Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Pfft, yeah try saying that to me in real life. God I cant believe you think these things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Hating on mad max futy road is worse then gamergate.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, anybody else from the anti-anti-GG side wanna give their take on Anita Sarkeesian?

Cyron posted:

Hating on mad max futy road is worse then gamergate.
You say that, but have you seen it? It's like Michael Bay's Feminism: The Movie.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

SedanChair posted:

Yeah see the thing is, that argument actually becomes a good one when the issue at hand is totally manufactured and not real or significant in any way. The issues gamergate is trying to bring up are not real or meaningful, at all. They're not just lower priorities compared to those issues, they are literally not issues. By the way, this doesn't apply to the anti-GG response, or to the calling out of misogyny that led to the backlash in the first place; calling out misogyny is always a real issue.

Calling out misogyny is fine. Making extremely tenuous accusations of bigotry in the name of making ad revenue is scummy and manipulative.

Telling the Japanese to change their culture is technically cultural imperialism as well, but you'll have to sit through this video for Xfinity cable packages to read the rest of that post.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Cingulate posted:

This does not make it good. It also doesn't make it feminist, but that's not been the question.

It also doesn't necessarily make it appealing to women. Mad Max Fury Road had a 70% male audience, more male dominated than the Expendables 3 and 300 Rise of an Empire. Meanwhile, Pitch Perfect 2, which many feminist bloggers hated because it supposedly made sexist/racist/homophobic jokes (I haven't seen the movie, so I can't say if these criticisms are accurate or not), opened the same weekend and actually beat Mad Max for the #1 spot with a 75% female audience.

I still love the new Mad Max movie, but I just think it's funny that a movie that has been widely praised as the Most Feminist Movie Evar doesn't actually seem to appeal to women at large that much. But that really shouldn't be surprising, given how so many people spent 5 years blasting the Twilight movies as the most misogynistic movies ever made at the same time that those movies raked in 1.5 billion dollars at the global box office from an overwhelmingly female audience, or how the exact same thing happened with Fifty Shades of Grey this year.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cingulate posted:

So, anybody else from the anti-anti-GG side wanna give their take on Anita Sarkeesian?
You say that, but have you seen it? It's like Michael Bay's Feminism: The Movie.

It's actually pretty great and well written

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

INH5 posted:

It also doesn't necessarily make it appealing to women. Mad Max Fury Road had a 70% male audience, more male dominated than the Expendables 3 and 300 Rise of an Empire. Meanwhile, Pitch Perfect 2, which many feminist bloggers hated because it supposedly made sexist/racist/homophobic jokes (I haven't seen the movie, so I can't say if these criticisms are accurate or not), opened the same weekend and actually beat Mad Max for the #1 spot with a 75% female audience.

I still love the new Mad Max movie, but I just think it's funny that a movie that has been widely praised as the Most Feminist Movie Evar doesn't actually seem to appeal to women at large that much. But that really shouldn't be surprising, given how so many people spent 5 years blasting the Twilight movies as the most misogynistic movies ever made at the same time that those movies raked in 1.5 billion dollars at the global box office from an overwhelmingly female audience, or how the exact same thing happened with Fifty Shades of Grey this year.
It makes perfect sense though. Certain parts of patriarchy are most dangerous to men, rather than to women. Consider violence; be it war, or murder. In a sense, war and murder are the most masculine things there are. Most people who get murdered are men, most soldiers who are killed are men.

Video games and action movies promote the very thing that is killing men: masculinity.

Similarly, I've seen a bunch of gamers complain about their soft nerdy nature leads to them being bullied. Well, show me the last time you were playing a video game where the hero is a soft nerd, and not a masculine hard-rear end.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cingulate posted:

Its loving great movie. Great characters, great visual story telling, great action. Best action movie in a long rear end time.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Calling out misogyny is fine. Making extremely tenuous accusations of bigotry in the name of making ad revenue is scummy and manipulative.

Telling the Japanese to change their culture is technically cultural imperialism as well, but you'll have to sit through this video for Xfinity cable packages to read the rest of that post.

Dying for Big Bigotry's Ad Profit$

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

INH5 posted:

It also doesn't necessarily make it appealing to women. Mad Max Fury Road had a 70% male audience, more male dominated than the Expendables 3 and 300 Rise of an Empire. Meanwhile, Pitch Perfect 2, which many feminist bloggers hated because it supposedly made sexist/racist/homophobic jokes (I haven't seen the movie, so I can't say if these criticisms are accurate or not)

Pitch Perfect 2 varies from critic to critic. Most people agree that it's a well made movie and that it's a feminist victory that an all-female production topped the charts. Some people want to recognize that but also critique its off-color jokes and that's fine too. There's some people that don't acknowledge the former and pit it against Fury Road; those people are either mistaken or cafeteria feminists.

It's good for feminism that Mad Max did well and has directors considering Furiosa when creating female leads and hiring feminist consultants to assist in writing. It's good for feminism that Pitch Perfect 2 showed that producer concerns about female writers, directors, and audiences are unfounded. There is no reason to Sports Team feminism.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 28, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

It's actually pretty great and well written
Indeed, I now very well understand Michael Bay's take on feminism, and on 17 year olds.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Its loving great movie. Great characters, great visual story telling, great action. Best action movie in a long rear end time.
Much like Witcher 3.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

INH5 posted:

Were the Kill Bills considered Good Feminist films? My gut said yes, but the jezebels / mary sues werent around to praise / condemn em.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Indeed, I now very well understand Michael Bay's take on feminism, and on 17 year olds.
Much like Witcher 3.

Yeah. pretty much. Even if you being sarcastic.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So is there an actual point for this thread yet?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Cingulate posted:

Video games and action movies promote the very thing that is killing men: masculinity.

I dunno, heart disease and prostate cancer are pretty high up on that list as well.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I dunno, heart disease and prostate cancer are pretty high up on that list as well.
Ha, good point.

So, young men. Video games and action movies promote the very thing that is killing young men.

Though I meant not so much as in, things that kills most men, but things that mostly kills men.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Men not seeking medical care and preferring to try and tough things out is an aspect of toxic masculinity.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bholder posted:

So is there an actual point for this thread yet?

Debating and Discussing Gamergate and issues that spring forth from Gamergate.

So far it's been quite civil and enlightening outside of poo poo-and-run posts. Both sides are responding to each other instead of past each other, and misunderstandings are being corrected.

I hope you find something to contribute to this thread :)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

It makes perfect sense though. Certain parts of patriarchy are most dangerous to men, rather than to women. Consider violence; be it war, or murder. In a sense, war and murder are the most masculine things there are. Most people who get murdered are men, most soldiers who are killed are men.

Similarly, I've seen a bunch of gamers complain about their soft nerdy nature leads to them being bullied. Well, show me the last time you were playing a video game where the hero is a soft nerd, and not a masculine hard-rear end.

Mad Max isn't feminist because it's masculine? What the gently caress are you talking about?

e: I assume you're working under some crippling misapprehension that feminism can only support traditional "feminine" values, instead of violence and revolution. This is, of course, an immensely stupid position. It is actually anti-feminist and patriarchal, trying to reinforce gender roles.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

So far it's been quite civil and enlightening outside of poo poo-and-run posts. Both sides are responding to each other instead of past each other, and misunderstandings are being corrected.

This is not an optimal turn of events. Wouldn't it be much more pleasant if we got to stone a few self-confessed misogynists?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Mad Max isn't feminist because it's masculine? What the gently caress are you talking about?
I didn't say Max Max is non-feminist actually. Although, yes, I guess it's not? Depending on what you mean by feminism.

Though maybe this should rather all be rephrased with regards to Witcher 3 (which I've not played, much like I haven't managed to watch more than 15 minutes of Mad Max 4).

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Neurolimal posted:

Pitch Perfect 2 varies from critic to critic. Most people agree that it's a well made movie and that it's a feminist victory that an all-female production topped the charts. Some people want to recognize that but also critique its off-color jokes and that's fine too. There's some people that don't acknowledge the former and pit it against Fury Road; those people are either mistaken or cafeteria feminists.

It's good for feminism that Mad Max did well and has directors considering Furiosa when creating female leads and hiring feminist consultants to assist in writing. It's good for feminism that Pitch Perfect 2 showed that producer concerns about female writers, directors, and audiences are unfounded. There is no reason to Sports Team feminism.

Is it also good for feminism that Fifty Shades of Grey, a movie targeted at female audiences, directed by a woman, and based on a book written by a woman, made a whole bunch of money at the box office?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry, I guess I conflated your post with INH5's.

e:

Wait,

Cingulate posted:

This does not make it good. It also doesn't make it feminist, but that's not been the question.

What the hell?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Sorry, I guess I conflated your post with INH5's.

e:

Wait,

What the hell?
Necessary =!= sufficient.

INH5 posted:

Is it also good for feminism that Fifty Shades of Grey, a movie targeted at female audiences, directed by a woman, and based on a book written by a woman, made a whole bunch of money at the box office?
I guess you could, if you were so inclined, say that this is one good aspect of a bad thing. Much like WWII brought improvements in trauma care or something like that.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Cingulate posted:

No more heroes kind of fit that bill. the main character is a hard rear end but he is a huge loser and a gross nerd and was only killing just to get laid (which he doesn't at the end).

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cyron posted:

No more heroes kind of fit that bill. the main character is a hard rear end but he is a huge loser and a gross nerd and was only killing just to get laid (which he doesn't at the end).
Would you say the "main character is a huge loser and a gross nerd and was only killing just to get laid (which he doesn't at the end)" genre is your favourite video game genre?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Would you say the "main character is a huge loser and a gross nerd and was only killing just to get laid (which he doesn't at the end)" genre is your favourite video game genre?

You think violent games are sexist trash, we get it.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Cingulate posted:

not really, My favorite game is Yoshi island. I not too kin on big bugget "mature" games. I mean I love GTA but I more or less love the soundtrack and the free-roam nature then the story or the crime drama.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 28, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cyron posted:

not really, My favorite game is Yoshi island. I not too kin on big bugget "mature" games. I mean I love GTA but I more or less love the soundtrack and the free-roam nature then the story or the crime drama.

God i havent played that in years and now i want to again. my favorite series MGS , mass effect, arkham and a ton of others.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

You think violent games are sexist trash, we get it.
I guess as a descriptive statement, I do assume the majority of violent games is probably sexist trash.

But that's not why they're bad, they could be very mildly sexist, or progressive, and still be very bad.

Cyron posted:

not really, My favorite game is Yoshi island. I not too kin on big bugget "mature" games. I mean I love GTA but I more or les love the soundtrack and the free-roam nature then the story.
Man I love GTA. Like, with the cars. The music is very good, especially the rap.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

That's weird because I see nothing like this at all.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Cingulate posted:

Sure, there is stuff like Unepic ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/233980/) where you play as a nerd that got teleported to a magic castle while going to the bathroom during a D&D game.

Going back even further to the SNES era there was Another World (http://store.steampowered.com/app/233550/) and (at least for the firth half) Lester the Unlikely.

I mean they are there just not 100% mainstream. And certainly rarely in a big release AAA title if that is what you really mean.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i adore video games. they are excellent fun and i am always happy when a new one is released that I enjoy or other people enjoy. game on friends

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BexGu posted:

Sure, there is stuff like Unepic ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/233980/) where you play as a nerd that got teleported to a magic castle while going to the bathroom during a D&D game.

Going back even further to the SNES era there was Another World (http://store.steampowered.com/app/233550/) and (at least for the firth half) Lester the Unlikely.

I mean they are there just not 100% mainstream. And certainly rarely in a big release AAA title if that is what you really mean.
Yes. I did not mean to imply every video game ever is Arnold Schwarzenegger 3: The Penis With The Bacon Moustache.

I do have a vague impression video games have gotten more in line with the general Hollywood ideal of violence/masculinity over time. Like, there's still stuff like Tetris, but it's proportionally less. But maybe that's just because one remembers stuff like Frogger and Tetris more than countless attempts at being super masculine from back then.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cingulate posted:

Like, there's still stuff like Tetris

Tetris is Soviet propaganda though.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 28, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cingulate posted:

Yes. I did not mean to imply every video game ever is Arnold Schwarzenegger 3: The Penis With The Bacon Moustache.

I do have a vague impression video games have gotten more in line with the general Hollywood ideal of violence/masculinity over time. Like, there's still stuff like Tetris, but it's proportionally less. But maybe that's just because one remembers stuff like Frogger and Tetris more than countless attempts at being super masculine from back then.

That doesn't seem to jive with my experience of the 90s at all.

There were abstract games, yes, but there was a ton of stuff like Duke Nukem and other things aping action/fantasy movies and books of the time.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bholder posted:

That's weird because I see nothing like this at all.

Perhaps you could air your grievances with the current discussion, so that they may be remedied?

Being ironically detached from the thread might earn you cool points, but it's not particularly useful for improving the sebate, when your audience is not composed of mind readers.

INH5 posted:

Of course? It's good to have films with sexualized male leads that targets female audiences. The dangerous lack of precautions in its display of S&M are worrying, but that kind of carelessness is common in erotica, and it has inspired members to explain what it does "wrong" so as to avoid mishaps, so it has a positive impact in spite of this fact.

I feel like you were hoping for a "Gotcha" here, which leaves me confused.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 28, 2015

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

So somebody clue me in on what Yatzee has (if anything) to do with Gamergate? Some doofs on another forum keep using GG as a gateway to attack him for his video reviews with maximum nerd rage, but whenever I ask they don't bother to elaborate on what he has to do with it? Did he say something dumb or is this just dorks using rumors to attack the dude for other reasons?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parrotine posted:

So somebody clue me in on what Yatzee has (if anything) to do with Gamergate? Some doofs on another forum keep using GG as a gateway to attack him for his video reviews with maximum nerd rage, but whenever I ask they don't bother to elaborate on what he has to do with it? Did he say something dumb or is this just dorks using rumors to attack the dude for other reasons?

He wrote one or two opinion pieces saying things about Gamergate.

People then got mad. That's pretty much it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...h-Gender-Choice

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...ss-vs-Language-

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Cingulate posted:

I've been waiting patiently for someone to make the argument that video game violence is a misandric trope
it's finally happening

• Locked thread