

How brutal are we talking in terms of difficulty? I still have RPTSD from Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Tender Bender posted:

I just looked into this (the morrowloot ultimate overhaul) and it seems pretty awesome. How does it compare to the unofficial morrowloot-skyrim overhaul? Are either/both of these compatible with things that alter the level lists like heavy armory and immersive armors (can you bashed patch em together)?

Way more seamless than the unofficial overhaul and I think it has better base compatibility. The patches are great too. The patches all merge into the bashed patch

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hey, anyone else really bored with the worthless poo poo the jarls give you as your signature weapons? JarlRewards.esp makes every court give you a weapon that I tried to theme with the surrounding hold, both type and material with no repeats.

Whiterun: plain skyforge greatsword

Markarth: dwarven battle axe with a guaranteed damage enchantment

Falkreath: enchanted elven bow, for the most hunting-est hold

Riften: an enhanced crossbow, no Dawnguard involvement

Hjaalmarch: a huge, randomly enchanted ebony war hammer

The Pale: enchanted nordic mace, expensively imported because Igrod is a nord nazi

Winterhold: conjurer's panic button: glass dagger enchanted with a top-tier banishment effect

Eastmarch: a randomly enchanted stahlrim war axe, Solstheim is leaking

Haafingar: an innocent imperial sword that's a bit lighter, hits harder, is made from steel and throbs with a daedric-class fire enchantment

I confess I haven't tested it yet, but it's so simple that it shouldn't really conflict with anything besides overwriting those specific restorations by the Unofficial Patch. About the only thing I'm unsure of is that I made it start to finish in TES5Edit, but that shouldn't be a problem, right?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

scamtank posted:

Hey, anyone else really bored with the worthless poo poo the jarls give you as your signature weapons? JarlRewards.esp makes every court give you a weapon that I tried to theme with the surrounding hold, both type and material with no repeats.

Whiterun: plain skyforge greatsword

Markarth: dwarven battle axe with a guaranteed damage enchantment

Falkreath: enchanted elven bow, for the most hunting-est hold

Riften: an enhanced crossbow, no Dawnguard involvement

Hjaalmarch: a huge, randomly enchanted ebony war hammer

The Pale: enchanted nordic mace, expensively imported because Igrod is a nord nazi

Winterhold: conjurer's panic button: glass dagger enchanted with a top-tier banishment effect

Eastmarch: a randomly enchanted stahlrim war axe, Solstheim is leaking

Haafingar: an innocent imperial sword that's a bit lighter, hits harder, is made from steel and throbs with a daedric-class fire enchantment

I confess I haven't tested it yet, but it's so simple that it shouldn't really conflict with anything besides overwriting those specific restorations by the Unofficial Patch. About the only thing I'm unsure of is that I made it start to finish in TES5Edit, but that shouldn't be a problem, right?

A long time ago I started making a mod that did something like this, but didn't get too far. A goon made me a loving sw8 as hell mesh for a Staff of Winterhold which teleports you straight into town though, and I still use it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Way more seamless than the unofficial overhaul and I think it has better base compatibility. The patches are great too. The patches all merge into the bashed patch

Thanks, gonna try it out. I have questions about the installation though (since asking stupid questions is apparently all I do now). Installing with MO went smoother than I expected; with all the modular/patch stuff, I thought there'd be an options menu. Do I just check the "MLU.esp", and then merge the patch .esp's into a bashed patch and only activate them there? So when you say the patches merge into the bashed patch, that's the only place they come into play?

To answer my earlier question about getting the right trees to appear with DynDOLOD, the solution ended up being moving the DynDOLOD Output to the end of the load order. That might be obvious but in the youtube tutorial the guy didn't seem to do that so I thought it wasn't necessary. So if anyone else has that issue... do that.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 28, 2015

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Everything Burrito posted:

Your Market Stall is pretty good. I'm using it in combination with More NPC Pocket Money so people in towns actually have enough cash to buy my stuff. It's also helpful to have something increasing the number of NPCs in towns so you can get more traffic at your stall. If you don't want to sit there yourself you can also make a follower run it for you. Mods that adjust the economy will also affect your prices -- I'm using Trade & Barter and set it so that if I sell to other merchants I barely get anything which encourages me to sell my loot myself instead of dumping it on an NPC vendor.

Is there anything that lets you run your own tavern? I spend enough time in them, especially now that I have games to play*, that I may as well start saving up to run one once I take the inevitable arrow to the knee and have to retire from adventuring.

* if anyone looked at the blackjack mod but was turned off by the dumb looking MTG style cards, he's going to include a retex I made based on the official game art for the birth signs.

Here's the loose overwrite folder if you have the mod and want to see them now
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qc5uk4n3g4d926x/textures%20%282%29.zip?dl=0

------------

While lobbing fireballs around a bit ago, I suddenly realized how weird it is that they can't even knock things off a table. There are three different mods that apply physics to certain magic projectiles , but I don't know if they actually add weight like that. Anyone have any experience with any of them?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52619/
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/66305/
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/38336/

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I just reinstalled Skyrim in anticipation of another playthrough with some new mods after about two years and after reading through the OP and suggested mods, I spent the last 2 hours with Mod Organizer, disabling some mods that were apparently still subscribed through Steam workshop and now I'm both left with a bit of a mess according to Mod Organizer and not toooo thrilled to get into the game again.

Also, I'm kicking myself for not grabbing Dawnguard over the summer sale since a whole bunch of mods (Even better quest objectives, alternate start, timing is everything, the choice is yours) apparently require it and I only have Hearthfire and Dragonborn. Are the suggested mods in the OP outdated and there are some alternatives that don't require Dawnguard, or am I screwed?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
For those of you that didn't notice, a new set of unoffical patches came out today. The change logs seem large enough for it to be worth upgrading.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010

Mazz posted:

For those of you that didn't notice, a new set of unoffical patches came out today. The change logs seem large enough for it to be worth upgrading.

Do NOT upgrade if you use anything using Skyproc patchers, something broke bigtime and Arthmoor is blaming everything but UKSP as per standard procedure.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I upgraded the patches and I got a missing master error when running the DSR Skyproc.

Well herp-de-fuckin' derp for not reading the comments before updating.

EDIT: It appears to be the USKP that's causing problems with Skyproc mods, I found a file of the 2.1.1 version from a guy on Reddit and Skyrpoc is running fine now.

It appears to be just the USKP causing problems and not the DLC unofficial patches.

EDIT 2: The Skyproc patchers for Dual Sheath Redux and Automatic Variants ran fine. It's definitely the USKP causing problems.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 28, 2015

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Thanks for the heads up, I'll hold off on updating. This sort of thing is why I am glad MO has a downloads folder that I can keep different installers available in.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
If it's just the master that's broken, could you just use WB to change masters?

Or can you not get that far with SkyProc?

Haven't actually had to do that yet, so I didn't notice that problem.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

gently caress it, is Dawnguard worth the purchase? Haven't spent a lot of anything in the last 6 weeks, 20 bucks isn't going to hurt too much.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

gently caress it, is Dawnguard worth the purchase? Haven't spent a lot of anything in the last 6 weeks, 20 bucks isn't going to hurt too much.

I don't think Dawnguard's necessarily worth $20 [Dragonborn was so much more content for the same price, for instance], certainly not 3 years later like this but it's worth picking up. A lot of good mods assume/require you to have it, and crossbows are fun. I think Dawnguard also is what adds the Werewolf perk tree. If money's not a big object to you then go ahead and pick it up. I mean, even adding in the full price of all the DLC at their respective release I got way more than my money's worth out of Skyrim at this point.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The biggest thing you get out of DG are crossbows and mod compatibility, really. Legendary Edition is the expected standard these days after so many Steam fire sales.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Dawnguard has a pretty great story, some really trippy new worldspaces to explore, and gives you the only interesting companion character in the entire game. Well, not counting elaborate voice-acted mods. It's not as big as Dragonborn but I'd say its quality is on par. $20 is kinda steep for an add-on, you might want to wait for a sale, but it's definitely worth having.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Wait until the next Steam sale and the the legendary edition for cheap.

Dawnguard has the worst area in all of Skyrim, the purple slog called the Soul Cairn, but the crossbows are cool.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Dawnguard isn't so bad the first time through really, like yeah the soul cairn kinda blows but it's at least different enough from the rest of the worldspace to make it interesting on that initial trip. The worst part is the lack of a real map or landmarks to help you get through the thing. Which wouldn't be so bad if it was more visually interesting, but yeah that's why it's so terrible on repeat playthroughs. The Forgotten Vale has the same problem after the first time through, that and the sheer amount of falmer and cave systems without feeling like it has any decent save points to stop and do something else.

Dragonborn is way better about that stuff since Soltsheim is a closed world separate from the rest of the game with it's own overworld you can easily chart and explore. Getting around it from place to place feels manageable and there's tons of spots that naturally feel like good places to pause your progress.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Skyrim crashes to desktop randomly with no error message, sometimes I can play for a few hours with no issues, sometimes it's every few minutes- is there a solid guide somewhere to fixing CTD's? I did the memory fix and have tried a host of other suggestions (unofficial patches, loving with sound, ini settings e.t.c) and nothing seems to change. It did this prior to any mods too.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Dawnguard isn't so bad the first time through really, like yeah the soul cairn kinda blows but it's at least different enough from the rest of the worldspace to make it interesting on that initial trip. The worst part is the lack of a real map or landmarks to help you get through the thing.

I think that there's a plugin for Atlas Map Markers that includes more stuff for this area.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Just buy all the goddamn DLCs already. Christ.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

Skyrim crashes to desktop randomly with no error message, sometimes I can play for a few hours with no issues, sometimes it's every few minutes- is there a solid guide somewhere to fixing CTD's? I did the memory fix and have tried a host of other suggestions (unofficial patches, loving with sound, ini settings e.t.c) and nothing seems to change. It did this prior to any mods too.

This is some straight-up unrelated voodoo poo poo that I can't imagine could work I'm suggesting here, but: check inside C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Skyrim for a plugins.txt. Is there a Skyrim.esm at the top? If not, add one. If there's two, remove the other.

I had the former problem and read about someone fixing his issue with the latter. I've kept my mod load as cumbersome as ever, but the crashing between loading screens is just... gone.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Agents are GO! posted:

Just buy all the goddamn DLCs already. Christ.

This - the Legendary edition is like $15 sometimes, I think you could probably pick it up for that.

I think all of the DLC is worthwhile, especially when talking about content and whatnot. Crossbows own too, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

... the soul cairn kinda blows but it's at least different enough from the rest of the worldspace to make it interesting ...

That's basically what I thought of it. It's like being tossed into a different game. To me, being lost and confused was part of the appeal, like it adds to the nightmare vibe. The place really feels alien and unwelcoming and you want to get the hell out of there, but that seemed like the point of it.

For the record, I only played all the way through Dawnguard once, and I could definitely picture that part getting old.

Thinking about it now, I'm wondering why nobody has tried doing some kind of crazy aesthetic overhaul of that zone. Even messing with the ambient lighting scheme by itself might get pretty interesting results. Some visual landmarks for navigation wouldn't hurt. I had a lot of fun making my huge overhaul of Cidhna Mine, and I've always been open to the idea of overhauling some other game area that seems lacking. The Soul Cairn may be a solid candidate. I will probably give that a shot sometime.

• Locked thread